Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weekend survey on the RFC site: Food allergies

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:16:57 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

One of my partners is allergic to strawberries, but we don't live
together, so it's not a huge issue. Other than that, we have some
sensitivities in the family, but no true food allergies. I'm
sensitive to milk (even lactose-free milk), but I don't obsess about
it -- if there's milk in something and I get a little sick, it's not
my host's problem, it's mine. I've gotten pretty good at guessing
which foods will cause me the most trouble, and I avoid them, but I do
it without making a production of it.

(Then again, I have really strong feelings about not insulting
people's hospitality by making my food issues their problem -- if I
were truly allergic to something (like if it was going to land me in
the hospital), I'd bring it up, but my food choices are no one's
responsibility but my own.)

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

We've never had allergies in the family until a few years ago when I
developed a pretty severe allergy to kiwifruit, complete with hives and
swollen lips.

No, it hasn't stopped me from socializing or enjoying other food.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!

> We've never had allergies in the family until a few years ago when I
> developed a pretty severe allergy to kiwifruit, complete with hives and
> swollen lips.
>
> No, it hasn't stopped me from socializing or enjoying other food.
>
> gloria p

A weird fact about kiwi allergy is it can be linked to latex allergy, any
patient we have with a kiwi allergy is sent for sensitivity testing, as
latex allergy can be fatal as it's in so many things, so be careful!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 6:50 am, "Sarah" > wrote:
> "Puester" > wrote in ...> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> >>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> >> Vote now!

> > We've never had allergies in the family until a few years ago when I
> > developed a pretty severe allergy to kiwifruit, complete with hives and
> > swollen lips.

> > No, it hasn't stopped me from socializing or enjoying other food.

> > gloria pA

weird fact about kiwi allergy is it can be linked to latex allergy,
any
> patient we have with a kiwi allergy is sent for sensitivity testing, as
> latex allergy can be fatal as it's in so many things, so be careful!

Isn't is also common that the allergy is actually to the skin and not
to the fruit itself?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:16:57 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

DH is deathly allergic to shellfish and crustaceans... one time he had
a major reaction because they'd been frying a ton of seafood in the
same vat as the frenchfries... but it doesn't stop us from eating out
- we just don't go to Seafood restaurants, Japanese or Thai places
(shame, because I love Thai food, but he had a bad reaction to fish
sauce and it's ubiquitous.) The major limitation it puts on us is that
I won't order any kind of seafood dish in case it has something he's
allergic to in it. I'm longing to go to yum-cha, but I don't really
want to risk the seafood exposure from the 'mystery dishes' they tend
to serve...

I'm lactose-intolerant but that's not a major problem, so unless you
invited me to Joe's House of Dairy it wouldn't keep me away (and if
you told me they had worldclass icecream I'd go anyway and just suffer
at home later...)

So the short answer is no, it won't stop us going out to eat, but it
might make us think twice about WHERE to go...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

I am allergic to mango.

Tori

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

My SIL has many allergies, She has to stay Gluten free, Dairy or
casein-free (She does alright with butter and romano-sheep's milk
cheese) I cook for her quite often and we go out to eat together. She
doesn't have to stay physically out of the same area as these foods but
does have to be careful choosing from the menu.Salads are usually okay
safe choices, especially if you ask about any breading of ingredients.
Or if she finds something she doesn't want to eat, it's easily removed.
At times there has been something hidden and she pays for it the next
day in swellings or tiredness. But I'm amazed at how well she can do.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tori M" > wrote in message
et...

> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!

> I am allergic to mango.
>
> Tori

I should have added that I dont really have to avoid it as I dont see a lot
of mango dishes served. Also it is a "new" allergy so I have not learned to
live with it as of yet. Lol.. I went to expand my horrizons and came out of
it with a mango allergy of all the goofy things.

Tori

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

DS is allergic to peanuts, walnuts and cashews that we know about.
It's weird because his Birthmom has no known allergies. We do let
people know before we come over so that they can put nuts up to adult
level if they are serving them, or we inquire at the door so that we
know where they are to avoid them. Everybody has been incredibly cool
about it.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now!
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> DS is allergic to peanuts, walnuts and cashews that we know about.
> It's weird because his Birthmom has no known allergies. We do let
> people know before we come over so that they can put nuts up to adult
> level if they are serving them, or we inquire at the door so that we
> know where they are to avoid them. Everybody has been incredibly cool
> about it.
>
> -L.

You've got to be really careful about going out to eat then, don't you? I
have a dear friend who's daughter is so severely allergic to peanuts, that
they can't go out because lots of fried food is fried in peanut oil. They
pretty much always eat at home. How severe is your son's allergy?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L.wrote:

> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now!
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> DS is allergic to peanuts, walnuts and cashews that we know about.
> It's weird because his Birthmom has no known allergies. We do let
> people know before we come over so that they can put nuts up to adult
> level if they are serving them, or we inquire at the door so that we
> know where they are to avoid them. Everybody has been incredibly cool
> about it.

