Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mr. Thorson, the Credibility Committee would like to see you...

In view of your erroneous assertion that there is such a
thing as "food-grade" butane and propane fuels, the
committee has assessed you 11 Incredibility Points. It would
have been less, but your firm insistence without checking
any reliable sources - or even the company whose products
you were discussing - raised it to that level.

Your characterizing Mr. Pastorio as a liar when in fact, he
was not doing so cost you another 13 Points, for two
reasons: First you knew full well that he wasn't lying, and
that is, itself, a lie merely designed to cause distress.
And, second, you offered it as a sneaky, blind-side attack.

Your insistence that only one BernzOmatic product didn't
carry the California warning is either a lie for the sake of
"winning' an argument, or an example of not doing even the
most basic of checks to determine accuracy. In either case,
it has a dishonest overtone that the Committee said should
cost you an additional 18 Points.

The most egregious of your faux-pas was to leap to the
unwarranted and unchecked insistence that because the butane
lighter (not a propane torch) didn't carry the California
warning, it somehow had different properties than other such
products. The fact that there is no separate MSDS as
required by regulation for it, you chose to ignore and
evade. The fact that you were told that BernzOmatic said
they had no "food-grade" fuels made no difference - and you
didn't check to determine the accuracy of the report. You
didn't just say the product was different, you strenuously
and repeatedly asserted that the butane had no "heavy ends"
in it and was therefore free of carcinogenic properties. You
made that statement with no evidence and only the deduction
of your faulty reasoning, based on missing facts which you
didn't try to check. This one cost you 54 Points because the
reality was only a phone call away - to BernzOmatic customer
service - and you didn't avail yourself of the opportunity
to get the correct information.

As you should know, when Credibility Points reach 40, all
further statements should carry a reference to another
source. When they reach 55, they should carry a reference to
a known authority. When they reach 75, they need the
authority and a way to contact them for corroboration. As no
one has ever before surpassed 90 points, the Committee is at
somewhat of a loss to deal with this situation. Members are
divided about how to handle it. Some have suggested that you
need to document everything except your name, while others
want proof of that, as well. Some think your posts should
appear in a special color, perhaps a brilliant mauve, as a
signal that all might not be regular and credible about this
note. Still others think you should henceforward always sign
your posts "Mark Thorson 96CP" so everyone will know
automatically not to believe anything and to suspect
ulterior motive for everything.

The Committee adjourned after unsuccessfully trying to make
a Creme Brulee crust with the BernzOmatic Lighter because
the flame wasn't intense enough to melt enough sugar to
actually create a crust in a 4" souffle bowl. Before
adjourning, two members thought it would be reasonable to
assess you another 25 Points, but that missed carrying by
one vote out of 55. You barely dodged that bullet.

Words to the wise...

The Credibility Committee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You two are getting very tiresome.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> You two are getting very tiresome.
>

> Brian

<shocked look>

You are actually still reading that thread?????
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message

> You two are getting very tiresome.

Getting? My God, but you are generous!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> >
> > You two are getting very tiresome.
> >

> Getting? My God, but you are generous!

<cough>

I'm going to bed... That ended my day nicely!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mr. Pastorio, you are a LIAR and a COWARD

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> Your characterizing Mr. Pastorio as a liar when in fact, he
> was not doing so cost you another 13 Points, for two
> reasons: First you knew full well that he wasn't lying, and
> that is, itself, a lie merely designed to cause distress.
> And, second, you offered it as a sneaky, blind-side attack.

Did you not post the following (quoted in its entirety)
on Monday?

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > The facts are that a) this product produces a blue cone
> > of flame indicating a temperature certainly high
> > enough to carmelize anything that is carmelizable,
> > and b) its fuel does not contain the hazards which
> > would require the State of California warning that
> > Bernomatic's other propane- and butane-fuelled are
> > required to carry.

> *NONE* of BernzOmatic's products carry that warning. Only
> the MSDS mentions it.
>
> > This is a product which is free of carcinogens.

> <LOL> A lighter to caramelize foods. Bwah...
>
> BernzOmatic's customer service people say that the fuel for
> this is their standard product.
>
> Pastorio

I'm aware you've already given a garbled
explanation for this, but here's your chance
to give a clear version of how your posting
can possibly be truthful, given that I've
already posted scanned images of a Bernzomatic
product that has the State of California warning
to alt.binaries.food.

