Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Egg drop soup?

Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
- some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
that what I`m missing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lovely EvilOne" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

Add a cup of salt to each bowl of soup, and some snot to thicken the soup.
And, I'm not far from serious, based on the egg drop soup I've had over the
years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lovely EvilOne wrote:

> Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

No, it's MSG. And plenty of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lovely EvilOne wrote:

> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

I use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the chicken broth/stock until
desired texture is reached, then add beaten whole egg(s) into the hot -
but not boiling or bubbling - thickend broth, a spoonful at a time. But
first, I add spices and flavoring to the chicken broth; soy sauce,
grated fresh ginger, sesame oil (very little), rice wine vinegar,
chopped chives or green onions, etc.

Sky

P.S. Yes, I use canned chicken broth (low sodium).

P.P.S. I do not recommend using flour as a thickening agent for this
dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Skyhooks" > wrote in message
> Lovely EvilOne wrote:
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the
>> kind you get
>> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch
>> of recipes
>> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. .
>> The egg drop
>> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the
>> eggs. I
>> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t
>> nearly as
>> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or
>> cornstarch - is
>> that what I`m missing?

> I use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the chicken broth/stock
> until
> desired texture is reached, then add beaten whole egg(s) into
> the hot -
> but not boiling or bubbling - thickend broth, a spoonful at a
> time. But
> first, I add spices and flavoring to the chicken broth; soy
> sauce,
> grated fresh ginger, sesame oil (very little), rice wine
> vinegar,
> chopped chives or green onions, etc.
>
> Sky
>
> P.S. Yes, I use canned chicken broth (low sodium).
>
> P.P.S. I do not recommend using flour as a thickening agent
> for this
> dish.

Escoffier always abhorred the taste of uncooked flour and for
thickening insisted that you should cook it in a roux. In
general, I can't disagree unless you are going to cook the flour
in the liquid for a very long time.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> "Skyhooks" > wrote in message
> >
> > P.P.S. I do not recommend using flour as a thickening agent
> > for this
> > dish.

> Escoffier always abhorred the taste of uncooked flour and for
> thickening insisted that you should cook it in a roux. In
> general, I can't disagree unless you are going to cook the flour
> in the liquid for a very long time.
>
> --
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Yep, I completely agree. I just didn't go there making a roux
because that was a whole different 'chapter' about something else other
than eggdrop soup

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lovely EvilOne wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

I usually use Chinese chicken stock that I make just for these kinds
of soup. I find that the canned, paste, cube or regular stocks have too
many non-Asian flavors and are distracting in soup.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 1:33?pm, (Lovely EvilOne) wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

First you need a Chinese style chicken stock, not available canned,
gotta make your own, or at least try to doctor the canned, with some
fresh ginger root, white pepper, and a big pinch of msg... and
typically canned is too strong, gotta dilute it a bit, and real
Chinese style broths have been clarified and totally defatted. Then
you need to thicken the broth with cornstarch or arrowroot slurry,
needs to be fairly thick as adding the egg will cause it to thin
somewhat. Then add the slightly beaten egg in a thin stream to barely
simmering broth and then stir gently to create the obligatory
individual shreds that make it egg drop (do not boil or shreds will
toughen), helps to pour the egg from considerable height, and through
the tines of the fork held just at the surface of the broth. Once the
shreds are created stop stirring or trhe will break up. Garnish with
a bit of the green part of sliced scallions, and add a few bits of
julienned roast pork if you got it. Serve piping hot with crispy chow
mein noodles on the side.

Sheldon Ahso

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 12, 10:33 am, (Lovely EvilOne) wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

Sheldon's notes are good. For a simpler try with canned broth, start
with low sodium broth and dilute it somewhat--about 1/3 to 1/2 as much
water as broth. Heat it, then taste it. Add salt and white pepper as
necessary. (MSG may help if there isn't already some in the canned
product. It's often hidden under other names in the ingredients list,
which is another thread.) Now make a cornstarch slurry, using equal
proportions cold water and cornstarch. Bring the soup to the simmer
and stir in some slurry. (Start with about 1 tablespoon of slurry for
a quart of soup. Let it cook a minute or two and observe how much it
thickens. Repeat as necessary. You're not after thickening per se,
but rather the creation of a 'mouthfeel' and a glossiness. Beat an
egg or two with a fork. Create a little whirlpool in the simmering
soup, slowly pour in the egg and *wait* while you count to ten. Then
stir gently. Garnish with chopped scallions and serve sesame oil at
the table for individuals to use if they like a few drops. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 12, 1:33?pm, (Lovely EvilOne) wrote:
>> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
>> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
>> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
>> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
>> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
>> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
>> that what I`m missing?

