Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My first chuck roast, eek!

There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous,
but day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it
comes out yummy.

Serene, the meat-cooking neophyte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Say Serene Like You Mean It" > wrote

> There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous, but
> day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it comes out
> yummy.
>
> Serene, the meat-cooking neophyte

Oh! Well, I love chuck roast, but I have never cooked it in a
pressure cooker. I think whoever eats the results will be happy.
Good luck.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Apr 26, 9:23 pm, Say Serene Like You Mean It
> wrote:
> There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous,
> but day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it
> comes out yummy.

Please do. I need to find reasons to use my pressure cooker.

> Serene, the meat-cooking neophyte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well if it doesn't, just shred it up. Fry it up in some olive oil an garlic
and a touch of lime juice and make some dandy tacos, taquitos, tacos,
burritos, tacos, enchiladas or even tacos.

OK, I like tacos.

Paul

"Say Serene Like You Mean It" > wrote in message
> There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous, but
> day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it comes out
> yummy.
>
> Serene, the meat-cooking neophyte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
> There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous, but
> day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it comes
> out yummy.
>
> Serene, the meat-cooking neophyte

Well how was it?

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
> There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous, but
> day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it comes
> out yummy.

Not just yummy. Incredibly yummy. They're not lying when they say
that pressure-cooking meat makes it taste like you slow-cooked it
for hours (I've never pressure-cooked meat before). It was
falling-apart tender, and my partners and I managed to eat about two
pounds of it among us. The cooked carrots were especially delicious
to me. Next time, twice as many veggies, but here's what I did.

[Note: I used a stovetop pressure-cooker. My understanding is that
the programmable ones take a little longer, and need less water, and
that you can't brown meat in them, so you could skip browning or use
another vessel to do it in.]

Pressure-cooker Pot Roast

3 pounds of so of chuck roast
1 1/2 cups water

Spices:
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon seasoned salt (or regular salt)

Veggies:
4 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
4 medium white potatoes, quartered
2 medium onions, quartered

Heat the pressure-cooker until it's good and hot. Brown the meat
for a couple minutes on each side. Mix together the water and
spices and add to the cooker. Cover and bring to high pressure.

Cook at high pressure for approximately 50 minutes and
quick-release. Remove roast to serving tray and cover with foil to
keep warm (and to keep you from picking at it while you wait for the
veggies), leaving the juices from the roast in the cooker.

Add veggies to the juices and stir, then cover and return cooker to
high pressure. Cook 5-7 minutes, depending on the size of your
potatoes; quick-release pressure.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Say Serene Like You Mean It" > wrote in message
> Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
>> There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous, but
>> day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it comes out
>> yummy.

> Not just yummy. Incredibly yummy. They're not lying when they say that
> pressure-cooking meat makes it taste like you slow-cooked it for hours
> (I've never pressure-cooked meat before). It was falling-apart tender, and
> my partners and I managed to eat about two pounds of it among us. The
> cooked carrots were especially delicious to me. Next time, twice as many
> veggies, but here's what I did.
>
> [Note: I used a stovetop pressure-cooker. My understanding is that the
> programmable ones take a little longer, and need less water, and that you
> can't brown meat in them, so you could skip browning or use another vessel
> to do it in.]
>
> Pressure-cooker Pot Roast
>
> 3 pounds of so of chuck roast
> 1 1/2 cups water
>
> Spices:
> 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
> 1 Tablespoon paprika
> 1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes
> 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (or regular salt)
>
> Veggies:
> 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
> 4 medium white potatoes, quartered
> 2 medium onions, quartered
>
> Heat the pressure-cooker until it's good and hot. Brown the meat for a
> couple minutes on each side. Mix together the water and spices and add to
> the cooker. Cover and bring to high pressure.
>
> Cook at high pressure for approximately 50 minutes and quick-release.
> Remove roast to serving tray and cover with foil to keep warm (and to keep
> you from picking at it while you wait for the veggies), leaving the juices
> from the roast in the cooker.
>
> Add veggies to the juices and stir, then cover and return cooker to high
> pressure. Cook 5-7 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes;
> quick-release pressure.
>
> Serene

Looks like fun. My mum always made better roast beef than me in the oven.
She used to add a little instant coffee for the color & flavor. I like to
use half a beer. Guess where the other half goes? And no bay leaf?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses wrote:

> Looks like fun. My mum always made better roast beef than me in the oven.
> She used to add a little instant coffee for the color & flavor. I like to
> use half a beer. Guess where the other half goes? And no bay leaf?

Was out of bay leaf. And eww, beer. ;-)

Serene (might try the coffee, though. There's always plenty of that
around. Can't live with geeks and avoid it.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:

> Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
> > There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous,
> > but day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if
> > it comes out yummy.