In your more recent postings, you seem to be
trying to make a distinction between a "product"
and "fuel", but in the last sentence I quoted
above, you don't seem to be doing that.

Can you be more clear about this? In what
sense is your statement that "*NONE* of
BernzOmatic's products carry that warning."
not contradicted by the images I posted?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > You two are getting very tiresome.
> >

> > Brian

> <shocked look>
>
> You are actually still reading that thread?????

It looked like a new one to me. I haven't really been reading the group
to carefully as I've had a nasty cold since last week.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Default User" > said:
> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Default User" > wrote:

> > > You two are getting very tiresome.

> > <shocked look>
> >
> > You are actually still reading that thread?????

> It looked like a new one to me. I haven't really been reading the group
> to carefully as I've had a nasty cold since last week.

Sorry to hear that, Brian -- get better soon!

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jan 2007 21:20:49 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Default User" > wrote:
>>
>> > You two are getting very tiresome.

>> > Brian

>> <shocked look>
>>
>> You are actually still reading that thread?????

>It looked like a new one to me. I haven't really been reading the group
>to carefully as I've had a nasty cold since last week.
>
>Brian

I'm alternating between this and Donald v. Rosie.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
> You two are getting very tiresome.

I'm sure we are. But this - which you obviously didn't read
- wasn't anything like the previous posts. Take a look. You
might even get a grin.

Hope springs eternal.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default <LOL> Thorson goes round the bend...WAS: Mr. Pastorio, you area LIAR and a COWARD

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" wrote:
>> Your characterizing Mr. Pastorio as a liar when in fact, he
>> was not doing so cost you another 13 Points, for two
>> reasons: First you knew full well that he wasn't lying, and
>> that is, itself, a lie merely designed to cause distress.
>> And, second, you offered it as a sneaky, blind-side attack.

So it wasn't a blind-side attack? And your statement was
truthful that I had lied about there not being a food-grade
torch?

Did you demonstrate that there is a "food-grade" torch?

These are your words:
"The last time this came up, one of the lies that Bob
Pastorio tried to float was that you couldn't buy a
food-grade torch."

Did you demonstrate there is a "food-grade" torch?

No. You didn't. No. You can't. No. There isn't one.

> Did you not post the following (quoted in its entirety)
> on Monday?
>
>> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>> The facts are that a) this product produces a blue cone
>>> of flame indicating a temperature certainly high
>>> enough to carmelize anything that is carmelizable,
>>> and b) its fuel does not contain the hazards which
>>> would require the State of California warning that
>>> Bernomatic's other propane- and butane-fuelled are
>>> required to carry.

>> *NONE* of BernzOmatic's products carry that warning. Only
>> the MSDS mentions it.
>>
>>> This is a product which is free of carcinogens.

This "free of carcinogens" lie is a Mark Thorson invention
borne out by no supporting information and directly
contradicted by BernzOmatic customer service people. A
demonstrable lie.

Making up things and trying to get people to believe them is
lying.

>> <LOL> A lighter to caramelize foods. Bwah...
>>
>> BernzOmatic's customer service people say that the fuel for
>> this is their standard product.
>>
>> Pastorio

> I'm aware you've already given a garbled
> explanation for this,

Nice try sludgewit, but your shabbiness continues.
Excerpting as you do so you can slime your way to still
defending a clearly false position is exactly what I have
come to know and love about you. My *continued* explanations
detailed it very clearly, as you certainly know.

How garbled is "BernzOmatic's customer service people say
that the fuel for this is their standard product" on Planet
Thorson? Does that not say that the lighter and the fuel are
being considered differently? Is that too complex for you?

> but here's your chance
> to give a clear version of how your posting
> can possibly be truthful, given that I've
> already posted scanned images of a Bernzomatic
> product that has the State of California warning
> to alt.binaries.food.

Poor dishonest Marky can't seem to get his quotations in order.

I said on Monday:
"*NO* BernzOmatic products carry the California warning.
Period. They all use the same, unaltered fuels. Period."

> In your more recent postings, you seem to be
> trying to make a distinction between a "product"
> and "fuel", but in the last sentence I quoted
> above, you don't seem to be doing that.

Of course not, And you could offer hundreds more that don['t
do it. Because that wasn't the sentence that offered the
idea. The one I just quoted made that clear enough to
everybody but you. This one: "*NO* BernzOmatic products
carry the California warning. Period. They all use the same,
unaltered fuels. Period."