> First you need a Chinese style chicken stock, not available canned,
> gotta make your own, or at least try to doctor the canned, with some
> fresh ginger root, white pepper, and a big pinch of msg... and
> typically canned is too strong, gotta dilute it a bit, and real
> Chinese style broths have been clarified and totally defatted. Then
> you need to thicken the broth with cornstarch or arrowroot slurry,
> needs to be fairly thick as adding the egg will cause it to thin
> somewhat. Then add the slightly beaten egg in a thin stream to barely
> simmering broth and then stir gently to create the obligatory
> individual shreds that make it egg drop (do not boil or shreds will
> toughen), helps to pour the egg from considerable height, and through
> the tines of the fork held just at the surface of the broth. Once the
> shreds are created stop stirring or trhe will break up. Garnish with
> a bit of the green part of sliced scallions, and add a few bits of
> julienned roast pork if you got it. Serve piping hot with crispy chow
> mein noodles on the side.

Good info. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Apr 12, 1:57 pm, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> On Apr 12, 1:33?pm, (Lovely EvilOne) wrote:
>
> > Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> > from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> > - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> > I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> > tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> > good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> > that what I`m missing?

> First you need a Chinese style chicken stock, not available canned,
> gotta make your own, or at least try to doctor the canned, with some
> fresh ginger root, white pepper, and a big pinch of msg... and
> typically canned is too strong, gotta dilute it a bit, and real
> Chinese style broths have been clarified and totally defatted. Then
> you need to thicken the broth with cornstarch or arrowroot slurry,
> needs to be fairly thick as adding the egg will cause it to thin
> somewhat. Then add the slightly beaten egg in a thin stream to barely
> simmering broth and then stir gently to create the obligatory
> individual shreds that make it egg drop (do not boil or shreds will
> toughen), helps to pour the egg from considerable height, and through
> the tines of the fork held just at the surface of the broth. Once the
> shreds are created stop stirring or trhe will break up. Garnish with
> a bit of the green part of sliced scallions, and add a few bits of
> julienned roast pork if you got it. Serve piping hot with crispy chow
> mein noodles on the side.
>
> Sheldon Ahso

Since you are so good at this (Chinese recipe), can you give recipe
for Chineses hot and sour soup, if you have? There has been only one
restaurant where this soup has been so perefctly balaced in tests (to
me). I don't mind however complicated it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:51:41 -0400, "James Silverton"
<not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

>"Skyhooks" > wrote in message
>> Lovely EvilOne wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the
>>> kind you get
>>> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch
>>> of recipes
>>> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. .
>>> The egg drop
>>> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the
>>> eggs. I
>>> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t
>>> nearly as
>>> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or
>>> cornstarch - is
>>> that what I`m missing?

>> I use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the chicken broth/stock
>> until
>> desired texture is reached, then add beaten whole egg(s) into
>> the hot -
>> but not boiling or bubbling - thickend broth, a spoonful at a
>> time. But
>> first, I add spices and flavoring to the chicken broth; soy
>> sauce,
>> grated fresh ginger, sesame oil (very little), rice wine
>> vinegar,
>> chopped chives or green onions, etc.
>>
>> Sky
>>
>> P.S. Yes, I use canned chicken broth (low sodium).
>>
>> P.P.S. I do not recommend using flour as a thickening agent
>> for this
>> dish.

>Escoffier always abhorred the taste of uncooked flour and for
>thickening insisted that you should cook it in a roux. In
>general, I can't disagree unless you are going to cook the flour
>in the liquid for a very long time.

Escoffier was:

1.) French
2.) A snob (see 1)
3.) Fuller of hubris than an American

I don't know where the concept that French cuisine is great started but I'm here to
say I don't buy it.

What can you expect from a country where slugs are considered a delicacy.
************************************************** ************************************************** *
You'll have to try to determine what seems to be missing from your soup. Mine is just
strong broth with a little grated ginger, sesame oil and green onions. Possibly
heretical but I have the soup boiling when I add the eggs.

This might be of interest:

http://chinesefood.about.com/library.../aa090701a.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mm wrote:
> On Apr 12, 1:57 pm, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>> On Apr 12, 1:33?pm, (Lovely EvilOne) wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
>>> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
>>> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
>>> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
>>> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
>>> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
>>> that what I`m missing?

