Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peeling fresh ginger.

Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to pick
up 3 to make some candied ginger.

Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to a
bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can also
use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.

Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> wrote:

>Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to pick
>up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>
>Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
>about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to a
>bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can also
>use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>
>Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery :-)

Yes it should disguise the smell of shit very well.......but does it
remove the stains?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> wrote:

> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to pick
> up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>
> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
> about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to a
> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can also
> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>
> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery :-)

I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:
>
>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
>> pick up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>
>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>> have shifted to a bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo
>> much easier, as I can also use it to cut out any knobbly bit that
>> aren't wanted.
>>
>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>> gingery :-)

> I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
> best.

That's why I gave the spoon away and went with the blade of a butter
knife. I'd left the ginger out of the fridge from this morning, so it
had softened just a little bit, and I don't think the peeler would have
been any chop.

All done now though :-)

The SO came home and first thing that was said as she walked in the door
..... "Mmmmmmmmmmm, that smells nice!".

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:
>
>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
>> pick
>> up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>
>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
>> about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to
>> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can
>> also
>> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>>
>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery
>> :-)

> I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
> best.

That's what I use too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:
>
>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
>> pick
>> up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>
>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
>> about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to
>> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can
>> also
>> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>>
>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery
>> :-)

> I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
> best.

I have never used anything but a peeler. Why bother?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 1:30*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> > > wrote:

> >> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
> >> pick
> >> up 3 to make some candied ginger.

> >> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
> >> about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to
> >> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can
> >> also
> >> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.

> >> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery
> >> :-)

> > I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
> > best.

> I have never used anything but a peeler. *Why bother?

Paring knife: pare, then slice, then chop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in
:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided
>>> to pick
>>> up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>>
>>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>>> have shifted to a
>>> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I
>>> can also
>>> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>>>
>>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>>> gingery
>>> :-)

>> I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
>> best.

> I have never used anything but a peeler. Why bother?
>
> Paul

Try a butter knife.
Less wastage.

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided
>>> to pick
>>> up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>>
>>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>>> have shifted to a
>>> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I
>>> can also
>>> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>>>
>>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>>> gingery
>>> :-)

>> I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
>> best.

> That's what I use too.

A butter knife basically 'rubs' the skin off, rather than using a peeler
to take a layer.

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chopped all the ginger (1.7lb.... or 786g's).... brought the recipe up on
the Tablet in the kitchen (thanks GloriaP!!) which called for 1lb of ginger
so just fudged the rest of the recipe to suit. Used half raw sugar and half
white, used the clear light corn syrup with a good splodge of dark
CS......... and now it's on and gently simmering away and filling the house
with a gingery sweet smell.

I'll leave it cook for a good 24 hours, maybe a bit longer, and then leave
the ginger soaking in the syrup (in the fridge) for the whole time we'll be
away in Hobart checking out our new house.

I'll turn it into the candied ginger when we get back home.

--
Peter
Tasmania

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2012 1:12 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to pick
> up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>
> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
> about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to a
> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can also
> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>
> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery :-)

What's wrong with a standard vegetable peeler? That's what I always use.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in
:

> On 2/16/2012 1:12 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
>> pick up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>
>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>> have shifted to a bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo
>> much easier, as I can also use it to cut out any knobbly bit that
>> aren't wanted.
>>
>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>> gingery :-)
>>

> What's wrong with a standard vegetable peeler? That's what I always
> use.

Try the butter knife and see.

It virtually rubs/peels the skin off, rather than using a vege peeler and
you chucking half your ginger away into the compost.

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2012 8:14 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
> James > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 2/16/2012 1:12 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
>>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
>>> pick up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>>
>>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>>> have shifted to a bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo
>>> much easier, as I can also use it to cut out any knobbly bit that
>>> aren't wanted.
>>>
>>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>>> gingery :-)
>>>

>> What's wrong with a standard vegetable peeler? That's what I always
>> use.
>>

> Try the butter knife and see.
>
> It virtually rubs/peels the skin off, rather than using a vege peeler and
> you chucking half your ginger away into the compost.

