Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weekend survey on the RFC site: On-line food shopping...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 9:22 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Interesting. Early results are fairly evenly mixed. I only order on-
line when there is no other way to purchase something. I'd rather
call a company directly and order over the phone.

Of course, with the latest notices about credit card info theft from
company computers and supermarket checkouts (not to mention atm
machines), I'm beginning to rethink using credit at all.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Only if I can't get it locally. :-)

I finally found local Shiritake but I had to order dried black soybeans
from Eden foods...

The shipping tends to make on line food _expensive_!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"maxine in ri" > wrote:

> On Feb 25, 9:22 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now!
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Interesting. Early results are fairly evenly mixed. I only order on-
> line when there is no other way to purchase something. I'd rather
> call a company directly and order over the phone.
>
> Of course, with the latest notices about credit card info theft from
> company computers and supermarket checkouts (not to mention atm
> machines), I'm beginning to rethink using credit at all.
>
> maxine in ri

More and more websites are accepting paypal. I like that because I have
it taken directly out of checking. I'm trying to permanently eliminate
credit card use at the moment... except for my gas cards, but those get
paid in full every month so there is no interest.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 9:53�am, "maxine in ri" > wrote:
> On Feb 25, 9:22 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > Vote now!
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Interesting. *Early results are fairly evenly mixed. *I only order on-
> line when there is no other way to purchase something. *I'd rather
> call a company directly and order over the phone.

I search on line but whenever possible I phone in my order. I don't
do regular grocery shopping but I do buy certain foods on line,like
nuts, dried fruit, grains, spices, and a few others... but I phone
those orders in, not because of any aversion to placing my info on
line but because I just prefer talking to humans.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> I don't do regular grocery shopping but I do buy certain foods on
> line,like nuts, dried fruit, grains, spices, and a few others... but I
> phone those orders in, not because of any aversion to placing my info on
> line but because I just prefer talking to humans.

When you phone your food orders in, do you still use the terms "ignoranus
WOP douchebag," "25 peso Tijuana burro-humping whore," or "six fingered
southern trash," or do you reserve those for your online transactions?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 12:02�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > Vote now!
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Only if I can't get it locally. :-)
>
> I finally found local Shiritake but I had to order dried black soybeans
> from Eden foods...
>
> The shipping tends to make on line food _expensive_!

No, not at all... most of the site's I patronize offer free shipping
or very low cost shipping... like my 50 pound sacks of buckwheat and
steel cut oats cost me $5 shipping, and that's for both, a 100 lb
order... in fact they'll ship all you order for the same $5. It's the
same with Zenobia nuts, and Sunmaid dried fruits, and others. Even if
I could buy the same products at local stores (can't, not same quality
and at the same low prices) it would still cost me more than $5
driving and my time and effort... the UPS guy brought those heavy
packages right to my door.

I hate when people gripe about the shipping costs, as if they can
drive their cars for free and their time and labor has no value.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan > wrote:

> I use a credit card I dedicate to online purchases only. It has a small
> credit balance and if anyone gets ahold of it, they'll be very
> disappointed.

Same here. Besides, I try to use PayPal whenever possible. That way,
only PayPal has my credit card particulars, not every single company I
deal with.

As to food shopping for myself, I think I have bought something online
only once, namely Tellicherry pepper through eBay.de (not an auction in
this case, just an eBay shop with set prices), since I couldn't find it
anywhere else in Germany. I do sometimes buy some food items online to
send as presents, because it is vastly more convenient and usually not
much more expensive than to pack everything myself and bring it to the
post office.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:52:21 +0100, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>I try to use PayPal whenever possible.

I don't use PayPal, but I've gotten too many phishing emails with
paypal as the come on so I won't take the risk.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Alan > wrote

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:22:29 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> My town has two grocery delivery services. Both use on-line
> ordering and they deliver.

That's what I thought the survey was talking about at first.

> I use this service all the time. Haven't been to a store
> for a long time.

At one time I really could have used that service, but it's
only come into my area in the last couple of years. I like
going to the store, but I can see where people would just like
to go online, Send over this and this and that.

> Other, specialty, items I order from the source, on line.