>> First you need a Chinese style chicken stock, not available canned,
>> gotta make your own, or at least try to doctor the canned, with some
>> fresh ginger root, white pepper, and a big pinch of msg... and
>> typically canned is too strong, gotta dilute it a bit, and real
>> Chinese style broths have been clarified and totally defatted. Then
>> you need to thicken the broth with cornstarch or arrowroot slurry,
>> needs to be fairly thick as adding the egg will cause it to thin
>> somewhat. Then add the slightly beaten egg in a thin stream to barely
>> simmering broth and then stir gently to create the obligatory
>> individual shreds that make it egg drop (do not boil or shreds will
>> toughen), helps to pour the egg from considerable height, and through
>> the tines of the fork held just at the surface of the broth. Once the
>> shreds are created stop stirring or trhe will break up. Garnish with
>> a bit of the green part of sliced scallions, and add a few bits of
>> julienned roast pork if you got it. Serve piping hot with crispy chow
>> mein noodles on the side.
>>
>> Sheldon Ahso

> Since you are so good at this (Chinese recipe), can you give recipe
> for Chineses hot and sour soup, if you have? There has been only one
> restaurant where this soup has been so perefctly balaced in tests (to
> me). I don't mind however complicated it is.

Here's how we make it:

Hot and Sour Soup

1/4 cup cloud ears (or wood ears) soaked in enough water to cover for
1/2 hour)
3-4 dried shitakes (soaked separately but the same as above)
4-5 lily buds (soaked separately but the same as above)
1 block tofu, cut into small 1/2 inch cubes
4-5 cups Chinese chicken stock or broth
1/4 cup of pork shreds (can be precooked, leftover roast or even bbq)
1/4 cup shredded bamboo shoots
2 TBS cornstarch in 2 TBS water
2 TBS vinegar (or more)
1 TBS, soy sauce
1 egg, beaten
pinch sugar
1/2 tsp. peper
1/4 cup scallions, minced
dribble of toasted sesame oil

After all the soaking is done, drain water and trim off woody stems or
bud ends from each. Slice or shred them all. Bring chicken stock to
boil. Add soaked ingredients, pork, tofu, bamboo shoots,and bring back
to boil quickly. Add sugar, pepper and vinegar to cornstarch slurry.
Then add slurry and heat till thickened. Taste and see if you need more
vinegar or more salt (soy sauce) Remove from heat. Then pour in beaten
egg, and scallions. Just before serving, dribble a little sesame oil on
top. Serve immediately.

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lovely EvilOne > wrote:

> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

For dan hua tang (egg flower soup) first make the typical Chinese
everyday stock, which, according to Yan-kit So, is usually made with
equal amounts of chicken, lean pork, and bacon (fresh or very lightly
smoked). Originally, abalone was also added, but this is now an
expensive proposition. Cover with water, bring to the boil and skim
until the stock is clear. Partially cover and simmer for 3 hours.
Strain through a sieve.

Starch is often added to the soup, but not always. In case it is, it is
only to achieve a "velvety" texture, not to make the soup significantly
thicker. Most Chinese soups are supposed to be drinkable straight from
the bowl and this one is no different. Light soy sauce is sometimes
added, too. A bit of salt and a pinch of sugar are also added, as well
as spring onions (green part only) cut in fine rings. The beaten egg(s)
can be added after first stirring the soup vigorously to achieve a
vortex and immediately pouring the egg(s) in between slightly open
chopsticks.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Victor Sack) wrote:

> Lovely EvilOne > wrote:
>
> > Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> > from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> > - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> > I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> > tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> > good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> > that what I`m missing?

> For dan hua tang (egg flower soup) first make the typical Chinese
> everyday stock, which, according to Yan-kit So, is usually made with
> equal amounts of chicken, lean pork, and bacon (fresh or very lightly
> smoked). Originally, abalone was also added, but this is now an
> expensive proposition. Cover with water, bring to the boil and skim
> until the stock is clear. Partially cover and simmer for 3 hours.
> Strain through a sieve.
>
> Starch is often added to the soup, but not always. In case it is, it is
> only to achieve a "velvety" texture, not to make the soup significantly
> thicker. Most Chinese soups are supposed to be drinkable straight from
> the bowl and this one is no different. Light soy sauce is sometimes
> added, too. A bit of salt and a pinch of sugar are also added, as well
> as spring onions (green part only) cut in fine rings. The beaten egg(s)
> can be added after first stirring the soup vigorously to achieve a
> vortex and immediately pouring the egg(s) in between slightly open
> chopsticks.

No meat. Just meat broth. I thought the key was toasted sesame oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> I thought the key was toasted sesame oil.