> Not just yummy. Incredibly yummy. They're not lying when they say
> that pressure-cooking meat makes it taste like you slow-cooked it for
> hours (I've never pressure-cooked meat before). It was falling-apart
> tender, and my partners and I managed to eat about two pounds of it
> among us. The cooked carrots were especially delicious to me. Next
> time, twice as many veggies, but here's what I did.
>
> [Note: I used a stovetop pressure-cooker. My understanding is that
> the programmable ones take a little longer, and need less water, and
> that you can't brown meat in them, so you could skip browning or use
> another vessel to do it in.]
>
> Pressure-cooker Pot Roast
>
> 3 pounds of so of chuck roast
> 1 1/2 cups water

You can substitute some beef broth or stock for some of the water. If
using canned, low sodium is better if you reduce the liquid later.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
> Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
>> There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous,
>> but day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it
>> comes out yummy.

> Not just yummy. Incredibly yummy. They're not lying when they say
> that pressure-cooking meat makes it taste like you slow-cooked it
> for hours (I've never pressure-cooked meat before). It was
> falling-apart tender, and my partners and I managed to eat about two
> pounds of it among us. The cooked carrots were especially delicious
> to me. Next time, twice as many veggies

(snippage)
> Serene

Glad you enjoyed it! Chuck roast is the absolute best roast, IMHO.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Glad you enjoyed it! Chuck roast is the absolute best roast, IMHO.

That's what y'all have been saying, so I listened.

Oh, and the leftover roast and potatoes make an *excellent* hash the
next morning, I'm here to tell ya.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 23:42:42 -0700, Say Serene Like You Mean It
> wrote:

>The Joneses wrote:
>
>> Looks like fun. My mum always made better roast beef than me in the oven.
>> She used to add a little instant coffee for the color & flavor. I like to
>> use half a beer. Guess where the other half goes? And no bay leaf?

>Was out of bay leaf. And eww, beer. ;-)

Yeah, a bay leaf or 2, and a tablespoon of tomato paste. Also, if you
can substitute the garlic and onion with fresh, it'll get even better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Glad you enjoyed it! Chuck roast is the absolute best roast, IMHO.

> That's what y'all have been saying, so I listened.
>
> Oh, and the leftover roast and potatoes make an *excellent* hash the
> next morning, I'm here to tell ya.
>
> Serene

Yes indeedy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 27, 2:22�am, Say Serene Like You Mean It
> wrote:
> Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
>
> > There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous, but
> > day-um, does that thing smell good. *I'll post the recipe if it comes
> > out yummy.

> > I've never pressure-cooked meat before. It was falling-apart tender.

That's what folks always claim whenever they've cooked pot roast to
death, as if they actually intended to make Alpo. Falling apart means
way over done... that's not cooking, that's pressure processing gone
awry. Whenever a pot roast can't be sliced as cleanly as oven
roasted it's over done/ruined. Had that been cooked in a regular pot
it could have been tested with a fork for degree of doneness... and
the veggies wouldn't have been the consistancy of Beechnut.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2:22?am, Say Serene Like You Mean It
> > wrote:
>> Say Serene Like You Mean It wrote:
>>
>>> There's a chuck roast in the pressure cooker. I'm a little nervous,
>>> but day-um, does that thing smell good. I'll post the recipe if it
>>> comes out yummy.

>>> I've never pressure-cooked meat before. It was falling-apart tender.

> That's what folks always claim whenever they've cooked pot roast to
> death, as if they actually intended to make Alpo. Falling apart means
> way over done... that's not cooking, that's pressure processing gone
> awry. Whenever a pot roast can't be sliced as cleanly as oven
> roasted it's over done/ruined. Had that been cooked in a regular pot
> it could have been tested with a fork for degree of doneness... and
> the veggies wouldn't have been the consistancy of Beechnut.
>
> Sheldon

I don't agree. Chuck roast isn't like roast beef such as you'd find at a
carving station or thinly sliced for sandwiches. Chuck roast is "stringy",
for lack of a better word, and you should be easily able to cut your serving
into pieces with a fork.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 28, 12:39�am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > On Apr 27, 2:22?am, Say Serene Like You Mean It
> > > wrote:

> > That's what folks always claim whenever they've cooked pot roast to
> > death, as if they actually intended to make Alpo. *Falling apart means
> > way over done... that's not cooking, that's pressure processing gone
> > awry. * Whenever a pot roast can't be sliced as cleanly as oven
> > roasted it's over done/ruined. *Had that been cooked in a regular pot
> > it could have been tested with a fork for degree of doneness... and
> > the veggies wouldn't have been the consistancy of Beechnut.

> > Sheldon

> I don't agree. *Chuck roast isn't like roast beef such as you'd find at a
> carving station or thinly sliced for sandwiches. *Chuck roast is "stringy",
> for lack of a better word, and you should be easily able to cut your serving
> into pieces with a fork.

