Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question for Bosch dishwasher owners

I was about to pull the trigger on the Bosch SHE66.
I was at a friend's yesterday, and they have the top-of-the-line
Bosch. I looked inside, and maybe it was my imagination, but it
seemed VERY small inside.

I know the big trend is to add massive insulation to make them
quieter, but this seemed ridiculously small inside.

I guess I could go back with a tape measure. :-)

Can't get any specs from Bosch...their website has been down for 3
days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:
> I was about to pull the trigger on the Bosch SHE66.
> I was at a friend's yesterday, and they have the top-of-the-line
> Bosch. *I looked inside, and maybe it was my imagination, but it
> seemed VERY small inside.
>
> I know the big trend is to add massive insulation to make them
> quieter, but this seemed ridiculously small inside.
>
> I guess I could go back with a tape measure. *:-)
>
> Can't get any specs from Bosch...their website has been down for 3
> days.

So what's your "Question"... you didn't aks anything... case anyone's
wondering "aks" is southern speak for ask.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I forgot the question!

Can anyone confirm or deny that the Bosch capacity is less than the
competition?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:27:31 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

>I forgot the question!
>
>Can anyone confirm or deny that the Bosch capacity is less than the
>competition?

What is the capacity of the competition? The size is not necessarily
the best criteria. Flexibility in loading is much more important. Go
back to your friend's house and let them show you how many ways you
can configure it. I can do a top rack only wash, remove the top rack
and wash very tall items in the bottom rack. Just for starts.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
>I was about to pull the trigger on the Bosch SHE66.
> I was at a friend's yesterday, and they have the top-of-the-line
> Bosch. I looked inside, and maybe it was my imagination, but it
> seemed VERY small inside.
>
> I know the big trend is to add massive insulation to make them
> quieter, but this seemed ridiculously small inside.
>
> I guess I could go back with a tape measure. :-)
>
> Can't get any specs from Bosch...their website has been down for 3
> days.

There are at least two different interiors to dishwashers these days. You
can generally tell from the outside. The large interior has a one piece
door panel all the way to the floor. The smaller one has a two-piece front,
with a separate panel near the floor.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, susan_r23666
@yahoo.com says...
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:27:31 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>
> >I forgot the question!
> >
> >Can anyone confirm or deny that the Bosch capacity is less than the
> >competition?

> What is the capacity of the competition? The size is not necessarily
> the best criteria. Flexibility in loading is much more important. Go
> back to your friend's house and let them show you how many ways you
> can configure it. I can do a top rack only wash, remove the top rack
> and wash very tall items in the bottom rack. Just for starts.

Good point. Also, washing a lot of dishes poorly is not better than
washing slightly fewer dishes well. We replaced a Whirlpool with a Bosch
and did not notice any capacity difference.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:
> I forgot the question!
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny that the Bosch capacity is less than the
> competition?

In my experience, cubic capacity is much less important than the
configuration of the racks. My Maytag has all kinds of flip-down parts
on the racks but is much harder to load efficiently and smaller in
actual capacity than my old Whirlpool.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>In my experience, cubic capacity is much less important than the
>configuration of the racks.

Good point. I called my friend and she measured her Bosch. The racks
are the same width as mine, but mine are 4" deeper.

We're already in the habit of handwashing all the large items after
dinner, so this difference might be insignificant.

The GE Profile has some great features (fan assisted drying!), but has
a handle that sticks out and would block a drawer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> I was about to pull the trigger on the Bosch SHE66.
> I was at a friend's yesterday, and they have the top-of-the-line
> Bosch. I looked inside, and maybe it was my imagination, but it
> seemed VERY small inside.
>
> I know the big trend is to add massive insulation to make them
> quieter, but this seemed ridiculously small inside.
>
> I guess I could go back with a tape measure. :-)
>
> Can't get any specs from Bosch...their website has been down for 3
> days.

I have an SHU 66 and find it to be about the same capacity as my
previous KitchenAids. It is far more flexible, however, in that the
racks have moveable sections that can be easily rearranged for special
loads AND because the loading limitations are significantly less. It
cleans dishes differently than the KitchenAid and that also made a big
difference. I used to have a problem in the KA that sometimes the water
flow would be blocked by too many dishes on the bottom rack or by
inverted containers that blocked the water flow. This is not an issue
in the Bosch because it has far better flow and water circulation. And
it's darn quiet.... unbelievably quiet. Bosch did replace the soap and
drying agent holder, however, because it spewed out way too much drying
agent. It was around $160 just for the part IIRC but was covered under
warranty. Good luck with your decision.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> It cleans dishes differently than the KitchenAid and that also made a big
>difference.

