Posted to rec.food.cooking
GD GD is offline

Default Good recipes with Shrimp

Hey everyone,

I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
GD > wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

I generally just gently fry them up and eat them as a side dish.
They are also excellent in Omelets and Quesadillas.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GD wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

I like making shrimp "fajitas". (I put fajitas in quotes because we all
know a fajita is a cut of meat.) I saute the shrimp in minced garlic and
olive oil and remove them from the pan. Next I take chopped bell peppers
and chopped sweet onion to the skillet and add cumin, corriander, more
garlic, olive oil, chili pepper seasoning and I think that's about it. Oh,
I add some lime juice, too! I've also added tequila in the past.

Put the shrimp back in and slap it into a tortilla with some cilantro - if
you like it, which I do. I occasionally add avocado as well, if they're
ripe and on sale.

Stir-fry is easy. Like my shrimp "fajitas", cook the shrimp first, remove
and then add your veggies. I usually use bamboo shoots, broccoli, onion,
water chestnuts, carrots, pea pods, bean sprouts, garlic, ginger, baby corn
and celery. When the veggies are cooked I add sesame oil, mirin, shoyu, a
touch of rice vinegar and a pinch of either raw sugar or brown sugar. If I
have pineapple juice I don't use the sugar. Sometimes a splash of balsamic
is good in there instead of rice vinegar. Throw the shrimp back in and
serve over rice or noodles. Fried wonton strips can be sprinkled on top as
well as toasted sesame seeds.

Anyway, that's what I do. Then again, there's always scampi. Garlic,
butter, shrimp, parsley, pasta, parmesan, olive oil, dry white wine......
yum!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GD wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

Cut up a skinless, boneless breast of chicken, saute in butter, shallots
and garlic till almost done, a matter of a few minutes, add raw shelled,
deveined shrimp and continue to cook till shrimp is done, add a cup or
so of a good white wine and let reduce a bit, serve over pasta or rice.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

GD said...

> Hey everyone,
>
> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

Shrimp Lejon is a very delicious shrimp dish, imho.

This recipe is all over the web. My only recommendation would be to cook
the bacon halfway done, then assemble and bake (flipping as needed).

---------------------
Title: Shrimp Lejon
Yield: 2 Servings

Ingredients

6 lg Shrimp; deveined and
butterflied
3 oz Horseradish; squeezed dry
6 sl Bacon
Sauce Remoulade

Instructions

Fill the shrimp with horseradish. Wrap each shrimp tightly with a slice of
bacon and secure with a wooden toothpick. Bake at 375 F until brown. Place
on a warmed platter and serve with Sauce Remoulade.

SAUCE REMOULADE:
1 pint mayonnaise
1 ounce capers, drained and chopped
1 ounce cornichons, chopped
1 1/2 Tbl fresh chives, chopped
1 1/2 Tbl fresh chervil, chopped
1 1/2 Tbl fresh tarragon, chopped
1/2 Tbl Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste Worcestershire sauce Tabasco
Combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
Guy Reibold, Executive Chef of Stouffer Harborplace Hotel.
[The Baltimore Sun; Dec 11, 1991]
-------------------

I don't know what to make of the "Salt and pepper, to taste Worcestershire
sauce Tabasco" ingredient.

Enjoy,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article . com>,
> GD > wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
>> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
>> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
>> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

> I generally just gently fry them up and eat them as a side dish.
> They are also excellent in Omelets and Quesadillas.
> --

I love them as a side too, with a touch of chili oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GD wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

One of my favourites is chilli shrimp. Shell a pound of large shrimp and
marinate for about 10 minutes with 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. sesame oil. Mince
about an inch or so of fresh ginger and a nice big glove of garlic. Put a
little oil in a hot wok, toss in the garlic and ginger, stir it around and
then add the shrimp and then a good handful off snow peas and one or two
chopped green onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
tom tom is offline

GD wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

This recipie works just as well with shrimp:

Crawfish Etouffee

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

6 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons flour

2 cups chopped onions

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped bell pepper

6 cloves garlic, minced

2 bay leaves

2 sprigs fresh thyme

2 1/2 cups fish or shrimp stock

1 cup peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Hot pepper sauce

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

2 pounds crawfish tails, with the fat

1/2 lemon, juiced

1 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup chopped parsley

Cooked white rice, for serving

In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and whisk in
flour to combine well. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until roux is
a peanut butter color.

Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme and cook
until vegetables are soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, salt,
red pepper, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.

