Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Parmesan cheese crisps/crackers

Everyone,

I found this company that makes these crackers or crisps made from baked
grated parmesan cheese. That's it.

Alton Brown did this on one of his cheese episodes of "Good Eats". I've
also found a bunch of different recipes on the web.

My problem is they just don't come out. I've tired a couple different
variations--different oven temps, different brands of cheese, from the
really expensive parmigiano-reggiano, to cheaper Wisconsin parmesan.
They either turn out not crisp enough, or burnt.

Anyone here tried these at home. And how did they turn out? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Les
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 7:09?pm, Lobster Man > wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I found this company that makes these crackers or crisps made from baked
> grated parmesan cheese. That's it.
>
> Alton Brown did this on one of his cheese episodes of "Good Eats". I've
> also found a bunch of different recipes on the web.
>
> My problem is they just don't come out. I've tired a couple different
> variations--different oven temps, different brands of cheese, from the
> really expensive parmigiano-reggiano, to cheaper Wisconsin parmesan.
> They either turn out not crisp enough, or burnt.
>
> Anyone here tried these at home. And how did they turn out? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les

Try using a skillet to cook the cheese in, rather than the oven. That
may do the trick.
Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie wrote:
> On Mar 18, 7:09?pm, Lobster Man > wrote:
>
>>Everyone,
>>
>>I found this company that makes these crackers or crisps made from baked
>>grated parmesan cheese. That's it.
>>
>>Alton Brown did this on one of his cheese episodes of "Good Eats". I've
>>also found a bunch of different recipes on the web.
>>
>>My problem is they just don't come out. I've tired a couple different
>>variations--different oven temps, different brands of cheese, from the
>>really expensive parmigiano-reggiano, to cheaper Wisconsin parmesan.
>>They either turn out not crisp enough, or burnt.
>>
>>Anyone here tried these at home. And how did they turn out? Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Les

> Try using a skillet to cook the cheese in, rather than the oven. That
> may do the trick.
> Rosie

Rosie, Thanks for the thought. I tried my first batch in a cast iron
skillet; they didn't work that great, but the taste was the closest to
the commerical version. I'll try it again.

The biggest problem I have, skillet or oven (on a silicone baking
sheet), is that the cheese just sort of spreads out. I'm thinking maybe
some sort of round form to make the cheese hold it's shape?

I just bought a silicone muffin pan. I'm going to try doing the crackers
in that; maybe confining the cheese to the bottom of the muffin will
take care of the spreading problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lobster Man wrote:
> The biggest problem I have, skillet or oven (on a silicone baking
> sheet), is that the cheese just sort of spreads out. I'm thinking maybe
> some sort of round form to make the cheese hold it's shape?

It's crackers OR crisps. The beauty of the crisps is that they spread
out
into a thin lacy structure of fried or baked cheese. Not really a
cracker at all.

Confining the spread may produce a cracker, I don't know. Maybe you'd
need to add another ingredient to cracker-it-up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote on 19 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Lobster Man wrote:
> > The biggest problem I have, skillet or oven (on a silicone baking
> > sheet), is that the cheese just sort of spreads out. I'm thinking maybe
> > some sort of round form to make the cheese hold it's shape?

> It's crackers OR crisps. The beauty of the crisps is that they spread
> out
> into a thin lacy structure of fried or baked cheese. Not really a
> cracker at all.
>
> Confining the spread may produce a cracker, I don't know. Maybe you'd
> need to add another ingredient to cracker-it-up.

In my mind...Confinning the cheese gives the grease nowhere to go...making
for a gooey mess.

Cheese crisps Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 8 13-10-2011 11:32 PM
Arizona Chile Cheese Crisps Travis & Jenn[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 26-04-2007 02:10 PM
Parmesan crisps, part 2 Lobster Man General Cooking 3 21-03-2007 05:04 PM
REC - Cheese Crisps Little Malice General Cooking 11 03-02-2007 07:53 PM
Parmesan Crackers Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-12-2005 03:01 PM