Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-01-22) New survey on the RFC site: Buying kitchen stuff on-line

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

The thread about GIANT potato mashers "inspired" this survey. Thanks
Julie
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> The thread about GIANT potato mashers "inspired" this survey.
> Thanks Julie

W00T! Wizard's bonnet please.

BTW: I started out as a Peapod customer but quickly converted over
as a Webvan faithful; loved that service unto its demise. Webvan
had the finest produce, meats and seafood... All with Reasonable
Prices... And _delivered_ into my kitchen for free!

Safeway isn't as reasonably priced and won't stick around beyond a
signature. The stuff picked was fine but no one does me the favor
of taking my money. I'll throw it at you if you give me what I
want.

Domestications has been the one on-line business I was
disappointed using. Other on-line retailers have given me what I
ordered. <shrug> I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> The thread about GIANT potato mashers "inspired" this survey.
>> Thanks Julie

> W00T! Wizard's bonnet please.

It's yours...

> BTW: I started out as a Peapod customer but quickly converted over
> as a Webvan faithful; loved that service unto its demise. Webvan
> had the finest produce, meats and seafood... All with Reasonable
> Prices... And _delivered_ into my kitchen for free!
>
> Safeway isn't as reasonably priced and won't stick around beyond a
> signature. The stuff picked was fine but no one does me the favor
> of taking my money. I'll throw it at you if you give me what I
> want.
>
> Domestications has been the one on-line business I was
> disappointed using. Other on-line retailers have given me what I
> ordered. <shrug> I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but
I like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
paying for something. Just me, of course.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> The thread about GIANT potato mashers "inspired" this survey. Thanks
>> Julie

> W00T! Wizard's bonnet please.
>
> BTW: I started out as a Peapod customer but quickly converted over as a
> Webvan faithful; loved that service unto its demise. Webvan had the finest
> produce, meats and seafood... All with Reasonable Prices... And
> _delivered_ into my kitchen for free!
>
> Safeway isn't as reasonably priced and won't stick around beyond a
> signature. The stuff picked was fine but no one does me the favor of
> taking my money. I'll throw it at you if you give me what I want.
>
> Domestications has been the one on-line business I was disappointed using.
> Other on-line retailers have given me what I ordered. <shrug> I guess I'm
> lucky in that respect.
>
> The Ranger

I guess there are two underlying questions about buying food online. There
is buying a group of groceries, or a lot of one thing. I tend to buy a
number of one item.

In the last couple of weeks, I have ordered separately 6 jars of honey that
I cannot buy anywhere. Probably about $80+
I have bought flour 50# abt. $45+ that I could not get elsewhere
I have bought 1 case of freezedried blueberries abt. $160+ that I could not
get elsewhere
I have bought cod-liver-oil abt $25 instead of $32 (after shipping)
I have bought 5# of coffee online - perhaps $50+
Ecover products 11 products +40 - couldn't get elsewhere

Regarding kitchen appliances in the last month (or so)

I have bought Bodum double wall glasses, reidel wine glasses and drinking
glasses that I have not been able to get elsewhere.
I have bought cookbooks that are not available locally for a good price
A Cuisinart ss 14-inch fry pan
Set of 3 off-size ss measuring cups
Maybe some others things, I can't remember.

Generally speaking, I don't even worry much about shopping anywhere else.
If the stores can't satisfy, I don't buy.

One can get a bargain or not. I bought 8 of one thing at $.99 at Linen n'
Things, but at Fantes, the same thing is $2.99 each.
You gotta watch it!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> The thread about GIANT potato mashers "inspired" this survey. Thanks
>>> Julie

>> W00T! Wizard's bonnet please.

> It's yours...
>>
>> BTW: I started out as a Peapod customer but quickly converted over as a
>> Webvan faithful; loved that service unto its demise. Webvan had the
>> finest produce, meats and seafood... All with Reasonable Prices... And
>> _delivered_ into my kitchen for free!
>>
>> Safeway isn't as reasonably priced and won't stick around beyond a
>> signature. The stuff picked was fine but no one does me the favor of
>> taking my money. I'll throw it at you if you give me what I want.
>>
>> Domestications has been the one on-line business I was disappointed
>> using. Other on-line retailers have given me what I ordered. <shrug> I
>> guess I'm lucky in that respect.

> I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but I
> like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
> paying for something. Just me, of course.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I've said befo
"Around these parts" you wouldn't be getting much choice. My cupboard would
be bare.

