Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Morrow the Moron...(WAS:: I am now an official recipe tester! :-)

On Apr 6, 4:46�am, "Vilco" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> >> Have you had some traditional breakfasta, as with "cornetti alla
> >> crema"

> > Please explain this further for the rest of us.....
> >

> Cornetti alla crema, literally translated as "little-horns with custard",
> are the most common brioches/croissants in Italy, a tradition for many of us
> when it's breakfast time.
> Here it is:http://www.gelandia.com/files/images...ceria/gel_F1G_...
> Note that it has no confectioner's sugar on it, but usually one finds them
> with. It also helps to distinguish between the various fillings, at least in
> my area: cornetti with custard usually have some confectioner's sugar over
> them, while cornetti with jam (usually apricot) bear no sugar over it or big
> grained sugar, while empty cornetti's have no sugar over them.
> A cappuccino and a cornetto and you're in Italy
> --
> * Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

Do you have recipe for the cornetii? I remember them from when I
lived in Italy and would love to make some.

Thanks, Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie wrote:

> Do you have recipe for the cornetii? I remember them from when I
> lived in Italy and would love to make some.

Time to put my hands on my home PC and I'll be posting it in a new thread.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:46:09 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>>> Have you had some traditional breakfasta, as with "cornetti alla
>>> crema"

>> Please explain this further for the rest of us.....
>>

>Cornetti alla crema, literally translated as "little-horns with custard",
>are the most common brioches/croissants in Italy, a tradition for many of us
>when it's breakfast time.
>Here it is:
>http://www.gelandia.com/files/images...l_F1G_8780.jpg
>Note that it has no confectioner's sugar on it, but usually one finds them
>with. It also helps to distinguish between the various fillings, at least in
>my area: cornetti with custard usually have some confectioner's sugar over
>them, while cornetti with jam (usually apricot) bear no sugar over it or big
>grained sugar, while empty cornetti's have no sugar over them.
>A cappuccino and a cornetto and you're in Italy

Thanks for filling me in! I thought filled croissants were an
American abomination... but I guess not.

It looks good, I'm not a big sweets and coffee fan for breakfast.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in
:

> sf wrote:
>
>>> Have you had some traditional breakfasta, as with "cornetti alla
>>> crema"

>> Please explain this further for the rest of us.....
>>

> Cornetti alla crema, literally translated as "little-horns with
> custard", are the most common brioches/croissants in Italy, a
> tradition for many of us when it's breakfast time.
> Here it is:
> http://www.gelandia.com/files/images...ceria/gel_F1G_

87
> 80.jpg

A croissant with custard!!!

I'll have to let the local baker know about that one :-)

>Note that it has no confectioner's sugar on it, but usually one
> finds them with. It also helps to distinguish between the various
> fillings, at least in my area: cornetti with custard usually have some
> confectioner's sugar over them, while cornetti with jam (usually
> apricot) bear no sugar over it or big grained sugar, while empty
> cornetti's have no sugar over them. A cappuccino and a cornetto and
> you're in Italy

Here in Oz, we get the croissant, warm them in the oven(if more than a
day old), cut it open, spread with butter and either jam or honey, and
devour with a cup of tea for breakfast :-)

Usually on a Sunday morning, and fresh from the bakery.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
beings having a human experience.

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Do you have recipe for the cornetii? I remember them from when I
> lived in Italy and would love to make some.
>
> Thanks, Rosie

1 package active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (about 110[deg.]) 3/4 cup warm milk (about 110[deg.])

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup gluten flour

2-1/4 cups bread flour

1 cup (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter

1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon milk

Almond or fruit filling (optional)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, sugar,
salt, and gluten flour . Gradually add 2 cups of the bread flour; beat
with a heavy-duty mixer for 5 minutes on high speed (or beat vogorously
by hand for 15 minutes) until dough is elastic and pulls away sides of
bowl in stretchy strands. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm
place until doubled, about 1-1-2 hours.

Srape dough out onto a lightly floured baking sheet; cover with plastic
wrap and refrigerate untol very cold, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cut
butter into 1/8-inch-thich slices and place in a single layer on a
baking sheet covered with waxed paper. Chill until very cold.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour on a cool surface (a board or smooth
counter). Roll out dough to form a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Arrange
butter slices, slight Roll out dough to form a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle.
Arrange butter slices, slightly overlapping, in center third of dough
rectangle (step 1). Fold each extending side over butter and roll out
again (step 2) until rectangle is about 3/8 inch thick. If necessary
while rolling, turn dough over occasionally, flouring the surface
lightly to prevent sticking; use as little flour as possible.

Fold dough in thirds again to make a squarish rectangle (step 3). Roll
and fold dough again the same way. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and
refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.

Two more times, roll and fold dough as directed above, then wrap and
refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.

Roll dough into a rectangle 1/8 inch thick. Cut into triangles about 6
inches at base and 8 inches at sides (step 4). If filling (recipes
follow) is desired, center a 3-inch log of almond filling or 1
tablespoon fruit filling along base of eacg triangle. Roll triangles up
from base to point (step 5) and place, point down, on 2 ungreased 14-by
17-inch baking sheets; croissants should be about 1-1/2 inches apart all
around. Curve ends inward to form a crescent shape. Cover lightly with
plastic wrap and let rise in az warm place until doubled and very puffy,
about 2 hours.

Brush each croissant gently with egg yolk mixture. Bake in a 400[deg.]
oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot, or transfer
to racks and let cool. Makes about 16 croissants.

Almond filling. In a blender or food processor whirl 1/3 cup unblanched
whole almonds until finely ground. Stir in 1/3 cup each all-purpose
flour and powdered sugar. Using food processor or a fork, work in 1/3
cup firm unslated butter and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.

Fill each croissant with 1 tablespoon filling rolled into a 3-inch log.
After brushing croissant with egg yolk mixture, sprinkle with slice
almonds.

Fruit filling. Fill each croissant with 1 tablespoon canned fruit pie
filling (such as apple, cherry, blueberry, or peach). Bake as directed;
if desired, sift powdered sugar over tops while still hot.

The Ultimate Croissant

To make larger, more dramatic-looking croissants, follow preceding
directions, but cut 8 triangles instead of 16. Make the triangles 8
inches at the base and 10 inches on the other two sides (you'll need to
piece together 2 of the croissants).

Continue as directed.

To fill with almond filling, prepare half the filling as directed, using
2-1/2 tablespoon each whole almonds, all-purpose flour, powdered sugar,
and unsalted butter. Use 1/8 teaspoon almond extract.

Serve croissant hot or cool. To reheat, place them on a ungreased baking
sheet (11 by 14 in.) bake, uncovered, in a 325[deg.] oven until warm,
about 10 minutes.

(One of many recipes fround on ........ http://tinyurl.com/yq7gao )