Posted to rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Next?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Top Three Reasons to Eat Pie?

Andy wrote:
> 1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

Boysenberry, Lemon Meringue, and Pecan (any maybe a few others) go
higher on the list than your 3. IMHO, of course.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> 1 Apple
>> 2 Pumpkin
>> 3 Key Lime
>>
>> Next?

> Boysenberry, Lemon Meringue, and Pecan (any maybe a few others) go
> higher on the list than your 3. IMHO, of course.
>
> Bob

Isn't there anybody who likes Banana Cream Pie (sliced bananas in and on
vanilla custard) in a cookie shell and covered with Schlag?

Or

Chocolate pie in a chocolate cookie shell, with a layer of fudge, then a
real chocolate pudding and finally Schlag.

Or Nesselrode Pie

All pies made by a Mrs. Spier, who sold her pies to the best (and less
than best) restaurants in and around New York City. I don't know when
she stopped supplying New York City restaurants, but she is long gone
now. Does anybody remember her and her pies?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:

> Isn't there anybody who likes Banana Cream Pie (sliced bananas in and on
> vanilla custard) in a cookie shell and covered with Schlag?

Cream pies don't really talk to me much, but I do occasionally enjoy a
chocolate-peanut butter pie. Rare though.

My family love pumpkin and apple pies best, in that order. I enjoy
making them too. Nothing beats the day after Thanksgiving, waking up
early and having a nice hot cup of tea with leftover pumpkin and apple
pie for breakfast! Schlag for the pumpkin is a must!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> margaret suran wrote:
>
>> Isn't there anybody who likes Banana Cream Pie (sliced bananas in and
>> on vanilla custard) in a cookie shell and covered with Schlag?
>>

> Cream pies don't really talk to me much, but I do occasionally enjoy a
> chocolate-peanut butter pie. Rare though.
>
> My family love pumpkin and apple pies best, in that order. I enjoy
> making them too. Nothing beats the day after Thanksgiving, waking up
> early and having a nice hot cup of tea with leftover pumpkin and apple
> pie for breakfast! Schlag for the pumpkin is a must!

Schlag is at the top of the Viennese Food Pyramid. In other places
people speak about "our daily bread", in Vienna it is "our (three times)
daily Schlag. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

1.apple
2. pecan
4. french silk (chocolate or vanilla--it's all good)

Lisa aka Pagemaster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran said...

> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>> 1 Apple
>>> 2 Pumpkin
>>> 3 Key Lime
>>>
>>> Next?

>> Boysenberry, Lemon Meringue, and Pecan (any maybe a few others) go
>> higher on the list than your 3. IMHO, of course.
>>
>> Bob

> Isn't there anybody who likes Banana Cream Pie (sliced bananas in and on
> vanilla custard) in a cookie shell and covered with Schlag?
>
> Or
>
> Chocolate pie in a chocolate cookie shell, with a layer of fudge, then a
> real chocolate pudding and finally Schlag.
>
> Or Nesselrode Pie
>
> All pies made by a Mrs. Spier, who sold her pies to the best (and less
> than best) restaurants in and around New York City. I don't know when
> she stopped supplying New York City restaurants, but she is long gone
> now. Does anybody remember her and her pies?

Margaret,

I'm certain I'd like banana cream pie too!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Express! Signs & Banners said...

> 1.apple
> 2. pecan
> 4. french silk (chocolate or vanilla--it's all good)
>
> Lisa aka Pagemaster

Lisa,

You SKIPPED!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > 1 Apple
> > 2 Pumpkin
> > 3 Key Lime
> >
> > Next?

> Boysenberry, Lemon Meringue, and Pecan (any maybe a few others) go
> higher on the list than your 3. IMHO, of course.

Key lime and pecan are my top two (order dependent on phase of the
moon). After that, hmmmmmm. Probably a really good chocolate of some
sort. Good cherry, blueberry, or blackberry pies are hard to argue with
either.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> margaret suran wrote:
>
>> Isn't there anybody who likes Banana Cream Pie (sliced bananas in and
>> on vanilla custard) in a cookie shell and covered with Schlag?

I don't know what schlag is, but so long as the pudding isn't
banana-flavored, then yes, I love that. I like bananas, but not
banana-flavored things, in general.

> Cream pies don't really talk to me much, but I do occasionally enjoy a
> chocolate-peanut butter pie. Rare though.

