Old 11-02-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Easy French Toast Question

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

Old 11-02-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 7:03 pm, "aem" wrote:
Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I would. Unless you like a heavy crust on your french
toast...medallions.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Feb 2007 17:03:55 -0800, "aem" wrote:

Do you trim the crusts off the slices?

Some do. Some don't. Personal choice rears it ugly head again.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

For me, yes. I would think that the crust, being more substantial to begin
with, would be just more texture than I would care to deal with :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 11-02-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

Why?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"aem" wrote:

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

That's entirely up to you.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem said...

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I wouldn't.

And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.

Andy
Old 11-02-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" q wrote in message ...
aem said...

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I wouldn't.

And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.

Andy

Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.

kili

Old 11-02-2007, 02:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini said...

"Andy" q wrote in message ...
aem said...

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I wouldn't.

And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.

Andy

Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.

kili

kili, let's meet over at Longhi's for morning sticky buns!

Andy
Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I would choose thinner slices because I delight in the custardy interior of
french toast (or izzit "Freedom Toast" now?)
If it isn't to your liking after you make it with crusts, you could always
trim them at the table...

Old 11-02-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:31:13 -0600, Andy q wrote:

And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier

Some of us don't require liquor in the morning. Facing a new day
with a clear head is a privilege and a blessing.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
"Andy" q wrote in message ...
aem said...

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I wouldn't.

And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.

Andy

Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.

Nutmeg, *in* the egg and milk mixture. Wonderful.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

yuch!!! Oysters look and smell like they have already been eaten once.

jay wrote:
On 10 Feb 2007 17:03:55 -0800, aem wrote:

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

To me French toast is better not thick.. a bread to egg ratio thing. So,
I would decide to slice it not so thick. If I did it thick I would stand
the bread on the egged crust in the skillet and try for some French crust.

jay -- making oysters tonight

Old 11-02-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

You use challah. And you don't cut the crusts off, no matter what.