Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Queen Elizabeth in America! :)

Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?

In wartime, God save the Queen! In peacetime, I'll save the Queen!

"Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl..."
--The Beatles

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?

Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?

> Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case

Now you tell me???

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Oh, with crusts cut off. :~)

Off with their crusts!
--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler said...

> kilikini wrote:
>
>> Oh, with crusts cut off. :~)

> Off with their crusts!
> --Lia

Oh, behave!

Pushaw!!!

Andy
Royal PITA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?

>> Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case

> Now you tell me???
>
> Andy

Oh, with crusts cut off. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> Oh, with crusts cut off. :~)

> Off with their crusts!
> --Lia

ROFL good one!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?

>> Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case

> Now you tell me???

Oh, almost forgot, you better rush off the store for some "gourmet" pet
food, in case she brings her corgi's along too
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> Chatty Cathy said...

>>> Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case

>> Now you tell me???
>>
>> Andy

> Oh, with crusts cut off. :~)
>
> kili

And with the pointy edges trimmed off. By tradition, according to a royal
chef, sammiches with pointy edges are never served to a monarch because the
points are reminiscent of swords.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote
> And with the pointy edges trimmed off. By tradition, according to a royal
> chef, sammiches with pointy edges are never served to a monarch because
> the points are reminiscent of swords.

Did you see where some Richmond, VA restaurants have banners out reading
" QUEEN EATS FOR FREE?"

hahaha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberSQUAT wrote:

> "Felice Friese" > wrote
> > And with the pointy edges trimmed off. By tradition, according to a

royal
> > chef, sammiches with pointy edges are never served to a monarch because
> > the points are reminiscent of swords.
> >

> Did you see where some Richmond, VA restaurants have banners out reading
> " QUEEN EATS FOR FREE?"
>
> hahaha!

Even better, a Richmond *** bar had a sign out saying:

"EAT QUEENS FOR FREE..."

hahaha!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?

> Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case

English food sucks! (Wonder how much grief I will get for this one,
hahahaha!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberSQUAT wrote:

> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> > Andy wrote:
> >> Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?

> > Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case
> >

> English food sucks! (Wonder how much grief I will get for this one,
> hahahaha!)

Not nearly as much grief as you'd get for the pish - poor quality of your
posts as of late, luv...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> cyberSQUAT wrote:

>> > Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case
>> >

>> English food sucks! (Wonder how much grief I will get for this one,
>> hahahaha!)

> Not nearly as much grief as you'd get for the pish - poor quality of your
> posts as of late, luv...

Of LATE? Of LATE? How dare you.

P.S. Have you heard that Old Queens Eat for Free in Richmond, VA?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 5:21 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?

> Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case

She should have been offered that old Richmond "taste treat".. the
Baloney-burger.

T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 12:58 pm, PeterL > wrote:
> wrote in news:1178296755.945406.6350
> @h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> >> Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case

> > She should have been offered that old Richmond "taste treat".. the
> > Baloney-burger.

> > T.

> Oi!!!!
>
> That's my bloody Monarch you're dissin'.

I was merely "dissing" Richmond cuisine.. remember that you're
antipodal.

T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Do ya think Her Majesty would like biscuits and gravy?
>

> In wartime, God save the Queen! In peacetime, I'll save the Queen!
>

> "Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl..."
> --The Beatles

Andy,
Don't take the flack from this lot. Remember, her mum and dad wanted hot
dogs when they were entertained by FDR. I think she would appreciate the
offer of biscuits and gravy, she probably would like to try something
different. Besides, biscuits are round, so you wouldn't offend with pointy
edges.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 10:24 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Felice Friese" > wrote
>
> > And with the pointy edges trimmed off. By tradition, according to a royal
> > chef, sammiches with pointy edges are never served to a monarch because
> > the points are reminiscent of swords.

> Did you see where some Richmond, VA restaurants have banners out reading
> " QUEEN EATS FOR FREE?"
>
> hahaha!

Last year on Iowa's great bicycle ride (RAGBRAI), some of the local
vendors capitalized on Lance Armstrong's presence on the ride with
signs that said everyone named Lance could eat free.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> > Better have some cucumber sandwiches ready, just in case
> >

> English food sucks! (Wonder how much grief I will get for this one,
> hahahaha!)

Some of it does. A lot of it is very good. There is nothing wrong with a
nice prime rib roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, roasted potatoes and
vegetables. The English have a long tradition of having enough good meat
and vegetables that they didn't have to use a lot of heavily spiced sauces
and starch to pad it out.

