Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh ginger, just dug up.

Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn onto my uniform
jacket, and she mentioned that the neighbours across the road (who've gone
on a 3 month 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.

And with the discussion here recently on that subject, I thought I'd go and
help myself.

So now I have a kilogram of fresh ginger, which I'm going to turn into
Candied Ginger......... so I can use up the Karo I have left over in the
pantry.

Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the fresh ginger in the
sherry thing :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh ginger, just dug up.(Pic)

PeterL > wrote in
. 96.78:

> Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn onto my
> uniform jacket, and she mentioned that the neighbours across the road
> (who've gone on a 3 month 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.
>
> And with the discussion here recently on that subject, I thought I'd
> go and help myself.
>
> So now I have a kilogram of fresh ginger, which I'm going to turn into
> Candied Ginger......... so I can use up the Karo I have left over in
> the pantry.
>
> Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the fresh ginger in
> the sherry thing :-)

DOH!!!!

Forgot to send the link for the pic!!

http://i8.tinypic.com/4utq4w3.jpg

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn onto my uniform
> jacket, and she mentioned that the neighbours across the road (who've gone
> on a 3 month 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.
>
> And with the discussion here recently on that subject, I thought I'd go and
> help myself.
>
> So now I have a kilogram of fresh ginger, which I'm going to turn into
> Candied Ginger......... so I can use up the Karo I have left over in the
> pantry.

I have never heard of making candied ginger with HFCS.

> Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the fresh ginger in the
> sherry thing :-)

Ginger freezes really well too and it is easy to grate or chop off what
you need when it is frozen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 8>,
PeterL > wrote:

> PeterL > wrote in
> . 96.78:
>
> > Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn onto my
> > uniform jacket, and she mentioned that the neighbours across the road
> > (who've gone on a 3 month 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.
> >
> > And with the discussion here recently on that subject, I thought I'd
> > go and help myself.
> >
> > So now I have a kilogram of fresh ginger, which I'm going to turn into
> > Candied Ginger......... so I can use up the Karo I have left over in
> > the pantry.
> >
> > Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the fresh ginger in
> > the sherry thing :-)
> >

> DOH!!!!
>
> Forgot to send the link for the pic!!
>
> http://i8.tinypic.com/4utq4w3.jpg

That's purdy... :-)

I just planted a rather large "hand" of Ginger root in the herb garden a
couple of days ago. I'd broken it up and let it dry a bit for 2 days
prior.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote in
:

>> So now I have a kilogram of fresh ginger, which I'm going to turn
>> into Candied Ginger......... so I can use up the Karo I have left
>> over in the pantry.
>>

> I have never heard of making candied ginger with HFCS.

http://groups.google.com.au/group/re...7929b3cbdd80a?
dmode=source

http://tinyurl.com/2d32dr

Try it....... it's great!!

>> Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the fresh ginger in
>> the sherry thing :-)
>>

> Ginger freezes really well too and it is easy to grate or chop off
> what you need when it is frozen.

Orrrr, I just go to my friends backyard and pull some up.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmp_omelet-
:

>> DOH!!!!
>>
>> Forgot to send the link for the pic!!

http://i8.tinypic.com/4utq4w3.jpg

> That's purdy... :-)
>
> I just planted a rather large "hand" of Ginger root in the herb garden a
> couple of days ago. I'd broken it up and let it dry a bit for 2 days
> prior.

Apparently, all you hve to do is plant the new shoots that come up on the
root.

I'll find out and let you know.

BTW, 'S Day' is getting closer :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmp_omelet-
:

>> Forgot to send the link for the pic!!

http://i8.tinypic.com/4utq4w3.jpg

> That's purdy... :-)

The peeled ginger........

http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

Halfway thru the cooking.....

http://i4.tinypic.com/4kwi1pe.jpg

Had to stop in the middle of doing everything and feed some of the local
residents who were in full voice!!

http://i9.tinypic.com/6arkqo8.jpg

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/2d32dr
>

> Try it....... it's great!!

