Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sideways

Remember that movie?

Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
in that area. What else should I look for?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
>want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
>recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
>Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
>in that area. What else should I look for?

I've been many times to Robin's in Cambria; while not a truly
excellent restaurant they are pretty reliable.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote on 12 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> > wrote:
>
> >Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
> >want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
> >recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
> >Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
> >in that area. What else should I look for?

> I've been many times to Robin's in Cambria; while not a truly
> excellent restaurant they are pretty reliable.
>
> Steve

I'd say Southern Ontario...loads of wineries there...nice ice wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

>> I've been many times to Robin's in Cambria; while not a truly
>> excellent restaurant they are pretty reliable.

> I'd say Southern Ontario...loads of wineries there...nice ice wine.

And not only that: looks like Vidal and Concorde can give very good
sparklers, also.
Give me an Inniskillin and you'll see a happy man
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Remember that movie?
>
> Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
> want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
> recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
> Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
> in that area. What else should I look for?

San Luis Obispo county has hundreds of fine wineries, especially around
Paso Robles and Templeton, CA. Many are just a few miles apart and an
easy drive through very pretty country. There are even a few olive oil
places. And they are only one half hour drive to the coast along San
Simeon, Moro Bay, or Pismo Beach.

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 9:56 pm, sf wrote:
> Remember that movie?
>
> Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
> want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
> recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
> Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
> in that area. What else should I look for?
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email

Artichokes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...

> Remember that movie?
>
> Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
> want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
> recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
> Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
> in that area. What else should I look for?
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email

About a gazillion other people also remember the movie you can even take a
"sideways" bus/wine tour. Too touristy for me.

http://www.sanluisobispo.winecountry.../featured.html

You can find some sensational boutique wineries in the Paso Robles areas using
Highway 101 as a base and then making a loop using highway 46 and that area as a
base. They have Great Cab's and Old vine Zin's

If you get into Cambria try the Sow's Ear restaurant or the Moonstone Bar &
grill.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 9:56 pm, sf wrote:
> Remember that movie?
>
> Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
> want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
> recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
> Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
> in that area. What else should I look for?

Are you asking for food or wine recommendations?

You're going to have to go inland to hit the good wineries. Hwy 1
isn't really wine country.

Try the diner/feed store in Templeton for great breakfast including
biscuits, enchiladas, chicken fried steak, oh gosh, you will not be
disappointed. Paso Robles Inn has a good brunch, I've heard. But, I do
not recommend them for dinner. The lamb was precooked and overpriced.
Villa Creek in Paso Robles was an ultimate dining experience a year
ago, now it's blah. I have heard the restaurant at the airport is
quite deelish.

You're in Zin country for reds, and white wine country. You can still
find great cabs and merlots, though. I would rather hit the Paso
Robles area for wine tasting any ol' day over Napa/Sonoma now. It's
just not so crowded. My favorite wineries are Blackstone, Peachy
Canyon, JanKris, Smith and Hook, Eberle, (go east on this road for
some more good ones), I think it's 46.

The wine clubs are really fun to join. If you join, you get a high
discount on the day you join, and they send wine to your home a few
times a year. Many of wineries have special events for their members
throughout the year. Most of these wineries in the Paso Robles area do
not have waiting lists at this time. This is the time to board.

Have fun, post a trip report. Central California is so beautiful. It
is like stepping back in time a little bit. The wineries are taking
over the agribusiness!

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 12, 9:56 pm, sf wrote:
>> Remember that movie?
>>
>> Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
>> want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
>> recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
>> Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
>> in that area. What else should I look for?