Thank goodness I grew up on English food instead of Italian. I was able to
eat something different every day instead of having
- spaghetti ..... strands of pasta served with a tomato sauce
- rigatoni......... tubes of pasta served with a bit of meat in a tomato
sauce
- lasagne........ sheets of pasta covered a bit of cheese, a bit of meat
and tomato sauce
- ravioli......... squares of pasta stuffed with a tiny bit of meat and
covered in tomato sauce
- linguini........ flattened strands of pasta served with a tomato sauce

pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan..... a complete pantry for Italian
cuisine

:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Even better, a Richmond *** bar had a sign out saying:
>
> "EAT QUEENS FOR FREE..."
>
> hahaha!

The only trick is they had to enter through the back door.

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I didn't know the Queen of England was Elton John. Go figure.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
>I didn't know the Queen of England was Elton John. Go figure.

That's Greg Morrow. And he eats for free!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Thank goodness I grew up on English food instead of Italian. I was able to
> eat something different every day instead of having
> - spaghetti ..... strands of pasta served with a tomato sauce
> - rigatoni......... tubes of pasta served with a bit of meat in a tomato
> sauce
> - lasagne........ sheets of pasta covered a bit of cheese, a bit of meat
> and tomato sauce
> - ravioli......... squares of pasta stuffed with a tiny bit of meat and
> covered in tomato sauce
> - linguini........ flattened strands of pasta served with a tomato sauce
>
> pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan..... a complete pantry for
> Italian
> cuisine
>

> :-)

Wow, Dave! I know you know better! Veal Marsala? Chicken Marsala? Even
Pork Marsala? Osso Buco (well, some tomato paste)? Chicken Piccata?
Risotto? Chicken Francese? Bistecca alla Fiorentina? Cannoli? Zeppole?
And these are just a *few* examples of dishes that are known outside of
Italy! There's more to eat than just Toad-in-the-Hole and Spotted Dick!
And Poutine (for the Canadian in you!) :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 8:24 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Felice Friese" > wrote
>
> > And with the pointy edges trimmed off. By tradition, according to a royal
> > chef, sammiches with pointy edges are never served to a monarch because
> > the points are reminiscent of swords.

> Did you see where some Richmond, VA restaurants have banners out reading
> " QUEEN EATS FOR FREE?"
>
> hahaha!

Hey, she's the richest woman in the world. I like her just fine--
better than I like her children in fact, but she's hardly in need of
anyone's charity. =o) Who knows, she might privately hope that
SOMEBODY will offer her a nice platter of barbecued ribs, while she's
here.

Melissa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> In wartime, God save the Queen! In peacetime, I'll save the Queen!

I think I got that backwards!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan..... a complete pantry for
>> Italian cuisine

:-)

What is really sad is that a lot of people think that is true. Toss a
little oregano into the dish and it suddenly becomes Italian.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco's Tacos wrote:

> > pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan..... a complete pantry for
> > Italian
> > cuisine
> >

> > :-)

> Wow, Dave! I know you know better! Veal Marsala? Chicken Marsala? Even
> Pork Marsala? Osso Buco (well, some tomato paste)? Chicken Piccata?
> Risotto? Chicken Francese? Bistecca alla Fiorentina? Cannoli? Zeppole?
> And these are just a *few* examples of dishes that are known outside of
> Italy! There's more to eat than just Toad-in-the-Hole and Spotted Dick!

True but if you go to any average Italian restaurant here you will find
they are famous for their lasagne or pizza. You will find all the
variations of pasta was red sauces, al Fredo and maybe clams linguini.
You may get one of the the dishes you mentioned offered, but it is more
guaranteed they will have Veal Parmesan topped with a cheap mozzarella the
omnipresent tomato sauce.

A few years ago I was at a weeding in a Polish hall and expecting a Polish
meal. An Italian couple at the table started harping about English food and
how boring it was. I piped about Italian wedding (and other ) dinners I
had been to in the past and how they always had the same dishes..... a
antipasto plate consisting of a few slices of cold cuts, a few olives and
some cheese, then either Minestrone or chicken soup, pasta, a very simple
salad, overcooked roast beef and roasted chicken pieces with roast
potatoes, beans and carrots. It turned out that the dinner was an Italian
menu, and it came just as I expected; a plate with a slice of prosciutto
with melon, a boccincinni and a few olives, then Chicken Noodle soup, a
lettuce salad with a bit of onion and tomato, Rigatoni, and then some dried
up grey roast beef, roasted chicken pieces, roasted potatoes and peas and
carrots. The Rigatoni was good, but it helped reinforce my views that
Italian dinners are no more exciting than English food. At least the
English know how to cook a chunk of meat without covering it in crumbs and
frying it before putting sauce over top of it .

> And Poutine (for the Canadian in you!) :-)

Heart attack on a plate? No thanks. I never touch the stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> English food sucks! (Wonder how much grief I will get for this one,
> hahahaha!)

