anonimoose123

Default New oven, bottom 1/2 inch of roast not cooking

I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
(chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.

A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
doesn't sit in the water. Plus with my old oven (which was alot
smaller) I did the same and never had a problem with the meat not
cooking all the way through.

I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
that's not the problem either.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what could be the
trouble?
Nancy Young

anonimoose123 wrote:

> I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
> roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
> that's not the problem either.
>
> Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what could be the
> trouble?

Perhaps try putting a pizza stone or the like on the bottom of the
oven.

nancy
Bob Pastorio

anonimoose123 wrote:

> I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
> (chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
> checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.

Why do you put water in a roasting pan? It won't keep then meat moist.
It will retard cooking. When it evaporates, it creates an area of
lowered temperature under the meat.

Was your old oven a gas oven, too? At what temperature are you
cooking? To what temperature in the meat?

> A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
> roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
> doesn't sit in the water. Plus with my old oven (which was alot
> smaller) I did the same and never had a problem with the meat not
> cooking all the way through.

What do you mean by cooking all the way through? To what temperature?
Is the rest of the roast like your old

> I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
> roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
> that's not the problem either.

Try putting the rack higher in the oven. Ovens will be hotter the
higher you go in them.

Pastorio

anonimoose123 > wrote:
> I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
> (chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
> checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.

Contact the manufacturer of the oven to discuss this problem. Since the
oven is new, you might as well raise this issue with the manufacturer
during the oven's warranty period in case there's a defect.
TonyP

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:17:29 -0700, anonimoose123 wrote:

> I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
> (chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
> checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.
>
> A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
> roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
> doesn't sit in the water. Plus with my old oven (which was alot
> smaller) I did the same and never had a problem with the meat not
> cooking all the way through.
>
> I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
> roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
> that's not the problem either.
>
> Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what could be the
> trouble?

Steamed roast? You might as well boil it. Put it on the bottom of the
pan (no rack), add a little water less than a 1/4 cup. Whatever seasonings or
veggies you use, 1 hour @ 350 then 3-4 hours @ 200... yummy. Make sure you
use a lid that fits your roasting pan or tin foil.

I you have to steam it remember heat rises, your pan is too big, your
oven is too hot or your not cooking it long enough. You could have your
oven on broil but we know you know better.

Tony

Blair P. Houghton

anonimoose123 > wrote:
>I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
>(chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
>checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.
>
>A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
>roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
>doesn't sit in the water. Plus with my old oven (which was alot
>smaller) I did the same and never had a problem with the meat not
>cooking all the way through.
>
>I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
>roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
>that's not the problem either.
>
>Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what could be the
>trouble?

Here's my guess:

The convection of the hot gases is more aggressive
or more directed in the new oven compared to your old
one.

The heated air goes up over the sides of the pan,
sideways to the food, and then up to the oven vent without
disturbing the cooler air below the rim of the pan, which
is further cooled by evaporation of the water in the pan.

Try losing the water, then using a shallower pan or a
higher rack or both, then give up and buy yourself a real
convection oven.

--Blair
"Eat out."
anonimoose123

Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
> anonimoose123 wrote:
>
> > I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
> > (chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
> > checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.

> Why do you put water in a roasting pan? It won't keep then meat moist.
> It will retard cooking. When it evaporates, it creates an area of
> lowered temperature under the meat.

I always thought a bit of water would help keep the meat moist. My
recipe for roasted chicken called for some chicken broth at the bottom
of the pan, which is later used for basting. I will definitely try
the next one without the water.

> Was your old oven a gas oven, too? At what temperature are you
> cooking? To what temperature in the meat?

The old oven was gas, too, but a much older and smaller model. I cook
at 350 - 375. I used a meat thermometer on the pork roast until it
reached 170.

> > A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
> > roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
> > doesn't sit in the water. Plus with my old oven (which was alot
> > smaller) I did the same and never had a problem with the meat not
> > cooking all the way through.

> What do you mean by cooking all the way through? To what temperature?
> Is the rest of the roast like your old

The rest of the meat is well cooked and moist. Only the bottom 1/2
inch stays red.

> > I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
> > roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
> > that's not the problem either.

> Try putting the rack higher in the oven. Ovens will be hotter the
> higher you go in them.