> Are you asking for food or wine recommendations?
>
> You're going to have to go inland to hit the good wineries. Hwy 1
> isn't really wine country.
>
> Try the diner/feed store in Templeton for great breakfast including
> biscuits, enchiladas, chicken fried steak, oh gosh, you will not be
> disappointed. Paso Robles Inn has a good brunch, I've heard. But, I do
> not recommend them for dinner. The lamb was precooked and overpriced.
> Villa Creek in Paso Robles was an ultimate dining experience a year
> ago, now it's blah. I have heard the restaurant at the airport is
> quite deelish.
>
> You're in Zin country for reds, and white wine country. You can still
> find great cabs and merlots, though. I would rather hit the Paso
> Robles area for wine tasting any ol' day over Napa/Sonoma now. It's
> just not so crowded. My favorite wineries are Blackstone, Peachy
> Canyon, JanKris, Smith and Hook, Eberle, (go east on this road for
> some more good ones), I think it's 46.

<snip>

> Karen

Yep 46 is the road is choice.

http://www.pasowine.com/wineries/PRW...asting_Map.pdf

Here's a map of the wineries in the area.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Mar 2007 13:39:55 -0700, "Karen" > wrote:

>On Mar 12, 9:56 pm, sf wrote:
>
>Are you asking for food or wine recommendations?

Wineries, not places to eat.

>You're going to have to go inland to hit the good wineries. Hwy 1
>isn't really wine country.

You sure could have fooled me by the number of vineyards I pass by on
Hwy. 1 on the way to Santa Barbara!

>You're in Zin country for reds, and white wine country. You can still
>find great cabs and merlots, though. I would rather hit the Paso
>Robles area for wine tasting any ol' day over Napa/Sonoma now. It's
>just not so crowded. My favorite wineries are Blackstone, Peachy
>Canyon, JanKris, Smith and Hook, Eberle, (go east on this road for
>some more good ones), I think it's 46.

Thanks for the tips. That's what I was looking for!

>The wine clubs are really fun to join. If you join, you get a high
>discount on the day you join, and they send wine to your home a few
>times a year.

I belong to four right now.

>Many of wineries have special events for their members throughout the year.

I know, but I don't attend the events of the wineries I currently
belong to.

>Most of these wineries in the Paso Robles area do
>not have waiting lists at this time. This is the time to board.
>
>Have fun, post a trip report. Central California is so beautiful. It
>is like stepping back in time a little bit. The wineries are taking
>over the agribusiness!

Thanks, it *is* beautiful! DD's BF said they recently did a great
wine tour in the Santa Rita Hills, so he's going to put together a
guide for us.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

merryb wrote:
> On Mar 12, 9:56 pm, sf wrote:
> > Remember that movie?
> >
> > Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
> > want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
> > recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
> > Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
> > in that area. What else should I look for?
> >
> > --
> > See return address to reply by email

> Artichokes

LOL...and Brussels sprouts. I will never forget the first time I
drove down Hwy 1 and saw the acres and acres of farm land adjacent to
the water. Amazing.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 10:21 pm, sf wrote:
> You sure could have fooled me by the number of vineyards I pass by on
> Hwy. 1 on the way to Santa Barbara!

I guess I was thinking hwy 46 and above. Seems like it's hairpin turns
and gut-wrenching cliffs mostly.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 11:48 pm, "-L." > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 9:56 pm, sf wrote:
> > > Remember that movie?

> > > Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
> > > want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
> > > recommendations? I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
> > > Hwy 1). Destination: Santa Barbara. California. I know Sea Smoke is
> > > in that area. What else should I look for?

> > > --
> > > See return address to reply by email

> > Artichokes

> LOL...and Brussels sprouts. I will never forget the first time I
> drove down Hwy 1 and saw the acres and acres of farm land adjacent to
> the water. Amazing.
>
> -L.

We stopped at a little farm stand and bought lots of chokes- they were
super cheap! My husband thought he was in heaven looking out over
those fields!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 13, 10:21 pm, sf wrote:
>> You sure could have fooled me by the number of vineyards I pass by on
>> Hwy. 1 on the way to Santa Barbara!

> I guess I was thinking hwy 46 and above. Seems like it's hairpin turns
> and gut-wrenching cliffs mostly.

