Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default braised beef brisket in merlot and cinnamon.

Well might as well call a crockpot braising. Throwing the meat in frozen
didn't seem to effect the flavour and saved me some time, as I had
forgotten to take it out last night.

I chucked a sliced up onion in the crockpot, then about 1 cup of merlot.

Put the frozen (roughly 2.5 lb) chunk of brisket on top of the onions,
Sprinkled in a fair bit of black pepper, some italian hrb mix, a bit of
crushed red peppers, some celery seed and cinnamon. on top of the brisket I
put another onion all sliced up. Selected 7 hours on high and put the lid
on.

After about 5 hours I threw in some grape tomatoes and sliced mushrooms.

Very good...I've never tried cinnamon with beef before. Served it with a
brocoli cauliflower mixed veggies. The brisket just needed some salt...I
should have added some while cooking it.

Got some Wisconsin apple butter delivered to me thru my son's live in
girlfriend's mom...so I see some applebutter BBQ sauce in my future.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> Well might as well call a crockpot braising. Throwing the meat in frozen
> didn't seem to effect the flavour and saved me some time, as I had
> forgotten to take it out last night.
>

> I chucked a sliced up onion in the crockpot, then about 1 cup of merlot.
>
> Put the frozen (roughly 2.5 lb) chunk of brisket on top of the onions,
> Sprinkled in a fair bit of black pepper, some italian hrb mix, a bit of
> crushed red peppers, some celery seed and cinnamon. on top of the brisket I
> put another onion all sliced up. Selected 7 hours on high and put the lid
> on.
>
> After about 5 hours I threw in some grape tomatoes and sliced mushrooms.
>
> Very good...I've never tried cinnamon with beef before. Served it with a
> brocoli cauliflower mixed veggies. The brisket just needed some salt...I
> should have added some while cooking it.
>
> Got some Wisconsin apple butter delivered to me thru my son's live in
> girlfriend's mom...so I see some applebutter BBQ sauce in my future.

A smidgen of cinnamon can be interesting in a lot of dishes.
I nearly always use it in any Mexican dishes, or red Italian sauces.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:02:24 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>

> > Very good...I've never tried cinnamon with beef before.

> A pinch of cinnamon is great with braised beef as are cloves. IMO it has
> to be just the amount that does not stand up and say "cinnamon is here." My
> favorite recipe for *swinging tenderloin*..aka ox tails includes cloves. I
> also add a touch of cinnamon to chili along with some chocolate, coffee,
> cola, worcestershire and soy sauce.
>
> jay

Now that's wild!

I do use cocoa powder in chili, but not coffee.
I have used coffee as a liquid for beef recipes in crockpot or pressure
cooker.

It's been rare tho' as I personally no longer drink coffee (for health
reasons). I may have to start saving some of the leftover coffee from
work and freezing it, as long as I know how long it's been sitting.

I think I'd pass on the cola, altho' I understand it's a great
tenderizer.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.