Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why is this recipe peppery?

I've tried the following a few times, and it's been great:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...3e8104cbc71a16

but the last two times, it has been extremely peppery. Could it be the
garlic burning? Does garlic turn peppery when over cooked?

Thanks,
Pete

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 4:52?pm, "Pete" > wrote:
> I've tried the following a few times, and it's been great:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...3e8104cbc71a16
>
> but the last two times, it has been extremely peppery. Could it be the
> garlic burning? Does garlic turn peppery when over cooked?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Burned garlic usually has an acrid, bitter taste. If you're measuring
the ingredients according to the recipe link, don't see anything that
would create a "peppery" taste unless you bought one of those "pre-
seasoned" pork loins I see at the market.

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete" > wrote in message
> I've tried the following a few times, and it's been great:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...3e8104cbc71a16
>
> but the last two times, it has been extremely peppery. Could it be the
> garlic burning? Does garlic turn peppery when over cooked?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

1/2 c. Worcestershire sauce? -- sounds excessive to me.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete" > wrote

> I've tried the following a few times, and it's been great:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...3e8104cbc71a16
>
> but the last two times, it has been extremely peppery. Could it be the
> garlic burning? Does garlic turn peppery when over cooked?

Some garlic is hotter than others. I ran into that once when
I had a slice of prime sandwich with garlic in San Diego.
Whew, it was hot, I even asked the bartender.

I don't see anything else in the recipe that would be peppery.
Must be the variety or freshness of the garlic you used.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 12, 4:52 pm, "Pete" > wrote:
> I've tried the following a few times, and it's been great:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...3e8104cbc71a16
>
> but the last two times, it has been extremely peppery. Could it be the
> garlic burning? Does garlic turn peppery when over cooked?

That's quite a bizarre recipe, so it's hard to imagine what it would
taste like and where any peppery taste would come from. Both the
worcestershire and the vinegar quantities seem excessive so I'd look
there. The amount of garlic is so minimal -- about a large clove for
a 3-lb. piece of meat -- that I would doubt it could be the cause.

But the cooking method is so unusual the effect is hard to judge. I'd
guess what you get from sealing everything up in a foil bag is more
like a braise than anything else. The grill just happens to be a heat
source, which could just as easily have been the oven or a dutch oven
on the stovetop. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:52:28 GMT, "Pete" >
wrote:

>I've tried the following a few times, and it's been great:
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...3e8104cbc71a16
>
>but the last two times, it has been extremely peppery. Could it be the
>garlic burning? Does garlic turn peppery when over cooked?

No... but worcestershire sauce has pepper in it, so if you are down at
the dregs of the bottle it can be quite hot.