I love cream pies. And fruit pies. And meat pies. Piiiiiiiie! I
don't like cake, so I always get a birthday pie.

> My family love pumpkin and apple pies best, in that order. I enjoy
> making them too. Nothing beats the day after Thanksgiving, waking up
> early and having a nice hot cup of tea with leftover pumpkin and apple
> pie for breakfast! Schlag for the pumpkin is a must!

My favorite sweet pies would be hard to put in any order, but they
would include the following:

Berry
Apple-berry
Apple-pear
Peach
Apple-cranberry
Pear-cranberry
Sweet-potato
Chocolate silk
Custard
Any pie with custard or cream and fruit
Frozen yogurt pie (trashy recipe follows)
Pecan
Pecan-pumpkin (trashy recipe follows)

Frozen yogurt pie

2 8-oz containers of fruit-on-bottom yogurt, any flavor
1 container of Cool-Whip
1 can of pie filling to match the yogurt (eg, blueberry for
blueberry, etc.)
2 ready-made graham-cracker crusts

Gently mix the first three things together, pour into the pie
shells, freeze until solid.

Café for All Seasons Pecan Pumpkin Pie and Caramel Sauce

1 29-ounce can pumpkin pie mix
1 5-ounce can evaporated mild
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Pillsbury Plus yellow cake mix
with pudding
1/2 pound butter, melted and
cooled slightly
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Line two 9 pie pans with waxed paper. Mix
together the pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, salt and cinnamon. Pour
into pans. Sprinkle cake mix over the top. Distribute chopped
pecans over cake mix and drizzle melted butter over all. Bake one
hour. Chill. Invert and cut into wedges. Thin wedges can be eaten
with the fingers. Large wedges can be served on a plate, topped
with a dollop of whipped cream, and warm caramel sauce drizzled over
the top. This is a delicious alternative to pumpkin pie and
extremely easy to make. Do not be thrown off by the use of the
packaged cake mix.

Caramel Sauce (Two cups)

2 sticks (or one cup) sweet butter
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream

Cut butter into pieces and melt it in a small heavy-bottomed pan.
Stir in the brown sugar and cream. Cook over very low heat,
stirring constantly, until all is melted and blended. Whisking the
sauce helps to bring it together. Serve warm. Refrigerate what is
not used reheat on low heat.

Whipped Cream

2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons vanilla

Whip cream in a medium bowl; add sugar and vanilla any time after
you first start whipping. Whip into soft peaks. Refrigerate till
ready to use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-y the Meanie wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> margaret suran wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't there anybody who likes Banana Cream Pie (sliced bananas in and
>>> on vanilla custard) in a cookie shell and covered with Schlag?

> I don't know what schlag is,

Schlag Sahne= whipped cream. Incredible stuff when done right, as
Margaret knows they do in Austria and Germany.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

1. It was called mince pie the first time I had it, apple, raisin,
dried apricot, pear, brandy and spices. (I don't have the recipe.)

2. Sweet potato- coconut. (I've posted the recipe before and would be
glad to post it again.)

3. Do they have to be sweet pies? Because a meat pie with Middle
Eastern spices in a perfect flaky crust is very, very good.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> 1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

1 Key Lime
2 Pecan
3 Lemon Meringue
4 Apple
5 Pizza
6 Chocolate Pecan
7 Sweet Potato
8 Coconut

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Serene-y the Meanie wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>> I don't know what schlag is,

> Schlag Sahne= whipped cream. Incredible stuff when done right, as
> Margaret knows they do in Austria and Germany.

Thanks!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> 1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

Wrong.....Key Lime, then apple and then lemon meringue....lol..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:25:05 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>1 Apple
>2 Pumpkin
>3 Key Lime
>
>Next?

Pecan
--

modom

http://www.koyote.com/users/modom/home.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"margaret suran" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Isn't there anybody who likes Banana Cream Pie (sliced bananas in and on
> vanilla custard) in a cookie shell and covered with Schlag?
>
> Or
>
> Chocolate pie in a chocolate cookie shell, with a layer of fudge, then a
> real chocolate pudding and finally Schlag.
>
> Or Nesselrode Pie
>
> All pies made by a Mrs. Spier, who sold her pies to the best (and less
> than best) restaurants in and around New York City. I don't know when she
> stopped supplying New York City restaurants, but she is long gone now.
> Does anybody remember her and her pies?

