Posted to rec.food.cooking
ap ap is offline

Default pesticides in berries

Hello,
In an attempt to add more berries to our diets, we
have been consuming plant city FL strawberries
and chilean blueberries and buying from local grocers.

I was wondering which of the two is likely to
have least pesticides and if we should be concerned
about this.

We wash the fruits well prior to consuming them, but
wanted to get some feedback.

THANKS!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ap" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
> In an attempt to add more berries to our diets, we
> have been consuming plant city FL strawberries
> and chilean blueberries and buying from local grocers.
>
> I was wondering which of the two is likely to
> have least pesticides and if we should be concerned
> about this.
>
> We wash the fruits well prior to consuming them, but
> wanted to get some feedback.
>
> THANKS!

Strawberries are one of the most heavily poisoned types of produce. They
should be thoroughly washed, preferably by rubbing each berry under running
water, not just rinsing. Blueberries tend to need less treatment. If you're
dealing with local growers, you stand a better chance of actually being able
to contact them and ask if they spray, and with what.

The problem with these chemicals is that it is impossible to test them
correctly for their effect on people. And, some farm chemicals are systemic,
meaning they're designed to be absorbed into the plants. So, washing has no
effect on these types of chemicals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ap wrote:
> Hello,
> In an attempt to add more berries to our diets, we
> have been consuming plant city FL strawberries
> and chilean blueberries and buying from local grocers.
>
> I was wondering which of the two is likely to
> have least pesticides and if we should be concerned
> about this.
>
> We wash the fruits well prior to consuming them, but
> wanted to get some feedback.
>
> THANKS!

Plant City, FL? That's about 20 minutes away from me. I think our
strawberries will be damaged this year (damaged = expensive) from the hard
freezes we've had in the past couple of weeks. It got down to 24 degrees,
which is really unusual. The Plant City Strawberry Festival usually runs in
the middle of March and I haven't heard anything about it yet, so I'm kind
of wondering about the harvest. Meanwhile, I saw a container of
strawberries for $4.99 the other day. Right now they should be about $1.99.
We'll see.

kili