> Can you be more clear about this? In what
> sense is your statement that "*NONE* of
> BernzOmatic's products carry that warning."
> not contradicted by the images I posted?

The distinction is clear enough when you get a 12-year-old
to parse the sentences above.
They say (clearly) "*NO* BernzOmatic products carry the
California warning. Period." Which *could* include
everything under the BernzOmatic label. Until you reach the
next sentence, which says, "They all use the same, unaltered
fuels. Period."

See...? No, I'm sure you don't.

And I notice you had nothing to say to this:
*NONE* of the BernzOmatic products had the California
warning on them. *NONE* of the other similar products from
other companies had the California warning on them, either.
Not for propane, butane or MAPP gas. The cylinders
themselves, of course, were so labeled.

So, in addition to your toy lighter, here are a few more
BernzOmatic products without California warnings. They were
all packaged in transparent plastic with fuel cylinder and
attachments:
Basic Use Kit TS3000KC
Basic use Plumber's Kit - PK1001KC
Basic Use - Quickfire - TS3000KC
Power Cell - 94477
3-in-1 Micro torch - ST2200T - butane

I also noted that the ubiquitous, red Bic fire lighter had
no California warning anywhere on the package.

I guess they must all be made with "food-grade" fuels.

I'm still wondering why you won't call BernzOmatic customer
service and ask them instead of all your unfounded guesses,
wishful conjectures and outright lies.

> My explanation is that they are not flouting the law.
> The Flexible Utility Lighter is totally legal and safe.
> The generic butane MSDS does not apply to this product.

Your explanation is bullshit. By law, the company *must*
publish an appropriate MSDS for all such products. They have.

Your explanation is dust in the wind, moron.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pastorio's Fallacious Defense

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> And I notice you had nothing to say to this:
> *NONE* of the BernzOmatic products had the California
> warning on them. *NONE* of the other similar products from
> other companies had the California warning on them, either.
> Not for propane, butane or MAPP gas. The cylinders
> themselves, of course, were so labeled.

In what sense is a gas cylinder not a product?
The one I have has a UPC bar code on it.
UPC stands for "Universal Product Code".
It is a product. And it has the State of
California warning on it. Both the UPC
and the warning can be seen in the images
I posted to alt.binaries.food.

Is this how you defend yourself?
By redefining "product" to exclude
anything that exposes your words
as false? That is transparent nonsense,
but typical of you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> In what sense is a gas cylinder not a product?
> The one I have has a UPC bar code on it.
> UPC stands for "Universal Product Code".
> It is a product. And it has the State of
> California warning on it. Both the UPC
> and the warning can be seen in the images

Oh for crying out loud Mark. Have you not made a big enough ass
of yourself on this one.

Last year you warned someone to make sure that when caramelizing
the sugar on their creme brulee that they use food grade
propane. That was absolute nonsense because there is no food
grade propane fuel. Period. You were given the opportunity to
provide proof of food grade propane but failed to do so. That did
not surprise us because there is no such thing, so we really
didn't expect you to find it.

Then you came back the the other day saying that Pastorio had
lied when he said one cannot buy a food grade torch. You
provided a link to a product and added that the product does not
contain the carcinogenic "heavy ends" found in other propane and
butane products. The product advertised in that link is not a
propane torch. It is a butane lighter. The MSDS linked to it is
for the Bernzomatic MSDS on the butane it sells, and it clearly
indicates a warning about carcinogenic chemicals in the fuel and
its by-products.

You lied when you said cited it as proof that there is a food
grade propane torch.
You lied about it not containing carcinogenic chemicals.
You may have lied about not having a link to the MSDS for the
company's butane, though your recent comments lead me to accept
that you were simply to dumb to follow them.
You then started another thread where you accused Bob of lying,
and I cannot understand how you how lame it is to fabricate
nonsense to as some sort of proof about someone else lying.
You have steadfastly denied that the MSDS for Bernzomatic butane
gas applies to their butane gas refills without offering any
proof that they have a special refining process for those little
lighter refills.
You have been given ample opportunity to find a cite to prove
that food grade butane or propane is available.

> Is this how you defend yourself?
> By redefining "product" to exclude
> anything that exposes your words
> as false? That is transparent nonsense,
> but typical of you.

there is No need to redefine "product", but we may find ourselves
in the position of having to redefine "stupid" and move the
standard down low enough to include you if you keep this up.