Once in a blue moon I order some food item online, very rarely,
with the exception of Penzey's, which is my main sourse for herbs
and spices.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Feb 2007 06:53:48 -0800, "maxine in ri" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>On Feb 25, 9:22 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

>Interesting. Early results are fairly evenly mixed. I only order on-
>line when there is no other way to purchase something. I'd rather
>call a company directly and order over the phone.

We have a online bacon source and a rib eye steak source that have
such a phenomenal product that local sources cannot compete. Both are
more expensive, but are soooo worth it!

>Of course, with the latest notices about credit card info theft from
>company computers and supermarket checkouts (not to mention atm
>machines), I'm beginning to rethink using credit at all.

I've never had a problem using my credit card online. Online bill pay,
however, is another story. One major glitch a couple of years ago
burned me for good.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

b00b Terwilliger wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > I don't do regular grocery shopping but I do buy certain foods on
> > line,like nuts, dried fruit, grains, spices, and a few others... but I
> > phone those orders in, not because of any aversion to placing my info on
> > line but because I just prefer talking to humans.

> When you phone your food orders in, do you still use the terms "ignoranus
> WOP douchebag," "25 peso Tijuana burro-humping whore," or "six fingered
> southern trash," or do you reserve those for your online transactions?

Naaaaaw...those terms he reserves for when he calls yer momma, b00b...

;-p

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Greg wrote:

>> When you phone your food orders in, do you still use the terms "ignoranus
>> WOP douchebag," "25 peso Tijuana burro-humping whore," or "six fingered
>> southern trash," or do you reserve those for your online transactions?

> Naaaaaw...those terms he reserves for when he calls yer momma, b00b...
>
> ;-p

The only people who communicate with my mother these days are other dead
people. It is to be hoped that you will be chatting it up with her real
soon, after a painful and humiliating bout with colon cancer.

;-p

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 3:53 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:

> When you phone your food orders in, do you still use the terms "ignoranus
> WOP douchebag," "25 peso Tijuana burro-humping whore," or "six fingered
> southern trash," or do you reserve those for your online transactions?
>
> Bob

SNORT! Somehow I knew that was coming!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I rarely shop for edibles on line or by phone. I hate the waiting for
the UPS guy and thinking about lost orders.

I used to use Penzey's, but prefer to now buy spices and herbs in the
small cellophano packaging.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 9:24 pm, Alan wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:22:29 +0200, Chatty Cathy
>
> > wrote:
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> >Vote now!

> My town has two grocery delivery services. Both use on-line
> ordering and they deliver.
>
> I use this service all the time. Haven't been to a store
> for a long time.

I don't think I'd let anybody else choose my produce or
meat.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Once in a blue moon I order some food item online, very rarely,
> with the exception of Penzey's, which is my main sourse for herbs
> and spices.

I fall under the "rarely" category... I only buy food-stuffs on-line (or
anything else, for that matter) with my credit card if I cannot get them
otherwise... and even then it depends on how much "additional" personal
information they want too. Call me paranoid, if you wish... I don't
want a Paypal account either LOL.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Feb 25, 9:24 pm, Alan wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:22:29 +0200, Chatty Cathy
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>> Vote now!

>> My town has two grocery delivery services. Both use on-line
>> ordering and they deliver.
>>
>> I use this service all the time. Haven't been to a store
>> for a long time.

> I don't think I'd let anybody else choose my produce or
> meat.

Good point, Cindy. I like to "know" what I am buying... However (before
I get yelled at) I can see that in certain circumstances it might be
convenient. e.g. if somebody is ill at home, can't drive or has no
transport, no time, or whatever, it could be a viable option... It's the
payment method that bothers me the most... Credit card fraud is scary
stuff. Now if they had a C.O.D. option - and I mean a real "cash" option
I might consider it I ordered some cleaning chemicals once - they
said they would deliver... when they arrived I offered the person
delivering the goods cash, he looked at me funny and said "I don't have
change. Don't you have a credit card?" See what I mean?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Once in a blue moon I order some food item online, very rarely,
>> with the exception of Penzey's, which is my main sourse for herbs
>> and spices.

> I fall under the "rarely" category... I only buy food-stuffs on-line (or
> anything else, for that matter) with my credit card if I cannot get them
> otherwise... and even then it depends on how much "additional" personal
> information they want too. Call me paranoid, if you wish... I don't want
> a Paypal account either LOL.

