Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot Cocoa and boiled milk

When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
into milk or water.

The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is
often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.

Does anyone else have this feeling as well?

Thank you,
Edward Warren

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Ed Warren wrote:

> The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is
> often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.
>
> Does anyone else have this feeling as well?

I'd have to say I'm on the other side of this one. I like
the combination of dairy and chocolate flavors. Think
of your favorite rich chocolate ice cream. I'd want to
keep the dairy flavor prominent.

When I make ganache I use non-UHT cream, for instance. More
noticeable cream flavors.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Warren" wrote:
> When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
> whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. *I use 1 TBS of
> cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. *I do understand the difference
> between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
> into milk or water.
>
> The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> cocoa, sugar, and milk. *I often see admonitions against boiling. *It is
> often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> boiling. *When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> beverage that distracts from the cocoa. *I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.

I don't use milk with hot chocolate... if hot chocolate were meant to
contain dairy it would come that way from the tit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 02:12:01 GMT, "Ed Warren" >
wrote:

>When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
>whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
>cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
>between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
>into milk or water.
>
>The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
>cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is
>often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
>boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
>beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
>seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
>carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.
>
>Does anyone else have this feeling as well?
>
>Thank you,
>Edward Warren

Not, I, certainly. You wind up with a skin on the milk and a really
"off" taste at that point, BUT if that is the way that you prefer, who
am I to complain?

I heat the milk to about 140 degrees and pour it into a cup that has
the cocoa, the sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix well.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Warren wrote:

> When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
> whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
> cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
> between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
> into milk or water.
>
> The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is
> often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.
>
> Does anyone else have this feeling as well?
>
> Thank you,
> Edward Warren

I prefer mochas myself ;> So, I make a small 3-cup pot of espresso in
the morning and microwave a mug half-full of milk with a teaspoon or two
of sugar for about 1:38 time-wise (this time will vary depending on the
microwave, of course). Although the milk hasn't boiled, there is some
foam. After that, I add a tbs. (give or take a little) of Ghiradelli's
premium hot cocoa (double chocolate) [I have no clue if this is Dutch
process cocoa or not], add about half of the espresso, add cream, and
top off with whipped cream. Then, later in the evening, I'll repeat the
process to finish off the remainder of the espresso Heavenly,
escpecially in sub-freezing winter weather.

Sky, who's now going to get that second cup of mocha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Warren" > wrote:

> When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
> whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
> cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
> between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
> into milk or water.
>
> The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is
> often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.
>
> Does anyone else have this feeling as well?
>
> Thank you,
> Edward Warren

Sounds like a lot of trouble. ;-)

I just nuke a cup of water, dump in a packet of powdered hot cocoa
(generic or Carnation or Swiss Miss), stir and add a little heavy cream.

It's done in about 5 minutes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> "Ed Warren" wrote:
> > When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
> > whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. *I use 1 TBS of
> > cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. *I do understand the difference
> > between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
> > into milk or water.
> >
> > The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> > cocoa, sugar, and milk. *I often see admonitions against boiling. *It is
> > often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> > boiling. *When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> > beverage that distracts from the cocoa. *I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> > seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> > carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.

> I don't use milk with hot chocolate... if hot chocolate were meant to
> contain dairy it would come that way from the tit.

You've never seen a chocolate cow???
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > "Ed Warren" wrote:
> > > When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
> > > whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
> > > cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
> > > between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
> > > into milk or water.
> > >
> > > The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> > > cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is
> > > often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> > > boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> > > beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> > > seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> > > carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.

> > I don't use milk with hot chocolate... if hot chocolate were meant to
> > contain dairy it would come that way from the tit.

> You've never seen a chocolate cow???
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.

And if the chocolate cow is shaken, one gets a chocolate milkshake <g>.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> "Ed Warren" wrote:
>
>>When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
>>whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. �I use 1 TBS of
>>cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. �I do understand the difference
>>between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
>>into milk or water.
>>
>>The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
>>cocoa, sugar, and milk. �I often see admonitions against boiling. �It is
>>often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
>>boiling. �When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
>>beverage that distracts from the cocoa. �I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
>>seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
>>carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.

> I don't use milk with hot chocolate... if hot chocolate were meant to
> contain dairy it would come that way from the tit.

passing the hot chicken broth with chocolate in it to shelly...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Warren wrote:

> When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
> whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
> cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
> between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
> into milk or water.
>
> The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is
> often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.
>
> Does anyone else have this feeling as well?
>
> Thank you,
> Edward Warren

I cant say i have noticed a difference, some times i have accidentally
let the milk boil at other times i put the Mexican chocolate "Abulita"
in just as it starts to and whisk till dissolved.