Never mind trying to insult Bob's character. For crying out loud,
have the good sense to find proof that food grade propane is
available or admit that you were wrong. Of course, you have made
it obvious through your lies and allegations that we should not
expect you to be man enough to admit your error, but you could at
least shut up about it and try to save a little bit of dignity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> You lied about it not containing carcinogenic chemicals.

That's absolutely untrue. If it had such chemicals
it would be required in California to have the
State of California warning. The Flexible Utility
Lighter does not have that warning. Therefore,
you can be sure there are no such carcinogens in
the fuel of that product (at least not enough to
pose a significant risk of cancer over a lifetime
of exposure, which is the standard written into
the law). The law in California has a penalty of
up to $2500 a day per violation.

> You may have lied about not having a link to the MSDS for the
> company's butane, though your recent comments lead me to accept
> that you were simply to dumb to follow them.

You yourself found a direct link from the web page
for the BF9 refill to the butane MSDS. That is a
product for which the MSDS applies, and it has the
State of California warning on it. There is no such
direct link from the web page for the Flexible
Utility Lighter, and therefore no reason to believe
it applies.

And it's not just the BF9. Here's the web page for
a propane torch kit. Go there, and you'll see a
direct link to its MSDS. That's true of every product
on the Bernzomatic web site for which an MSDS applies.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/bernzomat...rnzoProd100070

You're just grasping at straws to deny this, because
it's the only defense you've got.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

....snip

I did a check on google and couldn't find anything on food grade propane or
butane. I also didn't find anything under food grade gases, although I found
this at
http://www.linde-gas.com/internation...ias/nav_biogon

"The gas properties and the interaction of gases with the food ingredients,
e.g. solubility in the foodstuff, should be taken into account when choosing
the gas or gas composition. We supply food-grade CO2, N2, and O2 along with
other gases authorized for foodstuffs as individual gases in cylinders under
high pressure, liquids in insulated tanks for subsequent mixing at the
packaging machine, and premixed."

"Food-grade gases" are defined as gases used as a processing aid and/or
additive in order to ensure that standards are complied with. Our food-grade
gases conform with "food-grade" regulations, e.g. the EC directive 96/77/EC
on food additives within EU countries and the FDA guidelines in the U.S."

I also called our propane dealer who supplies our commercial kitchen site
and asked if there was such a thing as "food grade" propane. The answer was
an unequivocal no.

Since you don't use propane or butane as an additive or to process food, or
as a treatment for illness, it makes sense that there is no such thing as
"food grade" propane or butane.

So, is there anything that states a USDA or FDA or EU standard for "food
grade" propane or butane? Any website of a company that manufactures "food
grade" propane or butane? The easiest way to end this argument is for those
who support the notion that there is such a product or specification to
produce it. If such can't be produced then it is reasonable to say that
there is no such thing as "food grade" propane or butane.

Ob food: After eating brussel sprouts, I have been known to produce "food
grade" methane.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> a propane torch kit. Go there, and you'll see a

ObFood: Make some whipped cream. Stick the torch in (only food grade of
course) and bubble some propane in. Serve on some cake.

[Note: may cause gas]

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No defense needed WAS: Pastorio's Fallacious Defense

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> You lied about it not containing carcinogenic chemicals.

> That's absolutely untrue.

You lied about it. No proof. No evidence, especially not
from BernzOmatic, who should know. And they do. A customer
service rep of the company said that they use conventional
fuels for all their products. None of them is "food-grade."
Call them for yourself. I've posted the number enough times
for you to get it. I got it off their web page.

> If it had such chemicals
> it would be required in California to have the
> State of California warning. The Flexible Utility
> Lighter does not have that warning.

Neither do a few more BernzOmatic products without
California warnings. They are all packaged in transparent
plastic with fuel cylinder and attachments:
Basic Use Kit TS3000KC
Basic use Plumber's Kit - PK1001KC
Basic Use - Quickfire - TS3000KC
Power Cell - 94477
3-in-1 Micro torch - ST2200T - butane

I also noted that the ubiquitous, red Bic fire lighter had
no California warning anywhere on the package.

The lighter is rechargeable. None of BernzOmatic's
rechargeable products have the California warning. Only the
fuel cylinders do.