I don't know of any Chinese restaurant soup that contains toasted
sesame oil, not in the US, and I've eaten my way through every
Chinatown in the US, and Canada. And I doubt any of those soups are
eaten in China, I doubt any dishes on a menu of a US Chinese
restaurant is eaten in China, they're all Americanized concoctions.
I'm not so sure the Chinese people use toasted sesame seed oil in
their own cousine.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Apr 13, 6:44 am, Melondy > wrote:
> mm wrote:

> >> First you need a Chinese style chicken stock, not available canned,
> >> gotta make your own, or at least try to doctor the canned, with some
> >> fresh ginger root, white pepper, and a big pinch of msg... and
> >> typically canned is too strong, gotta dilute it a bit, and real
> >> Chinese style broths have been clarified and totally defatted. Then
> >> you need to thicken the broth with cornstarch or arrowroot slurry,
> >> needs to be fairly thick as adding the egg will cause it to thin
> >> somewhat. Then add the slightly beaten egg in a thin stream to barely
> >> simmering broth and then stir gently to create the obligatory
> >> individual shreds that make it egg drop (do not boil or shreds will
> >> toughen), helps to pour the egg from considerable height, and through
> >> the tines of the fork held just at the surface of the broth. Once the
> >> shreds are created stop stirring or trhe will break up. Garnish with
> >> a bit of the green part of sliced scallions, and add a few bits of
> >> julienned roast pork if you got it. Serve piping hot with crispy chow
> >> mein noodles on the side.

> >> Sheldon Ahso

> > Since you are so good at this (Chinese recipe), can you give recipe
> > for Chineses hot and sour soup, if you have? There has been only one
> > restaurant where this soup has been so perefctly balaced in tests (to
> > me). I don't mind however complicated it is.

> Here's how we make it:
>
> Hot and Sour Soup
>
> 1/4 cup cloud ears (or wood ears) soaked in enough water to cover for
> 1/2 hour)
> 3-4 dried shitakes (soaked separately but the same as above)
> 4-5 lily buds (soaked separately but the same as above)
> 1 block tofu, cut into small 1/2 inch cubes
> 4-5 cups Chinese chicken stock or broth
> 1/4 cup of pork shreds (can be precooked, leftover roast or even bbq)
> 1/4 cup shredded bamboo shoots
> 2 TBS cornstarch in 2 TBS water
> 2 TBS vinegar (or more)
> 1 TBS, soy sauce
> 1 egg, beaten
> pinch sugar
> 1/2 tsp. peper
> 1/4 cup scallions, minced
> dribble of toasted sesame oil
>
> After all the soaking is done, drain water and trim off woody stems or
> bud ends from each. Slice or shred them all. Bring chicken stock to
> boil. Add soaked ingredients, pork, tofu, bamboo shoots,and bring back
> to boil quickly. Add sugar, pepper and vinegar to cornstarch slurry.
> Then add slurry and heat till thickened. Taste and see if you need more
> vinegar or more salt (soy sauce) Remove from heat. Then pour in beaten
> egg, and scallions. Just before serving, dribble a little sesame oil on
> top. Serve immediately.
>
> Melondy

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:51:41 -0400, "James Silverton"
<not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

>"Skyhooks" > wrote in message
>> Lovely EvilOne wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the
>>> kind you get
>>> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch
>>> of recipes
>>> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. .
>>> The egg drop
>>> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the
>>> eggs. I
>>> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t
>>> nearly as
>>> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or
>>> cornstarch - is
>>> that what I`m missing?

>> I use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the chicken broth/stock
>> until
>> desired texture is reached, then add beaten whole egg(s) into
>> the hot -
>> but not boiling or bubbling - thickend broth, a spoonful at a
>> time. But
>> first, I add spices and flavoring to the chicken broth; soy
>> sauce,
>> grated fresh ginger, sesame oil (very little), rice wine
>> vinegar,
>> chopped chives or green onions, etc.
>>
>> Sky
>>
>> P.S. Yes, I use canned chicken broth (low sodium).
>>
>> P.P.S. I do not recommend using flour as a thickening agent
>> for this
>> dish.

>Escoffier always abhorred the taste of uncooked flour and for
>thickening insisted that you should cook it in a roux. In
>general, I can't disagree unless you are going to cook the flour
>in the liquid for a very long time.

Escoffier was:

1.) French
2.) A snob (see 1)
3.) Fuller of hubris than an American

I don't know where the concept that French cuisine is great started but I'm here to
say I don't buy it.

What can you expect from a country where slugs are considered a delicacy.
************************************************** ************************************************** *
You'll have to try to determine what seems to be missing from your soup. Mine is just
strong broth with a little grated ginger, sesame oil and green onions. Possibly
heretical but I have the soup boiling when I add the eggs.

This might be of interest:

http://chinesefood.about.com/library.../aa090701a.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Larry LaMere > wrote:

> You'll have to try to determine what seems to be missing from your soup. Mine
> is just
> strong broth with a little grated ginger, sesame oil and green onions.
> Possibly
> heretical but I have the soup boiling when I add the eggs.

Corn starch will give it some thickness. Add a little corn starch to a
little water. Stir until it is suspended. While stirring soup at a low
boil, dump in thickener and stir until soup thickens. It will take a
couple of minutes.

I leave out the ginger.

Make sure the sesame oil is made from *toasted* seeds (it will look
dark). This is the flavor secret, in my mind. Just a little bit makes
all the difference.