You haven't been to England lately, have you! Things have come a long,
long way.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> True but if you go to any average Italian restaurant here you will find
> they are famous for their lasagne or pizza. You will find all the
> variations of pasta was red sauces, al Fredo and maybe clams linguini.
> You may get one of the the dishes you mentioned offered, but it is more
> guaranteed they will have Veal Parmesan topped with a cheap mozzarella
> the
> omnipresent tomato sauce.

Key word here is "average". It is, sadely, what is expected in this part
of the world and does not resemble true Italian food.

If you go to a supermarket in Italy, you'll find a wide assortment of
seafood, probably 200 cheeses, and yes, a large assortment of salamis. But
you will also find salads, veggies, fruits, that we see little of in North
America.

> The Rigatoni was good, but it helped reinforce my views that
> Italian dinners are no more exciting than English food. At least the
> English know how to cook a chunk of meat without covering it in crumbs and
> frying it before putting sauce over top of it .

It may take a trip to Italy to change your mind. What you see in this area
is little more than cookie cutter stamped food smothered in bad sauce and
cheap cheese, much like the pu-pu platter that every Chinese restaurant
offers. In Italy, you'll see most don't even offer lasagna and the one I
did have was nothing like we make here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Paco's Tacos wrote:
>>> pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan..... a complete pantry for
>>> Italian
>>> cuisine

At least the
> English know how to cook a chunk of meat without covering it in crumbs and
> frying it before putting sauce over top of it .

And so do I, and all the other Italian cooks I know. Banquets are not a
very good example of any cuisine. Weddings have changed quite a bit,
too. People are willing to spend more money on them now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote

> "Dave Smith" > wrote

>> True but if you go to any average Italian restaurant here you will find
>> they are famous for their lasagne or pizza. You will find all the
>> variations of pasta was red sauces, al Fredo and maybe clams linguini.
>> You may get one of the the dishes you mentioned offered, but it is more
>> guaranteed they will have Veal Parmesan topped with a cheap mozzarella
>> the
>> omnipresent tomato sauce.

> Key word here is "average". It is, sadely, what is expected in this
> part of the world and does not resemble true Italian food.

The local restaurant writer calls them red sauce restaurants. They
aren't to be confused with actual food in Italy. That's how I feel
about Mexican restaurants around here ... everything involves a
tortilla, some meat, salsa, melted cheese. Oh, the difference is, that
item is fried and this one is baked. Same ingredients. I don't actually
think it's authentically Mexican.

Red sauce restaurants probably outnumber more genuine Italian
restaurants by 100 to 1 where I live. That's being generous.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"limey" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> English food sucks! (Wonder how much grief I will get for this one,
>> hahahaha!)

> You haven't been to England lately, have you! Things have come a long,
> long way.

I was teasing, Dora, but do tell!

My point was, there are all these conventions in this group, one of them
being
"Domino's Pizza sucks!" And if those of us who dare to LIKE Domino's pizza
come out and say, "hey, I think it's just fine, I enjoy it," it's like some
major
breach of "taste," as though some have a kind of emotional stake in Domino's
pizza being universally accepted as sucky.

Conversely, someone comes out and says, "Italian's suck at white wine!" and
there's an uproar because someone has an emotional investment in the
contrary.
It's silly as hell. Taste is subjective. The rest is status-seeking
assholery.

So I said, "English food sucks," even though I have a genuine English aunt
who is a wonderful cook--simple foods prepared healthily, no heavy spices,
but perfectly wholesome, delicious food. AND she can make a pie from
scratch with perfect crust and home made filling in a toaster oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan..... a complete pantry for
>>> Italian cuisine

> :-)
>
> What is really sad is that a lot of people think that is true. Toss a
> little oregano into the dish and it suddenly becomes Italian.

What is American food like, Edwin?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "limey" > wrote in message
>> cybercat wrote:
>>
>>> English food sucks! (Wonder how much grief I will get for this one,
>>> hahahaha!)

>> You haven't been to England lately, have you! Things have come a
>> long, long way.
>>

> I was teasing, Dora, but do tell!
>
> My point was, there are all these conventions in this group, one of
> them being
> "Domino's Pizza sucks!" And if those of us who dare to LIKE Domino's
> pizza come out and say, "hey, I think it's just fine, I enjoy it,"
> it's like some major
> breach of "taste," as though some have a kind of emotional stake in
> Domino's pizza being universally accepted as sucky.
>
> Conversely, someone comes out and says, "Italian's suck at white
> wine!" and there's an uproar because someone has an emotional
> investment in the contrary.
> It's silly as hell. Taste is subjective. The rest is status-seeking
> assholery.
>
> So I said, "English food sucks," even though I have a genuine English
> aunt who is a wonderful cook--simple foods prepared healthily, no
> heavy spices, but perfectly wholesome, delicious food. AND she can
> make a pie from scratch with perfect crust and home made filling in a
> toaster oven.