> Therefore,
> you can be sure there are no such carcinogens in
> the fuel of that product (at least not enough to
> pose a significant risk of cancer over a lifetime
> of exposure, which is the standard written into
> the law).

Nope. No evidence in offer. You want your words to carry the
day and you're too dense to contact BernzoMatic directly to
settle the question. You insist on your demonstrably flawed
logic based on false premises - and you're dead wrong.

BernzOmatic says you're wrong. Go argue with them.

> The law in California has a penalty of
> up to $2500 a day per violation.
>
>> You may have lied about not having a link to the MSDS for the
>> company's butane, though your recent comments lead me to accept
>> that you were simply to dumb to follow them.

> You yourself found a direct link from the web page
> for the BF9 refill to the butane MSDS. That is a
> product for which the MSDS applies, and it has the
> State of California warning on it. There is no such
> direct link from the web page for the Flexible
> Utility Lighter, and therefore no reason to believe
> it applies.

The Lighter isn't yet in full distribution, Only available
limitedly. But before it can be sold at all, there must be
an MSDS - and there is. Look at their butane sheet.The fact
that you can't find a distinct MSDS for the fuel means that
they use butane to refill it and the butane already has a
MSDS, nothing new needed.

What say you about all those other BernzOmatic products
without a California warning?

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thorson's lack of information WAS: Pastorio's Fallacious Defense

Mark Thorson wrote:

I bet you think that BernzOmatic processes their own
propane. Right? I bet that you think that everything with
their brand name on it is made by them. Right? Employees
hammering out metallic things, sticking them in plastic
packaging and heat-welding them shut...?

The lighter is made in China. The fuel is packed in that
cute little yellow container in China. The fuel refills are
not available as a separate purchase in the U.S. yet, and
won't be until the end of the month according to "Crystal" a
customer service rep at BernzOmatic. She said to try Walmart
in a few weeks. You might just want to ask the people from
BernzOmatic about it instead of wildly conjecturing. And
being so wrong.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A gas cylinder is a product WAS: Pastorio's Fallacious Defense

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" wrote:
>> And I notice you had nothing to say to this:
>> *NONE* of the BernzOmatic products had the California
>> warning on them. *NONE* of the other similar products from
>> other companies had the California warning on them, either.
>> Not for propane, butane or MAPP gas. The cylinders
>> themselves, of course, were so labeled.

> In what sense is a gas cylinder not a product?

Mark, a gas cylinder is a product. I'm my original statement
which I've tried to translate into Thorson-speak several
times, I apparently haven't been able to make it simple
enough. In the interests of a wild curiosity to see if you
can grasp this, I hereby concede that I didn't write with
perfect, uninterpretable clarity. And I apologize for that.

I was trying to create a parallel with your assertion that
the packaging of the Lighter didn't carry the warning by
citing *all other* fuel-using products. Alas, my diction was
imperfect.

A gas cylinder is a product. You are correct in that statement.

But that doesn't negate the simple fact that *only* the
cylinders carry the California warning. The BernzOmatic
products that use fuel cylinders aren't so marked.
Competitive products from other companies also lack that
warning.

What is your conclusion from that series of facts?

> The one I have has a UPC bar code on it.
> UPC stands for "Universal Product Code".
> It is a product. And it has the State of
> California warning on it. Both the UPC
> and the warning can be seen in the images
> I posted to alt.binaries.food.
>
> Is this how you defend yourself?

I don't need to defend myself. Have you forgotten that you
began all this with your insane business about "food-grade"
propane and have continued it to this Lighter, asserting
that it's got a non-carcinogenic fuel because the packaging
doesn't carry a California warning?

Are you going to continue to evade dealing with the other
products that I specifically sited with no California
warning on them? Are you going to insist that they, too,
have this non-carcinogenic fuel?

> By redefining "product" to exclude
> anything that exposes your words
> as false? That is transparent nonsense,
> but typical of you.

Of course you have to say that, there's nothing else left.
No evidence for food-grade fuels. Period.

<LOL> I certainly hope you don't actually imagine that you
have somehow made your case for food-grade fuels. Here's a
sad, sad reality for you. No matter how wrong or right I
might be about any facet, trivial or large, you have offered
no substantive evidence for the existence of a food-grade
fuel. Period. Period. It's all based on your mistaken belief
that only the lighter has no California warning, and that it
somehow signals a non-carcinogenic fuel. Both plainly false
assumptions.