> Karen

Nope - 46 from the I-5 to the coast is a delightful road - now freeway but a
very wide 2 to 3 lane road. I drove it last week. Highway 154 the back road
from Santa Barbara to Solvang may be the road you're thinking of.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 13, 9:21 pm, sf wrote:

> Wineries, not places to eat.

Here's a link to a description of wineries on Hwy 46. Found it after
reading this thread, haven't been there myself. -aem
http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/p...ineries-2.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 11:28 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Nope - 46 from the I-5 to the coast is a delightful road - now freeway but a
> very wide 2 to 3 lane road. I drove it last week. Highway 154 the back road
> from Santa Barbara to Solvang may be the road you're thinking of.

I thought we were talking about the Coast Hwy 1?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 11:41�am, "merryb" > wrote:
> On Mar 12, 9:56 pm, sf wrote:
>
> > Remember that movie? *

> > Instead of going North to what we usually think of as wine country, I
> > want to go South and do a mid-coast wine tour..... any
> > recommendations? *I want to say close to the coast (not too far off
> > Hwy 1). *Destination: Santa Barbara. California. *I know Sea Smoke is
> > in that area. *What else should I look for?

> > --
> > See return address to reply by email

> Artichokes

Pea Soup!

http://www.peasoupandersens.net

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Mar 14, 11:28 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> Nope - 46 from the I-5 to the coast is a delightful road - now freeway but a
>> very wide 2 to 3 lane road. I drove it last week. Highway 154 the back road
>> from Santa Barbara to Solvang may be the road you're thinking of.

> I thought we were talking about the Coast Hwy 1?

Highway 1 from San Simeon (Hearst Castle) to Monterey is about 102 miles of a
winding highway cut into mountains jutting up from the Pacific Ocean. It's a
nasty and incredibly beautiful drive that'll take about 3 + hours.

You can wee what it looks like right now http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ Just
click on the webcam in the upper left.

Highway 46 runs from just outside Cambria over to the 101 and then over to I-5
and beyond.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 2:17 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Highway 1 from San Simeon (Hearst Castle) to Monterey is about 102 miles of a
> winding highway cut into mountains jutting up from the Pacific Ocean. It's a
> nasty and incredibly beautiful drive that'll take about 3 + hours.

Right! This is where I said that wineries are few and far between. (on
hwy 1, not 101, north of 46)

> You can wee what it looks like right nowhttp://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ Just
> click on the webcam in the upper left.
>
> Highway 46 runs from just outside Cambria over to the 101 and then over to I-5
> and beyond.

46 is definitely the wine road!

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "Karen" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> On Mar 14, 11:28 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>>> Nope - 46 from the I-5 to the coast is a delightful road - now freeway but a
>>> very wide 2 to 3 lane road. I drove it last week. Highway 154 the back road
>>> from Santa Barbara to Solvang may be the road you're thinking of.

>> I thought we were talking about the Coast Hwy 1?

> Highway 1 from San Simeon (Hearst Castle) to Monterey is about 102 miles of a
> winding highway cut into mountains jutting up from the Pacific Ocean. It's a
> nasty and incredibly beautiful drive that'll take about 3 + hours.
>
> You can wee what it looks like right now http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ Just
> click on the webcam in the upper left.
>
> Highway 46 runs from just outside Cambria over to the 101 and then over to I-5
> and beyond.
>
> Dimitri

Santa Rosa Road is a far more scenic road to take to the coast than 46.
46 is a super highway. Santa Rosa takes you thru some awesome canyons
and creeks and beautiful trees, past some orchards and right into
Cambria. Then a short cruise thru the old pretty part of town and past
some nice restaurants in Cambria before you get to Hwy 1 again and up to
San Simeon and beyond. I lived in Templeton for over 30 years. This area
was my backyard playground.

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Mar 13, 9:21 pm, sf wrote:
>
>> Wineries, not places to eat.