Utter nonsense, you probably just cooked up this phony "allergy" so you
could get fake sympathy on newsgroups...in any case you are so neurotic that
I wouldn't put it past to you be one of those "Munchhausen - by - proxy"
moos...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
link.net...

> -L.wrote:
>
>> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>> >
>> > Vote now!
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> > Chatty Cathy

>> DS is allergic to peanuts, walnuts and cashews that we know about.
>> It's weird because his Birthmom has no known allergies. We do let
>> people know before we come over so that they can put nuts up to adult
>> level if they are serving them, or we inquire at the door so that we
>> know where they are to avoid them. Everybody has been incredibly cool
>> about it.

> Utter nonsense, you probably just cooked up this phony "allergy" so you
> could get fake sympathy on newsgroups...in any case you are so neurotic
> that
> I wouldn't put it past to you be one of those "Munchhausen - by - proxy"
> moos...

yawn

Big surprise, Greggie saying anything vicious that comes to mind about ...
whoever.

You're just a nasty old woman, Greg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberCRAP puked:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in s.earthlink.net...
>
> > -L.wrote:

> >> DS is allergic to peanuts, walnuts and cashews that we know about.
> >> It's weird because his Birthmom has no known allergies. We do let
> >> people know before we come over so that they can put nuts up to adult
> >> level if they are serving them, or we inquire at the door so that we
> >> know where they are to avoid them. Everybody has been incredibly cool
> >> about it.

> > Utter nonsense, you probably just cooked up this phony "allergy" so you
> > could get fake sympathy on newsgroups...in any case you are so neurotic
> > that
> > I wouldn't put it past to you be one of those "Munchhausen - by - proxy"
> > moos...yawn

> Big surprise, Greggie saying anything vicious that comes to mind about ...
> whoever.
>
> You're just a nasty old woman, Greg.

Somebody needs to clean out yer litterbox, cyperPOOP...you stink - BIG
TIME...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

kilikini wrote:
> You've got to be really careful about going out to eat then, don't you? I
> have a dear friend who's daughter is so severely allergic to peanuts, that
> they can't go out because lots of fried food is fried in peanut oil. They
> pretty much always eat at home. How severe is your son's allergy?

His allergy isn't too severe that we know about, but we haven't
challenged him in over a year (and that was an accident!) and we don't
plan to challenge him anytime soon. He's too young to be tested to
know for sure. (He just turned 3.) We think the cashew allergy may
have been due to the cashews being roasted in peanut oil but we don't
know for sure. We avoid nut oils but haven't had to avoid things
processed in plants that process nuts. We generally don't eat out.
We do order pizza in, but it's veg and is safe. He's a good eater so
it's a pleasure to cook for him. The biggest problem we have had was
an airline serving us nuts when I had specifically called in advance
to see if they served nuts and they said no. (This was first class and
they set a bowl of nuts down in front of us. I freaked!) Had we
known there'd be nuts on the plane we would have chosen another
airline. He broke out in hives, I gave him Benedryl and that was the
extent of the reaction. Needless to say, I was not too happy.

We will get him tested as soon as we can. It's possible he will "grow
out of it" and I am hoping he does as no nuts in the house has been a
real bummer. I love me some cashews!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Serene wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:16:57 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> One of my partners is allergic to strawberries, but we don't live
> together, so it's not a huge issue.

One of my partners? Oooh you lucky girl! ;D

Strawberry allergy would be a major bummer. I'm not sure I could deal
with that.

>Other than that, we have some
> sensitivities in the family, but no true food allergies. I'm
> sensitive to milk (even lactose-free milk), but I don't obsess about
> it -- if there's milk in something and I get a little sick, it's not
> my host's problem, it's mine. I've gotten pretty good at guessing
> which foods will cause me the most trouble, and I avoid them, but I do
> it without making a production of it.
>
> (Then again, I have really strong feelings about not insulting
> people's hospitality by making my food issues their problem -- if I
> were truly allergic to something (like if it was going to land me in
> the hospital), I'd bring it up, but my food choices are no one's
> responsibility but my own.)

I agree. We try to let people know just so we don't have any
incidents (DS is only 3) but I take full responsibility for protecting
him from his allergens.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Chatty Cathy > said:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!

Since childhood, I've been allergic to tomatoes, oranges (all
citrus fruits, actually), strawberries, and chocolate. I also
have an unpleasant reaction to walnuts in that they make my tongue
feel cracked and swollen. Luckily, the walnut one is the worst; the
others are mild allergies and I only get a reaction (hives) if I
really eat a lot of that thing (2-3 oranges at a time, etc.). So
it doesn't really affect dining out, thankfully...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jan 2007 23:12:05 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:16:57 +0200, Chatty Cathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>> One of my partners is allergic to strawberries, but we don't live
>> together, so it's not a huge issue.

>One of my partners? Oooh you lucky girl! ;D

I am *extremely* lucky. This month is full of reminders of how lucky,
since it's anniversary month. Having three anniversaries in one month
is really a big perk of being a hippy freak. ;-)

>Strawberry allergy would be a major bummer. I'm not sure I could deal
>with that.

