Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default Meatball Marinara

On Jun 6, 8:00 pm, BOBOBOnoBO® fka Food Snob >
wrote:

> > > Subway is awful, even by fast food standards.

> > What's a better fast food place for freshness, taste, and price? If
> > you come up with a better one I'll go there.

> Pretty much all of them, with the exception of Checkers/Rally's,
> Arby's and...and. Heck I can't even think of any others that are
> worse. What city are you in?
> If you have a Panera Bread, they are way better:http://www.panerabread.com
> Steak'n Shake is also great, with a few caveats. Here in St. Louis,
> we have a chain called Lion's Choice. They are excellent.
> Every other sub place is better than Subway.
>

> > OG

> --Bryan

Panera bread is hellsa expensive for what you get, IMHO.
Agree about Arby's though -- total crap.

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Tim May > wrote:

> Cf.
>
> http://www.annamariavolpi.com/marinara.html
>
> "Marinara sauce is a basic meatless tomato sauce, probably considered
> the precursor of all ragu' and tomato sauces of Italy. In spite of the
> name (the word "marinara" refers to seafood), the sauce has no fish in
> it."

This is nonsense and I am surprised it is spouted by Anna Maria Volpi
who used to post perfectly sane, informative messages on rfc some years
ago. In Italy, there is no such thing as "salsa marinara", which is a
purely American phenomenon derived directly from the topping of pizza
marinara, namely tomatoes, oregano and garlic (needless to say, the
topping is not a sauce). In Italy, there are numerous unrelated "alla
marinara" preparations, not sauces, many of them involving some kind of
fish, seafood, or fish broth or stock, and often some tomato sauce and
herbs. You will have trouble finding any salsa marinara recipes in any
cookbooks written by Italians for Italians in Italian. If you do a Web
search for occurences of "salsa marinara" in Italian language on ".it"
or other Italian Web sites, you will find preciously few, like maybe a
dozen or so, and some will mention fish stock in the context.

The word "marinara" means "sailor style" in the context; it does not
refer to seafood in any direct way.

Victor
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Following up to "pfoley" > wrote:

>> so theres no oxymoron?

>You sound disappointed.

a little.
--
Mike Reid
Cutty Sark appeal"http://www.cuttysark.org.uk"
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Following up to Owen Gilmore > wrote:

>I agree it is excellent, one of my favorites. Like you, I like my
>subs fully loaded (minus mayo but with all the veggies)
>I also like the italian coldcut, and the Turkey.
>Usually they cut the footlongs in half.

are there obesity problems where you are?

>I can't eat one alone unless
>I'm really hungry but they have a 2 footlongs for $10 special so I
>sometimes bring a couple home for dinner.

fast food for dinner, lovely.
--
Mike Reid
Cutty Sark appeal"http://www.cuttysark.org.uk"
to email remove clothing.
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

The Reid wrote:
> Following up to Owen Gilmore > wrote:
>

>> I agree it is excellent, one of my favorites. Like you, I like my
>> subs fully loaded (minus mayo but with all the veggies)
>> I also like the italian coldcut, and the Turkey.
>> Usually they cut the footlongs in half.

> are there obesity problems where you are?
>
>> I can't eat one alone unless
>> I'm really hungry but they have a 2 footlongs for $10 special so I
>> sometimes bring a couple home for dinner.

> fast food for dinner, lovely.

See Mike! We don't know what we are missing <G>

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 11:19 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:

> The word "marinara" means "sailor style" in the context; it does not
> refer to seafood in any direct way.

Sexual innuendo?

> Victor

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

BOBOBOnoBO® fka Food Snob > wrote in
oups.com:

>> > Subway is awful, even by fast food standards.

>> What's a better fast food place for freshness, taste, and price? If
>> you come up with a better one I'll go there.

> Pretty much all of them, with the exception of Checkers/Rally's,
> Arby's and...and. Heck I can't even think of any others that are
> worse. What city are you in?
> If you have a Panera Bread, they are way better:
> http://www.panerabread.com Steak'n Shake is also great, with a few
> caveats. Here in St. Louis, we have a chain called Lion's Choice.
> They are excellent. Every other sub place is better than Subway.
>

>> OG

> --Bryan

I like Steak'n Shake, but I think Culver's is a better buy. However, to
call it a "Butter Burger" just because the bun is buttered is stupid
imho.

Arby's is crrrap (roast beef is supposed to be reddish or pink not
brown). Never had one of the "Market" sandwiches though. I think that's
supposed to give them a new image.

Quizno's for subs and Q'doba's for burrritos! A White Castle fix now and
then. Bandana's for barbeque.

--
Larry Autry
Manchester, MO USA
Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 07:19:03 +0200, in rec.food.cooking, Victor Sack wrote:

>Tim May > wrote:
>
>> Cf.
>>
>> http://www.annamariavolpi.com/marinara.html
>>
>> "Marinara sauce is a basic meatless tomato sauce, probably considered
>> the precursor of all ragu' and tomato sauces of Italy. In spite of the
>> name (the word "marinara" refers to seafood), the sauce has no fish in
>> it."

>This is nonsense and I am surprised it is spouted by Anna Maria Volpi
>who used to post perfectly sane, informative messages on rfc some years
>ago. In Italy, there is no such thing as "salsa marinara", which is a
>purely American phenomenon derived directly from the topping of pizza
>marinara, namely tomatoes, oregano and garlic (needless to say, the
>topping is not a sauce). In Italy, there are numerous unrelated "alla
>marinara" preparations, not sauces, many of them involving some kind of
>fish, seafood, or fish broth or stock, and often some tomato sauce and
>herbs. You will have trouble finding any salsa marinara recipes in any
>cookbooks written by Italians for Italians in Italian. If you do a Web
>search for occurences of "salsa marinara" in Italian language on ".it"
>or other Italian Web sites, you will find preciously few, like maybe a
>dozen or so, and some will mention fish stock in the context.
>
>The word "marinara" means "sailor style" in the context; it does not
>refer to seafood in any direct way.

I agree with the last sentence, but I'm not sure if I agree or disagree
with the rest.
Ok, maybe no sauce, but pizza marinara is Italian, right?

http://www.holidaycityflash.com/italy/pizza_naples.htm

We have lovely pizzas here a few years ago:
Da Michele: This 19th century pizzeria, which still has its original
tables and chairs from the 1880s, is so traditional they serve only pizza
marinara and pizza Margherita, plus baked cheese calzone (pizza ripiena).
The only variation permitted is double mozzarella. It is often touted as
Naples' best pizzeria by both foreign journalists and locals, though not
everyone agrees.
Via Cesare Sersale 1/3; tel. (081) 553 92 04; closed Sundays and three
weeks in August.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller > wrote:

> Ok, maybe no sauce, but pizza marinara is Italian, right?

Sure, Neapolitan to be exact, but the sauce named after it is not.

Victor