You haven't contacted the best source of all - the
manufacturer. You're still trying to make a phony assertion
stand in the face of demolishing counter-information from
*all* other posters. Nope.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Default User wrote:
>>> You two are getting very tiresome.

>> I'm sure we are. But this - which you obviously didn't read - wasn't
>> anything like the previous posts. Take a look. You might even get a
>> grin.

> I don't think there's anything either of you could do right now after
> your behavior that would make the least amused. And no, I won't bother
> reading it.
> Brian

I prostrate myself before your perfection.

No, seriously...

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > You two are getting very tiresome.

> I'm sure we are. But this - which you obviously didn't read - wasn't
> anything like the previous posts. Take a look. You might even get a
> grin.

I don't think there's anything either of you could do right now after
your behavior that would make the least amused. And no, I won't bother
reading it.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> One time on Usenet, "Default User" > said:
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > <shocked look>
> > >
> > > You are actually still reading that thread?????

> > It looked like a new one to me. I haven't really been reading the
> > group to carefully as I've had a nasty cold since last week.

> Sorry to hear that, Brian -- get better soon!

Mostly there. My ears are stopped up, but nose is clear and chest
almost.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > You lied about it not containing carcinogenic chemicals.

> That's absolutely untrue. If it had such chemicals
> it would be required in California to have the
> State of California warning.

That's nice, but we aren't in California and I won't bother
discussing California law with it because I am not versed in the
law and you display an incredible deficit of logic. Your claim
was that Pastorio had lied about there not being a food grade
propane torch but you had found on. The food grade torch that you
linked to was not a food grade torch. It was a butane lighter.
The company's MSDS for the fuels all say that they contain
chemicals that the state of California believes to be
carcinogenic. There is nothing at all to say they are food grade,
but you claimed that they did not have the carcinogens found in
other propane products. You have been unable to provide a cite
for that and most of us are well aware that the reason you cannot
provide a cite for it is that you lied when made that claim. You
simply made it up.

> > You may have lied about not having a link to the MSDS for

the
> > company's butane, though your recent comments lead me to accept
> > that you were simply to dumb to follow them.

> You yourself found a direct link from the web page
> for the BF9 refill to the butane MSDS. That is a
> product for which the MSDS applies, and it has the
> State of California warning on it. There is no such
> direct link from the web page for the Flexible
> Utility Lighter, and therefore no reason to believe
> it applies.

The MSDS sheets apply to the propane and butane. If it has butane
it gets the butane MSDS. If it has propane it gets the propane
MSDS. There is no MSDS for food grade fuels so there is no reason
to think that they use a different food grade fuel.

> And it's not just the BF9. Here's the web page for
> a propane torch kit. Go there, and you'll see a
> direct link to its MSDS. That's true of every product
> on the Bernzomatic web site for which an MSDS applies.
>
> http://www.bernzomatic.com/bernzomat...rnzoProd100070

Well Bravo..... it is the same MSDS that they use for all their
propane products. I might have been more impressed with your
argument if the MSDS indicated that it was a food grade food.
However, I trust you noted that the brochure boasts that you can
use it to strip pain, thaw copper pipes, loosen rusted bolts,
strip paint and "Even top off the perfect creme brulee.

> You're just grasping at straws to deny this, because
> it's the only defense you've got.

The only defence you have at this point is the insanity clause.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Default User wrote:

> > I don't think there's anything either of you could do right now
> > after your behavior that would make the least amused. And no, I
> > won't bother reading it.
> > Brian

> I prostrate myself before your perfection.

You really don't get it, do you?

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> You guys are going to be the poster children for the "Save the Morons"
> foundation.

How first charitable act will be to teach morons how to filter
topics or, even easier, skip messages.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Default User wrote:

>>> I don't think there's anything either of you could do right now
>>> after your behavior that would make the least amused. And no, I
>>> won't bother reading it.
>>> Brian

>> I prostrate myself before your perfection.

> You really don't get it, do you?

Of course I do, Brian. But we see the world very
differently. This is an explanation, not a challenge, not an
invitation to duel.

You assume that your pursed-lip condemnation should be
important to me. And that some unstated standard of behavior
acceptable to you is how I should comport myself. That
somehow, it seems, the form of the behavior is more
important than the content. Perhaps that I shouldn't
strenuously reply to moronic attacks, turning my restrained
shoulders away and walk a different path. That list is no
more likely to happen than for you to suddenly adopt my way
of being and doing.