We make something very similar (no HFCS). I also get a nice version at a
Chinese market.

>>> Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the fresh ginger in
>>> the sherry thing :-)
>>>

>> Ginger freezes really well too and it is easy to grate or chop off
>> what you need when it is frozen.
>>

> Orrrr, I just go to my friends backyard and pull some up.

Can't do that here because we are too far north. We tried growing it
indoors a couple times in a pot but it never worked. There isn't a big
Asian population here so the ginger in the big box stores looks like
something that would be tossed out in the Asian markets I go to in other
areas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL > wrote:

> >> http://i8.tinypic.com/4utq4w3.jpg

> > That's purdy... :-)
> >
> > I just planted a rather large "hand" of Ginger root in the herb garden a
> > couple of days ago. I'd broken it up and let it dry a bit for 2 days
> > prior.

> Apparently, all you hve to do is plant the new shoots that come up on the
> root.
>
> I'll find out and let you know.

Sounds good.

I just pick the freshest root cluster I can find at the store, (one with
green buds) and use that for planting. I like growing fresh ginger and
we've been using a lot more since dad has started making home made
ginger-ale. I take his strained off pureed solids and freeze them. They
are good for cooking.

> BTW, 'S Day' is getting closer :-)
>

> --
> Peter Lucas

I'll let you know. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL > wrote:

> >> http://i8.tinypic.com/4utq4w3.jpg

> > That's purdy... :-)
> >

> The peeled ginger........
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

Hey, how do you peel it to get it that pretty???
I usually don't bother to peel it as I lose too much!

> Halfway thru the cooking.....
>

> http://i4.tinypic.com/4kwi1pe.jpg

Yum.

> Had to stop in the middle of doing everything and feed some of the local
> residents who were in full voice!!
>
> http://i9.tinypic.com/6arkqo8.jpg

You've spoilt your local magpies... <G>

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I just planted a rather large "hand" of Ginger root in the herb garden a
> couple of days ago. I'd broken it up and let it dry a bit for 2 days
> prior.

Next time I find some fresh ginger, I may give that a try. One of my
former coworkers grew ginger that she purchased at an Asian market.
Can't hurt to try.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 9:52 am, Omelet > wrote:

> > > That's purdy... :-)

> > The peeled ginger........

> >http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

> Hey, how do you peel it to get it that pretty???
> I usually don't bother to peel it as I lose too much!
>

> > Halfway thru the cooking.....

> >http://i4.tinypic.com/4kwi1pe.jpg

> Yum.
>

> > Had to stop in the middle of doing everything and feed some of the local
> > residents who were in full voice!!

> >http://i9.tinypic.com/6arkqo8.jpg

> You've spoilt your local magpies... <G>
>

> > --
> > Peter Lucas

> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

Sorry to butt in, but thanks for the growing info- I'd love to try.
How much sun does it need? Also, about peeling it- use a spoon. It
takes off a very thin amount, and gets into the creases better than a
peeler does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news

>> > That's purdy... :-)
>> >
>> > I just planted a rather large "hand" of Ginger root in the herb
>> > garden a couple of days ago. I'd broken it up and let it dry a bit
>> > for 2 days prior.

>> Apparently, all you hve to do is plant the new shoots that come up on
>> the root.
>>
>> I'll find out and let you know.

> Sounds good.

Spoke to the Ginger Lady, she said all you have to do is get the whole
root and cut off the 'bump' with a shoot coming off of it, and plant the
shoot.

> I just pick the freshest root cluster I can find at the store, (one
> with green buds) and use that for planting. I like growing fresh
> ginger and we've been using a lot more since dad has started making
> home made ginger-ale. I take his strained off pureed solids and freeze
> them. They are good for cooking.
>

>> BTW, 'S Day' is getting closer :-)

> I'll let you know. ;-)

Same same.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news

>> > That's purdy... :-)
>> >

>> The peeled ginger........
>>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

> Hey, how do you peel it to get it that pretty???
> I usually don't bother to peel it as I lose too much!