Right now I'm searching for a bagel slicer; haven't done my homework yet
online. But I'll bet that maybe Penny's, Kohl's, Linen's & Things will all
have one model and there will be no way that I would get to touch the many
others available. 'Seeing a picture' online online is certainly not a plus,
but it is better than walking in and buying the only thing available to me;
that's what it is in most cases.

Actually I'm sick of walking in a store and seeing the same ole' cake pans,
mixers and coffee pots -- totally uninspiring. They are all copycats.
These particular brands must get a deal (or some incentive) from the
merchandisers to carry these same products ad nauseum.

If my online purchase choice doesn't work out, then ... I may be
disappointed, but I'll go from there.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote on Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:53:46 -0500:

DD> Actually I'm sick of walking in a store and seeing the
same
DD> ole' cake pans, mixers and coffee pots -- totally
DD> uninspiring. They are all copycats. These particular
DD> brands must get a deal (or some incentive) from the
DD> merchandisers to carry these same products ad nauseum.

As you say, choice has become very limited, not just for kitchen
equipment. At one time you could see different selections of
paperback books in different stores. Now, since Crown Books put
a lot of independent book stores around here out of business
and then went out of business themselves because of family
infighting, the choice is meager. I know you can go to Barnes
and Noble or Borders but that requires a minor trip.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> The thread about GIANT potato mashers "inspired" this survey. Thanks
> Julie

Fun survey I've bought kitchen items online without any problem 98% of
the time. (I always check the return policy closely before I place an
order, though, and call and talk with someone to confirm what I've read.)

I also check the shipping prices. I'm willing to pay minimal shipping but
some web sites have what you'd pay twice or three times (gas prices and
time) if you took 20 minutes to pick it up yourself. In that case I'll pick
it up myself.

I simply don't enjoy shopping; it's a chore. Online ordering is great, but
again, only if you know the return policy, shipping prices, etc. I don't
know what websites or catalogs ship to Cathy but I can't imagine it's cheap
to get it to S.A. or to return it if it's not what you expected.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

>> I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but

>> like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
>> paying for something. Just me, of course.

On-line pricing can be great. www.Fantes.com for instance, but I can drive
into Philly and experience it when I want something. Too bad so many of
their products are made in China.

One thing that I fussed over was to replace my old toaster. I had to get an
outlet at the Target in the kitchen appliance department and plugged in a
handful before I liked the equal brilliance of the heating elements and
could tell it would be able to toast wide loaf bread slices without getting
stuck on the way down.

If I'm not in a hurry AND if an on-line store also has a local brick and
mortar version and will accept exchanges AND the product has a good
reputation to begin with, I'll buy on-line.

Who doesn't love seeing a box waiting for them on the welcome mat?

Remember when Amazon.com only sold books and THAT was genius?

Andy

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail|@webtv|@aol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<q> wrote in message ...
> Dee.Dee said...
>
>>> I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but

>>> like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
>>> paying for something. Just me, of course.

> On-line pricing can be great. www.Fantes.com for instance, but I can drive
> into Philly and experience it when I want something. Too bad so many of
> their products are made in China.

Yes, it is too bad so many products (and everywhere here) are made in China.
I will always pay an extra price for a French or Italian made product. As
well as Taiwan and Brazil.

But one thing good about Fantes is that they do tell you much of the time
where it is made.
I appreciate this.

Dee Dee
who would love to shop at Fantes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

> <q> wrote in message ...
>> Dee.Dee said...

>> On-line pricing can be great. www.Fantes.com for instance, but I can
>> drive into Philly and experience it when I want something. Too bad so
>> many of their products are made in China.

> Yes, it is too bad so many products (and everywhere here) are made in
> China. I will always pay an extra price for a French or Italian made
> product. As well as Taiwan and Brazil.
>
> But one thing good about Fantes is that they do tell you much of the
> time where it is made.
> I appreciate this.
>
> Dee Dee
> who would love to shop at Fantes

Ask any employee where the "oddball-est" (??) thing is and they'll walk you
straight to it. I think it's run by witches and warlocks.

I love the place. And in the middle of the Italian Market?

I'd love to show you around. It is THE treat for all the senses.

