Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peppery Lentil Soup

I think this is the best fat-free lentil soup I've ever made. You
could cut back on the pepper, but I kind of liked it this way. It
looks like a lot of ingredients, but most of them are spices.

Serene

Peppery Lentil Soup

1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup dry entils (the regular brown ones), rinsed
5 cups water
1 Tbsp. miso paste
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 t. fines herbs
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1-2 packed cups chopped fresh spinach

Bring everything but the spinach to a boil, then turn down the heat
and simmer approximately 45 minutes, until lentils are as soft as
you want them to be. A few minutes before serving, stir in the
spinach, allow to wilt a few minutes, remove the bay leaf, then
serve the soup hot. Also excellent as leftovers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:26:28 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>I think this is the best fat-free lentil soup I've ever made. You
>could cut back on the pepper, but I kind of liked it this way. It
>looks like a lot of ingredients, but most of them are spices.
>
>Serene
>

>Peppery Lentil Soup

snippage

Thanks Serene, it sounds delicious. I have some lentils and I'm going
to start it now. I don't have any miso but I think it will be
delicious anyway.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 4/20
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
>I think this is the best fat-free lentil soup I've ever made. You could cut
>back on the pepper, but I kind of liked it this way. It looks like a lot of
>ingredients, but most of them are spices.
>
> Serene
>

> Peppery Lentil Soup
>
> 1 onion, chopped
> 3 carrots, chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1 cup dry entils (the regular brown ones), rinsed
> 5 cups water
> 1 Tbsp. miso paste
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1/4 t. fines herbs
> 1 bay leaf
> 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
> 1-2 packed cups chopped fresh spinach
>
> Bring everything but the spinach to a boil, then turn down the heat and
> simmer approximately 45 minutes, until lentils are as soft as you want
> them to be. A few minutes before serving, stir in the spinach, allow to
> wilt a few minutes, remove the bay leaf, then serve the soup hot. Also
> excellent as leftovers.

Thanks! I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2004 and changed to almost all
fresh foods at that time. My dietary change has been successful, and I have
been able to keep my sugar under tight control by diet and exercise (no
medications since March 2005). The only "commercially prepared food" I buy
now is soup, and I would like to get away from this -- far too much sodium,
for one thing. I have been buying Progresso lentil soup and black bean soup
(when I can find it), so these have been on my list of things to do. So,
I'm going to try this recipe. I'm also in the market for a good (but easy)
black bean soup recipe, if anyone has one.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> I think this is the best fat-free lentil soup I've ever made. You could
> cut back on the pepper, but I kind of liked it this way. It looks like a
> lot of ingredients, but most of them are spices.
>
> Serene
>

> Peppery Lentil Soup
>
> 1 onion, chopped
> 3 carrots, chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1 cup dry entils (the regular brown ones), rinsed
> 5 cups water
> 1 Tbsp. miso paste
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1/4 t. fines herbs
> 1 bay leaf
> 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
> 1-2 packed cups chopped fresh spinach
>
> Bring everything but the spinach to a boil, then turn down the heat and
> simmer approximately 45 minutes, until lentils are as soft as you want
> them to be. A few minutes before serving, stir in the spinach, allow to
> wilt a few minutes, remove the bay leaf, then serve the soup hot. Also
> excellent as leftovers.

That sounds wonderful!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> I think this is the best fat-free lentil soup I've ever made. You could
> cut back on the pepper, but I kind of liked it this way. It looks like a
> lot of ingredients, but most of them are spices.
>
> Serene
>

> Peppery Lentil Soup
>
> 1 onion, chopped
> 3 carrots, chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1 cup dry entils (the regular brown ones), rinsed
> 5 cups water
> 1 Tbsp. miso paste
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1/4 t. fines herbs
> 1 bay leaf
> 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
> 1-2 packed cups chopped fresh spinach
>
> Bring everything but the spinach to a boil, then turn down the heat and
> simmer approximately 45 minutes, until lentils are as soft as you want
> them to be. A few minutes before serving, stir in the spinach, allow to
> wilt a few minutes, remove the bay leaf, then serve the soup hot. Also
> excellent as leftovers.

It sounds good. The only thing I would change is when the miso is added.
You never boil miso so typically it is introduced just before serving or
added at the table.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> It sounds good. The only thing I would change is when the miso is added.
> You never boil miso so typically it is introduced just before serving or
> added at the table.

I did this intentionally. I've been cooking with miso for, gosh, 25
years, and if you boil it (I don't do it often), you get the
saltiness and some body, without any miso taste at all, which was
what I was going for.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> I think this is the best fat-free lentil soup I've ever made. You
> could cut back on the pepper, but I kind of liked it this way. It
> looks like a lot of ingredients, but most of them are spices.
>
> Serene
>

> Peppery Lentil Soup

Yoink!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Ham REC - Lentil and Ham Soup Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 0 02-03-2009 03:43 AM
Lentil Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-09-2005 10:18 PM
Ham and Lentil Soup T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 11-03-2005 04:00 AM