As this stuff was only out of the ground for about 2 hours, it was
rather fresh and the skin came off quite easily. I used an ordinary vege
peeler.

Tried to scrub them (as I do with potatos) but that wasn't as
successful.

>> Halfway thru the cooking.....
>>

>> http://i4.tinypic.com/4kwi1pe.jpg

> Yum.

Apparently the leftover syrup is quite good on icecream and in
tea/coffee. Personally, I don't eat the stuff, or drink the syrup.......
too sugary for me!!

>> Had to stop in the middle of doing everything and feed some of the
>> local residents who were in full voice!!
>>
>> http://i9.tinypic.com/6arkqo8.jpg

> You've spoilt your local magpies... <G>

You're not wrong there. 6.30am this morning I went to get a coffee from
'Max', who is right near the back door, and guess which two locals were
waiting for me right at the door and started singing as soon as they saw
me!!

So now I have to make sure I always have some fresh meat on hand :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote in
oups.com:

> Sorry to butt in,

Don't be sorry, that's what rfc is all about ;-)

>but thanks for the growing info- I'd love to try.
> How much sun does it need?

The stuff I picked was just growing outside in the garden, full
sun/wind/rain etc.

>Also, about peeling it- use a spoon. It
> takes off a very thin amount, and gets into the creases better than a
> peeler does.

I'll have to try that next time. Thanks.

I've got a very light touch with the peeler though, and it only takes
off *very* thin shavings :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 11:52 am, Omelet > wrote:

> > > That's purdy... :-)

> > The peeled ginger........

> >http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

> Hey, how do you peel it to get it that pretty???
> I usually don't bother to peel it as I lose too much!

I can't speak for the original poster, but I always peel ginger with a
spoon by holding the ginger in one hand, and the spoon in the other.
Place your spoon hand thumb against the ginger, and scrape the root
with the edge of the spoon towards the thumb. No chance of cutting
yourself with a spoon, and it is sharp enough to scrape the skin off,
but not really dig in. I usually do it over the sink to catch the
pieces of skin, which then go to the compost pail.

I picked up this method from some TV cooking show, but I have no idea
which one, and I have been doing it this way for at least 5 years. A
quick web search reveals a better description of the process with
pictures:

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Peeling-Ginger/Detail.aspx

Later,
Mark Muller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> On May 14, 11:52 am, Omelet > wrote:

>> > The peeled ginger........

>> >http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

>> Hey, how do you peel it to get it that pretty???
>> I usually don't bother to peel it as I lose too much!
>>

> I can't speak for the original poster, but I always peel ginger with a
> spoon by holding the ginger in one hand, and the spoon in the other.
> Place your spoon hand thumb against the ginger, and scrape the root
> with the edge of the spoon towards the thumb. No chance of cutting
> yourself with a spoon, and it is sharp enough to scrape the skin off,
> but not really dig in. I usually do it over the sink to catch the
> pieces of skin, which then go to the compost pail.
>
> I picked up this method from some TV cooking show, but I have no idea
> which one, and I have been doing it this way for at least 5 years. A
> quick web search reveals a better description of the process with
> pictures:
>
> http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Peeling-Ginger/Detail.aspx

Thanks for that Mark, I'll be using that method next time.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

> Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn onto my
> uniform jacket, and she mentioned that the neighbours across the road
> (who've gone on a 3 month 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.
>
> And with the discussion here recently on that subject,
> I thought I'd go and help myself.

You normally just go into somebody's yard
and help yourself?

I guess that's why your ancestors were sent
to Australia in the first place. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in news:4648F0C9.B090C7E9
@sonic.net:

> PeterL wrote:
>>
>> Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn onto my
>> uniform jacket, and she mentioned that the neighbours across the road
>> (who've gone on a 3 month 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.
>>
>> And with the discussion here recently on that subject,
>> I thought I'd go and help myself.

> You normally just go into somebody's yard
> and help yourself?

Not without prior consent :-)

My friend was told to help herself, but she doesn't use that much, so
she passed the privilige onto me :-)

One condition is that I make a batch of Candied Ginger for the owners
when they get back. No sweat!!