While I do try to select roots with as few small knobs as possible,
that's an exaggeration! Anyway, ginger is cheap enough even if I do
store mine in the freezer.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in
:

> On 2/16/2012 8:14 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
>> James > wrote in
>> :

>>> What's wrong with a standard vegetable peeler? That's what I always
>>> use.
>>>

>> Try the butter knife and see.
>>
>> It virtually rubs/peels the skin off, rather than using a vege peeler
>> and you chucking half your ginger away into the compost.
>>

> While I do try to select roots with as few small knobs as possible,
> that's an exaggeration!

Not talking about knobbly bits. Check the difference between a vege
slicer 'slice', and using a butter knife.

If you're not willing to try, it's no use continuing the conversation.

> Anyway, ginger is cheap enough even if I do
> store mine in the freezer.

How cheap is cheap?

And I've never frozen it before. Does it affect it in any way? (ie make
it mushy/soft etc)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/02/2012 1:45 AM, sf wrote:

>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
>> about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to a
>> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can also
>> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>>
>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery :-)

> I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
> best.

I started using a spoon and found that it works great. At Christmas a
friend sent me a ceramic pealer, the type with the perpendicular blade.
Last week I had about 2 1/2 lb of ginger to peel for candied ginger
and tried the ceramic peeler. It worked great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
m:

> On 16/02/2012 1:45 AM, sf wrote:
>
>>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>>> have shifted to a bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo
>>> much easier, as I can also use it to cut out any knobbly bit that
>>> aren't wanted.
>>>
>>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>>> gingery :-)

>> I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
>> best.
>>

> I started using a spoon and found that it works great. At Christmas a
> friend sent me a ceramic pealer, the type with the perpendicular
> blade.
> Last week I had about 2 1/2 lb of ginger to peel for candied ginger
> and tried the ceramic peeler. It worked great.

How'd the ginger turn out? And do you save the syrup for coffee etc?

My house smells like a damn ginger factory at the moment!!

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2012 8:59 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
> James > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 2/16/2012 8:14 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
>>> James > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Try the butter knife and see.
>>>
>>> It virtually rubs/peels the skin off, rather than using a vege peeler
>>> and you chucking half your ginger away into the compost.
>>>

>> While I do try to select roots with as few small knobs as possible,
>> that's an exaggeration!

> Not talking about knobbly bits. Check the difference between a vege
> slicer 'slice', and using a butter knife.
>
> If you're not willing to try, it's no use continuing the conversation.
>

>> Anyway, ginger is cheap enough even if I do
>> store mine in the freezer.
>>

> How cheap is cheap?
>
> And I've never frozen it before. Does it affect it in any way? (ie make
> it mushy/soft etc)

Freezing seems to work fine for me. Tho' texture is not a great concern
in Indian and Chinese food and gingerbread but it doesn't seem mushy.
I'll have to report back on what I pay for the root since I've quite
forgotten.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I'm back on the laptop" > wrote in message
> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to pick
> up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>
> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep forgetting
> about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but have shifted to a
> bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo much easier, as I can
> also
> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>
> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and gingery :-)
>
> --
> Peter
> Tasmania
> Australia

I'd recommend using a plane-type grater. Similiar to a cheese grater.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:52:50 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
> wrote:

> A butter knife basically 'rubs' the skin off, rather than using a peeler
> to take a layer.

I don't care. A peeler is faster and takes the skin off better. I
don't peel ginger most of the time because I usually grate it and the
peel mostly just lifts up on the sides. If I get a little grated peel
in whatever it is I'm making, that doesn't matter either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I'm back on the laptop" > wrote in message
> James Silverton > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 2/16/2012 1:12 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
>>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
>>> pick up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>>
>>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>>> have shifted to a bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo
>>> much easier, as I can also use it to cut out any knobbly bit that
>>> aren't wanted.
>>>
>>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>>> gingery :-)
>>>

>> What's wrong with a standard vegetable peeler? That's what I always
>> use.
>>

> Try the butter knife and see.
>
> It virtually rubs/peels the skin off, rather than using a vege peeler and
> you chucking half your ginger away into the compost.