You appear to think that heated contest is somehow
unsanitary, perhaps unseemly. And it might well be in
certain quarters. But this is an unfettered arena where
Sheldon can freely dispense his insane hatreds and
error-filled twaddle. A "venue" with few of the civilizing
elements that meatspace demands, so PVC can spew
stomach-wrenching vulgarities. And where people like Mark
can post scurrilous, unmerited attacks. There are several
choices in dealing with these sorts of events and actions.
My choice has sometimes been to wade in with sneers and
facts and lay waste the erroneous assertions - and the
person behind them, particularly when aimed at me directly,
as this latest electronic conflagration. Other times - most
times - let it ride.

Yes, I know, crude behavior. Yet it's all electrons on
screens. No bloodshed, no body bags, no families trying to
repair the slash in their fabric of life. The only
demolition is to external views of the posters involved.

And there's one other facet of it all. You are under no
obligation to watch any of it. It's as easy as filtering it
out of the incoming. Clearly you disapprove of some
components of this latest fiasco with Thorson - I don't know
which elements distress you. Perhaps just the general
"noise" level. Or the contempt dripping from the posts. Or
the rather straightforward combat. Or that it casts ripples
around this serene pond (that's soft sarcasm). I don't know
- exactly - what you want or don't want because you haven't
actually said.

I'm sorry that it causes you discomfort.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pastorio's Fallacious Attribution

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> I bet you think that BernzOmatic processes their own
> propane. Right? I bet that you think that everything with
> their brand name on it is made by them. Right? Employees
> hammering out metallic things, sticking them in plastic
> packaging and heat-welding them shut...?

I didn't write that. Don't be ascribing words to me
that I didn't write, no matter how convenient you find
it to be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > "Bob (this one)" wrote:
> >> And I notice you had nothing to say to this:
> >> *NONE* of the BernzOmatic products had the California
> >> warning on them. *NONE* of the other similar products from
> >> other companies had the California warning on them, either.
> >> Not for propane, butane or MAPP gas. The cylinders
> >> themselves, of course, were so labeled.

> > In what sense is a gas cylinder not a product?

> Mark, a gas cylinder is a product.

Great! We're making progress here.
You now admit that a gas cylinder is a product.

Now, how do you reconcile that with your
statement that:

> *NONE* of BernzOmatic's products carry that warning.

I posted images of the Bernzomatic BF9 refill
to alt.binaries.food, which show that it is
marked with the State of California warning.

Did you see those images? Do you deny that
they show that the product is marked with
the warning?

You are not being consistent. Did you learn
nothing from Henry Kissinger's advice on
telling the truth?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A > wrote in message
[snip typical Peter-A braying of assinine proportion]

Escaped my filters again. You have less appeal than the more-obvious
rfc troll.

The Ranger
--
My day is not complete unless I've made some deserving asshole stamp
his feet, turn blue in the face, and shout, "Drop dead, you bitch!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" wrote:
>> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>> I bet you think that BernzOmatic processes their own
>> propane. Right? I bet that you think that everything with
>> their brand name on it is made by them. Right? Employees
>> hammering out metallic things, sticking them in plastic
>> packaging and heat-welding them shut...?

> I didn't write that. Don't be ascribing words to me
> that I didn't write, no matter how convenient you find
> it to be.

Jayzus, Thorson. Have you no sense at all of hyperbole? Do
you see any quotation marks in there? Do you see any
statements of attribution? Get a grip. Understand?

Rhetorical question...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" wrote:
>> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>> In what sense is a gas cylinder not a product?

>> Mark, a gas cylinder is a product.

> Great! We're making progress here.
> You now admit that a gas cylinder is a product.
>
> Now, how do you reconcile that with your
> statement that:
>
>> *NONE* of BernzOmatic's products carry that warning.

Mark, quit being such a simple ****wit. In the post to which
you replied, and which you edited severely enough to remove
the explanation, it's laid out. Explained. Detailed. This
diversionary smokescreen does you no good.

But the important part is the evidence you're supposed to be
offering about food-grade fuels.

Where is it?

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fuel for THE lighter explained WAS: A gas cylinder is a product

Mark Thorson wrote:

> I posted images of the Bernzomatic BF9 refill
> to alt.binaries.food, which show that it is
> marked with the State of California warning.

