Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So...What the heck is german chocolate? /w recipe

This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday. If
I figure out what German chocolate is....

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Stacy's Chocolate Chip Cake

alan

pam to prep tube pan
flour for dusting
4 oz german chocolate
1 18.25 oz pkg plain yellow cake mix
1 3.4 oz pkg vanilla instant puddingt mix
1 cup whole milk
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
icing sugar for garnish

Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325F

Pam a 10 inch bunt pan then dust with flour; shake out excess.

Finely Grate german chocolate.

Add cake mix, pudding mix ,milk ,oil and eggs to a large mixing bowl.
Mix
on low speed for a minute then fold in the grated chocolate and scrape
down
the sides. Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes more, scraping
down the sides if required. fold in the chocolate chips. The batter
should
look well blended and chocolate chips evenly distributed.

Pour batter into prepared tube pan.

Bake cake till golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed 50 to
60
minutes.

Dust with icing sugar

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 9:13?pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday. If
> I figure out what German chocolate is....
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Stacy's Chocolate Chip Cake
>
> alan
>
> pam to prep tube pan
> flour for dusting
> 4 oz german chocolate
> 1 18.25 oz pkg plain yellow cake mix
> 1 3.4 oz pkg vanilla instant puddingt mix
> 1 cup whole milk
> 1 cup vegetable oil
> 4 large eggs
> 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
> icing sugar for garnish
>
> Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325F
>
> Pam a 10 inch bunt pan then dust with flour; shake out excess.
>
> Finely Grate german chocolate.
>
> Add cake mix, pudding mix ,milk ,oil and eggs to a large mixing bowl.
> Mix
> on low speed for a minute then fold in the grated chocolate and scrape
> down
> the sides. Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes more, scraping
> down the sides if required. fold in the chocolate chips. The batter
> should
> look well blended and chocolate chips evenly distributed.
>
> Pour batter into prepared tube pan.
>
> Bake cake till golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed 50 to
> 60
> minutes.
>
> Dust with icing sugar
>
> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.81 **
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>
> It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
> Elbonian Folklore

German Chocolate is a brand name not a special type of sweetened
baking chocolate. I think any good quality sweetened or semi-sweet
baking chocolate would work well. Your recipe is identical to a recipe
I used to crank out multiple bundt cakes for a bake sale recently.
Only variations are the addition of the grated German Chocolate (which
sounds good) and the
1 C chocolate bits. My recipe specified 1 C MINIATURE semi-sweet
chocolate bits, and I'd suggest you use those rather than the full
sized which will sink in this batter before the cake sets. Rather
than just dusting w/ confectioner's sugar, I made a simple chocolate
glaze to drizzle over mine. Big Big Hit.

Happy Birthday!
Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday.
> If I figure out what German chocolate is....

(snipped recipe)

Baker's (brand) German Chocolate. Comes in a bar that separates into
smaller squares, found on the baking aisle.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ntantiques > wrote in
oups.com:

> On Jun 15, 9:13?pm, hahabogus > wrote:
>> This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday.
>> If I figure out what German chocolate is....
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Stacy's Chocolate Chip Cake
>>
>> alan
>>
>> pam to prep tube pan
>> flour for dusting
>> 4 oz german chocolate
>> 1 18.25 oz pkg plain yellow cake mix
>> 1 3.4 oz pkg vanilla instant puddingt mix
>> 1 cup whole milk
>> 1 cup vegetable oil
>> 4 large eggs
>> 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
>> icing sugar for garnish
>>
>> Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325F
>>
>> Pam a 10 inch bunt pan then dust with flour; shake out excess.
>>
>> Finely Grate german chocolate.
>>
>> Add cake mix, pudding mix ,milk ,oil and eggs to a large mixing
>> bowl. Mix
>> on low speed for a minute then fold in the grated chocolate and
>> scrape down
>> the sides. Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes more,
>> scraping down the sides if required. fold in the chocolate chips. The
>> batter should
>> look well blended and chocolate chips evenly distributed.
>>
>> Pour batter into prepared tube pan.
>>
>> Bake cake till golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed 50
>> to 60
>> minutes.
>>
>> Dust with icing sugar
>>
>> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.81 **
>>
>> --
>>
>> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>>
>> It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
>> Elbonian Folklore