I don't worry about credit cards. I just have to keep an eye
on them and make sure to report any fraud right away. There
are protections in place for fraud. Debit cards, not so much, but
I don't use them to shop, you can get into more trouble with those.

Paypal, I wouldn't have hooked up to my checking account on a
bet. I get too many phishing emails about that and it would make
me crazy checking it out Just in case.

I have never had any problem with credit cards. Let's face it,
every time you use it, someone has that information, it's not just
online. You write a check, you're giving out that information.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 8:57�am, Alan wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2007 05:35:12 -0800, "val189"
>
> > wrote:
> >I rarely shop for edibles on line or by phone. *I hate the waiting for
> >the UPS guy and thinking about lost orders.

> >I used to use Penzey's, but prefer to now buy spices and herbs in the
> >small cellophano packaging.

> I understand not wanting to shop on-line or by phone, but I
> have to say I've never had an order lost. * And, most food
> doesn't need to have you right there the second it is
> delivered. . .

If I had to wait at home for deliveries I'd have to be at home all day
every day... wouldn't even be able to go to the bathroom.

There are very few products requiring a signature, usually only very
expensive items like a PC, or you ordered a mink coat... or if
something is marked "keep refrigerated". The shipper has to pay a
hefty fee to the carrier for collecing a signature, which of course
gets transferred to the customer, so very few companies go that route
anymore. And only once did I have a package get "lost", not really
lost... it was the holiday season and the UPS driver delived my
package to a neighbor about a quarter mile down the road... I only
found out because I happened to be outside when the UPS driver arrived
the next day with my package, the neighbor called to tell UPS they
delivered something to the wrong address... had I not been outside and
the driver chose not to say anything I'd not know my New Balance
walking shoes arrived a day later. And yes, I've been buying shoes
mail order for many years, very, very rare that I had to make a return
because they didn't fit... and even then http://www.wissotatrader.com
picked up the shipping... I hate going to the mall for shoes, they
never have my size in the style and color I want so I have to either
*settle* or go home empty footed, a wasted day... with wissota they
have every size in every style in every color at all times, and they
carry sizes you can't get at the brick n' mortar stores... and they
have much better prices. I've been buying my footware from wissota
for more than twenty years.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Feb 2007 13:55:56 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>On Feb 25, 12:02=EF=BF=BDpm, Omelet > wrote:

>> The shipping tends to make on line food _expensive_!

>No, not at all... most of the site's I patronize offer free shipping
>or very low cost shipping... like my 50 pound sacks of buckwheat and
>steel cut oats cost me $5 shipping, and that's for both, a 100 lb
>order... in fact they'll ship all you order for the same $5. It's the
>same with Zenobia nuts, and Sunmaid dried fruits, and others. Even if
>I could buy the same products at local stores (can't, not same quality
>and at the same low prices) it would still cost me more than $5
>driving and my time and effort... the UPS guy brought those heavy
>packages right to my door.

<snip>

From where do you buy your oats/buckwheat? $5 shipping is a great
deal.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 9:42�am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Feb 25, 9:24 pm, Alan wrote:
> >> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:22:29 +0200, Chatty Cathy

> >> My town has two grocery delivery services. *Both use on-line
> >> ordering and they deliver.

> >> I use this service all the time. *Haven't been to a store
> >> for a long time.

> > I don't think I'd let anybody else choose my produce or
> > meat.

> Good point, Cindy. I like to "know" what I am buying... However (before
> I get yelled at) I can see that in certain circumstances it might be
> convenient. e.g. if somebody is ill at home, can't drive or has no
> transport, no time, or whatever, it could be a viable option... It's the
> payment method that bothers me the most... Credit card fraud is scary
> stuff. Now if they had a C.O.D. option - and I mean a real "cash" option
> I might consider it I ordered some cleaning chemicals once - they
> said they would deliver... when they arrived I offered the person
> delivering the goods cash, he looked at me funny and said "I don't have
> change. Don't you have a credit card?" See what I mean?

