Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food topic for discussion....

How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them (son "THE CHEF"
raids my pantry without asking all the time). I was making the Libby's
Pumpkin Pie recipes and knew I had evaporated milk.......couldn't find it
anywhere, while the trusty kitchenaid was whirring away in the background.
Found Taste of Thai cocoanut milk.......figured what the hell, and measured
out the given amount. They loved it......who'd thunk replacing evaporated
milk with cocoanut milk would make the piggies living here actually request
I make it again....
-ginny

Your turn, what have you substituted in a pinch? Discuss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Your turn, what have you substituted in a pinch? Discuss.

Only if you tell me how many marks this question is worth...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:06:34 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
>ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them

Oh, gosh, all the time, but I can't remember an episode off the top of
my head. Congrats on the pumpkin-pie success!

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
> ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them (son "THE CHEF"
> raids my pantry without asking all the time). I was making the Libby's
> Pumpkin Pie recipes and knew I had evaporated milk.......couldn't find it
> anywhere, while the trusty kitchenaid was whirring away in the background.
> Found Taste of Thai cocoanut milk.......figured what the hell, and

measured
> out the given amount. They loved it......who'd thunk replacing

evaporated
> milk with cocoanut milk would make the piggies living here actually

request
> I make it again....
> -ginny
>
> Your turn, what have you substituted in a pinch? Discuss.

Oh, gosh, it's hard to say. I wing it all the time!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
> ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them (son "THE
> CHEF" raids my pantry without asking all the time). I was making the
> Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipes and knew I had evaporated
> milk.......couldn't find it anywhere, while the trusty kitchenaid was
> whirring away in the background. Found Taste of Thai cocoanut
> milk.......figured what the hell, and measured out the given amount. They
> loved it......who'd thunk replacing evaporated milk with
> cocoanut milk would make the piggies living here actually request I
> make it again.... -ginny

Way to go, Ginny. I'm also impressed that you had a can of coconut milk
available to substitute with. I'm going to have to give that a try
sometime.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
> ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them (son "THE CHEF"
> raids my pantry without asking all the time). I was making the Libby's
> Pumpkin Pie recipes and knew I had evaporated milk.......couldn't find it
> anywhere, while the trusty kitchenaid was whirring away in the background.
> Found Taste of Thai cocoanut milk.......figured what the hell, and
> measured out the given amount. They loved it......who'd thunk replacing
> evaporated milk with cocoanut milk would make the piggies living here
> actually request I make it again....

Dang near daily. Luckily the one thing my Mama taught us is making our
common items a multitude of ways because sometimes at the end of the
paycheck you just had to make do with what you had.

Cindi

> -ginny
>
> Your turn, what have you substituted in a pinch? Discuss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> Your turn, what have you substituted in a pinch? Discuss.

Standing joke in our house. My wife says she is making tacos. Do we
have any shells? No. Hard to substitute.

Standing joke in our house. We were about 20. My wife is mushing this
plastic thing of taco sauce. I ask her not to, about three times. She
says it isn't a problem. Poof! It's all over me. It hurts. I live a
mile away, and have no transportation other than my feet. We are now
about three times older. I don't forget.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> > How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
> > ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them (son "THE CHEF"
> > raids my pantry without asking all the time). I was making the Libby's
> > Pumpkin Pie recipes and knew I had evaporated milk.......couldn't find it
> > anywhere, while the trusty kitchenaid was whirring away in the background.
> > Found Taste of Thai cocoanut milk.......figured what the hell, and

> measured
> > out the given amount. They loved it......who'd thunk replacing

> evaporated
> > milk with cocoanut milk would make the piggies living here actually

> request
> > I make it again....
> > -ginny
> >
> > Your turn, what have you substituted in a pinch? Discuss.
> >

> Oh, gosh, it's hard to say. I wing it all the time!
>
> kili

Ditto here... I've done it more times than I can count!

Coconut milk for pie sounds divine. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
> ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them (son "THE CHEF"
> raids my pantry without asking all the time).

I recently made a HUGE pot of tomato sauce with good Italian sausage.
Probably 20 quarts or so in one huge batch. I barely have any left in
the freezer because boychild comes home with a bunch of his fraternity
brothers and they cook and eat (or is that *I* cooked, and they reheat,
lol). He'll bring all these guys over to cook and eat, yet when I
suggest they hit the hot tub my son acts like "ewwwwww mom.. guys don't
hot tub together" yet they do apparently cook together. Does that make
sense? I enjoy having them here. Well, I have to share that one night
one of the guys came over and they raided my asparagus to go with
whatever else they made. He made the best asparagus I've ever eaten just
by sauteeing the whole spears in butter and drizzling it with lemon
juice. It was out of this world! When I do asparagus in a pan I have
always used olive oil, and sliced it in one inch sections on a bias,
seasoning it with salt and pepper. His was wonderfully refreshing,
bright green, cooked al dente. I've been buying a lot of asparagus at
Sam's Club lately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan wrote:

>> Your turn, what have you substituted in a pinch? Discuss.

> Standing joke in our house. My wife says she is making tacos. Do we
> have any shells? No. Hard to substitute.
>
> Standing joke in our house. We were about 20. My wife is mushing this
> plastic thing of taco sauce. I ask her not to, about three times. She
> says it isn't a problem. Poof! It's all over me. It hurts. I live a
> mile away, and have no transportation other than my feet. We are now
> about three times older. I don't forget.

So the phrase "in a pinch" was taken LITERALLY!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:
>Your turn, what have you substituted in a pinch? Discuss.

I substituted crab cakes for crab salad because I lost
my desire to have crab salad.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:06:34 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
>ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them (son "THE CHEF"
>raids my pantry without asking all the time). I was making the Libby's
>Pumpkin Pie recipes and knew I had evaporated milk.......couldn't find it
>anywhere, while the trusty kitchenaid was whirring away in the background.
>Found Taste of Thai cocoanut milk.......figured what the hell, and measured
>out the given amount. They loved it......

>ho'd thunk replacing evaporated
>milk with cocoanut milk would make the piggies living here actually request
>I make it again....

Anybody who had any understanding of cooking and wasn't bound to
recipes would.
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cape Cod Bob" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:06:34 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>>How many have started out making something you KNOW you bought the
>>ingredients for and then found out you didn't have them (son "THE CHEF"
>>raids my pantry without asking all the time). I was making the Libby's
>>Pumpkin Pie recipes and knew I had evaporated milk.......couldn't find it
>>anywhere, while the trusty kitchenaid was whirring away in the background.
>>Found Taste of Thai cocoanut milk.......figured what the hell, and
>>measured
>>out the given amount. They loved it......

>>ho'd thunk replacing evaporated
>>milk with cocoanut milk would make the piggies living here actually
>>request
>>I make it again....

> Anybody who had any understanding of cooking and wasn't bound to
> recipes would.
> Cape Cod Bob

I never use evaporated milk in pumpkin pie anyway. I think it tastes
strange. I use half and half.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock wrote:

> I never use evaporated milk in pumpkin pie anyway. I think it tastes
> strange. I use half and half.

I usually just use whole milk in pumpkin pies, they always turn out great.