> German Chocolate is a brand name not a special type of sweetened
> baking chocolate. I think any good quality sweetened or semi-sweet
> baking chocolate would work well. Your recipe is identical to a recipe
> I used to crank out multiple bundt cakes for a bake sale recently.
> Only variations are the addition of the grated German Chocolate (which
> sounds good) and the
> 1 C chocolate bits. My recipe specified 1 C MINIATURE semi-sweet
> chocolate bits, and I'd suggest you use those rather than the full
> sized which will sink in this batter before the cake sets. Rather
> than just dusting w/ confectioner's sugar, I made a simple chocolate
> glaze to drizzle over mine. Big Big Hit.
>
> Happy Birthday!
> Nancy T

Well first off I was going to replace the milk with sour cream so using
mini chips shouldn't bother the modified recipe much.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

It'll be a sunny day in August,
when the Moon will shine that night- Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 10:08 pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> ntantiques > wrote groups.com:
>

> > On Jun 15, 9:13?pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> >> This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday.
> >> If I figure out what German chocolate is....

> >> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

> >> Stacy's Chocolate Chip Cake

> >> alan

> >> pam to prep tube pan
> >> flour for dusting
> >> 4 oz german chocolate
> >> 1 18.25 oz pkg plain yellow cake mix
> >> 1 3.4 oz pkg vanilla instant puddingt mix
> >> 1 cup whole milk
> >> 1 cup vegetable oil
> >> 4 large eggs
> >> 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
> >> icing sugar for garnish

> >> Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325F

> >> Pam a 10 inch bunt pan then dust with flour; shake out excess.

> >> Finely Grate german chocolate.

> >> Add cake mix, pudding mix ,milk ,oil and eggs to a large mixing
> >> bowl. Mix
> >> on low speed for a minute then fold in the grated chocolate and
> >> scrape down
> >> the sides. Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes more,
> >> scraping down the sides if required. fold in the chocolate chips. The
> >> batter should
> >> look well blended and chocolate chips evenly distributed.

> >> Pour batter into prepared tube pan.

> >> Bake cake till golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed 50
> >> to 60
> >> minutes.

> >> Dust with icing sugar

> >> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.81 **

> >> --

> >> The house of the burning beet-Alan

> >> It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
> >> Elbonian Folklore

> > German Chocolate is a brand name not a special type of sweetened
> > baking chocolate. I think any good quality sweetened or semi-sweet
> > baking chocolate would work well. Your recipe is identical to a recipe
> > I used to crank out multiple bundt cakes for a bake sale recently.
> > Only variations are the addition of the grated German Chocolate (which
> > sounds good) and the
> > 1 C chocolate bits. My recipe specified 1 C MINIATURE semi-sweet
> > chocolate bits, and I'd suggest you use those rather than the full
> > sized which will sink in this batter before the cake sets. Rather
> > than just dusting w/ confectioner's sugar, I made a simple chocolate
> > glaze to drizzle over mine. Big Big Hit.

> > Happy Birthday!
> > Nancy T

> Well first off I was going to replace the milk with sour cream so using
> mini chips shouldn't bother the modified recipe much.

You tweaked my tiny brain - just went back & checked my recipe - I
used sour cream too. Here's the ingredient list & proportions:
· 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
· 1 (3.9 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
· 1 cup vegetable oil
· 4 eggs
· 1/2 cup hot water
· 1 cup sour cream
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Save a slice for me,
Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> hahabogus wrote:
>> This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday.
>> If I figure out what German chocolate is....
>>

> (snipped recipe)
>
> Baker's (brand) German Chocolate. Comes in a bar that separates into
> smaller squares, found on the baking aisle.

