Old 10-10-2003, 07:53 AM
Kajikit

Default New oven, bottom 1/2 inch of roast not cooking

anonimoose123 saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on 7 Oct 2003 16:17:29 -0700:

I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
(chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.

A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
doesn't sit in the water. Plus with my old oven (which was alot
smaller) I did the same and never had a problem with the meat not
cooking all the way through.

I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
that's not the problem either.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what could be the
trouble?

I don't know why you'd be having this problem at all! Maybe there's
something wrong with your oven...

I'd just like to disagree with all the people saying you mustn't use
water in a roasting dish. My brother makes a delicious, tender,
slow-cooked beef roast using beefstock or water to keep it moist. The
top of the roast is still crisp and 'roasted' and the bottom is more
braised, but there's never been a problem with it not being cooked
enough!

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...