Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Summer cooking & grilling, 4th of July

It's hard to believe summer's practically here (June 21) for the
Northern Hemisphere - finally! And, the fireworks of the 4th of July
(for the USA) will be here soon, too.

What does everyone like to do for summer and holidays? Any special
foods and traditions? Special places???

On the 4th, spouse and I will probably bicycle ride about 20 or 30 miles
(give or take), and also carry a picnic and other goodies. During our
leisurely bike ride, we'll watch the fireworks display from a special
place and enjoy the relative solitude (we'll picnic in a cemetery with a
good view) while the fireworks sparkle and boom a short distance away.

Our picnic will probably consist of grapes, small pretzels, cold bbq'd
chicken (made earlier), a bit of potato salad, and some bite-sized
chocolates for desserts. Can't think of what else to take along at the
moment, maybe some tenderloin sandwiches (?). Both spouse and I carry a
bit of gear on our bicycles. Spouse carries the coolers with plenty of
ice for the food, cans of (soda) pop, and such; I carry other stuff like
the bug spray, tools (in case of breakdown), phone, camera, TP, towels,
water, batteries, first aid kit, tylenol, and lots of other
miscellaneous stuff. Spouse thinks the kitchen sink is in there
someplace, too <g>.

I really like digital cameras -- they make it so easy to take pictures
to share and keep. It's always nice to look back and remember special
occassions and sites/sights (both!) afterwards.

Sky, who's really doesn't like winter <g>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> What does everyone like to do for summer and holidays? Any special
> foods and traditions? Special places???

I may grill since the front yard is fully shaded, but mostly I like to
stay inside where it's air conditioned. ;-)

I do more grilling in the early spring and late fall when the weather is
more compatible with life! <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:32:50 -0500, Skyhooks
> wrote:

>What does everyone like to do for summer and holidays? Any special
>foods and traditions? Special places???

Well..I am trying to get inspiration....so I will be watching replies
here.

I will be at home by the 4th, and I am thinking grilling is an idea.
If I have the smoker by then, maybe something smoked... If not, then
something grilled would be great. A grilled tenderloin was suggested
while we were talking in chat, and that is sounding enticing. Gives
me a chance to make some Bearnaise.. <G>

Sides are eluding me for the time being..other than maybe a good
potato salad. Same with dessert.

For the most part (other than the Bearnaise), I like to stick with
American regional foods.

I am thinking that hanging out on the back patio will be great, and we
will be able to see the fireworks in various parts of the city. I
have that great of a view.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks said...

> What does everyone like to do for summer and holidays? Any special
> foods and traditions? Special places???

I shall probably be porchin' it with some birdbrained friends and family in
town.

Probably bring the remaining 20 lbs. of buffalo meat that's been in the
freezer since gout and let them get a taste of that. And bring some chicken
parts to toss on the grill--will probably taste like chicken though.

And maybe try my hand at horseshoes, like I've been trying to do for the past
15 years.

And generally be an all-around BUM!!! about town, via taxi.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> I will be at home by the 4th, and I am thinking grilling is an idea.

But Canada Day is July First! That's the day to celibrate!

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:13:29 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Skyhooks said...
>
>> What does everyone like to do for summer and holidays? Any special
>> foods and traditions? Special places???

I forgot to add..that on Labor Day weekend, the NM Cook-in will be
taking place at my house. Sign up at my mailing list if you are
even thinking about attending..

Right now, I am just thinking of the 4th of July. What's everyone
else got planned? Food? Desserts?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> I will be at home by the 4th, and I am thinking grilling is an idea.
>>

>But Canada Day is July First! That's the day to celibrate!

So whatcha doing that day, Alan?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:17:13 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>>Christine Dabney > wrote in
m:

>>> I will be at home by the 4th, and I am thinking grilling is an idea.
>>>

>>But Canada Day is July First! That's the day to celibrate!

> So whatcha doing that day, Alan?
>
> Christine

Just burgers and hot dogs...then climbing up on the roof for a good seat
for the fireworks they have at the community club about a block away.

Maybe I'll do a brisket. But usually I don't have company on that
day...so more likely burgers, hot dogs and some slaw.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in news:Xns994D89363A38Ehahabogus@
69.28.186.120:

:

>>>But Canada Day is July First! That's the day to celibrate!

>> So whatcha doing that day, Alan?
>>
>> Christine
>>

> Just burgers and hot dogs...then climbing up on the roof for a good

seat
> for the fireworks they have at the community club about a block away.
>
> Maybe I'll do a brisket. But usually I don't have company on that
> day...so more likely burgers, hot dogs and some slaw.

Desserts? most lokely a strawberry shortcake impersonator...using sponge
cake instead of biscut base. I need 1 good dose of strawberries and
whipped cream a year.

Or maybe a baked phylo based lemmon curd dealie with merngue....brush
melted butter and brown sugar between the phylo sheets (3 to 5 sheets)
top with lemmon curd ...repeat as necessary ending with the curd and
lastly merangue. Also a good easy choice.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> It's hard to believe summer's practically here (June 21) for the
> Northern Hemisphere - finally! And, the fireworks of the 4th of
> July (for the USA) will be here soon, too.
>
> What does everyone like to do for summer and holidays? Any special
> foods and traditions? Special places???