> I guess that's why your ancestors were sent
> to Australia in the first place. ;-)

Not mine. Mine came here voluntarily :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 May 2007 16:54:13 +0200 (CEST), PeterL
> wrote:

>>> DOH!!!!
>>>
>>> Forgot to send the link for the pic!!
>>>
>>> http://i8.tinypic.com/4utq4w3.jpg

Very good photo and haul. Good for you.

Koko
---
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Koko wrote in :

> Very good photo and haul. Good for you.

Thanks.

It was just that fresh and aromatic, I'm going to have to go back and
get some more. This time, I'll use some of it in some cooking.

Cooking!! Damn!! Just remembered I have to get the leg of lamb out for
tomorrow nights dinner, and I have to get something quick and easy
sorted for tonights.

Off to the freezer/pantry I go!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:06:51 +0200 (CEST), PeterL
> wrote:

>The peeled ginger........
>
>http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

Dang man, beautiful job peeling.

Koko
---
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Koko wrote in news
> On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:06:51 +0200 (CEST), PeterL
> > wrote:
>

>>The peeled ginger........
>>
>>http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg
>>

> Dang man, beautiful job peeling.

The hands of a plastic surgeon ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 8>,
PeterL > wrote:

> Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn onto my uniform
> jacket, and she mentioned that the neighbours across the road (who've gone
> on a 3 month 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.
>
> And with the discussion here recently on that subject, I thought I'd go and
> help myself.
>
> So now I have a kilogram of fresh ginger, which I'm going to turn into
> Candied Ginger......... so I can use up the Karo I have left over in the
> pantry.
>
> Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the fresh ginger in the
> sherry thing :-)

Here's another recipe for your or anyone else tempted.

{Mystically and Magically Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Ginger Preserves

Recipe By: Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 5-15-2007

1 pound fresh gingerroot
2 cups sugar
Water
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Peel gingerroots and cut into bite-size pieces. Soak peeled ginger in
cold water to cover for 1 hour. Drain and cover with fresh cold water.
Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, cover with fresh cold
water, and boil again for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve.
Combine sugar and 1 cup water and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or
until thick. Add gingerroot and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil and
boil for 2 minutes. Place in sterilized jars, seal, and store in a cool
place. (I water bath-ed for probably 10-15 minutes.) Makes three 6-oz.
jars.

‹‹‹‹‹
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 8>,
PeterL > wrote:

> Mark Thorson > wrote in news:4648F0C9.B090C7E9
> @sonic.net:

> > You normally just go into somebody's yard
> > and help yourself?

-snip-
> > I guess that's why your ancestors were sent
> > to Australia in the first place. ;-)
> >

> Not mine. Mine came here voluntarily :-)

What they all say. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > I just planted a rather large "hand" of Ginger root in the herb garden a
> > couple of days ago. I'd broken it up and let it dry a bit for 2 days
> > prior.

> Next time I find some fresh ginger, I may give that a try. One of my
> former coworkers grew ginger that she purchased at an Asian market.
> Can't hurt to try.
>
> Becca

I made the mistake of potting it once...
It had to be moved to a larger pot in short order!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
merryb > wrote:

> Sorry to butt in, but thanks for the growing info- I'd love to try.
> How much sun does it need? Also, about peeling it- use a spoon. It
> takes off a very thin amount, and gets into the creases better than a
> peeler does.

I've grown it in both partial to direct sun.

Thanks for the spoon advice! I'll give that a try.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 8>,
PeterL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> news >

> >> The peeled ginger........
> >>
> >> http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

> > Hey, how do you peel it to get it that pretty???
> > I usually don't bother to peel it as I lose too much!

> As this stuff was only out of the ground for about 2 hours, it was
> rather fresh and the skin came off quite easily. I used an ordinary vege
> peeler.
>
> Tried to scrub them (as I do with potatos) but that wasn't as
> successful.

Okay. Since I mostly use it grated, I'd just not bothered to peel and it
never affected the recipes any... but I've not tried candying it either.
I can see the benefit there.