Thanks, I'll try this too.

> Pastorio
>
> > Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what could be the
> > trouble?

anonimoose123

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in message >. ..
> anonimoose123 > wrote:
> >I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
> >(chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
> >checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.
> >
> >A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
> >roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
> >doesn't sit in the water. Plus with my old oven (which was alot
> >smaller) I did the same and never had a problem with the meat not
> >cooking all the way through.
> >
> >I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
> >roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
> >that's not the problem either.
> >
> >Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what could be the
> >trouble?

> Here's my guess:
>
> The convection of the hot gases is more aggressive
> or more directed in the new oven compared to your old
> one.
>
> The heated air goes up over the sides of the pan,
> sideways to the food, and then up to the oven vent without
> disturbing the cooler air below the rim of the pan, which
> is further cooled by evaporation of the water in the pan.
>
> Try losing the water, then using a shallower pan or a
> higher rack or both, then give up and buy yourself a real
> convection oven.
>
> --Blair
> "Eat out."

The roasting pan I've always used is a fairly small pan, but tall (3 -
1/2 inches high). Worked fine in the old oven, but as you say may not
be the right pan for the new one. Thank you, I'll try a more shallow
roasting pan next time (w/o the water).
Frogleg

On 8 Oct 2003 06:10:31 -0700, (anonimoose123)
wrote:

>Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
>> anonimoose123 wrote:
>>
>> > I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
>> > (chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
>> > checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.

>> Why do you put water in a roasting pan? It won't keep then meat moist.
>> It will retard cooking. When it evaporates, it creates an area of
>> lowered temperature under the meat.

>I always thought a bit of water would help keep the meat moist. My
>recipe for roasted chicken called for some chicken broth at the bottom
>of the pan, which is later used for basting. I will definitely try
>the next one without the water.

Braising (cooking previously browned meat in a covered container with
a small amount of liquid) and roasting (exposing meat to dry oven
heat) are rather different processes. The puzzle is why this is a
*new* problem for you. Water baths are used for oven-cooked dishes
like custards to both even out the heat and expose the pan to
temperatures lower than 212F. You can boil water in a paper cup on an
electric coil because, until all the water vaporizes, it cools the
paper to well below the kindling temperature. If your "roast" rests in
water or broth, the submerged portion will be simmering, not roasting.
I just can't figure out why this method was *ever* satisfactory.

Roasts *do* exude fat and juice, but not usually in a quantity to
change roasting to boiling. In fact, the water content rather quickly
boils off to leave the "browned bits" one scrapes up for sauce. I'm
guessing that melted fat remains at a much higher temperature.
Default User

Frogleg wrote:

> Braising (cooking previously browned meat in a covered container with
> a small amount of liquid) and roasting (exposing meat to dry oven
> heat) are rather different processes. The puzzle is why this is a
> *new* problem for you. Water baths are used for oven-cooked dishes
> like custards to both even out the heat and expose the pan to
> temperatures lower than 212F.

Reread the original message:

"A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
doesn't sit in the water."

No braising at all.

Brian Rodenborn

PENMART01

>Default User wrote:
>
>>Frogleg wrote:
>>
>>> Braising (cooking previously browned meat in a covered container with
>>> a small amount of liquid) and roasting (exposing meat to dry oven
>>> heat) are rather different processes. The puzzle is why this is a
>>> *new* problem for you. Water baths are used for oven-cooked dishes
>>> like custards to both even out the heat and expose the pan to
>>> temperatures lower than 212F.

>>Reread the original message:
>>
>>"A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
>>roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
>>doesn't sit in the water."
>>

>>No braising at all.