I do! I do! My God, they were pies that knew somebody!

My personal pie nostalgia includes a nesselrode made in the late '40s at the
John Marshall Hotel in Richmond, Va., which my school mates and I gobbled
while waiting to leave for the airport to go home for vacations. Only
schoolgirls would dare eat nesselrode pie before boarding the flying
machines of the day.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Serene-y the Meanie wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>> I don't know what schlag is,

> Schlag Sahne= whipped cream. Incredible stuff when done right, as
> Margaret knows they do in Austria and Germany.

Goomba, you would never hear the word Schlagsahne in Austria, especially
not in Vienna. We had Schlagobers. ) Why do I feel, all of a
sudden, that there really is no such word. Bubba!!!! Help, is there
such a word in German?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>>1. It was called mince pie the first time I had it, apple, raisin,
>>dried apricot, pear, brandy and spices. (I don't have the recipe.)

> Mince or mince meat? It is an old English tradition. It was a Christmas
> treat for us. My mother used to make mince meat tarts and mince meat pies.
> I love the stuff, but it is far to rich to eat all year round.

I don't remember what she called it. I do remember that it didn't
include meat. I also remember that, at the time, I thought it was the
most heavenly concoction I'd ever tasted. I've been attempting
approximations ever since. It was one of those simple things done well.
It must have been:

the best apples and pears, chopped into cubes,
dried fruits, maybe soaked in brandy soften them,
spices, not too much cinamon,
possibly corn starch or other thickener,
put into a wonderful flaky pie pastry, double crust
and baked.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> the best apples and pears, chopped into cubes,
> dried fruits, maybe soaked in brandy soften them,
> spices, not too much cinamon,
> possibly corn starch or other thickener,
> put into a wonderful flaky pie pastry, double crust
> and baked.

Mincemeat used to be a way fo curing meat but these days it has suet in it
instead of meat. It is easy enough to make but it takes a few days of
macerating. Most people just buy a jar of it and most good brands of it
are as good as or better than most home made mincemeat. Cross and
Blackwell makes a good one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> 1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

1. rhubarb
2. chocolate cream
3. pecan
4. pumpkin

(Sorry, couldn't stop at three.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca said...

> 5 Pizza

Give Becca a foil hat!!!

<vbg>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> 1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

I've been pondering, how come cheesecake isn't pie? It's only one filling and
no dough!

Would "cheese pie" be too embarrassing???

That would be my #1 and bump Key Lime off the chart.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

1. French Apple

2. REAL Blueberry pie. ( not just purple goo )

3. Tastycake brand Lemon pie

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:23:48 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>
>> 1 Apple
>> 2 Pumpkin
>> 3 Key Lime
>>
>> Next?

>1 Key Lime
>2 Pecan
>3 Lemon Meringue
>4 Apple
>5 Pizza
>6 Chocolate Pecan
>7 Sweet Potato
>8 Coconut
>
>Becca

Oooh.... Ooooohhhh...."PIZZA PIE !!"

Who's old enough to remember when it was called pizza PIE ???

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> 1 Apple
>> 2 Pumpkin
>> 3 Key Lime
>>
>> Next?

> Next???? No way. I am going to bump your list down a bit.
>
> 1. Sour Cherry
> 2. Rhubarb (not *******ized with Strawberries)
> 3. Peach

I was gonna say rhubarb! With lots of custard!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> Wrong.....Key Lime, then apple and then lemon meringue....lol..

I like the filling to lemon merigue, I just don't care for the meringue
itself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> biig wrote:
>
>> Wrong.....Key Lime, then apple and then lemon meringue....lol..

> I like the filling to lemon merigue, I just don't care for the meringue
> itself.

I don't like lemon or lime pie filling, so y'all can have my shares
of lemon meringue and key lime pies.

Now lemon curd, that's a different story, and around here, if
Charlotte doesn't give you some of hers, you can get some amazing
lemon bars made with the stuff at Bakesale Betty's:

http://www.bakesalebetty.com/

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:

>> Schlag Sahne= whipped cream. Incredible stuff when done right, as
>> Margaret knows they do in Austria and Germany.