Good to know. Our current KA deposits gritty crud on all the glasses.
It will be nice to have a machine that actually cleans the dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> > It cleans dishes differently than the KitchenAid and that also made a big
> >difference.

> Good to know. Our current KA deposits gritty crud on all the glasses.
> It will be nice to have a machine that actually cleans the dishes.

It is somewhat fussy about detergent. You're not supposed to use the
gels and it seems to do best with regular Cascade powder as far as
brands go. It uses FAR less than the KA btw--- maybe 1/3 to 1/4 as
much; I kid you not. One thing I learned when I got the Bosch was that
DW detergents get old and lose their cleaning power very quickly. That
was a shock. So it is unwise to buy those huge boxes at Sams or Costco.
We buy the small boxes now and they last for many months. A nice
savings too.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:

> It is somewhat fussy about detergent. You're not supposed to use the
> gels and it seems to do best with regular Cascade powder as far as
> brands go. It uses FAR less than the KA btw--- maybe 1/3 to 1/4 as
> much; I kid you not. One thing I learned when I got the Bosch was that
> DW detergents get old and lose their cleaning power very quickly. That
> was a shock. So it is unwise to buy those huge boxes at Sams or Costco.
> We buy the small boxes now and they last for many months. A nice
> savings too.
>
> Emma

My last set of everyday dishes (Oneida Blue Heather) specifically warned
to not use dishwasher detergent with citrus in it. I guess it is too
harsh on the finish? Sometimes it seems they all had citrus in them!
I just bought a new service for 8 of Mikasa Italian Countryside for
every day use and there were no warnings. We are enjoying them very much
so far although they're a tad larger in all ways than the older set and
really fill the dishwasher up.
http://www.mikasaandcompany.com/cont...ct_id=DD900016 '
I have been purchasing the Cascade individually packaged detergent
"bombs" (for lack of better description) and have been pleased with the
results.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> My last set of everyday dishes (Oneida Blue Heather) specifically warned
> to not use dishwasher detergent with citrus in it. I guess it is too
> harsh on the finish? Sometimes it seems they all had citrus in them!
> I just bought a new service for 8 of Mikasa Italian Countryside for
> every day use and there were no warnings. We are enjoying them very much
> so far although they're a tad larger in all ways than the older set and
> really fill the dishwasher up.

Wow... that is amazing. I just got my new set of Italian Countryside
last week! I do like the larger plates very much. It's a really nice
set. I also liked the Mikasa True Blue but found it a bit too expensive
for everyday use and someone in the house with "dropsy".

> http://www.mikasaandcompany.com/cont...ct_id=DD900016 '
> I have been purchasing the Cascade individually packaged detergent
> "bombs" (for lack of better description) and have been pleased with the
> results.

How much do those hold, do you know?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:

> Wow... that is amazing. I just got my new set of Italian Countryside
> last week! I do like the larger plates very much. It's a really nice
> set. I also liked the Mikasa True Blue but found it a bit too expensive
> for everyday use and someone in the house with "dropsy".

We like the larger plates too. I hope you got a good sale price on them?
I stumbled onto a big sale at Belk, www.belk.com and I think most of the
plates were priced at $5.99 each. I know they have another sale on them
going on right now if you need any more pieces? I purchased 8 dinner
plates, 8 salad plates, 8 soup plates, 8 cereal bowls and the sugar bowl
just because I needed a new one and it is nice and large. My only
complaint is that the sugar bowl doesn't have a notch for my beloved
Tiffany sugar spoon. The soup plate (really a bowl for those who don't
know) is just perfect for macaroni and spaghetti. I'm still waiting for
the cereal bowls to arrive off backorder. For the price I am patient.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> It uses FAR less than the KA btw--- maybe 1/3 to 1/4 as
>much; I kid you not.

Yeah...I saw that. I downloaded the manual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Emma Thackery wrote:
>
> > Wow... that is amazing. I just got my new set of Italian Countryside
> > last week! I do like the larger plates very much. It's a really nice
> > set. I also liked the Mikasa True Blue but found it a bit too expensive
> > for everyday use and someone in the house with "dropsy".