> >> Halfway thru the cooking.....
> >>

> >> http://i4.tinypic.com/4kwi1pe.jpg

> > Yum.

> Apparently the leftover syrup is quite good on icecream and in
> tea/coffee. Personally, I don't eat the stuff, or drink the syrup.......
> too sugary for me!!

Heh! Dad's been making ginger-ale lately by simply pureeing the ginger
root in the blender and straining off the juice, and adding that to
plain unflavored soda water. Adding honey or raw sugar as desired.

I've been saving the strained off leavings in the freezer for cooking.
PLENTY of flavor/scent left in the puree and it's easy to use.

I'm considering pureeing whole ginger root and freezing it.

> >> Had to stop in the middle of doing everything and feed some of the
> >> local residents who were in full voice!!
> >>
> >> http://i9.tinypic.com/6arkqo8.jpg

> > You've spoilt your local magpies... <G>
> >

> You're not wrong there. 6.30am this morning I went to get a coffee from
> 'Max', who is right near the back door, and guess which two locals were
> waiting for me right at the door and started singing as soon as they saw
> me!!
>
> So now I have to make sure I always have some fresh meat on hand :-)

Bet they'd settle for dog food. Canned or dry bits.
That's what we fed the magpies in Colorado.

If I can locate some of those 35mm pics, I'll have to scan and post them.

Magpies are beautiful birds to me, and have interesting personalities.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> On May 14, 11:52 am, Omelet > wrote:

> > > The peeled ginger........

> > >http://i2.tinypic.com/66uhegi.jpg

> > Hey, how do you peel it to get it that pretty???
> > I usually don't bother to peel it as I lose too much!
> >

> I can't speak for the original poster, but I always peel ginger with a
> spoon by holding the ginger in one hand, and the spoon in the other.
> Place your spoon hand thumb against the ginger, and scrape the root
> with the edge of the spoon towards the thumb. No chance of cutting
> yourself with a spoon, and it is sharp enough to scrape the skin off,
> but not really dig in. I usually do it over the sink to catch the
> pieces of skin, which then go to the compost pail.
>
> I picked up this method from some TV cooking show, but I have no idea
> which one, and I have been doing it this way for at least 5 years. A
> quick web search reveals a better description of the process with
> pictures:
>
> http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Peeling-Ginger/Detail.aspx
>
> Later,
> Mark Muller

Cool, thanks!
I use a lot of ginger root...
Pretty much anything I add garlic to also gets fresh ginger.
The two flavors are very compatible.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Mon, 14 May 2007 07:41:15 -0500:

??>> PeterL > wrote in
??>> . 96.78:
??>>
??>>> Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn
??>>> onto my uniform jacket, and she mentioned that the
??>>> neighbours across the road (who've gone on a 3 month
??>>> 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.
??>>>
??>>> And with the discussion here recently on that subject, I
??>>> thought I'd go and help myself.
??>>>
??>>> So now I have a kilogram of fresh ginger, which I'm going
??>>> to turn into Candied Ginger......... so I can use up the
??>>> Karo I have left over in the pantry.
??>>>
??>>> Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the
??>>> fresh ginger in the sherry thing :-)
??>>>
??>> DOH!!!!
??>>
??>> Forgot to send the link for the pic!!
??>>
??>> http://i8.tinypic.com/4utq4w3.jpg

O> That's purdy... :-)

O> I just planted a rather large "hand" of Ginger root in the
O> herb garden a couple of days ago. I'd broken it up and let
O> it dry a bit for 2 days prior.

According to sites on the net, it is a tropical plant that can
be grown indoors but requires minimum temperatures of 28C
outdoors. We might be able to arrange the 80F in summer but I
suppose it would winter kill around here. Fortunately, ginger
"root" is quite cheap.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 7:37 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Becca > wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > I just planted a rather large "hand" of Ginger root in the herb garden a
> > > couple of days ago. I'd broken it up and let it dry a bit for 2 days
> > > prior.