Andy

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail|@webtv|@aol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<q> wrote in message ...
>> Dee Dee
>> who would love to shop at Fantes

> Ask any employee where the "oddball-est" (??) thing is and they'll walk
> you
> straight to it. I think it's run by witches and warlocks.
>
> I love the place. And in the middle of the Italian Market?
>
> I'd love to show you around. It is THE treat for all the senses.
>
> Andy

I've wondered, do people find parking there? Or park outside and take the
'metro/subway.'?
There must be people from all states and countries shopping there. Is it in
a 'safe' part of town, getting to and fro? Philadelphia has been in the
news in the last few months -

How do you contain yourself when you shop there?

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 12:53�pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message

> > The Ranger wrote:

> >> W00T! Wizard's bonnet please.

> > It's yours...

> >> BTW: I started out as a Peapod customer but quickly converted over as a
> >> Webvan faithful; loved that service unto its demise. Webvan had the
> >> finest produce, meats and seafood... All with Reasonable Prices... And
> >> _delivered_ into my kitchen for free!

> >> Safeway isn't as reasonably priced and won't stick around beyond a
> >> signature. The stuff picked was fine but no one does me the favor of
> >> taking my money. I'll throw it at you if you give me what I want.

> >> Domestications has been the one on-line business I was disappointed
> >> using. Other on-line retailers have given me what I ordered. <shrug> I
> >> guess I'm lucky in that respect.

> > I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but I
> > like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
> > paying for something. Just me, of course.
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> I've said befo
> "Around these parts" you wouldn't be getting much choice. �My cupboard would
> be bare.
>
> Right now I'm searching for a bagel slicer;

And here I always thought a bread knife is a bagel slicer... live and
learn... okay, I give, what's a bagel slicer, must be a stacked
redhead with freckles who will slice my bagels and spread em for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jan 22, 12:53�pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:

>> Right now I'm searching for a bagel slicer;

> And here I always thought a bread knife is a bagel slicer...

<lol> Me too.

> live and learn... okay, I give, what's a bagel slicer, must be a stacked
> redhead with freckles who will slice my bagels and spread em for me.

Here are some of them; obviously something for the one who has everything

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A3741661&page=1

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>.
>
> Here are some of them; obviously something for the one who has everything
>

> http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A3741661&page=1
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

"They" say that the most hospital ER admittances on Sunday are people who
have cut themselves slicing bagels.

That being said, Here is a posting I made and an answer I have been
thinking about, but DH hasn't seen it yet. It is intriguing.
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:29:27 -0500, "Dee.Dee" wrote:

>I'm wondering if there is any way to slice a bagel into 3 slices instead of
>buying an electric slicer or using a knife. (I was referring to something
>like a rival meat slicer.)

Here is the intriguing answer about a spacer:

Alternatively, use any bagel slicer which accomodates *very* thick bagels.
Add a
spacer (can be anything, really -- your other half can undoubtedly fix you
up)
as thick as the slices you want. Cut once, move the spacer to the opther
side of
the bagel, and cut again. Voila -- three equal slices.

Puzzled, but I guess I'll figure it out.
Thanks, CC,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

> <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Dee Dee
>>> who would love to shop at Fantes

>> Ask any employee where the "oddball-est" (??) thing is and they'll walk
>> you
>> straight to it. I think it's run by witches and warlocks.
>>
>> I love the place. And in the middle of the Italian Market?
>>
>> I'd love to show you around. It is THE treat for all the senses.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I've wondered, do people find parking there? Or park outside and take
> the 'metro/subway.'?
> There must be people from all states and countries shopping there. Is
> it in a 'safe' part of town, getting to and fro? Philadelphia has been
> in the news in the last few months -
>
> How do you contain yourself when you shop there?
>
> Dee Dee

Dee Dee,

There's so many people conducting daily volume business for restaurant
supplies from the markets, there's no room for crime at the Italian market.
That would be butt stupid.

Parking is hell and suppliers just stop in the middle of the street and
drop off produce and meats, etc., faster than spit, all day long and
there's an accepted patience about it. It all moves as fast as it can and
nobody can complain, it won't help.

After hours, I can't begin to guess. It's usually sold and closed by 4pm
daily. Depending on product.

Saturday is slow and Sunday is deadsville. Day of rest!

Andy

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail|@webtv|@aol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote on Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:40:18 -0500:

DD> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
??>> .
??>>
??>> Here are some of them; obviously something for the one who
??>> has everything
??>>
??>> http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A3741661&page=1
??>>
??>> --
??>> Cheers
??>> Chatty Cathy

DD> "They" say that the most hospital ER admittances on Sunday
DD> are people who have cut themselves slicing bagels.