> We like the larger plates too. I hope you got a good sale price on them?
> I stumbled onto a big sale at Belk, www.belk.com and I think most of the
> plates were priced at $5.99 each. I know they have another sale on them
> going on right now if you need any more pieces? I purchased 8 dinner
> plates, 8 salad plates, 8 soup plates, 8 cereal bowls and the sugar bowl
> just because I needed a new one and it is nice and large. My only
> complaint is that the sugar bowl doesn't have a notch for my beloved
> Tiffany sugar spoon. The soup plate (really a bowl for those who don't
> know) is just perfect for macaroni and spaghetti. I'm still waiting for
> the cereal bowls to arrive off backorder. For the price I am patient.

Sounds like I did not get as good a deal as you did. I got the 45 piece
set from DIllards for $150 in a 3 day sale I happened upon. Other
prices I found were around $50 higher as I recall. I want to get
fruit dishes, B&B plates, and some other items so I'll definitely check
out Belk for prices. Thanks for the tip!

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:04:05 -0600, Emma Thackery >
wrote:

> This is not an issue
>in the Bosch because it has far better flow and water circulation. And
>it's darn quiet.... unbelievably quiet.

We had the dishwasher put in last Thursday. It's unbelievably loud!
It's 5 times louder than our old one. There must be something wrong
with it. It's got the same noise specs as our friends' dishwasher,
and theirs is so quiet it shines a little light on the floor to let
you know it's running.

We never had a noise issue with our old one, but with this one, we
can't hear the TV over it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote

> We had the dishwasher put in last Thursday. It's unbelievably loud!
> It's 5 times louder than our old one. There must be something wrong
> with it. It's got the same noise specs as our friends' dishwasher,
> and theirs is so quiet it shines a little light on the floor to let
> you know it's running.
>
> We never had a noise issue with our old one, but with this one, we
> can't hear the TV over it!

I assume you've called the installer/seller/manufacturer/all of the above?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:04:05 -0600, Emma Thackery >
> wrote:
>
> > This is not an issue
> >in the Bosch because it has far better flow and water circulation. And
> >it's darn quiet.... unbelievably quiet.

> We had the dishwasher put in last Thursday. It's unbelievably loud!
> It's 5 times louder than our old one. There must be something wrong
> with it. It's got the same noise specs as our friends' dishwasher,
> and theirs is so quiet it shines a little light on the floor to let
> you know it's running.
>
> We never had a noise issue with our old one, but with this one, we
> can't hear the TV over it!

There has to be something wrong with either the machine or the
installation. Ours is so quiet you literally cannot hear it running
even 5 feet away. And we have one of those kitchens that opens up to
the family room where we have our TV. I recommend calling Bosch first,
to get some ideas of what might be wrong before calling service. This
is absolutely not right.

When we had a washing machine installed last year, the installers failed
to properly secure the drain hose in the drain pipe and the first time I
ran it, the hose popped out and started flooding my laundry room. It
seems like the installation people just don't give a rip anymore. Maybe
they figure any damage done or poor installation will be paid for under
warranty. Keep us informed please.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 11:54�am, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:04:05 -0600, Emma Thackery >
> wrote:
>
> > This is not an issue
> >in the Bosch because it has far better flow and water circulation. *And
> >it's darn quiet.... unbelievably quiet.

> We had the dishwasher put in last Thursday. *It's unbelievably loud!
> It's 5 times louder than our old one. *There must be something wrong
> with it. *It's got the same noise specs as our friends' dishwasher,
> and theirs is so quiet it shines a little light on the floor to let
> you know it's running.
>
> We never had a noise issue with our old one, but with this one, we
> can't hear the TV over it!

You don't say what brand/model you bought... "the" is not at all
descriptive.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:
> . . . . . One thing I learned when I got the Bosch was that
> DW detergents get old and lose their cleaning power very quickly. That
> was a shock. > Emma

We keep ours in the fridge; don't notice the loss of bouquet quite so
quickly and the power remains awesome. Wrap in wax paper, then place
in plastic bag. If liquid, stand upright so crud won't globulate
around the
spout. If it does, however, just scrap it off; the deterg is still
good to go.
Those who decant their liquid deterg are simply foolish. We drank ours
only once, a big mistake; but that was after a night of demented
debauchery
that I wish I could forget forever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"stark" > wrote:

> Emma Thackery wrote:
> > . . . . . One thing I learned when I got the Bosch was that DW
> > detergents get old and lose their cleaning power very quickly.
> > That was a shock. > Emma

> We keep ours in the fridge; don't notice the loss of bouquet quite so
> quickly and the power remains awesome. Wrap in wax paper, then place
> in plastic bag. If liquid, stand upright so crud won't globulate
> around the spout. If it does, however, just scrap it off; the deterg
> is still good to go. Those who decant their liquid deterg are simply
> foolish. We drank ours only once, a big mistake; but that was after a
> night of demented debauchery that I wish I could forget forever.