Skim surface, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 30 minutes,
stirring occasionally.

Add crawfish tails and fat, lemon juice, green onions, and parsley and cook
for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter and stir
to combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve over hot
rice.

Yield: 8 servings

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

Difficulty: Medium

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tom > wrote:

>This recipie works just as well with shrimp:
>
>Crawfish Etouffee

Heresy, I say!

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GD" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hey everyone,
>
> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.

Tonight's dinner will be chicken cooked with shrimp and mushrooms. I'll fry
up some garlic in butter, add some cubed chicken breasts and sliced
mushrooms, probably cremini and or portabella, sauté till done, toss in the
shrimp and some cream or half and half and when hot toss in some freshly
grated parmesan. Serve over pasta.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:08:50 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>GD wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
>> good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
>> goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
>> week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.
>>

>Cut up a skinless, boneless breast of chicken, saute in butter, shallots
>and garlic till almost done, a matter of a few minutes, add raw shelled,
>deveined shrimp and continue to cook till shrimp is done, add a cup or
>so of a good white wine and let reduce a bit, serve over pasta or rice.

I do that without the chicken, however yours is gout friendly. Maybe
I can make it for my hubby who loves shrimp, but can't eat much now.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:08:50 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>

>>GD wrote:
>>
>>>Hey everyone,
>>>
>>>I was curious what goes well with Shrimp. I know a stir-fry sounds
>>>good, but perhaps you have some specifics you can mention about what
>>>goes in the stir-fry or how you cook it. I'm going on vacation next
>>>week and might be cooking up some of the little guys.
>>>

>>Cut up a skinless, boneless breast of chicken, saute in butter, shallots
>>and garlic till almost done, a matter of a few minutes, add raw shelled,
>>deveined shrimp and continue to cook till shrimp is done, add a cup or
>>so of a good white wine and let reduce a bit, serve over pasta or rice.

> I do that without the chicken, however yours is gout friendly. Maybe
> I can make it for my hubby who loves shrimp, but can't eat much now.

Cooking chicken and shrimp together is one of my favourite flavour
combos, i occasionally make a shrimp stuffing for a chicken.

SHRIMP STUFFING
Method
1 large Onion, chopped
3 cup Sliced mushrooms
2 tb Butter
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup Diced sweet red pepper
1/4 cup Diced green onions
1/2 lb Bay shrimp, cooked
2 cup white wine

Saute onion and mushrooms in butter in skillet until lightly browned.
Add salt, white pepper, red pepper, green onions, shrimp and wine.
Simmer over medium heat until liquid is reduce to glaze, stirring
occasionally. Cool.

The above can be made with corn bread or other breads, and the original
recipe i adapted calls for sherry instead of white wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

GD > wrote:

> I was curious what goes well with Shrimp.

Scampi alla Buzara, a recipe from _The Food of Venice_ by Luigi
Veronelli. BTW, this recipe and method is as much Dalmatian as it is
Venetian in origin.

Victor

Scampi alla Buzara
Shrimp Buzara-Style

In this dish from Venice's Trattoria Corte Sconta, shrimp are cooked
using the "buzara" method, a method used to cook all kinds of seafood in
Venice and the surrounding area. Try this with calamari or mussels,
too.

3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 3/4 lb (800 g) medium shrimp (prawns), cleaned and deveined
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup (250 ml) dry white wine
Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
3/4 cup (180 ml) tomato purée
1 tablespoon bread crumbs
1/2 golden delicious, or other sweet apple, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

In a large skillet, cook the garlic and shrimp in the oil. When they
turn pink, add the wine. Allow the wine to evaporate. Season to taste
with salt and pepper. Add the tomato purée, the bread crumbs, and the
grated apple. Stir and cook until the sauce has thickened,
approximately 5 minutes.

Discard garlic. Arrange the shrimp on a serving plate. Pour the sauce
over the shrimp. Sprinkle on parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes > wrote in news:5755d$4697d25f$4396ff4d
:

> The above can be made with corn bread or other breads, and the original
> recipe i adapted calls for sherry instead of white wine

How much bread? Cubed fresh, crumbled stale?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote in news:5755d$4697d25f$4396ff4d
> :
>

>>The above can be made with corn bread or other breads, and the original
>>recipe i adapted calls for sherry instead of white wine

> How much bread? Cubed fresh, crumbled stale?

what kind of bird or other meat do you want to stuff? for a small
chicken a couple of cups of fresh unseasoned bread would be my preference.
--
JL