MurphAssoc

Default German Chocolate Pie

My daughter requested this for a family get-together. So, what do I know?? I
bought a bar of German chocolate and followed the recipe on the card inside the
wrapper - melt choc w/milk, add Cool Whip and I don't know what all. Turns out
her idea of this pie is "like pecan pie only with German chocolate".
Anyone have that recipe ??
TIA,
Judith
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(MurphAssoc) wrote:

> My daughter requested this for a family get-together. So, what do I
> know?? I bought a bar of German chocolate and followed the recipe on
> the card inside the wrapper - melt choc w/milk, add Cool Whip and I
> don't know what all. Turns out her idea of this pie is "like pecan
> pie only with German chocolate". Anyone have that recipe ?? TIA,

> Judith

I wouldn't describe as like a pecan pie, but here's my kids' favorite
pie. Good reminder to make it for Thursday dinner. Thanks, Judith!

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

10-Minute German Sweet Chocolate Pie

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
4 oz. German¹s Sweet Chocolate
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 oz. cream cheese softened
3 1/2 cups Cool Whip
8 ² crumb crust (Johnson¹s prepared crust)

Heat chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the milk in a saucepan over low heat,
stirring until chocolate is melted. Beat sugar into cream cheese; add
remaining milk and chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in
Cool Whip; spoon into crust. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Garnish
with chocolate curls, if desired. Store leftovers (hah!!) in freezer.

Makes 6-8 servings. Chris and Becky love it. Chocolate crust is good.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Cool Whip container, November, 1980.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 444 Calories; 32g Fat (64%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol;
291mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat; 1 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates
_____
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>
zxcvbob

MurphAssoc wrote:

> My daughter requested this for a family get-together. So, what do I know?? I
> bought a bar of German chocolate and followed the recipe on the card inside the
> wrapper - melt choc w/milk, add Cool Whip and I don't know what all. Turns out
> her idea of this pie is "like pecan pie only with German chocolate".
> Anyone have that recipe ??
> TIA,
> Judith

I haven't tried this recipe, but it looks about right -- although the maple
syrup is a odd. I prefer plain pecan pie to chocolate, but there's no
accounting for taste (mine or your daughter's.) Don't waste the bar of
German's sweet chocolate, use half a bag of Gierradelli chocolate chips.

From Texas Monthly magazine:

Chocolate-Pecan Pie

Crust
2 cups (8 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons ice water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, salt, and sugar. Using a
pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it is the consistency
of coarse cornmeal. Gradually add cold water, mixing until dough holds
together. Do not overmix. Press into a disk about 5 inches in diameter,
wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least an hour to firm up. Then roll
out and line a 9-inch metal pie pan. Prick crust with a fork, then fill
with uncooked beans or pie weights and bake until barely golden brown,
about 30 minutes.

Filling
5 eggs
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup real maple syrup
3 cups pecan halves or large pieces, toasted
6 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped to the size of chocolate
chips

In a stainless-steel bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar. Add melted
butter and whisk again. Add both syrups and whisk yet again. Let mixture
rest for at least 10 minutes. Put pecans and chocolate chips in the
partially baked pie shell and then pour in syrup mixture. Bake on a
preheated cookie sheet at 350 degrees until pecans are a rich golden brown,
about 40 minutes.

zxcvbob

MurphAssoc wrote:
> My daughter requested this for a family get-together. So, what do I know?? I
> bought a bar of German chocolate and followed the recipe on the card inside the
> wrapper - melt choc w/milk, add Cool Whip and I don't know what all. Turns out
> her idea of this pie is "like pecan pie only with German chocolate".
> Anyone have that recipe ??
> TIA,
> Judith

I found another one. This looks closer to the ones I've eaten than the
previous recipe I posted. I'm pretty sure you could leave out the rum, or
substitute bourbon or Tennessee whiskey:

CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE

3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups dark corn syrup
2 oz. (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons butter)
4 extra-large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon Myer's (dark) rum
2 cups (8 oz.) pecan halves
1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry crust
Whipped cream

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium saucepan, place the
sugar and syrup; stir to combine. Slowly bring the syrup mixture to a boil
over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the
chocolate and butter; stir until melted and blended. Add about 1/2 cup of
the hot chocolate mixture to the eggs and quickly stir in. Then, add the
egg mixture to the remaining chocolate mixture; using a handheld electric
mixer, beat on low speed only until blended. Add the rum; using a spoon,
stir to blend. Add the pecans; stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the
pie shell. Place the pie in the oven and immediately reduce the oven
temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the pie for 45 to 50 minutes,
or until a table knife inserted into the filling halfway between the edge
and the center of the pie comes out clean. The filling will continue
cooking after removal of the pie from the oven, and the center of the pie
will fully set. Remove the pie from the oven and place it on a wire rack to
cool. Serve the pie at room temperature, with a dollop of the whipped cream
spooned on top of each slice. After serving, leftover pie should be
refrigerated. Makes one 9-inch pie: 7 servings.
Copyright© 2000 NewsUSA - www.newsusa.com

MurphAssoc

Thanks so much....the first recipe is the one I made, but not what she wanted.
This last one with the Myers rum sounds most like it so will try it later on,
for our family get-together in December.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Judith