Speaking of fuels, I had a very interesting conversation
with Christie from BernzOmatic today. I called and asked
asked her about the fuel for the Lighter two days ago.
"Since it's a refillable butane-fueled lighter, can anyone's
fuel canisters be used?" I asked. She said no because
conventional butane refills wouldn't work properly. I asked
why and she said she'd go find the info for me. She called
me back today with this interesting bit of info.

The units are made in China and the fuel refills are, too.
They are filled with a special fuel that is a blend of
conventional butane and conventional propane. If they were
using just butane, she explained, the flame would be just
like a disposable cigarette lighter. They want the flame to
be a bit more forceful, so the propane guarantees greater
pressure and a flame that can be directed up, sideways or
down. She also said that plain butane fuel would damage the
unit. I asked if the fuels were food-grade. She laughed.

The MSDS for *both* butane and propane apply to the lighter.
1-800-654-9011

> You are not being consistent.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds,
adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

> Did you learn
> nothing from Henry Kissinger's advice on
> telling the truth?

<LOL> Now I understand a whole lot more. Henry Kissinger is
your role model for telling the truth. No further
explanation needed.

Moron.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> In article >, says...
>
>> Thank you, Peter, for your considered and
>> information-filled post.

> A post does not have to be "considered and information-filled" to be
> right on-target.

No but being "right-on-target" needs a bit more than merely
a display of dyspeptic attitude.

> In any case, unlike you, I am not an expert on

berzo-o-matic cannisters.

Or much else, if your posts are any indication.

> While you and your pal have been obsessing about this moronic topic, I
> have completed another book chapter, made and enjoyed a couple of
> martinis, cooked osso busso and risotto, enjoyed dinner with my wife,
> and watched a Toshiro Mifune movie. You have obsessed about "being
> right" and the labels on bernz-o-matic cannisters. Gee, you must be
> proud of time so well-spent.

Peter, you're an expiration to us all. While you've been
doing those things, I've put together the final menus and
staffing plans for a small get-together here in Virginia
next month for 25,000 people. Went to a chiropractor for the
herniated disk and the bursitis in my hip. Did some food
shopping afterward, picked my daughter up from school and
drove her to her job. Came home and put together the fixings
for three loaves of bread to bake tomorrow, made dinner for
us, picked up the kid after work and am now wasting time
replying to your egregiously smug self-congratulations.

I've completed the rewrites on the current novel and started
on the new one the day before yesterday. I know you're happy
for me. Someday you'll have almost as much published
material as I do, and that day, you'll be a man. Bwah...

I supremely love it when self-satisfied prigs know how
everyone else should live, and how they make such brilliant
assumptions that merely advance their own stunted
prejudices. You seem to believe that I live life at the
sluggish pace you describe.

And I mean all that in the nicest possible place, Peter. Um,
way. Yeah. Way.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pastorio's Fellatious Defense

Mark Thorson wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" wrote:
> >
> > And I notice you had nothing to say to this:
> > *NONE* of the BernzOmatic products had the California
> > warning on them. *NONE* of the other similar products from
> > other companies had the California warning on them, either.
> > Not for propane, butane or MAPP gas. The cylinders
> > themselves, of course, were so labeled.

> In what sense is a gas cylinder not a product?
> The one I have has a UPC bar code on it.
> UPC stands for "Universal Product Code".
> It is a product. And it has the State of
> California warning on it. Both the UPC
> and the warning can be seen in the images
> I posted to alt.binaries.food.
>
> Is this how you defend yourself?
> By redefining "product" to exclude
> anything that exposes your words
> as false? That is transparent nonsense,
> but typical of you.

Subject line changed...

And I have to add that this is one of rfc's more BORING "feuds"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Jan 2007 23:21:31 -0800, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> "Bob (this one)" wrote:

<snip>

>Subject line changed...
>
>And I have to add that this is one of rfc's more BORING "feuds"...

Oh, thanks.... you did it so those of us who killed the subject(s) get
to see more? Whoopeee.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2007 23:21:31 -0800, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

> >Mark Thorson wrote:
> >
> >> "Bob (this one)" wrote:
> >> >

> <snip>
> >

> >Subject line changed...
> >
> >And I have to add that this is one of rfc's more BORING "feuds"...

> Oh, thanks.... you did it so those of us who killed the subject(s) get
> to see more? Whoopeee.

Who was it that said that Usenet is dead...???

:-)

--
Best
Greg