> > Next time I find some fresh ginger, I may give that a try. One of my
> > former coworkers grew ginger that she purchased at an Asian market.
> > Can't hurt to try.

> > Becca

> I made the mistake of potting it once...
> It had to be moved to a larger pot in short order!
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

So it grows pretty fast? I have a pretty shady yard for the most part,
but I think I can find a spot that gets 4-5 hours of sun a day. Or
maybe I'll try in a large container on my deck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 4:15Â*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article 8>,
>
> Â*PeterL > wrote:
> > Went around to a friends place to get a radio pocket sewn onto my uniform
> > jacket, and she mentioned that the neighbours across the road (who've gone
> > on a 3 month 'road trip') grow lots and lots of Ginger.

> > And with the discussion here recently on that subject, I thought I'd go and
> > help myself.

> > So now I have a kilogram of fresh ginger, which I'm going to turn into
> > Candied Ginger......... so I can use up the Karo I have left over in the
> > pantry.

> > Once that's done, I might go get some more and do the fresh ginger in the
> > sherry thing :-)

> Here's another recipe for your or anyone else tempted.
>
> {Mystically and Magically Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> Ginger Preserves
>
> Recipe By: Â*Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 5-15-2007
>
> 1 Â*pound fresh gingerroot Â*
> 2 Â*cups Â*sugar
> Â* Â* Â* Water
> 1/2 Â* tsp. Â*cream of tartar Â*
>
> Peel gingerroots and cut into bite-size pieces. Â*Soak peeled ginger in
> cold water to cover for 1 hour. Â*Drain and cover with fresh cold water. Â*
> Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Â*Drain, cover with fresh cold
> water, and boil again for 5 minutes or until tender. Â*Drain and reserve. Â*
> Combine sugar and 1 cup water and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or
> until thick. Â*Add gingerroot and cream of tartar. Â*Bring to a boil and
> boil for 2 minutes. Â*Place in sterilized jars, seal, and store in a cool
> place. (I water bath-ed for probably 10-15 minutes.) Â* Makes three 6-oz.
> jars.
>
> Â* Â*€¹€¹€¹€¹€¹ Â* Â* Â*
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.mac.com/barbschaller- blahblahblog - Orange Honey
> Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
> jamlady.eboard.com
> http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

That sounds really interesting- thank you for the recipe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

> According to sites on the net, it is a tropical plant that can
> be grown indoors but requires minimum temperatures of 28C
> outdoors. We might be able to arrange the 80F in summer but I
> suppose it would winter kill around here. Fortunately, ginger
> "root" is quite cheap.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

It's cheap enough around here to just re-plant it annually, kinda like
you would spuds.

It's just fun to grow and will generally increase in volume 3 to 5 times
the original plantings.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
merryb > wrote:

> On May 15, 7:37 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > Becca > wrote:

> > > Next time I find some fresh ginger, I may give that a try. One of my
> > > former coworkers grew ginger that she purchased at an Asian market.
> > > Can't hurt to try.

> > > Becca

> > I made the mistake of potting it once...
> > It had to be moved to a larger pot in short order!
> > --
> > Peace, Om
> >
> > Remove _ to validate e-mails.
> >
> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
> > Nicholson

> So it grows pretty fast? I have a pretty shady yard for the most part,
> but I think I can find a spot that gets 4-5 hours of sun a day. Or
> maybe I'll try in a large container on my deck.

With sufficient water, yes. :-)

I've found "container" gardening to be more water efficient in general,
but some plants really do need large containers. I'd never try tomatoes
for instance in less than a 5 gallon sized pot.

I'm still experimenting.

The cost of water here has made a lot of veggie gardening not worth the
cost. :-(

But I am not giving up my herb garden, no way, no how!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC's: Ginger Ale & Ginger Beer was Fresh ginger, just dug up.(Pic)

Omelet > wrote in
news

>> Apparently the leftover syrup is quite good on icecream and in
>> tea/coffee. Personally, I don't eat the stuff, or drink the
>> syrup....... too sugary for me!!