Savarin comments on letting it it sit overnight and then drinking.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> I heat the milk to about 140 degrees and pour it into a cup that has
> the cocoa, the sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
>
> Boron

I nuke a large mug of milk (holds almost 2 measured cups) for 3.5
minutes. I add about 1/2 to 1 tsp only of cocoa, and one packet fake
sugar. I gave up on the salt long ago, but know it does bring out the
flavor. It is a very milky tasting cocoa which is the perfect drink for
when I get off work in the morning and am winding down reading RFC
before bed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I just nuke a cup of water, dump in a packet of powdered hot cocoa
> (generic or Carnation or Swiss Miss), stir and add a little heavy cream.
>
> It's done in about 5 minutes.

gag. Way too much sugar, overpriced and not particularly good tasting
chocolate IMO. Is there even any calcium in those packets??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 4:07 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Boron Elgar wrote:
> > I heat the milk to about 140 degrees and pour it into a cup that has
> > the cocoa, the sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix well.

> > Boron

> I nuke a large mug of milk (holds almost 2 measured cups) for 3.5
> minutes. I add about 1/2 to 1 tsp only of cocoa, and one packet fake
> sugar. I gave up on the salt long ago, but know it does bring out the
> flavor. It is a very milky tasting cocoa which is the perfect drink for
> when I get off work in the morning and am winding down reading RFC
> before bed.

A little vanilla adds flavor, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 10:00�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>

> *"Sheldon" > wrote:
> > "Ed Warren" wrote:
> > > When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
> > > whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. *I use 1 TBS of
> > > cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. *I do understand the difference
> > > between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
> > > into milk or water.

> > > The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> > > cocoa, sugar, and milk. *I often see admonitions against boiling. *It is
> > > often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> > > boiling. *When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> > > beverage that distracts from the cocoa. *I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> > > seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> > > carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.

> > I don't use milk with hot chocolate... if hot chocolate were meant to
> > contain dairy it would come that way from the tit.

> You've never seen a chocolate cow???

Sho 'nuff have... her nik it be Da Dairy Queen. An I dun-do a lot mo
n' seed em... try hard as I might could not get a lick o cocoa out her
milk cans... jus plain ol Carnation.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> On Feb 7, 10:00�pm, Omelet <omp > wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> >

> > *"Sheldon" > wrote:

> > > I don't use milk with hot chocolate... if hot chocolate were meant to
> > > contain dairy it would come that way from the tit.

> > You've never seen a chocolate cow???

> Sho 'nuff have... her nik it be Da Dairy Queen. An I dun-do a lot mo
> n' seed em... try hard as I might could not get a lick o cocoa out her
> milk cans... jus plain ol Carnation.
>
> Sheldon

You were milking the wrong end.

<smirk>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om quipped about the chocolate cow:

>> Sho 'nuff have... her nik it be Da Dairy Queen. An I dun-do a lot mo
>> n' seed em... try hard as I might could not get a lick o cocoa out her
>> milk cans... jus plain ol Carnation.
>>

> You were milking the wrong end.

No, he was diligently milking a bull. He DIDN'T get a "lick" of cocoa.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:07:14 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> I heat the milk to about 140 degrees and pour it into a cup that has
>> the cocoa, the sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
>>
>> Boron

>I nuke a large mug of milk (holds almost 2 measured cups) for 3.5
>minutes. I add about 1/2 to 1 tsp only of cocoa, and one packet fake
>sugar. I gave up on the salt long ago, but know it does bring out the
>flavor. It is a very milky tasting cocoa which is the perfect drink for
>when I get off work in the morning and am winding down reading RFC
>before bed.

I've got a couple of sample-size bottles of coconut rum languishing in
my kitchen cupboard. It's too cold here for pina coladas, so I haven't
known what to use them for.

Do you think a shot of coconut rum would be an appropriate addition to
hot cocoa?

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne wrote:

> I've got a couple of sample-size bottles of coconut rum languishing in
> my kitchen cupboard. It's too cold here for pina coladas, so I haven't
> known what to use them for.
>
> Do you think a shot of coconut rum would be an appropriate addition to
> hot cocoa?
>
> Jo Anne

Hmmmm... I would never have considered it before but I think you might
be on to something good here. Perhaps leave the cocoa out entirely.
Give it a shot and let me know? Has to be better than Ambien, eh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 2:57 pm, Jo Anne > wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:07:14 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
> >Boron Elgar wrote:

> >> I heat the milk to about 140 degrees and pour it into a cup that has
> >> the cocoa, the sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix well.

> >> Boron

> >I nuke a large mug of milk (holds almost 2 measured cups) for 3.5
> >minutes. I add about 1/2 to 1 tsp only of cocoa, and one packet fake
> >sugar. I gave up on the salt long ago, but know it does bring out the
> >flavor. It is a very milky tasting cocoa which is the perfect drink for
> >when I get off work in the morning and am winding down reading RFC
> >before bed.