Not even. My peeler just takes off the skin which is why I use it. No
waste to speak of.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "I'm back on the laptop" > wrote in message
>> James Silverton > wrote in
>> :

>>> What's wrong with a standard vegetable peeler? That's what I always
>>> use.
>>>

>> Try the butter knife and see.
>>
>> It virtually rubs/peels the skin off, rather than using a vege peeler and
>> you chucking half your ginger away into the compost.

> Not even. My peeler just takes off the skin which is why I use it. No
> waste to speak of.
>
> Paul

sounds like a technique issue with the peelers. I envision Paul making
calculated strokes, and the wasteful folks running the peeler back and forth
like a madman.

I use a spoon to peel ginger, but have also used a peeler.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 9:25*am, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in ...
>

> > "I'm back on the laptop" > wrote in message
> >> James Silverton > wrote in
> :

> >> Try the butter knife and see.

> >> It virtually rubs/peels the skin off, rather than using a vege peeler and
> >> you chucking half your ginger away into the compost.

> > Not even. *My peeler just takes off the skin which is why I use it. *No
> > waste to speak of.

> > Paul

> sounds like a technique issue with the peelers. *I envision Paul making
> calculated strokes, and the wasteful folks running the peeler back and forth
> like a madman.

For me, using a peeler on small diameter items is annoying, no matter
how well it works on apples and potatoes. Easier to use a paring knife
on ginger root or broccoli stalks.

> I use a spoon to peel ginger, but have also used a peeler.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:25:03 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> sounds like a technique issue with the peelers. I envision Paul making
> calculated strokes, and the wasteful folks running the peeler back and forth
> like a madman.
>
> I use a spoon to peel ginger, but have also used a peeler.

I think it's the peeler's fault rather than the person using it
although I have watched certain people make a big mess out of
something extremely simple. I have three peelers and one can really
dig into the object I'm peeling if I'm not careful. The other two
just do their job without me putting any thought into it or applying
any "technique". I should have thrown the digger away a long time
ago. Not sure why it's still taking up space, but it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:58:18 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"

:

>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 06:12:41 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
>>> pick up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>>
>>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>>> have shifted to a bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo
>>> much easier, as I can also use it to cut out any knobbly bit that
>>> aren't wanted.
>>>
>>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>>> gingery :-)

>> I've tried those blunt objects and really, a vegetable peeler works
>> best.
>>

>That's why I gave the spoon away and went with the blade of a butter
>knife. I'd left the ginger out of the fridge from this morning, so it
>had softened just a little bit, and I don't think the peeler would have
>been any chop.
>
>All done now though :-)

For candied ginger I hope you bought the fiberless type or all your
efforts will be for nought. Next time remove that thin skin with a
soft ss wire brush.

Works for scraping carrots too:
http://www.amazon.com/US-Forge-Weldi...9417675&sr=8-1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I started using a spoon and found that it works great. At Christmas a
> friend sent me a ceramic pealer, the type with the perpendicular blade.
> Last week I had about 2 1/2 lb of ginger to peel for candied ginger
> and tried the ceramic peeler. It worked great.

I have one of those which I use regularly, but
for ginger I prefer my old straight peeler.
I find it gives me more control going around
the thumbs of the ginger. But both peelers
work well for most peeling purposes. I wonder
why I've never seen a straight peeler with a
ceramic blade. Maybe the blade would snap off.

I noticed a crack in the ceramic blade right
at the pivot point, but so far it hasn't
affected operation. I don't know how long
it's had this crack, so I don't know if I
caused it or how. As long as it continues
working fine, I guess it doesn't matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:25:03 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>sounds like a technique issue with the peelers. I envision Paul making
>calculated strokes, and the wasteful folks running the peeler back and forth
>like a madman.
>
>I use a spoon to peel ginger, but have also used a peeler.