> Heh! Dad's been making ginger-ale lately by simply pureeing the ginger
> root in the blender and straining off the juice, and adding that to
> plain unflavored soda water. Adding honey or raw sugar as desired.

Homemade Ginger Ale.........

Ginger water
1 cup peeled, finely chopped ginger
2 cups water

Simple Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Club soda
Lime juice
Lime wedges

1 Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add ginger. Reduce heat
to medium low and let ginger sit in the simmering water for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Strain liquid through a
fine mesh strainer. Discard ginger pieces.

2 In a separate saucepan, make the Simple Syrup by dissolving 1 cup
granulated sugar into 1 cup of boiling water. Set aside.

3 Make individual (tall) glasses of ginger ale by mixing 1/2 cup of
ginger water with 1/3 cup of Simple Syrup and 1/2 cup of club soda. Add
a few drops of fresh lime juice and a lime wedge to each glass.

Makes four servings.

##################################
Ginger Beer

1 cup raw sugar
2-3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger root
Juice of 2 lemons
Strips of lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon fresh champagne yeast (from a home-brewer store)
Fresh, pure water

For 1 liter of ginger beer: clean 1 liter plastic soft drink bottle with
cap; it’s not a bad idea to pour a little hot water over and into them
to sterilize, but be careful not to boil them! (you can also use smaller
or larger bottle depending on size of batch; I prefer four 500 mL
plastic bottles)

1) Gently boil the sugar in 1 cup of water with the ginger root and
strips of lemon peel from one or more lemons (not the white pith, just
the outer yellow skin), until thickened and syrupy - about half an hour.
Let cool to about 90-100 degrees - about an hour depending on your room
temp.

2) Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water and let sit for no more
than 10-15 minutes.

3) When the syrup has cooled, remove lemon peels but leave in ginger.
Add the yeast and stir well. Split the ginger syrup evenly between the
bottle/s.

4) Fill the bottles with fresh water to about 1 1/2 - 2? from the top.
Put the caps on securely. Squeeze a bottle near the top to feel how it
feels un-carbonated.

5) Place the bottles in a warm out-of-the-way place for 24 hours if it’s
warm (80-90 degrees) - I put ours inside a cooler in the workshop, in
case a bottle blows, to confine the mess. To check the bottle for
carbonation, gently - gently! - squeeze and you’ll feel the firm
pressure. If it’s cooler, it might take longer.

6) After the ginger beer has carbonated, refrigerate to stop the yeast
action. It’s advisable to release a little of the pressure when it goes
into the fridge - loosen cap slightly and let it “pish” just a tad.

7) To serve, pour through a strainer, and don’t pour all the way out or
shake, as you don’t want the yeast sediment in the bottom.

Enjoy!

Source
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...er_Ale_Ag0.htm

>> So now I have to make sure I always have some fresh meat on hand :-)

> Bet they'd settle for dog food. Canned or dry bits.

I never have canned dog food so they miss out there. But they did love
the lamb chops I sliced up for them :-)

> Magpies are beautiful birds to me, and have interesting personalities.

Wonderful sounds they make too.

And now I have a Kookaburra getting in on the act!!

--
Peter Lucas Come to the edge, Life said.
Brisbane They said: We are afraid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 8>,
PeterL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> news >
>
> >> Apparently the leftover syrup is quite good on icecream and in
> >> tea/coffee. Personally, I don't eat the stuff, or drink the
> >> syrup....... too sugary for me!!

> > Heh! Dad's been making ginger-ale lately by simply pureeing the ginger
> > root in the blender and straining off the juice, and adding that to
> > plain unflavored soda water. Adding honey or raw sugar as desired.

> Homemade Ginger Ale.........
>
> Ginger water
> 1 cup peeled, finely chopped ginger
> 2 cups water
>
> Simple Syrup
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 cup water
>
> Club soda
> Lime juice
> Lime wedges

I'll have to suggest the addition of lime to him.
That sounds good!