I bought my daughter a bagel slicer after just such an
occurrence. I think she uses it but at least she's stayed out of
the ER! I freeze bagels and often defrost and toast them at the
same time. Be warned, give each frozen bagel 30 seconds nuking
before attempting to slice!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> I bought my daughter a bagel slicer after just such an
> occurrence. I think she uses it but at least she's stayed out of
> the ER! I freeze bagels and often defrost and toast them at the
> same time. Be warned, give each frozen bagel 30 seconds nuking
> before attempting to slice!

LOL I didn't belive such a thing existed.. but ... here it is)

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!11919

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
newsztlj.5435$Yl.4521@trnddc01...
> Dee.Dee wrote on Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:40:18 -0500:
>

> DD> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> ??>> .
> ??>>
> ??>> Here are some of them; obviously something for the one who
> ??>> has everything
> ??>>
> ??>> http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A3741661&page=1
> ??>>
> ??>> --
> ??>> Cheers
> ??>> Chatty Cathy
>
> DD> "They" say that the most hospital ER admittances on Sunday
> DD> are people who have cut themselves slicing bagels.
>
> I bought my daughter a bagel slicer after just such an occurrence. I think
> she uses it but at least she's stayed out of the ER! I freeze bagels and
> often defrost and toast them at the same time. Be warned, give each frozen
> bagel 30 seconds nuking before attempting to slice!
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

I do the same thing - 20 seconds. DH slices. He has brute strength ;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:06:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>The Ranger wrote:
>> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> The thread about GIANT potato mashers "inspired" this survey.
>>> Thanks Julie

>> W00T! Wizard's bonnet please.

>It's yours...
>>
>> BTW: I started out as a Peapod customer but quickly converted over
>> as a Webvan faithful; loved that service unto its demise. Webvan
>> had the finest produce, meats and seafood... All with Reasonable
>> Prices... And _delivered_ into my kitchen for free!
>>
>> Safeway isn't as reasonably priced and won't stick around beyond a
>> signature. The stuff picked was fine but no one does me the favor
>> of taking my money. I'll throw it at you if you give me what I
>> want.
>>
>> Domestications has been the one on-line business I was
>> disappointed using. Other on-line retailers have given me what I
>> ordered. <shrug> I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

>I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but
>I like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
>paying for something. Just me, of course.

i won't say 'never,' but yes, the on-line stuff is mostly for
research.

(music c.d.'s are another matter. amazon has an appalling amount of
my money. but then brick-and-martar c.d. stores are mostly pitiful.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:53:46 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but I
>> like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
>> paying for something. Just me, of course.
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

>I've said befo
>"Around these parts" you wouldn't be getting much choice. My cupboard would
>be bare.

<snip>
>If my online purchase choice doesn't work out, then ... I may be
>disappointed, but I'll go from there.
>Dee Dee

e-bay to the rescue!

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:11:11 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Dee.Dee wrote on Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:53:46 -0500:
>

> DD> Actually I'm sick of walking in a store and seeing the
>same
> DD> ole' cake pans, mixers and coffee pots -- totally
> DD> uninspiring. They are all copycats. These particular
> DD> brands must get a deal (or some incentive) from the
> DD> merchandisers to carry these same products ad nauseum.
>
>As you say, choice has become very limited, not just for kitchen
>equipment. At one time you could see different selections of
>paperback books in different stores. Now, since Crown Books put
>a lot of independent book stores around here out of business
>and then went out of business themselves because of family
>infighting, the choice is meager. I know you can go to Barnes
>and Noble or Borders but that requires a minor trip.
>
>James Silverton
>Potomac, Maryland

i find amazon or alibris the very balls for used books. their
condition is about the same as if they dad been new and hanging around
my house for a month or two, and prices, even with shipping, can't be
beat.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:06:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>The Ranger wrote:

>>> W00T! Wizard's bonnet please.

>>It's yours...
>>>
>>> BTW: I started out as a Peapod customer but quickly converted over
>>> as a Webvan faithful; loved that service unto its demise. Webvan
>>> had the finest produce, meats and seafood... All with Reasonable
>>> Prices... And _delivered_ into my kitchen for free!
>>>
>>> Safeway isn't as reasonably priced and won't stick around beyond a
>>> signature. The stuff picked was fine but no one does me the favor
>>> of taking my money. I'll throw it at you if you give me what I
>>> want.
>>>
>>> Domestications has been the one on-line business I was
>>> disappointed using. Other on-line retailers have given me what I
>>> ordered. <shrug> I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

>>I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but
>>I like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
>>paying for something. Just me, of course.