> Here's a link to a description of wineries on Hwy 46. Found it after
> reading this thread, haven't been there myself. -aem
> http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/p...ineries-2.html

Here's a more complete list. The ones from Templeton, Adelaide and Paso
Robles are very good. We loved the wines from Peachy Canyon, Tobin James
and Wild Horse best, but so many are fine wines, especially zins.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melondy wrote:
> aem wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 9:21 pm, sf wrote:
>>
>>> Wineries, not places to eat.

>> Here's a link to a description of wineries on Hwy 46. Found it after
>> reading this thread, haven't been there myself. -aem
>> http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/p...ineries-2.html
>>

> Here's a more complete list. The ones from Templeton, Adelaide and Paso
> Robles are very good. We loved the wines from Peachy Canyon, Tobin James
> and Wild Horse best, but so many are fine wines, especially zins.
>
> Melondy

Duh!

Forgot the link:

http://sanluisobispo.winecountry.com...slistings.html

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melondy" > wrote in message
. net...

<snip>

> Santa Rosa Road is a far more scenic road to take to the coast than 46. 46 is
> a super highway. Santa Rosa takes you thru some awesome canyons and creeks and
> beautiful trees, past some orchards and right into Cambria. Then a short
> cruise thru the old pretty part of town and past some nice restaurants in
> Cambria before you get to Hwy 1 again and up to San Simeon and beyond. I lived
> in Templeton for over 30 years. This area was my backyard playground.
>
> Melondy

If you take Santa Rosa Road into Cambria you'll come to the original location
of Lynn's Olallieberry farm. Great pies & jams.

Here is a picture of the fence that you pull up to park. Taken November 06.

http://i18.tinypic.com/3yg8uao.jpg

(hope it works)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf sf is offline

On Mar 14, 11:28 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Karen" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > On Mar 13, 10:21 pm, sf wrote:
> >> You sure could have fooled me by the number of vineyards I pass by on
> >> Hwy. 1 on the way to Santa Barbara!

> > I guess I was thinking hwy 46 and above. Seems like it's hairpin turns
> > and gut-wrenching cliffs mostly.
> > Karen

> Nope - 46 from the I-5 to the coast is a delightful road - now freeway but a
> very wide 2 to 3 lane road. I drove it last week. Highway 154 the back road
> from Santa Barbara to Solvang may be the road you're thinking of.
>
> Dimitri

I bet she's thinking about Hwy 1 North.... Big Sur. I avoid it at all
costs, it's gut wrenching for me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:23:23 GMT, Melondy >
wrote:

>aem wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 9:21 pm, sf wrote:
>>
>>> Wineries, not places to eat.

>> Here's a link to a description of wineries on Hwy 46. Found it after
>> reading this thread, haven't been there myself. -aem
>> http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/p...ineries-2.html
>>

>Here's a more complete list. The ones from Templeton, Adelaide and Paso
>Robles are very good. We loved the wines from Peachy Canyon, Tobin James
>and Wild Horse best, but so many are fine wines, especially zins.

I hear syrah is the upcoming wine of that region. What do you think?

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:23:23 GMT, Melondy >
> wrote:
>
>> aem wrote:

>>> Here's a link to a description of wineries on Hwy 46. Found it after
>>> reading this thread, haven't been there myself. -aem
>>> http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/p...ineries-2.html
>>>

>> Here's a more complete list. The ones from Templeton, Adelaide and Paso
>> Robles are very good. We loved the wines from Peachy Canyon, Tobin James
>> and Wild Horse best, but so many are fine wines, especially zins.
>>

> I hear syrah is the upcoming wine of that region. What do you think?

