Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Nice piece on cooking a "chuck roll"

Ran into this while surfing cooker sites. This cut seems to evaded for
the most part a presence on afb. Anybody ever try one of these
monsters? Also looks like a nice alternative to the usual gang of
four.

The method described indicates the writer knows what they're doing.

http://www.peoriacustomcookers.com/n...chuckroll.html

Pierre
Who doesn't work there.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:

> Ran into this while surfing cooker sites. This cut seems to evaded for
> the most part a presence on afb. Anybody ever try one of these
> monsters? Also looks like a nice alternative to the usual gang of
> four.
>

> The method described indicates the writer knows what they're doing.
>
> http://www.peoriacustomcookers.com/n...chuckroll.html
>
> Pierre
> Who doesn't work there.

The chuck rolls I get run around 20 lbs. I almost always cut
them in half and freeze one piece, cook the other. Works
great.

I think that's one of the reasons it's not a real popular
cut... people think they need to cook the whole thing at once.
At 50% shrinkage, you end up with 10 lbs of meat.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:
> Ran into this while surfing cooker sites. This cut seems to evaded
> for the most part a presence on afb. Anybody ever try one of these
> monsters? Also looks like a nice alternative to the usual gang of
> four.
>

> The method described indicates the writer knows what they're doing.
>
> http://www.peoriacustomcookers.com/n...chuckroll.html
>
> Pierre
> Who doesn't work there.

Well they are only 9 miles from me so I will have to go check them out. They
really slipped under my radar. I guess that I have been looking for
terrorist and tornados too much.

--
Master Chef Richard Campbell
100% Delightfully Evil for Your Protection

I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day
long and I assume they deserve it. --Dogbert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> Pierre wrote:
>
> > Ran into this while surfing cooker sites. This cut seems to evaded
> > for the most part a presence on afb. Anybody ever try one of these
> > monsters? Also looks like a nice alternative to the usual gang of
> > four.
> >

> > The method described indicates the writer knows what they're doing.
> >
> > http://www.peoriacustomcookers.com/n...chuckroll.html
> >

> The chuck rolls I get run around 20 lbs. I almost always cut
> them in half and freeze one piece, cook the other. Works
> great.
>
> I think that's one of the reasons it's not a real popular
> cut... people think they need to cook the whole thing at once.
> At 50% shrinkage, you end up with 10 lbs of meat.

Is that a boneless cut?

I think it is from reading the following site, but I'm not sure.

<http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=15>

I also didn't seem any mention of bone in the site Pierre mentioned.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default User wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>

>>The chuck rolls I get run around 20 lbs. I almost always cut
>>them in half and freeze one piece, cook the other. Works
>>great.
>>
>>I think that's one of the reasons it's not a real popular
>>cut... people think they need to cook the whole thing at once.
>>At 50% shrinkage, you end up with 10 lbs of meat.

> Is that a boneless cut?
>
> I think it is from reading the following site, but I'm not sure.
>
> <http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=15>
>
> I also didn't seem any mention of bone in the site Pierre mentioned.

Yup, it's boneless. Ask for an NAMP #116A

<http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=15>

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Fri, 05 May 2006 00:54:41 GMT, Reg wrote:
>

>>Yup, it's boneless. Ask for an NAMP #116A
>>
>><http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=15>

> I didn't realize a whole chuck eye roll (#116D) weighed 8-14lbs.

A bit more, where I get them. They run 18-20.

> I like that cut for cooking med-rare, but they never separate it
> here in TX that I've seen.

Yes! Parts of rib end are relatively tender and can be cooked
medium rare. The rest gets smoked till pullable, or braised.

--
Reg