> i won't say 'never,' but yes, the on-line stuff is mostly for
> research.
>
> (music c.d.'s are another matter. amazon has an appalling amount of
> my money. but then brick-and-martar c.d. stores are mostly pitiful.)
>
> your pal,
> blake

This week at Borders, bought a music CD. Used the 30% coupon, cheaper than
Amazon. I really hate it when Amazon holds up an order, though. I'm
finally getting a book this week, I hope, that was ordered Dec 9, shipped
Jan 17. Darn, it should be here as it is shipping with something else and
shouldn't be shipped media mail.

I like it on Amazon when they have the 30-second listening for a CD. DH
ordered a week or so ago a CD of something he liked in the early 70's. I
guess he didn't listen enough to the 30 second teasers; he said that he
didn't remember that that CD was 'that' weird.

Your palsy-walsy,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:53:46 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but
>>> like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
>>> paying for something. Just me, of course.
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy

>>I've said befo
>>"Around these parts" you wouldn't be getting much choice. My cupboard
>>would
>>be bare.

> <snip>
>>If my online purchase choice doesn't work out, then ... I may be
>>disappointed, but I'll go from there.
>>Dee Dee
>>

> e-bay to the rescue!
>
> your pal,
> blake

ebay gives me a heart-seizure, unless it is a "Buy it now purchase."
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:01:02 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:53:46 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
>> wrote:

>>>I've said befo
>>>"Around these parts" you wouldn't be getting much choice. My cupboard
>>>would
>>>be bare.

>> <snip>
>>>If my online purchase choice doesn't work out, then ... I may be
>>>disappointed, but I'll go from there.
>>>Dee Dee
>>>

>> e-bay to the rescue!
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>ebay gives me a heart-seizure, unless it is a "Buy it now purchase."
>Dee Dee

i thought your old man handled e-bay. if not, stick it on him anyway.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:59:43 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

>> i won't say 'never,' but yes, the on-line stuff is mostly for
>> research.
>>
>> (music c.d.'s are another matter. amazon has an appalling amount of
>> my money. but then brick-and-martar c.d. stores are mostly pitiful.)
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>This week at Borders, bought a music CD. Used the 30% coupon, cheaper than
>Amazon. I really hate it when Amazon holds up an order, though. I'm
>finally getting a book this week, I hope, that was ordered Dec 9, shipped
>Jan 17. Darn, it should be here as it is shipping with something else and
>shouldn't be shipped media mail.
>
>I like it on Amazon when they have the 30-second listening for a CD. DH
>ordered a week or so ago a CD of something he liked in the early 70's. I
>guess he didn't listen enough to the 30 second teasers; he said that he
>didn't remember that that CD was 'that' weird.
>
>Your palsy-walsy,
>Dee Dee

obviously he forgot to smoke a joint first.

do you remember the c.d., by any chance?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:59:43 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>>> i won't say 'never,' but yes, the on-line stuff is mostly for
>>> research.
>>>
>>> (music c.d.'s are another matter. amazon has an appalling amount of
>>> my money. but then brick-and-martar c.d. stores are mostly pitiful.)
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> This week at Borders, bought a music CD. Used the 30% coupon, cheaper than
>> Amazon. I really hate it when Amazon holds up an order, though. I'm
>> finally getting a book this week, I hope, that was ordered Dec 9, shipped
>> Jan 17. Darn, it should be here as it is shipping with something else and
>> shouldn't be shipped media mail.
>>
>> I like it on Amazon when they have the 30-second listening for a CD. DH
>> ordered a week or so ago a CD of something he liked in the early 70's. I
>> guess he didn't listen enough to the 30 second teasers; he said that he
>> didn't remember that that CD was 'that' weird.
>>
>> Your palsy-walsy,
>> Dee Dee
>>

> obviously he forgot to smoke a joint first.