Using a credit card on line at a secure site is far safer than using a
credit card in person at your neighborhood grocery. Using a credit
card on line is certainly safer than C.O.D. Paying C.O.D is reserved
for buying knock offs/pirated merchandise from street venders... I
mean you know that $5 watch is not a real Rollex

Sheldon Rolex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Chatty Cathy > said:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Aside from Penzey's, I rarely shop for food online. I used to do
Netgrocer, as they had a couple of products (like Quisp) that I
couldn't get locally, but they don't have them anymore. I suppose
that if I lived in a larger town and could shop online and have it
delivered, I might try it, but I kind of like the experience of food
shopping. The sights, the smells, the ideas for dinner...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Using a credit card on line at a secure site is far safer than using a
> credit card in person at your neighborhood grocery. Using a credit
> card on line is certainly safer than C.O.D. Paying C.O.D is reserved
> for buying knock offs/pirated merchandise from street venders... I
> mean you know that $5 watch is not a real Rollex
>
> Sheldon Rolex

But it still keeps the time. ;-)

Sorry, but I just never in to the whole expensive time piece thing.
Seems kinda stupid to me. A waste of money that could be used for other
things (like a Kimber maybe <G>).

The $6.00 "watch it" watches from Wal-mart keep accurate time until the
battery dies and they last a good 2 years or so. By the time the battery
wears down, they are getting ratty looking anyway so I remove the dead
battery and toss the watch into the metal recycling...

Then get another one for $6.00.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Using a credit card on line at a secure site is far safer than using a
> credit card in person at your neighborhood grocery. Using a credit
> card on line is certainly safer than C.O.D. Paying C.O.D is reserved
> for buying knock offs/pirated merchandise from street venders... I
> mean you know that $5 watch is not a real Rollex

I find this a little strange coming from somebody who (claims he)
doesn't use ATM's ...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article om>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>> Using a credit card on line at a secure site is far safer than using
>> a credit card in person at your neighborhood grocery. Using a credit
>> card on line is certainly safer than C.O.D. Paying C.O.D is reserved
>> for buying knock offs/pirated merchandise from street venders... I
>> mean you know that $5 watch is not a real Rollex
>>
>> Sheldon Rolex

> But it still keeps the time. ;-)
>
> Sorry, but I just never in to the whole expensive time piece thing.
> Seems kinda stupid to me. A waste of money that could be used for
> other things (like a Kimber maybe <G>).
>
> The $6.00 "watch it" watches from Wal-mart keep accurate time until
> the battery dies and they last a good 2 years or so. By the time the
> battery wears down, they are getting ratty looking anyway so I remove
> the dead battery and toss the watch into the metal recycling...
>
> Then get another one for $6.00.

I'm with you on this one, Om. I watch movies or TV shows where the man gets
an expensive watch; his eyes light up and it's like the greatest gift in the
world. Just give me something that tells the time for gosh sakes! (Or is
it more of a guy thing because most guys don't wear alot of jewelry?)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> Sorry, but I just never in to the whole expensive time piece thing.
> Seems kinda stupid to me. A waste of money that could be used for other
> things (like a Kimber maybe <G>).

I laugh at myself sometimes for wearing a watch these days since my cellphone
has the date and time on the cover.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article om>,
> > "Sheldon" > wrote:
> >
> >> Using a credit card on line at a secure site is far safer than using
> >> a credit card in person at your neighborhood grocery. Using a credit
> >> card on line is certainly safer than C.O.D. Paying C.O.D is reserved
> >> for buying knock offs/pirated merchandise from street venders... I
> >> mean you know that $5 watch is not a real Rollex
> >>
> >> Sheldon Rolex

> > But it still keeps the time. ;-)
> >
> > Sorry, but I was just never in to the whole expensive time piece thing.
> > Seems kinda stupid to me. A waste of money that could be used for
> > other things (like a Kimber maybe <G>).
> >
> > The $6.00 "watch it" watches from Wal-mart keep accurate time until
> > the battery dies and they last a good 2 years or so. By the time the
> > battery wears down, they are getting ratty looking anyway so I remove
> > the dead battery and toss the watch into the metal recycling...
> >
> > Then get another one for $6.00.

> I'm with you on this one, Om. I watch movies or TV shows where the man gets
> an expensive watch; his eyes light up and it's like the greatest gift in the
> world. Just give me something that tells the time for gosh sakes! (Or is
> it more of a guy thing because most guys don't wear alot of jewelry?)
>
> kili

I just don't get it... :-)

'course I don't go for designer purses either! <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > Sorry, but I just never in to the whole expensive time piece thing.
> > Seems kinda stupid to me. A waste of money that could be used for other
> > things (like a Kimber maybe <G>).