That's what folks always claim whenever they've cooked pot roast to
death.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 28, 12:51�pm, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:39:46 -0500, "jmcquown"
>

> > wrote:
> >Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Apr 27, 2:22?am, Say Serene Like You Mean It

> >> That's what folks always claim whenever they've cooked pot roast to
> >> death, as if they actually intended to make Alpo. *Falling apart means
> >> way over done... that's not cooking, that's pressure processing gone
> >> awry. * Whenever a pot roast can't be sliced as cleanly as oven
> >> roasted it's over done/ruined. *Had that been cooked in a regular pot
> >> it could have been tested with a fork for degree of doneness... and
> >> the veggies wouldn't have been the consistancy of Beechnut.

> >> Sheldon

> >I don't agree. *Chuck roast isn't like roast beef such as you'd find at a
> >carving station or thinly sliced for sandwiches. *Chuck roast is "stringy",
> >for lack of a better word, and you should be easily able to cut your serving
> >into pieces with a fork.

> IMO, the stringier the better - which means beginning with a "7" bone
> where the bone is as big as possible. *The smaller the 7 bone (right
> down to just cartilage), the more tender the chuck roast will be. *I
> don't want it "tender" and I don't want to slice a chuck roast across
> the grain as if it was an over cooked steak. *I want a pot roast I can
> break apart in big hunks with a fork. *YUM!

That's what folks always claim whenever they've cooked pot roast to
death.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Apr 28, 12:39?am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>> On Apr 27, 2:22?am, Say Serene Like You Mean It

>>> That's what folks always claim whenever they've cooked pot roast to
>>> death, as if they actually intended to make Alpo. Falling apart
>>> means way over done... that's not cooking, that's pressure
>>> processing gone awry. Whenever a pot roast can't be sliced as
>>> cleanly as oven roasted it's over done/ruined. Had that been cooked
>>> in a regular pot it could have been tested with a fork for degree
>>> of doneness... and the veggies wouldn't have been the consistancy
>>> of Beechnut.

>>> Sheldon

>> I don't agree. Chuck roast isn't like roast beef such as you'd find
>> at a carving station or thinly sliced for sandwiches. Chuck roast is
>> "stringy", for lack of a better word, and you should be easily able
>> to cut your serving into pieces with a fork.

> That's what folks always claim whenever they've cooked pot roast to
> death.
>
> Sheldon

Perhaps you just prefer tough, undercooked pot roast.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:

> Perhaps you just prefer tough, undercooked pot roast.

Nope... no reason a pot roast can't be cooked buttery tender yet still
served neatly sliced. Anytime a pot roast is cooked until it falls
apart because all its connective tissue has been dissolved then it is
ruined exactly the same as when the accompanying veggies are ruined
when they are cooked until they are sludge.

A pressure processor can never produce a properly cooked pot roast or
stew simply because there is no way to test for doneness. Braised
meat must be tested by sticking, because braised meat can't be cooked
to temperature as with dry oven roasting... and neither can be
accurately cooked by time except as a very rough guide because no two
pieces of meat are the same. People become conditioned to claiming
that they prefer potted meat cooked till it falls apart into strings
because they are incapable of cooking it properly. Potted meat must
be watched very carefully, much more so than a dry oven roast.
Braizing requires far more cooking skill than any other form of
cooking... you as a soup maven should know that.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps you just prefer tough, undercooked pot roast.

> Nope... no reason a pot roast can't be cooked buttery tender yet still
> served neatly sliced. Anytime a pot roast is cooked until it falls
> apart because all its connective tissue has been dissolved then it is
> ruined exactly the same as when the accompanying veggies are ruined
> when they are cooked until they are sludge.

I don't think this particular cut of meat is supposed to be neatly sliced,
but hey, what do I know? It's the way I've always eaten it.

> A pressure processor can never produce a properly cooked pot roast or
> stew simply because there is no way to test for doneness.

I don't own a pressure cooker and don't ever plan to do so. I figure 30
years of cooking and never needed one, why start now?

> Braised meat must be tested by sticking, because braised meat can't be

cooked
> to temperature as with dry oven roasting... and neither can be
> accurately cooked by time except as a very rough guide because no two
> pieces of meat are the same. People become conditioned to claiming
> that they prefer potted meat cooked till it falls apart into strings
> because they are incapable of cooking it properly. Potted meat must
> be watched very carefully, much more so than a dry oven roast.
> Braizing requires far more cooking skill than any other form of
> cooking... you as a soup maven should know that.
>
> Sheldon

I braise meat all the time; I still like my chuck roast "stringy" In
fact, it's the only cut of beef I want *well done*.

Jill

Chuck Roast Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 45 05-09-2012 01:46 PM
chuck eye roast vs minute roast? Ellen K. Diabetic 96 25-09-2010 11:57 AM
Chuck Roast rosie[_1_] General Cooking 0 06-10-2008 10:12 PM
Roast Shoulder or Chuck Roast Beef magnolia Recipes (moderated) 0 27-12-2004 05:41 AM
Roast Shoulder or Chuck Roast Beef magnolia Recipes (moderated) 0 27-12-2004 05:41 AM