I haven't thought that far ahead If I haven't cooked the two pork steaks
in my freezer by then I'll probably throw them on the grill (patted well
with Penzey's Adobo seasoning). I'll get more corn on the cob to go with.
That's about it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> I haven't thought that far ahead If I haven't cooked the two pork
> steaks in my freezer by then I'll probably throw them on the grill
> (patted well with Penzey's Adobo seasoning). I'll get more corn on the
> cob to go with. That's about it.
>
> Jill

How about we go play in the corn fields of Tennessee, naked?

<smootch>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-12, Andy <q> wrote:

> How about we go play in the corn fields of Tennessee, naked?

I'd think an alfalfa field would be more fun. Only about thigh high
at maturi-tie.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> On 2007-06-12, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> How about we go play in the corn fields of Tennessee, naked?

> I'd think an alfalfa field would be more fun. Only about thigh high
> at maturi-tie.
>
> nb

Yeah so where's the hide-n-seek in that?!?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-13, Andy <q> wrote:

> Yeah so where's the hide-n-seek in that?!?

What's the point in being naked if you're going to hide?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> On 2007-06-13, Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah so where's the hide-n-seek in that?!?

> What's the point in being naked if you're going to hide?
>
> nb

MARCO!

POLO!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-13, Andy <q> wrote:

> MARCO!
>
> POLO!

WHOOOOSHHH!!!!.....

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-06-13, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> > MARCO!
> >
> > POLO!

> WHOOOOSHHH!!!!.....
>
> nb

You never played Marco/Polo while skinny dipping? :-)

You keep your eyes closed while you play, or use blindfolds.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:32:50 -0500, Skyhooks
> wrote:

>It's hard to believe summer's practically here (June 21) for the
>Northern Hemisphere - finally! And, the fireworks of the 4th of July
>(for the USA) will be here soon, too.
>
>What does everyone like to do for summer and holidays? Any special
>foods and traditions? Special places???
>
>On the 4th, spouse and I will probably bicycle ride about 20 or 30 miles
>(give or take), and also carry a picnic and other goodies. During our
>leisurely bike ride, we'll watch the fireworks display from a special
>place and enjoy the relative solitude (we'll picnic in a cemetery with a
>good view) while the fireworks sparkle and boom a short distance away.

The only real "grown up" summerish tradition we have had for years and
years is actually before summer.... Memorial Day. Friends from
college (we graduated a gazillion years ago) get together and have a
picnic. We gather from all over the US (and occasionally the world
now). The Fourth of July is a time we visit friends at Lake Tahoe.
We kayak onto the Lake and watch the fireworks from the water.
Grandson's birthday is July 3rd - so far there hasn't been a conflict
with his b'day party, which is held on a weekend.

"Back in the day", we spent several years going up to Tahoe and
renting a condo on the Lake for a week. Up to four families would
rent at the same complex, so it was a lot of fun! We had different
activities every day that appealed to kids and adults so the time
flew. When our school district decided to start before Labor Day,
that tradition came to a crashing halt.... but it was fun while it
lasted.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> I will be at home by the 4th, and I am thinking grilling is an idea.
>>

>But Canada Day is July First! That's the day to celibrate!

I don't think she can see your fireworks. Her view may be good, but
it's not *that* good.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:34:37 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>Desserts? most lokely a strawberry shortcake impersonator...using sponge
>cake instead of biscut base. I need 1 good dose of strawberries and
>whipped cream a year.

Oh, you bad man It's only once a year! Make some cream biscuits for
those poor strawberries if you want shortcake.

Otherwise make yourself an angel food cake and but don't pretend it's
shortcake because you're putting strawberries and whipped cream over
*cake*. It's fabulous, but it's *not* even close to an imposter
shortcake (certainly not those store bought things with the well).
It's CAKE!

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Skyhooks > wrote:

> It's hard to believe summer's practically here (June 21) for the
> Northern Hemisphere - finally! And, the fireworks of the 4th of July
> (for the USA) will be here soon, too.
>
> What does everyone like to do for summer and holidays? Any special
> foods and traditions? Special places???

Every year on Independence Day, I go to a friend's house for a big
family barbecue. I am one of only two or three friends there, and the
rest are the family of the host and hostess.

I usually bring a pie or something to add to the meal. This is an open
house kind of event around lunch time. The food is the usual stuff
families make on July 4th, burgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc. with
different salads, corn, etc. Good food, but nothing unusual.

The party is usually over by 4:00pm. I live directly adjacent to a park,
and there's usually a big carnival kind of thing going on all day on
Independence Day right across from my apartment. They usually cap off
the day by having a free live rock concert. Last year, it was Pat
Benatar. The concert usually ends around 9:30 and its capped off by a
nice fireworks show over the river that runs through the park. I get a
bird's eye view of the fireworks from my apartment, but I like to go out
to the concert area to watch the concert and the fireworks.

If I don't get home by around 6:00 that day, there's no parking for
miles around, even in my complex's private lot, due to all the visitors
of residents who come to enjoy the day, so I like to get home relatively
early that day.