Fortunately, Guy doesn't really like strawberries very much anyway.
:-)

>>Other than that, we have some
>> sensitivities in the family, but no true food allergies. I'm
>> sensitive to milk (even lactose-free milk), but I don't obsess about
>> it -- if there's milk in something and I get a little sick, it's not
>> my host's problem, it's mine. I've gotten pretty good at guessing
>> which foods will cause me the most trouble, and I avoid them, but I do
>> it without making a production of it.
>>
>> (Then again, I have really strong feelings about not insulting
>> people's hospitality by making my food issues their problem -- if I
>> were truly allergic to something (like if it was going to land me in
>> the hospital), I'd bring it up, but my food choices are no one's
>> responsibility but my own.)

>I agree. We try to let people know just so we don't have any
>incidents (DS is only 3) but I take full responsibility for protecting
>him from his allergens.

Yeah, but I think any reasonable host is going to be MORE than happy
to help you make sure your little one doesn't get sick. True
allergies are a different story from food sensitivities -- I don't
think it's unreasonable to point them out to one's host and ask for
help in accommodating them. I wouldn't do that with my food
preferences, because they change often enough that I don't expect even
my partners to keep up with them. ("Are you vegan this week?" is a
common question in our household, and a reasonable one.)

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 27, 4:16 pm, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Even when our daughter was little her allergy to dairy products didn't
keep us away from restaurants or relatives' houses for the occasional
meal.

At friends' and relatives' homes nobody minded if I said "Oh, before
you mash the potatoes, could I just set a few pieces aside for N. and
a few vegetables before you put sauce or butter on them please." In
restaurants it was usually a matter of sticking with plain food and
asking questions.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> You've got to be really careful about going out to eat then, don't
>> you? I have a dear friend who's daughter is so severely allergic to
>> peanuts, that they can't go out because lots of fried food is fried
>> in peanut oil. They pretty much always eat at home. How severe is
>> your son's allergy?

> His allergy isn't too severe that we know about, but we haven't
> challenged him in over a year (and that was an accident!) and we don't
> plan to challenge him anytime soon. He's too young to be tested to
> know for sure. (He just turned 3.) We think the cashew allergy may
> have been due to the cashews being roasted in peanut oil but we don't
> know for sure. We avoid nut oils but haven't had to avoid things
> processed in plants that process nuts. We generally don't eat out.
> We do order pizza in, but it's veg and is safe. He's a good eater so
> it's a pleasure to cook for him. The biggest problem we have had was
> an airline serving us nuts when I had specifically called in advance
> to see if they served nuts and they said no. (This was first class and
> they set a bowl of nuts down in front of us. I freaked!) Had we
> known there'd be nuts on the plane we would have chosen another
> airline. He broke out in hives, I gave him Benedryl and that was the
> extent of the reaction. Needless to say, I was not too happy.
>
> We will get him tested as soon as we can. It's possible he will "grow
> out of it" and I am hoping he does as no nuts in the house has been a
> real bummer. I love me some cashews!
>
> -L.

Good luck, sweetie! I hope he grows out of it, too. What a bummer for you
and him.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Fortunately, Guy doesn't really like strawberries very much anyway.
> :-)
>
> >>Other than that, we have some
> >> sensitivities in the family,

I was desperate for money one summer. I sold my blood. Once was
enough. I picked strawberries once. I made about US$.50. That wasn't
going to work. I took a dislike to strawberries for several years. I
found a job. They weren't happy with me. I worked too hard. They told
me to slow down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 11:49 am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,

> found a job. They weren't happy with me. I worked too hard. They told
> me to slow down.

"Take a break. You don't want to work yourself out of a job."

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've had an allergy to certain nuts my entire life. Found out when I was
4 at the Thanksgiving Table, when they rushed me to the Hospital.

I'm now 52, and in my case, the severity never lessened as the years
went by.

In my case, I think I'm sort of odd, in that I absolutely cannot eat
Peanuts, Cashews, or Brazil Nuts, but yet can eat Pecans, Walnuts,
Hazelnuts, Pistachio, Almonds, Macadamia.

I have the most severe reaction to Brazil, yet I'm not so hypersensitive
that I get a reaction of somebody is eating them next to me. I do get a
bit queasy though when I smell them. I will react with Hives though
just with the touch of a Brazil Nut Shell, and then touch my face.

With Brazils, within 3-4 hours, I'm a dead man without an injection of
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)

Last mishap was about 10 years ago, eating a Birthday Cake, where I
spent the following 8 hours in a Hospital Emergency room. I had
remnants of that reaction a full week later, with Puffy swollen Eyes,
and face.

My tongue swells up, cannot swallow, severe itching/hives where I'll
literally claw myself till I bleed, eyes swell shut, labored breathing,
and very severe overall discomfort. Hives on my entire body when
ingesting.

I always have to ask about cookies, cakes, pastries, and always check
questionable candy bars first.

I've been fooled over the years with a few candy bars like Zero,
$100,000, and the like which at one time in thier history used Pecans,
and then either switched to Cashews, or some other nut that I was
allergic to. Mark