LOL - thanks for the explanation. I thought, "Oh, boy - here we go
again".

I can vouch for English cooks - there truly isn't/wasn't a bad one in
our family. When I say England has come a long, long way, I'm
personally fascinated by how far things *have* come - they speak of the
same foods, the same seasonings, the same dishes as we and others talk
about here and elsewhere. With so much immigration, there are Indian
restaurants everywhere, Chinese, Caribbean, and exotic markets.There are
really sophisticated chefs now, many of them on TV, and it has a
tremendous influence - no longer boiled cabbage and boiled potatoes, and
poor old infamous Spotted Dick.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"limey" > wrote

> LOL - thanks for the explanation. I thought, "Oh, boy - here we go
> again".

hahaha! I was surprised nobody got it.

> I can vouch for English cooks - there truly isn't/wasn't a bad one in our
> family. When I say England has come a long, long way, I'm personally
> fascinated by how far things *have* come - they speak of the same foods,
> the same seasonings, the same dishes as we and others talk about here and
> elsewhere.

The other thing is, *any* cuisine tradition can be prepared so that it is
delicious. It is true.

>With so much immigration, there are Indian restaurants everywhere, Chinese,
>Caribbean, and exotic markets.There are really sophisticated chefs now,
>many of them on TV, and it has a tremendous influence - no longer boiled
>cabbage and boiled potatoes, and poor old infamous Spotted Dick.

A great deal of what we eat around here is simple but delicious roasted
fowl,
steamed vegetables with a little butter on them, etc. I love cabbage and
boiled
potatoes, by the way. What is Spotted Dick?! If we add Bubble and Squeak
we could be talking about a blue movie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

limey wrote:
> I can vouch for English cooks - there truly isn't/wasn't a bad one in
> our family. When I say England has come a long, long way, I'm
> personally fascinated by how far things *have* come - they speak of the
> same foods, the same seasonings, the same dishes as we and others talk
> about here and elsewhere. With so much immigration, there are Indian
> restaurants everywhere, Chinese, Caribbean, and exotic markets.There are
> really sophisticated chefs now, many of them on TV, and it has a
> tremendous influence - no longer boiled cabbage and boiled potatoes, and
> poor old infamous Spotted Dick.

Cooks have to work with the ingredients available and every culture's
cuisine has evolved with the availability of a wider range of foods and
spices. Italian food is most often associated with pasta and tomato
sauces, but tomatoes were a new world fruit that was not available in Italy
until the mid 16th century. Potatoes, the staple starchy vegetable in
European cooking was also imported to Europe in the 16th century. Corn is
another food adopted by Europeans from the Americas. One of the trademarks
of a lot of Asian cooking is the use of hot spices, but chili peppers are
yet another South American export that were quickly adapted into Asian
cooking.

In Europe, a lot of the regional specialities originated in other
countries. What we think of as classic French cooking has evolved from
Italian dishes introduced by the chefs imported by Catherine de Medici. The
incredible pastry of Denmark was introduced to Danes in the 19th century by
Viennese bakers.

Things have changed a lot here in Canada during my lifetime. Oranges were a
rare treat when I was a kid. We never heard of mangoes, papayas, kiwis,
ginger root, soya sauce, hot peppers or a lot of other things. . There were
no taco shells or tortillas. Mustard was either prepared or mixed from
powder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> What is American food like, Edwin?

That opens another set of ideas. Like any cuisine, some is good, some is
less so. Even getting a consensus of what is American is impossible as
everything here aside from native Indian fare started abroad. Even hot dogs
and barbecue.

Seems though, that we've adopted the clambake and barbecue as some of our
most traditional but I'm sure others will have different ideas. Mac &
cheese?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > What is American food like, Edwin?

> That opens another set of ideas. Like any cuisine, some is good, some is
> less so. Even getting a consensus of what is American is impossible as
> everything here aside from native Indian fare started abroad. Even hot dogs
> and barbecue.
>
> Seems though, that we've adopted the clambake and barbecue as some of our
> most traditional but I'm sure others will have different ideas. Mac &
> cheese?

It would depend on whether you were in New England, or the Amish parts of
PA, Louisiana, Texas etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>

>> > What is American food like, Edwin?

>> That opens another set of ideas. Like any cuisine, some is good, some is
>> less so. Even getting a consensus of what is American is impossible as
>> everything here aside from native Indian fare started abroad. Even hot
>> dogs
>> and barbecue.
>>
>> Seems though, that we've adopted the clambake and barbecue as some of our
>> most traditional but I'm sure others will have different ideas. Mac &
>> cheese?

> It would depend on whether you were in New England, or the Amish parts of
> PA, Louisiana, Texas etc.

That's what I meant. To talk about "Italian Food" is equivalent to talking
about "American Food." The term is too general to really mean anything.