A joint of beef/pork or what?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:01:02 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> <snip>
>>>>

>>> e-bay to the rescue!
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>>ebay gives me a heart-seizure, unless it is a "Buy it now purchase."
>>Dee Dee
>>

> i thought your old man handled e-bay. if not, stick it on him anyway.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes, he does, but I'm on the sidelines tearing out my hair.
The last thing I wanted to buy, he absolutely forgot about the last day
bidding (so did I) . . I guess the emails were checked. Grrrrhh,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:59:43 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> i won't say 'never,' but yes, the on-line stuff is mostly for
>>> research.
>>>
>>> (music c.d.'s are another matter. amazon has an appalling amount of
>>> my money. but then brick-and-martar c.d. stores are mostly pitiful.)
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>>This week at Borders, bought a music CD. Used the 30% coupon, cheaper
>>than
>>Amazon. I really hate it when Amazon holds up an order, though. I'm
>>finally getting a book this week, I hope, that was ordered Dec 9, shipped
>>Jan 17. Darn, it should be here as it is shipping with something else and
>>shouldn't be shipped media mail.
>>
>>I like it on Amazon when they have the 30-second listening for a CD. DH
>>ordered a week or so ago a CD of something he liked in the early 70's. I
>>guess he didn't listen enough to the 30 second teasers; he said that he
>>didn't remember that that CD was 'that' weird.
>>
>>Your palsy-walsy,
>>Dee Dee
>>

> obviously he forgot to smoke a joint first.
>
> do you remember the c.d., by any chance?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Sure -- but you've got to promise not to laugh. (Guaranteeing that you
will!)

http://tinyurl.com/2ovthc
The song he got it for was "I had a talk with my woman last night."
Scroll down and you can 'listen' for 30 seconds.
I didn't ask him what were the other song(s) -- there weren't many on that
CD -- that he was referring to. It was probably "Lorca."

I always got him mixed up with Leon Russell who sang my favorite about that
same time, "Back to the Island." It was romantic at the time as we lived on
an island DH was gone one year most of that year except a couple of days.

I was just looking up youtube-Leon-back to the island and saw this sax
player.etc. I've never seen him -- Whoa!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_f9cICPWh0

I don't see Leon with Back to the Island, but it sure takes me back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD-eC...eature=related

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:59:43 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
>> wrote:

>>> This week at Borders, bought a music CD. Used the 30% coupon, cheaper
>>> than Amazon. I really hate it when Amazon holds up an order, though.
>>> I'm finally getting a book this week, I hope, that was ordered Dec 9,
>>> shipped Jan 17. Darn, it should be here as it is shipping with
>>> something else and shouldn't be shipped media mail.
>>>
>>> I like it on Amazon when they have the 30-second listening for a CD. DH
>>> ordered a week or so ago a CD of something he liked in the early 70's.
>>> I guess he didn't listen enough to the 30 second teasers; he said that
>>> he didn't remember that that CD was 'that' weird.
>>>
>>> Your palsy-walsy,
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> obviously he forgot to smoke a joint first.

> A joint of beef/pork or what?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Keeping on topic, I see. :-))
Dee Dee

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattyCathy View Post

I'm one of those "never buy on-line" people. I do research on-line, but
I like to actually see what I'm buying (not just a picture of it) before
paying for something. Just me, of course.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
I like to do a lot of research or browsing before I buy either online or in a physical store. I don't really ever buy food online but I have bought some of the stuff in my kitchen online. I was wondering if you had any favorite sites to go to when you are doing reasearch?

-Dulce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:11:21 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:59:43 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I like it on Amazon when they have the 30-second listening for a CD. DH
>>>ordered a week or so ago a CD of something he liked in the early 70's. I
>>>guess he didn't listen enough to the 30 second teasers; he said that he
>>>didn't remember that that CD was 'that' weird.
>>>
>>>Your palsy-walsy,
>>>Dee Dee
>>>

>> obviously he forgot to smoke a joint first.
>>
>> do you remember the c.d., by any chance?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Sure -- but you've got to promise not to laugh. (Guaranteeing that you
>will!)
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2ovthc
>The song he got it for was "I had a talk with my woman last night."
>Scroll down and you can 'listen' for 30 seconds.
>I didn't ask him what were the other song(s) -- there weren't many on that
>CD -- that he was referring to. It was probably "Lorca."

that one might call for two joints.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:53:46 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:59:43 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I like it on Amazon when they have the 30-second listening for a CD. DH
>>> ordered a week or so ago a CD of something he liked in the early 70's. I
>>> guess he didn't listen enough to the 30 second teasers; he said that he
>>> didn't remember that that CD was 'that' weird.
>>>
>>> Your palsy-walsy,
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> obviously he forgot to smoke a joint first.

>A joint of beef/pork or what?

q: what's the difference between a big mac and a blow job?

a: i don't know.

q: what are you doing for lunch tomorrow?

your pal,
blake