> Goomba, you would never hear the word Schlagsahne in Austria, especially
> not in Vienna. We had Schlagobers. ) Why do I feel, all of a
> sudden, that there really is no such word. Bubba!!!! Help, is there
> such a word in German?

Yes, Schlagsahne is German. We almost swam in the stuff it was so good
and plentiful! I presumed the word would have been used in Austria but I
guess not?
http://www.kochatelier.de/kuechentipps/schlagsahne.htm

> Küchentipps
> Schlagsahne
>

> Rezept für
>
> 500 g Schlagsahne
>
> 5 dl Schlagsahne
> 30 g Zucker
>
> Sahne und Schüssel etwa 2 Std. im Kühlschrank kaltstellen, und auf die gleiche Temperatur abkühlen.
> Sahne in der Schüssel mit dem Handrührgerät bei mittlerer Stärke schlagen.
> Beginnt die Sahne zu steigen, nach und nach den Zucker hinzufügen.
> Sobald sie fest ist und am Rührstab eine Vertiefung bildet mit dem Schlagen aufhören, da sonst Butter daraus wird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

- Pecan
- Peanut butter
- French silk
- Key lime

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Andy said...
>
> > 1 Apple
> > 2 Pumpkin
> > 3 Key Lime
> >
> > Next?

> I've been pondering, how come cheesecake isn't pie? It's only one filling and
> no dough!

Same reason a pineapple upside-down cake isn't a pancake ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Andy said...
>>
>> > 1 Apple
>> > 2 Pumpkin
>> > 3 Key Lime
>> >
>> > Next?

>> I've been pondering, how come cheesecake isn't pie? It's only one
>> filling and no dough!

> Same reason a pineapple upside-down cake isn't a pancake ?

It isn't?? <VBG>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> Andy said...
>>
>>> 1 Apple
>>> 2 Pumpkin
>>> 3 Key Lime
>>>
>>> Next?

>> I've been pondering, how come cheesecake isn't pie? It's only one filling and
>> no dough!

> Same reason a pineapple upside-down cake isn't a pancake ?

Moon pies? Whoopie pies?

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> >
> > Andy wrote:
> >>
> >> 1 Apple
> >> 2 Pumpkin
> >> 3 Key Lime
> >>
> >> Next?

> > Next???? No way. I am going to bump your list down a bit.
> >
> > 1. Sour Cherry
> > 2. Rhubarb (not *******ized with Strawberries)
> > 3. Peach

> I was gonna say rhubarb! With lots of custard!

That's good too, but I like just plain rhubarb. I was out working in the
yard yesterday and both of my rhubarb plants are coming along nicely. I
should be enjoying fresh rhubarb pie very soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> 1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

What about lemon meringue and pecan(less) pie?

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> 1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

Oh, and rhubarb and grape pie also!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> 1 Apple
>>> 2 Pumpkin
>>> 3 Key Lime
>>>
>>> Next?

>> Boysenberry, Lemon Meringue, and Pecan (any maybe a few others) go
>> higher on the list than your 3. IMHO, of course.
>>
>> Bob

> Isn't there anybody who likes Banana Cream Pie (sliced bananas in and on
> vanilla custard) in a cookie shell and covered with Schlag?

Sure, but it's much further down the list.

> Or
>
> Chocolate pie in a chocolate cookie shell, with a layer of fudge, then a
> real chocolate pudding and finally Schlag.

As much as I love chocolate, eh, not so much. But don't get
me wrong, I'd eat it if it were served to me.

> Or Nesselrode Pie

Ew!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> 1 Apple
> 2 Pumpkin
> 3 Key Lime
>
> Next?

My list is:
1 Lemon meringue
2 Key Lime
3 Pecanless
4 Rhubarb
5 Concord grape

Not necessarily in that order.

Maybe top 1 reason = lemon meringue/key lime/pecanless/rhubarb/grape

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.
Goldfish: The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.

The Meat-Free Life: Five Reasons to be a Vegetarian and Ten Reasons Against Eating Meat Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 9 25-02-2013 11:30 PM
top 10 reasons not to eat pigs t.racer Vegan 13 23-08-2006 01:00 PM
Own Reasons walker Barbecue 32 24-02-2006 01:16 AM
Two reasons Tech_Fiddle Vegan 20 31-10-2004 11:43 PM
Own Reasons IBSinger Barbecue 18 22-10-2003 04:18 AM