Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default More pesticides, not less. Just great.

http://rt.com/usa/gmo-corn-fails-against-pests-863/

Though biotech companies like Monsanto spent many millions creating and inserting genes that would make corn plants poisonous to the corn rootworm but harmless to other creatures, the pest has begun to develop an immunity.

Though the use of chemical pesticides has always been a source of contention, the advent of corn hybrid plants by biotech companies like Monsanto allowed farmers to cut back on their use. These new hybrids had been specifically designed using genes from a bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), which provided a formidable defense against corn rootworm.

Throughout parts of the midwest, however, farmers are now discovering rootworms that are immune to the genetically modified corn. In parts of Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska, where rootworm has made a comeback, farmers have now returned to using chemical pesticides.

----------------

well, this is just dandy. Not only do we have GMO crops that are pretty much poisonous to the human body, now the pests that the crops were created to resists are immune and the farmers have to revert to more pesticides.

There are better ways to farm. Better, more healthy, and cheaper in the long run since we wouldn't be poisoning the populace. Sustainable farming has to e stronger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-07-10, ImStillMags > wrote:

> well, this is just dandy. Not only do we have GMO crops that are pretty much poisonous to the human body, now the pests that the crops were created to resists are immune and the farmers have to revert to more pesticides.
>
> There are better ways to farm. Better, more healthy, and cheaper in the long run since we wouldn't be poisoning the populace. Sustainable farming has to e stronger.

Was there ever any doubt it would come to this? Scumsanto's aim was
never to create any kind of solution to insect predation. You think
they didn't realize insects would quickly adapt? No, the real reason
was to gain legal control over seed stocks and ultimately, foods in
general. This too shall pass when the other nations rise up and tell
Scumsanto and the US legal system to fsck off.

BTW, the honey bee die-off problem has been identified. It's Bayer
(yes, the aspirin company) and their neo-nicotine insecticides which
deliver a sub-toxic but cumulative dose to insect pollinators. All
the genetic copyrights in the world ain't worth spit if the crop don't
grow cuz the plants can't pollinate.

nb --watching as the human race circles the drain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> nb --watching as the human race circles the drain

All part of the Great Global Tidy Bowl Swirl(tm)...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:53:07 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>http://rt.com/usa/gmo-corn-fails-against-pests-863/
>
>Though biotech companies like Monsanto spent many millions creating and inserting genes that would make corn plants poisonous to the corn rootworm but harmless to other creatures, the pest has begun to develop an immunity.
>
>Though the use of chemical pesticides has always been a source of contention, the advent of corn hybrid plants by biotech companies like Monsanto allowed farmers to cut back on their use. These new hybrids had been specifically designed using genes from a bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), which provided a formidable defense against corn rootworm.
>
>Throughout parts of the midwest, however, farmers are now discovering rootworms that are immune to the genetically modified corn. In parts of Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska, where rootworm has made a comeback, farmers have now returned to using chemical pesticides.
>
>----------------
>
>well, this is just dandy. Not only do we have GMO crops that are pretty much poisonous to the human body, now the pests that the crops were created to resists are immune and the farmers have to revert to more pesticides.

Monsanto and their public relations department (AKA Government) knew
this all along.

>There are better ways to farm. Better, more healthy, and cheaper in the long run since we wouldn't be poisoning the populace. Sustainable farming has to e stronger.

That will require support from consumers, who by and large do not care
about anything other than how cheaply they can buy things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:12:27 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:53:07 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> http://rt.com/usa/gmo-corn-fails-against-pests-863/
>>
>> Though biotech companies like Monsanto spent many millions creating
>> and inserting genes that would make corn plants poisonous to the
>> corn rootworm but harmless to other creatures, the pest has begun
>> to develop an immunity.

>The decline in lactose intolerance has been considered the most recent
>and quickest examples of human Evolution at Work.

Are there any cites out there for this? I know us humans have modified
milk via breeding, a lot of 'lactose intolerant' people can handle A2
type milk just fine (milk from most Jersey and Dexter cattle, for
example).

>But here we are seeing lesser life forms evolve in just a couple
>decades - records time thanks to unnatural genetic manipulation.

They are also starting to realise that evolution can and does operate
much faster than previously thought.

>Obviously Mother Nature is telling us something. Mainly, "Don't ****
>with me."

Humans have iphones glued to both ears. They can't hear her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:53:07 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

[...]
>But here we are seeing lesser life forms evolve in just a couple
>decades - records time thanks to unnatural genetic manipulation.

Not too surprizing that an organism whose generations roll in minutes
might evolve more quickly than one whose generational timing is
decades. Particularly when we supply a lot of pressure for
adaptation. Also not so sure why we would consider them "lesser" they
are older than any vertibrate and, from the looks of it, better able
to adapt to a stressful world. So they are likely to be around when
we are history.

>Obviously Mother Nature is telling us something. Mainly, "Don't ****
>with me."
>
>Chiffon Margarine commercial from the 70's:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLrTPrp-fW8
>
>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:09:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 06:50:18 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:12:27 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>The decline in lactose intolerance has been considered the most recent
>>>and quickest examples of human Evolution at Work.

>> Are there any cites out there for this?

>The first link that comes up is:

Thanks for that, I'll check them out.

><http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/12/27/168144785/an-evolutionary-whodunit-how-did-humans-develop-lactose-tolerance>
>
>Actually, there's a even newer evolutionary event that is being touted
>as occurring more quickly/recently. High altitude adaptation in the
>Himalayas is now considered the quickest human adaptation.
>
><http://www.livescience.com/6663-tibetans-underwent-fastest-evolution-humans.html>
>
>Note that it says that a lot of people must die while evolution
>catches up. Which is obvious, but explains many of Man's
>near-extinctions.

True.