Thanks for the tip. We now only get the smallest boxes and never
liquids or gels since Bosch says not to use them in their machines. So I
guess we are saved from imbibing any of it.... leastways I think so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:04:05 -0600, Emma Thackery >
> wrote:
>
>> This is not an issue
>> in the Bosch because it has far better flow and water circulation. And
>> it's darn quiet.... unbelievably quiet.

> We had the dishwasher put in last Thursday. It's unbelievably loud!
> It's 5 times louder than our old one. There must be something wrong
> with it. It's got the same noise specs as our friends' dishwasher,
> and theirs is so quiet it shines a little light on the floor to let
> you know it's running.
>
> We never had a noise issue with our old one, but with this one, we
> can't hear the TV over it!

For the whole time, or just during a certain part of the
cycle? Mine was like that--something wrong with a pump. AND
they never did get it fixed! That was before it died.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you got a Bosch you shouldn't be hearing it wash. I'll be sitting at my
dining room table 3 feet from my dishwasher... having coffee with a friend
and after about a 1/2 hour they'll startle and strain to hear and say, "IS
THAT YOUR DISH WASHER?!" Then they'll get up and put their hand on it and
then bend down and put their ear on it and say, "I can't believe your
dishwasher is running I can barely hear it." Yes, something is wrong with
yours you might have gotten a lemon.

Lynne

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:04:05 -0600, Emma Thackery >
> wrote:
>
>> This is not an issue
>>in the Bosch because it has far better flow and water circulation. And
>>it's darn quiet.... unbelievably quiet.

> We had the dishwasher put in last Thursday. It's unbelievably loud!
> It's 5 times louder than our old one. There must be something wrong
> with it. It's got the same noise specs as our friends' dishwasher,
> and theirs is so quiet it shines a little light on the floor to let
> you know it's running.
>
> We never had a noise issue with our old one, but with this one, we
> can't hear the TV over it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:43:14 -0600, Emma Thackery >
wrote:

>There has to be something wrong with either the machine or the
>installation.

I'm glad I mentioned it.
I called the dealer and he said there's no way we should hear this
thing, and especially that it would be loud.

So they're coming to check it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:43:14 -0600, Emma Thackery >
> wrote:
>
> >There has to be something wrong with either the machine or the
> >installation.

> I'm glad I mentioned it.
> I called the dealer and he said there's no way we should hear this
> thing, and especially that it would be loud.
>
> So they're coming to check it out.

Good. Those of us who have them are not exaggerating when we say ours
are extremely quiet. Keep us posted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, the tech came out today and told us the noise level was
"normal."

That was disappointing.
It really is way louder than our old one, but oh, well...it cleans
like a mofo.

I put in a blender covered in batter just to see...and it came out
sparkling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> Well, the tech came out today and told us the noise level was
> "normal."
>
> That was disappointing.
> It really is way louder than our old one, but oh, well...it cleans
> like a mofo.
>
> I put in a blender covered in batter just to see...and it came out
> sparkling.

I hope you've called the Bosch consumer line. Unless they've changed
the design of your model, it should be so quiet that you can only hear
it if you are quite close or if there isn't a bit of noise in the house.
And even then, you would still barely hear a hum when it is filling or
emptying. It most certainly should not be interfering with other
activities.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:23:20 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

>Well, the tech came out today and told us the noise level was
>"normal."
>
>That was disappointing.
>It really is way louder than our old one, but oh, well...it cleans
>like a mofo.
>
>I put in a blender covered in batter just to see...and it came out
>sparkling.

Sounds like you got the same tech as a couple that I have run into.
The first one was at Kitchenaid who told me is was normal to have
grease drip down the shaft.

The next one told me that it was normal for my new drier to not get
the clothes dry. The filter and vent were clean. He also replaced
the wrong part on my Bosch dishwasher. After that my husband called
the owner of the store and he sent the top repair guy out (his son)
who fixed both item right away. I believe the tech was gone very
soon.
--
Susan N.