"German" is the surname of the man who invented this particular
formulation of ordinary chocolate for the Baker's Chocolate Company in
the 1800s. It was originally called German's Sweet Chocolate, but that
has seen been shortened to German chocolate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
:

> First off, here is a little ditty from snopes on German chocolate cake:

Second off, I'm not making a german chocolate cake....but a chocolate
chip cake from a mix.

A heavily modified version thereof...replacing all mention of milk with
sour cream, instant vanilla pudding with pistachio, and under advisment
replacing the chocolate chips with mini chocolate chips (so they all will
stay suspended). I'm also using extra chocolate chips as I can't find
german chocolate readily. I am going to make a chocolate glaze for this
bundt cake using strong coffee, cocoa and icing sugar, as well (another
thing not mentioned in the cookbook). Maybe I should use chocolate
pudding and cut back on the choco chips....no mustn't modify
modifications. I'll get too confused that way. Stick with the plan.
That's the ticket! Anyways since I gotta make my own birthday cake I'll
make any damn one I want.

The unadulterated recipe can be found on page 42 of the cookbook Cake
Doctor (also I posted it). I don't have the book in front of me, as I was
looking at it when the daughter came over...so she has of course,
borrowed it. So I can't tell you whom the author is. I had to get by from
a quick scan of page 42 & 43. Aren't puters a handy thing when you have
kids. This cookbook has many ways to modify (improve) boxed cake
mixes...so I figured I too can mess with the recipe.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:40:50 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>This cookbook has many ways to modify (improve) boxed cake
>mixes...so I figured I too can mess with the recipe.

I don't think there is a recipe which you don't modify, Alan..right
from the get go.
Have you ever made a recipe exactly as it is written?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:40:50 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>>This cookbook has many ways to modify (improve) boxed cake
>>mixes...so I figured I too can mess with the recipe.

> I don't think there is a recipe which you don't modify, Alan..right
> from the get go.
> Have you ever made a recipe exactly as it is written?
>
> Christine

Well I think back in the 60's I stuck with the recipes. I do get good
ideas for what to make from recipes...But I do change them to suit my
needs. Many people do...leave out the olives or coconut (because you
don't care for them) or add more garlic is the way it starts for many
people. I have a desire to be artistic but can neither draw, paint or
write well so...that leaves recipes.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 8:40 am, hahabogus > wrote:
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote :
>
> > First off, here is a little ditty from snopes on German chocolate cake:

> Second off, I'm not making a german chocolate cake....but a chocolate
> chip cake from a mix.

If you gave half a shit about quality, you wouldn't be making the
piece of crap cake you're intending to make.

The regular German Chocolate cake is a joy. The texture is lovely,
and the technique of separating the eggs and beating the whites, when
done well, works for many other cakes as well. The substitutions one
can make are using a better chocoate (such as Ghirardelli), and
substituting English walnuts (or better yet, hickory nuts) for all or
part of the pecans in the frosting.
I've also heard of baking it in a water bath, but my wife doesn't do
that, and hers is great.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
:

> hahabogus > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> First off, here is a little ditty from snopes on German chocolate
>>> cake:
>>>

>> Second off, I'm not making a german chocolate cake....but a chocolate
>> chip cake from a mix.

> Sorry, my impression was that you were seeking what German chocolate
> was. My mistake.
>
> Michael

No mistakes...I was wondering what german chocolate was...but not german
chocolate cake.... I probably (due to my ignorance misled you or
misunderstood your reply)...All is forgiven... The recipe called for
grated german chocolate and I didn't know what that was.