Need to know more about this new oven. I roast all sorts of meats on a rack in
a pan with a bit of water (just enough so the very bottom of the rack doesn't
get all fercockted with fond - I hate scrubbing wire racks - but most of the
water evaporates leaving a nice base for gravy), been roasting with water in
the pan nigh on fifty years and never had the problem you describe. Did you
check that all the packing material has been removed from your new oven, is the
vent clear... is the oven's bottom panel properly aligned, is the oven's
thermostat sensor bulb properly placed? If there's blockage or a part
misaligned your oven may not be capable of proper convection, whereas there may
be hot spots, cold spots, and sections where the temperature will actually
correspond to the thermostat setting. You're not so ignorant as to have a
friggin' (totally useless piece of dreck) pizza stone plopped into your nice
new oven... that will definitely screw up its ability to roast properly, and
WILL permanently **** up the oven's physical integrity... anyone with half a
brain should notice that oven racks are made of wire, designed for maximum air
circulation, duh, blocking those openings with a friggin' slab of stone is just
plain DUH! And laying that stone on the oven's steel floor is just too ****ing
moronic for woids.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Frogleg

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:56:18 GMT, "
> wrote:
>
>I might attempt the
>whole "paper cup on a burner" thing just to see if it really works...

Actually, I did it with those little pleated paper thingies you use in
a muffin tin. More than once. Never on a gas stove -- while the
physics should be the same, getting a paper cup to balance would be
tricky. :-)
Frogleg

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:10:23 GMT, Default User
> wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:
>
>> Braising (cooking previously browned meat in a covered container with
>> a small amount of liquid) and roasting (exposing meat to dry oven
>> heat) are rather different processes. The puzzle is why this is a
>> *new* problem for you. Water baths are used for oven-cooked dishes
>> like custards to both even out the heat and expose the pan to
>> temperatures lower than 212F.

>Reread the original message:
>
>"A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
>roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
>doesn't sit in the water."
>
>No braising at all.

Sorry. Didn't see original. In that case I have nothing to add other
than agreeing with an earlier poster who suggested the water was
creating a cool zone in the oven. It still is puzzling (to me) that
the OP only had this problem with a new oven. Could it be because oven
heat was/is generated in different places? My gas oven's heat comes
from beneath the oven floor; I believe many electric ones have coils
both above and below the cooking area, inside the oven.
anonimoose123

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:10:23 GMT, Default User
> > wrote:
>
> >Frogleg wrote:
> >
> >> Braising (cooking previously browned meat in a covered container with
> >> a small amount of liquid) and roasting (exposing meat to dry oven
> >> heat) are rather different processes. The puzzle is why this is a
> >> *new* problem for you. Water baths are used for oven-cooked dishes
> >> like custards to both even out the heat and expose the pan to
> >> temperatures lower than 212F.

> >Reread the original message:
> >
> >"A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
> >roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
> >doesn't sit in the water."
> >
> >No braising at all.

> Sorry. Didn't see original. In that case I have nothing to add other
> than agreeing with an earlier poster who suggested the water was
> creating a cool zone in the oven. It still is puzzling (to me) that
> the OP only had this problem with a new oven. Could it be because oven
> heat was/is generated in different places? My gas oven's heat comes
> from beneath the oven floor; I believe many electric ones have coils
> both above and below the cooking area, inside the oven.

My old oven was also gas, but it was one of those ancient small
apartment-size ones. I'm wondering if the smaller size and/or age of
the oven made the difference.

So....am I to understand that when roasting chicken you shouldn't put
1/4 - 1/2 cup of chicken broth on the bottom of the pan (again, with
the bird sitting on a rack above the water)? I always thought that
ensured that there was sufficient juices for basting.

Kajikit

anonimoose123 saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on 7 Oct 2003 16:17:29 -0700:

>I have a new gas oven and have noticed that with every roast so far
>(chicken, pork) the bottom 1/2 inch of meat does not cook. I've
>checked the oven temperature with a thermometer and no problem there.
>
>A friend thinks it's because I use a bit of water at the bottom of the
>roasting pan. But the meat is always on a rack inside the pan so
>doesn't sit in the water. Plus with my old oven (which was alot
>smaller) I did the same and never had a problem with the meat not
>cooking all the way through.
>
>I checked the oven instructions and always made sure I positioned the
>roast on the proper oven rack (lower to the bottom of the oven), so
>that's not the problem either.
>
>Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what could be the
>trouble?

I don't know why you'd be having this problem at all! Maybe there's
something wrong with your oven...

I'd just like to disagree with all the people saying you mustn't use
water in a roasting dish. My brother makes a delicious, tender,
slow-cooked beef roast using beefstock or water to keep it moist. The
top of the roast is still crisp and 'roasted' and the bottom is more
braised, but there's never been a problem with it not being cooked
enough!

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...