All over CA. the syrah grape is doing great. Something really special
happened when a Rhone grape grows in the warm coastal areas. Victor Hugo
has a fabulous Syrah but even better is their Petite Sirah, related but
a bit different. Some friends of ours, just amateur wine makers but real
wine lovers gathered up grapes in the area a few years ago and managed
to make their own syrah that went on to win a gold and a silver medal in
county competitions. When we moved away from the area, we were given a
few bottles 'for the road'. They keep very well, a true fine aging wine.
Now that we live in New York, it's much harder to find nice CA wine,
can't just pop in and taste. But some of the Finger Lakes Wines have
been fun getting acquainted with, though it's hard to now which are
going to store well and which need drinking right away as I don't have
any personal history with this area. SO we're still asking around what
friends like and trying out new wines.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 6:23 am, Melondy > wrote:
> All over CA. the syrah grape is doing great. Something really special
> happened when a Rhone grape grows in the warm coastal areas. Victor Hugo
> has a fabulous Syrah but even better is their Petite Sirah, related but
> a bit different. Some friends of ours, just amateur wine makers but real
> wine lovers gathered up grapes in the area a few years ago and managed
> to make their own syrah that went on to win a gold and a silver medal in
> county competitions. When we moved away from the area, we were given a
> few bottles 'for the road'. They keep very well, a true fine aging wine.
> Now that we live in New York, it's much harder to find nice CA wine,
> can't just pop in and taste. But some of the Finger Lakes Wines have
> been fun getting acquainted with, though it's hard to now which are
> going to store well and which need drinking right away as I don't have
> any personal history with this area. SO we're still asking around what
> friends like and trying out new wines.

I don't know that much about wine but I have heard that the
temperature around there is good for zin. (warmer winter nights, or
hotter summer days, I forget...)

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>aem wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 9:21 pm, sf wrote:
>>
>>> Wineries, not places to eat.

>> Here's a link to a description of wineries on Hwy 46. Found it after
>> reading this thread, haven't been there myself. -aem
>> http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/p...ineries-2.html
>>

>Here's a more complete list. The ones from Templeton, Adelaide and Paso
>Robles are very good. We loved the wines from Peachy Canyon, Tobin James
>and Wild Horse best, but so many are fine wines, especially zins.

I'm so glad someone mentioned the Templeton area. A highly underrated
(or perhaps overlooked is a better word) wine region, IMO.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:
> On Mar 15, 6:23 am, Melondy > wrote:
>> All over CA. the syrah grape is doing great. Something really special
>> happened when a Rhone grape grows in the warm coastal areas. Victor Hugo
>> has a fabulous Syrah but even better is their Petite Sirah, related but
>> a bit different. Some friends of ours, just amateur wine makers but real
>> wine lovers gathered up grapes in the area a few years ago and managed
>> to make their own syrah that went on to win a gold and a silver medal in
>> county competitions. When we moved away from the area, we were given a
>> few bottles 'for the road'. They keep very well, a true fine aging wine.
>> Now that we live in New York, it's much harder to find nice CA wine,
>> can't just pop in and taste. But some of the Finger Lakes Wines have
>> been fun getting acquainted with, though it's hard to now which are
>> going to store well and which need drinking right away as I don't have
>> any personal history with this area. SO we're still asking around what
>> friends like and trying out new wines.

> I don't know that much about wine but I have heard that the
> temperature around there is good for zin. (warmer winter nights, or
> hotter summer days, I forget...)
>
> Karen

The nights almost always cool WAY down. Then the days climb WAY up. It's
not unusual for a 50-60° difference each day thru the summer. The dry
heat and the moister cool nights when the plants grow make for good
growing conditions. There is often fog first thing in the morning from
the coast but it dries off early. And of course rarely does it rain when
you are approaching harvest. SO, no watery grapes.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melondy wrote:

> The nights almost always cool WAY down. Then the days climb WAY up.
> It's not unusual for a 50-60° difference each day thru the summer.
> The dry heat and the moister cool nights when the plants grow make
> for good growing conditions. There is often fog first thing in the
> morning from the coast but it dries off early. And of course rarely
> does it rain when you are approaching harvest. SO, no watery grapes.

And, most of all, big temprature shifts give more polyphenols to wine.
That's the main reason why flatland wines are usually less intense in aroma
and flavor. Hilly regions are the best (think to Piedmont, Napa,
Bordeaux...) just for this: high temperature shifts between day and night.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'