> I've got a couple of sample-size bottles of coconut rum languishing in
> my kitchen cupboard. It's too cold here for pina coladas, so I haven't
> known what to use them for.
>
> Do you think a shot of coconut rum would be an appropriate addition to
> hot cocoa?
>
> Jo Anne

Add that and a little almond extract, and you have almond joy cocoa!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 8, 2:57 pm, Jo Anne > wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:07:14 -0500, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:

>> >I nuke a large mug of milk (holds almost 2 measured cups) for 3.5
>> >minutes. I add about 1/2 to 1 tsp only of cocoa, and one packet fake
>> >sugar. I gave up on the salt long ago, but know it does bring out the
>> >flavor. It is a very milky tasting cocoa which is the perfect drink for
>> >when I get off work in the morning and am winding down reading RFC
>> >before bed.

>> I've got a couple of sample-size bottles of coconut rum languishing in
>> my kitchen cupboard. It's too cold here for pina coladas, so I haven't
>> known what to use them for.
>>
>> Do you think a shot of coconut rum would be an appropriate addition to
>> hot cocoa?

I was thinking if you added a bit of marshmallow cream to it it would taste
like a candy bar.

Tori

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Actually a shot of Kalua is extremely nice.
Ed Warren

"Jo Anne" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:07:14 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
> >Boron Elgar wrote:
> >
> >> I heat the milk to about 140 degrees and pour it into a cup that has
> >> the cocoa, the sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
> >>
> >> Boron

> >I nuke a large mug of milk (holds almost 2 measured cups) for 3.5
> >minutes. I add about 1/2 to 1 tsp only of cocoa, and one packet fake
> >sugar. I gave up on the salt long ago, but know it does bring out the
> >flavor. It is a very milky tasting cocoa which is the perfect drink for
> >when I get off work in the morning and am winding down reading RFC
> >before bed.

> I've got a couple of sample-size bottles of coconut rum languishing in
> my kitchen cupboard. It's too cold here for pina coladas, so I haven't
> known what to use them for.
>
> Do you think a shot of coconut rum would be an appropriate addition to
> hot cocoa?
>
> Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
>whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
>cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
>between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
>into milk or water.

I, too prefer milk (non-fat, dry) and Dutch process cocoa powder -
usually Hershey's - sometimes with just a tad of cinnamon and tiny bit
of cayenne.

>The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
>cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is

The admonition against boiling is because if you over-do it, the milk
separates into "curds & whey" - clumps of white milk protein and
watery stuff

>often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
>boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
>beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
>seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
>carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.
>
>Does anyone else have this feeling as well?
>
>Thank you,
>Edward Warren

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Warren wrote:
> When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
> whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
> cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
> between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
> into milk or water.
>
> The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
> cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is
> often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
> boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
> beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
> seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
> carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.
>
> Does anyone else have this feeling as well?
>
> Thank you,
> Edward Warren

We do a combo version. But then again we usually make a pot of cocoa
though it can be reduced down to a cup size.

We put 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/4 cup sugar into a pot. Add 1/2 cup water.
Bring to a boil for one minute. It seems to really bubble up and melt or
cook the sugar. Then we pour in 4 cups whole milk and heat to 180
degrees. Just barely cool enough to drink. So our milk never gets near
the boil or overheat stage. In a cup you can do the 1 TBS. cocoa/sugar
and then just a splash of water in your cup. BOil in the microwave, fill
up cup with milk and nuke till 180 or just under boil.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>When I make a hot cholcolate beverage, my preference is HOT COCOA made with
>whole milk and Dutch process cocoa like Droste or Valrhona. I use 1 TBS of
>cocoa and 1 TBS sugar to a cup of milk. I do understand the difference
>between hot cocoa and hot chocolate which is made with bar chocolate melted
>into milk or water.

I, too prefer milk (non-fat, dry) and Dutch process cocoa powder -
usually Hershey's - sometimes with just a tad of cinnamon and tiny bit
of cayenne.

>The question I would like to see discussed is about boiling this mixture of
>cocoa, sugar, and milk. I often see admonitions against boiling. It is

The admonition against boiling is because if you over-do it, the milk
separates into "curds & whey" - clumps of white milk protein and
watery stuff

>often suggested that the milk just be heated up to some point shy of
>boiling. When I do this, there is a distinct milk note in the flavor of the
>beverage that distracts from the cocoa. I find that boiling it for 30 to 60
>seconds with the foam coming just to the top of the pot and stirring
>carefully makes the beverage more chocolatey and mellow tasting.
>
>Does anyone else have this feeling as well?
>
>Thank you,
>Edward Warren

Posted to rec.food.cooking