> I laugh at myself sometimes for wearing a watch these days since my cellphone
> has the date and time on the cover.
>
> Andy

Well, it's a little faster to access... :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> But it still keeps the time. ;-)
>>>
>>> Sorry, but I was just never in to the whole expensive time piece
>>> thing. Seems kinda stupid to me. A waste of money that could be
>>> used for other things (like a Kimber maybe <G>).
>>>
>>> The $6.00 "watch it" watches from Wal-mart keep accurate time until
>>> the battery dies and they last a good 2 years or so. By the time the
>>> battery wears down, they are getting ratty looking anyway so I
>>> remove the dead battery and toss the watch into the metal
>>> recycling...
>>>
>>> Then get another one for $6.00.

>> I'm with you on this one, Om. I watch movies or TV shows where the
>> man gets an expensive watch; his eyes light up and it's like the
>> greatest gift in the world. Just give me something that tells the
>> time for gosh sakes! (Or is it more of a guy thing because most
>> guys don't wear alot of jewelry?)
>>
>> kili

> I just don't get it... :-)
>
> 'course I don't go for designer purses either! <G>

My purse is vinyl and cost $10.00. Heck, it holds my make-up, sunglasses,
grocery store cards and I.D. It works for me.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote:

> I don't use PayPal, but I've gotten too many phishing emails with
> paypal as the come on so I won't take the risk.

Look up "non sequitur" (and, no, I don't mean the comic strip).

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 25, 9:24 pm, Alan wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:22:29 +0200, Chatty Cathy
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>> >Vote now!

>> My town has two grocery delivery services. Both use on-line
>> ordering and they deliver.
>>
>> I use this service all the time. Haven't been to a store
>> for a long time.

> I don't think I'd let anybody else choose my produce or
> meat.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Normally I wouldn't either but the cheeses we like are just not available
in this area. So I bought on line and was very pleased although it was
expensive

--
Helen
in

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 7:53 pm, "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Feb 25, 9:24 pm, Alan wrote:
> >> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:22:29 +0200, Chatty Cathy

> >> My town has two grocery delivery services. Both use on-line
> >> ordering and they deliver.

> >> I use this service all the time. Haven't been to a store
> >> for a long time.

> > I don't think I'd let anybody else choose my produce or
> > meat.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> Normally I wouldn't either but the cheeses we like are just not available
> in this area. So I bought on line and was very pleased although it was
> expensive

I will buy some foods online if they're not available locally, but
couldn't imagine doing my regular grocery shopping online.
I'm not a complete luddite, despite the fact that I cling to
/bin/mail.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 26, 7:53 pm, "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> > I don't think I'd let anybody else choose my produce or
>> > meat.

>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> Normally I wouldn't either but the cheeses we like are just not
>> available
>> in this area. So I bought on line and was very pleased although it was
>> expensive

> I will buy some foods online if they're not available locally, but
> couldn't imagine doing my regular grocery shopping online.
> I'm not a complete luddite, despite the fact that I cling to
> /bin/mail.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

that's how I feel too. I like to see what I'm buying.

--
Helen
in
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote:

> I would feel better about the whole thing if PayPal *never* contacted
> anyone ever after people signed up for it.

How do you mean it? PayPal, a bank, sends a confirmation every time one
sends or receives money, or, if the money is a direct person-to-person
transfer, not, say, an eBay transaction, that the person receiving money
from one actually accepted or declined it. That is about all.
Unsolicited communications concern any changes in the conditions of
one's account and very occasional ads/information about PayPal's
services. I receive, I believe, perhaps three or four such unsolicited
communications a year from them.

ObFood: Potato and mushroom gratin.

8-10 potatoes, peeled and sliced very thinly
300-400 g (10.5-14 oz) mushrooms, wild for preference
50-60 g oil or other fat
1-2 onions, finely chopped
2 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon breadcrumbs or grated cheese
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Fry the mushrooms with onions in oil or other fat. Coat the inside of
the gratin dish with some butter and layer the potatoes and the
mushroom-onion mix, starting and ending with a layer of potatoes. Beat
the eggs with milk, salt and pepper and pour them over the top layer.
Sprinkle the breadcrumbs or grated cheese on top and dot with butter.
Bake in the medium-hot oven until crisp and golden on top.

Victor