> 1 Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add ginger. Reduce heat
> to medium low and let ginger sit in the simmering water for 5 minutes.
> Remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Strain liquid through a
> fine mesh strainer. Discard ginger pieces.
>
> 2 In a separate saucepan, make the Simple Syrup by dissolving 1 cup
> granulated sugar into 1 cup of boiling water. Set aside.
>
> 3 Make individual (tall) glasses of ginger ale by mixing 1/2 cup of
> ginger water with 1/3 cup of Simple Syrup and 1/2 cup of club soda. Add
> a few drops of fresh lime juice and a lime wedge to each glass.
>
> Makes four servings.
>
> ##################################
> Ginger Beer
>
> 1 cup raw sugar
> 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger root
> Juice of 2 lemons
> Strips of lemon peel
> 1/4 teaspoon fresh champagne yeast (from a home-brewer store)
> Fresh, pure water
>
> For 1 liter of ginger beer: clean 1 liter plastic soft drink bottle with
> cap; it’s not a bad idea to pour a little hot water over and into them
> to sterilize, but be careful not to boil them! (you can also use smaller
> or larger bottle depending on size of batch; I prefer four 500 mL
> plastic bottles)
>
> 1) Gently boil the sugar in 1 cup of water with the ginger root and
> strips of lemon peel from one or more lemons (not the white pith, just
> the outer yellow skin), until thickened and syrupy - about half an hour.
> Let cool to about 90-100 degrees - about an hour depending on your room
> temp.
>
> 2) Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water and let sit for no more
> than 10-15 minutes.
>
> 3) When the syrup has cooled, remove lemon peels but leave in ginger.
> Add the yeast and stir well. Split the ginger syrup evenly between the
> bottle/s.
>
> 4) Fill the bottles with fresh water to about 1 1/2 - 2? from the top.
> Put the caps on securely. Squeeze a bottle near the top to feel how it
> feels un-carbonated.
>
> 5) Place the bottles in a warm out-of-the-way place for 24 hours if it’s
> warm (80-90 degrees) - I put ours inside a cooler in the workshop, in
> case a bottle blows, to confine the mess. To check the bottle for
> carbonation, gently - gently! - squeeze and you’ll feel the firm
> pressure. If it’s cooler, it might take longer.
>
> 6) After the ginger beer has carbonated, refrigerate to stop the yeast
> action. It’s advisable to release a little of the pressure when it goes
> into the fridge - loosen cap slightly and let it “pish” just a tad.
>
> 7) To serve, pour through a strainer, and don’t pour all the way out or
> shake, as you don’t want the yeast sediment in the bottom.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Source
> http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...er_Ale_Ag0.htm

I'll have to share this one with Dwight. :-)
He likes to brew.

> >> So now I have to make sure I always have some fresh meat on hand :-)

> > Bet they'd settle for dog food. Canned or dry bits.

> I never have canned dog food so they miss out there. But they did love
> the lamb chops I sliced up for them :-)

Man, you DO spoil them! <G>

> > Magpies are beautiful birds to me, and have interesting personalities.

> Wonderful sounds they make too.
>

> And now I have a Kookaburra getting in on the act!!

Wish you could record that!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

_.-In rec.food.cooking, PeterL wrote the following -._
> Ginger Beer

I was looking for a Ginger Beer recipie just today. Stopped by our
local brew shop to see if they had one on file. Figured the cost at
about $32 so it will have to wait till after payday.

> 1 cup raw sugar
> 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger root
> Juice of 2 lemons
> Strips of lemon peel
> 1/4 teaspoon fresh champagne yeast (from a home-brewer store)

Where is the malt? Where is the yeast?

> Fresh, pure water

Oh. That kind of ginger beer. Sorry about that.

--
=()==()==()==()==()- http://fauxascii.com
\ \ \ \ \ \ ASCII artist
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news

>> And now I have a Kookaburra getting in on the act!!

> Wish you could record that!

He's too fast. Scared the crap outta me by screaming in about 2' behind my
back and snatching a piece of meat off the railing right next to me!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Come to the edge, Life said.