Waste is an issue but speed is more important to me. A spoon works
the best for me. A peeler is way to slow.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/02/2012 2:10 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> I use a spoon to peel ginger, but have also used a peeler.

> Waste is an issue but speed is more important to me. A spoon works
> the best for me. A peeler is way to slow.

I was impressed with the spoon method. As previously mentioned, when I
made candied ginger a couple weeks ago I tried that ceramic peeler and
was quite impressed. It was faster than the spoon and not much waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use one of these: http://tinyurl.com/7eqyxpj It works very well.
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/02/2012 4:57 PM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> I use one of these: http://tinyurl.com/7eqyxpj It works very well.

This is the one that I had such good luck with for ginger... and other
peeling.

http://mainmainmasakmasak.wordpress....etable-peeler/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in news:jhj4u6$fri$1
@dont-email.me:

> On 2/16/2012 8:59 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:

>> How cheap is cheap?
>>
>> And I've never frozen it before. Does it affect it in any way? (ie make
>> it mushy/soft etc)
>>

> Freezing seems to work fine for me. Tho' texture is not a great concern
> in Indian and Chinese food and gingerbread but it doesn't seem mushy.
> I'll have to report back on what I pay for the root since I've quite
> forgotten.

Hmmmmm, next time I see some going cheap, I'll grab a bunch and freeze it.

It usuallt retails for about $13kg here.

--
Peter
Tasmania

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> "I'm back on the laptop" > wrote in message
>> Saw some the other day at the markets, and at $2.99 a bag, decided to
>> pick up 3 to make some candied ginger.
>>
>> Have only just got around to peeling the damn stuff (I keep
>> forgetting about *that* part!!), and started out using a spoon, but
>> have shifted to a bread and butter knife....... sooooooooooooooooo
>> much easier, as I can also
>> use it to cut out any knobbly bit that aren't wanted.
>>
>> Oh well....back into it...... at least my hands smell nice and
>> gingery :-)
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Tasmania
>> Australia

> I'd recommend using a plane-type grater. Similiar to a cheese grater.
>
> Jill

Microplane?

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:26:00 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:
>

>> Extra fibre :-)
>>
>> Doing the candied ginger........ well, it's gotta be peeled, and I
>> like my peeled ginger to look nice.

> Heh. That's the main reason why I don't even try making candied
> ginger. No matter what implement is used for it, I absolutely hate
> peeling ginger.

LOL!!! I was standing at the kitchen bench getting the skin off the
ginger when the SO came home from work... she commented on the fact that
it smelt nice..... I said "I keep forgetting this damn part whenever I
make this stuff!!"

It's (apparently) like childbirth...... you go through hell and say
you're never going to do it again, and then down the track you remember
those sweet little things and want to do it again, and have completely
forgotten about the 'pain' involved!!

Maybe someday someone will sell peeled ginger in the supermarket......
I'd sure as hell buy it!!! :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Peter Lucas > wrote:
>> It's (apparently) like childbirth...... you go through hell and say
>> you're never going to do it again, and then down the track you
>> remember those sweet little things and want to do it again, and have
>> completely forgotten about the 'pain' involved!!

Easy for you to say, you don't have a vagina.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz replied to Captain Peter Swallows:

>>> It's (apparently) like childbirth...... you go through hell and say
>>> you're never going to do it again, and then down the track you
>>> remember those sweet little things and want to do it again, and have
>>> completely forgotten about the 'pain' involved!!

> Easy for you to say, you don't have a vagina.

Once Swallows saves up enough money for the operation, then she can
FINALLY remedy that little discrepancy.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2012 8:30 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/16/2012 8:14 AM, I'm back on the laptop wrote:
>> James > wrote in
>> :

>>> What's wrong with a standard vegetable peeler? That's what I always
>>> use.
>>>

>> Try the butter knife and see.
>>
>> It virtually rubs/peels the skin off, rather than using a vege peeler and
>> you chucking half your ginger away into the compost.
>>

> While I do try to select roots with as few small knobs as possible,
> that's an exaggeration! Anyway, ginger is cheap enough even if I do
> store mine in the freezer.

