Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing milk

I try to get more food so I can make less trips to the grocery store.

When I freeze milk I thaw it out in the refrigerator. It takes 3 or 4
days to thaw like this.

Say I just put the milk in the freezer for one full day then take it
out and put in the refrigerator.

Does this extend the life one day or more?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I try to get more food so I can make less trips to the grocery store.
>
> When I freeze milk I thaw it out in the refrigerator. It takes 3 or 4
> days to thaw like this.
>
> Say I just put the milk in the freezer for one full day then take it
> out and put in the refrigerator.
>
> Does this extend the life one day or more?

I'm not at all sure how this will save you trips to the grocery store. Be
that as it may, just thaw it on the counter top until you can shake it. Mom
did this for years and years (and more years) and there wasn't a problem.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I try to get more food so I can make less trips to the grocery store.
>
> When I freeze milk I thaw it out in the refrigerator. It takes 3 or 4
> days to thaw like this.
>
> Say I just put the milk in the freezer for one full day then take it
> out and put in the refrigerator.
>
> Does this extend the life one day or more?

More, the colder the temperature the more it suppresses bacterial
growth. Freezing is a common thing done in dairies if they have a
surplus of processed milk.

If milk goes off fairly quickly in your fridge the box temperature
may not be low enough or the fridge may have issues.