Apparently it is a type of sugar added chocolate invented by a guy called
German. And instead of German's it is called German.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 06:59:11 -0700, =?iso-8859-1?B?Qk9CT0JPbm9CT64=?=
> wrote:

>On Jun 16, 8:40 am, hahabogus > wrote:
>> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote :
>>
>> > First off, here is a little ditty from snopes on German chocolate cake:

>> Second off, I'm not making a german chocolate cake....but a chocolate
>> chip cake from a mix.
>>

>If you gave half a shit about quality, you wouldn't be making the
>piece of crap cake you're intending to make.
>
>The regular German Chocolate cake is a joy. The texture is lovely,
>and the technique of separating the eggs and beating the whites, when
>done well, works for many other cakes as well. The substitutions one
>can make are using a better chocoate (such as Ghirardelli), and
>substituting English walnuts (or better yet, hickory nuts) for all or
>part of the pecans in the frosting.
>I've also heard of baking it in a water bath, but my wife doesn't do
>that, and hers is great.

Bow-tie man and one of his minions made an improved German Chocolate
Cake a couple of weeks ago. It looked wonderful. They didn't use
German Chocolate.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday. If
> I figure out what German chocolate is....

> 4 oz german chocolate

Common ‹ very common ‹ mistake. It's supposed to be German's Sweet
Chocolate. After some guy ‹ Samuel German. Look it up.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
:

> hahabogus > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Apparently it is a type of sugar added chocolate invented by a guy
>> called German. And instead of German's it is called German.

> Well, I think we're on the same page. The excerpt explained that. What
> did you decide to use?
>
> Michael

mini semi-sweet choco chips, pistachio pudding and sour cream with a
chocolate coffee glaze are the variants from the postred recipe.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday.
>> If I figure out what German chocolate is....

>> 4 oz german chocolate

> Common ‹ very common ‹ mistake. It's supposed to be German's Sweet
> Chocolate. After some guy ‹ Samuel German. Look it up.

looked it up...looked for it..couldn't find it replaced it with semi sweet.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just an FYI...you can use regular-sized chips in cake recipes.
However, to keep them from sinking, toss them with about a tablespoon
of flour. I seldom have mini-chips on hand, and have found this tio
work well.

HTH!

~Eri in TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > hahabogus > wrote:
> >
> >> This is the cake I'll be taking into work for my birthdsay on Monday.
> >> If I figure out what German chocolate is....

> >> 4 oz german chocolate

> > Common ‹ very common ‹ mistake. It's supposed to be German's Sweet
> > Chocolate. After some guy ‹ Samuel German. Look it up.

> looked it up...looked for it..couldn't find it replaced it with semi sweet.

Sorry -- I meant you could probably learn more about it if you looked it
up. I think you'd have been better served with milk chocolate. JMO.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>> :

>> > Common ‹ very common ‹ mistake. It's supposed to be German's Sweet
>> > Chocolate. After some guy ‹ Samuel German. Look it up.

>> looked it up...looked for it..couldn't find it replaced it with semi
>> sweet.

> Sorry -- I meant you could probably learn more about it if you looked
> it up. I think you'd have been better served with milk chocolate.
> JMO.

You're probably right but by the time I'd hit 3 stores I'd just had
enough...and there were mini chips just sitting there...so I got those.
There is just so many times you can say no not chocolate from Germany but
sweet chocolate invented by a guy called German.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in

> > Sorry -- I meant you could probably learn more about it if you looked
> > it up. I think you'd have been better served with milk chocolate.
> > JMO.

> You're probably right but by the time I'd hit 3 stores I'd just had
> enough...and there were mini chips just sitting there...so I got those.
> There is just so many times you can say no not chocolate from Germany but
> sweet chocolate invented by a guy called German.

Next time bring a picture. "-)
http://tinyurl.com/2kntrd

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in

>>> Sorry -- I meant you could probably learn more about it if you
>>> looked it up. I think you'd have been better served with milk
>>> chocolate. JMO.

>> You're probably right but by the time I'd hit 3 stores I'd just had
>> enough...and there were mini chips just sitting there...so I got
>> those. There is just so many times you can say no not chocolate from
>> Germany but sweet chocolate invented by a guy called German.

> Next time bring a picture. "-)
> http://tinyurl.com/2kntrd

LOL As a kid I found Baker's German Sweet Chocolate better than any
Hershey's chocolate bar, ever! Mom would buy an extra bar and give me a
square broken off the block of chocolate every once in a while.

Jill