The price for fresh ginger was $1.68 a pound today in Rockville, MD
.....not exactly a luxury price requiring careful conservation of every
little piece.
--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/02/2012 2:51 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> The price for fresh ginger was $1.68 a pound today in Rockville, MD
> ....not exactly a luxury price requiring careful conservation of every
> little piece.

I got a couple pounds of it about two weeks ago for 89 cents per pound.
I lucked out. I was going to get it no matter what because I go through
a lot of candied ginger and the best price I can find around here for
that stuff in $16 per pound. I figure it takes less than 5 minutes to
peel and slice a couple pounds, virtually no work to cooking it, just
sticking around for a coupe hours. With sugar and electricity, maybe an
extra buck and a half, I get close to 45 bucks worth of candied ginger
for less than $5 and maybe 10 minutes of work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

>For me, using a peeler on small diameter items is annoying, no matter
>how well it works on apples and potatoes. Easier to use a paring knife
>on ginger root or broccoli stalks.

>> I use a spoon to peel ginger, but have also used a peeler.

The skin doesn't adhere strongly, so a spoon usually works. (If a
spoon doesn't work, your ginger is probably well past its prime.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Interesting issue this peeling ginger.

I like to buy lots of the younger fresh ginger when it is in season
here in Australia and freeze it, and for the record it does go soggy
in the freezer but it isn't a problem for how I use it in my cooking.

On peeling, I use a non metallic scourer and literally wear the skin
off. It doesn't waste as much as peeling does, and gives those
arthritic old fingers a bit of exercise :-)

Cheerz Mark.

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 00:21:02 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"

:

>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:26:00 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Extra fibre :-)
>>>
>>> Doing the candied ginger........ well, it's gotta be peeled, and I
>>> like my peeled ginger to look nice.

>> Heh. That's the main reason why I don't even try making candied
>> ginger. No matter what implement is used for it, I absolutely hate
>> peeling ginger.
>>

>LOL!!! I was standing at the kitchen bench getting the skin off the
>ginger when the SO came home from work... she commented on the fact that
>it smelt nice..... I said "I keep forgetting this damn part whenever I
>make this stuff!!"
>
>It's (apparently) like childbirth...... you go through hell and say
>you're never going to do it again, and then down the track you remember
>those sweet little things and want to do it again, and have completely
>forgotten about the 'pain' involved!!
>
>Maybe someday someone will sell peeled ginger in the supermarket......
>I'd sure as hell buy it!!! :-)

Remove the remove to email me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"I'm back on the laptop" > wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in
> :

> > I have never used anything but a peeler. Why bother?
> >
> > Paul

> Try a butter knife.
> Less wastage.

I tried the butter knife trick today when I made some applesauce with
some Jonagolds I bought at Costco. As Peter pointed out, there was very
little waste. I'd probably slice my hands up if I used a peeler, since
we normally buy ginger in thumb-length quantities rather than a whole
hand.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2012 2:19 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> For me, using a peeler on small diameter items is annoying, no matter
>> how well it works on apples and potatoes. Easier to use a paring knife
>> on ginger root or broccoli stalks.

>>> I use a spoon to peel ginger, but have also used a peeler.

> The skin doesn't adhere strongly, so a spoon usually works. (If a
> spoon doesn't work, your ginger is probably well past its prime.)

I use a spoon. I've tried many other methods and the spoon works the
best for me.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Peeling and Grating Ginger Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 26 21-02-2014 06:38 AM
Peeling fresh ginger I'm back on the laptop General Cooking 1 25-02-2012 03:25 PM
Peeling fresh ginger I'm back on the laptop General Cooking 2 17-02-2012 12:02 AM
Peeling fresh peaches KEN Baking 3 03-08-2007 07:23 PM
Peeling ginger in bulk Andy Katz General Cooking 9 14-06-2006 12:16 AM