Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Comparison Shopping

I've been meaning to ditch my ACME supermarket and have been saving my
receipts to comparison shop around other markets.

I can't comparison shop at the wholesale club because of the jumbo packaging
and it's more for annual supplies for me.

Have you ever split up and gone to two different markets and comparison
shopped by cell phone?

So far the Giant food market seems like my best choice but I could use a pair
of those sneaker-skates 'cause it's so spread-out. 21 aisles. My feet hurt in
regular shoes. That never happens at the 10-aisle ACME.

All the prices I see r.f.c members quote seem cheap compared to ACME.

Maybe I need to pay more attention to the supermarket flyers that fill up the
mailbox every day?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:49:52 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I've been meaning to ditch my ACME supermarket and have been saving my
>receipts to comparison shop around other markets.

>Have you ever split up and gone to two different markets and comparison
>shopped by cell phone?

>All the prices I see r.f.c members quote seem cheap compared to ACME.
>
>Maybe I need to pay more attention to the supermarket flyers that fill up the
>mailbox every day?
>
>Andy

Yes, you do Andy.

That is one way a lot of us save big on our groceries. There are
quite a few things I won't (and I know others won't as well)buy except
on sale.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts are one of them. This week, at one
of the markets in town, they are on sale for 1.69/pound. I plan to
buy a fair amount of them, and then divvy them up into packages for
the freezer.
Another store has chicken thighs on sale. Same deal...getting them
for the freezer and for making stock.

Then, when I want something that calls for either of those, I will
just take a package out of my freezer and thaw them. No more rushing
to the store and paying full price for them..

You can check out all the flyers yes, and I recommend doing so.
Wednesday seems to be the most common day they start the specials.

Oftentimes, they are online as well every week, and that is how I
check them out. I look to see what is on sale, and if I need some of
that particular product, or if it is just too good a deal to pass up
and I would be stupid not to get some for my freezer. I tend to make
up my list, and then go in sort of a circular route to all the markets
where I want to shop.

The next week, same thing happens.

Also, at various times of the year, certain things will be on sale,
and at a drastic price reduction. Starting before Thanksgiving,
cranberries go on sale. There was a wide descrepancy in this town
here, as to cranberry prices, ranging from $1.69/bag, up to $2.59/bag.
Because I had checked all the store circulars, I knew where they were
the cheapest, and I got several bags for the freezer.
Also during the holidays, baking ingredients go on sale. I stocked up
on flour and sugar this year. Sometimes butter is on sale then too,
and if you are smart, you get a whole lot of it and again, stock it in
your freezer. Again, this is where the circulars come in handy: you
can compare prices and get it where it is the least expensive.

Fruits and veggies have seasons too...they will be a lot cheaper, and
a lot better if you buy them in season. Sometimes the circulars can
help with this, but with these days of fruit, etc from Chile or
wherever, the lines are being blurred. It helps to know when the
natural seasons of your fruits and veggies are and shop accordingly.

Now, if you do this don't necessarily run all over town getting
stuff..you end up spending more money for gas than for any savings.
When I make my grocery runs, I map out where various sale items are,
and then start a circular route to get everything.

People may think I am odd doing this, but I find I save a fair amount
of money doing this.

Hopes this helps.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:49:52 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>I've been meaning to ditch my ACME supermarket and have been saving my
>>receipts to comparison shop around other markets.

>>Have you ever split up and gone to two different markets and comparison
>>shopped by cell phone?

>>All the prices I see r.f.c members quote seem cheap compared to ACME.
>>
>>Maybe I need to pay more attention to the supermarket flyers that fill up
>>the
>>mailbox every day?
>>
>>Andy

> Yes, you do Andy.
>
> That is one way a lot of us save big on our groceries. There are
> quite a few things I won't (and I know others won't as well)buy except
> on sale.
>
> Boneless skinless chicken breasts are one of them. This week, at one
> of the markets in town, they are on sale for 1.69/pound. I plan to
> buy a fair amount of them, and then divvy them up into packages for
> the freezer.
> Another store has chicken thighs on sale. Same deal...getting them
> for the freezer and for making stock.
>
> Then, when I want something that calls for either of those, I will
> just take a package out of my freezer and thaw them. No more rushing
> to the store and paying full price for them..
>
> You can check out all the flyers yes, and I recommend doing so.
> Wednesday seems to be the most common day they start the specials.
>
> Oftentimes, they are online as well every week, and that is how I
> check them out. I look to see what is on sale, and if I need some of
> that particular product, or if it is just too good a deal to pass up
> and I would be stupid not to get some for my freezer. I tend to make
> up my list, and then go in sort of a circular route to all the markets
> where I want to shop.
>
> The next week, same thing happens.

Regionally: Kleenex. 99 cents, plus Kimberly-Clark never seems to stop
offering coupons, which turns the price into 79 cents each. At that price,
you've got to be nuts to buy the sandpaper private label variety. My ex used
to get all bent out of shape when I'd come home with 30 boxes of Kleenex,
all on sale. But, that investment purchase saved us $20.00 over the next 6
months, especially when our son was the king of snot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:26:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:49:52 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>>>Maybe I need to pay more attention to the supermarket flyers that fill up
>>>the
>>>mailbox every day?
>>>
>>>Andy

>> Yes, you do Andy.
>>
>> That is one way a lot of us save big on our groceries.

>Regionally: Kleenex. 99 cents, plus Kimberly-Clark never seems to stop
>offering coupons, which turns the price into 79 cents each. At that price,
>you've got to be nuts to buy the sandpaper private label variety. My ex used
>to get all bent out of shape when I'd come home with 30 boxes of Kleenex,
>all on sale. But, that investment purchase saved us $20.00 over the next 6
>months, especially when our son was the king of snot.

Another thing I found out, is that some supermarkets are much better
for buying some staples, and non-food items. I tend to go to the
stores only for those items. If you comparison shop, you will be
able to find out which stores are the best for these items, such as
what Joe mentioned.

Another thing that occurred to me, as my brain gets enough caffeine in
it. Don't just stick to the major supermarkets: sometimes you can get
much better deals on things in ethnic markets. And more variety. I
buy a lot of my veggies at an Asian market here in town, and if I want
a cheap cut of meat for something, I often look there first.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:26:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Yes, you do Andy.
>>>
>>> That is one way a lot of us save big on our groceries.

>>Regionally: Kleenex. 99 cents, plus Kimberly-Clark never seems to stop
>>offering coupons, which turns the price into 79 cents each. At that price,
>>you've got to be nuts to buy the sandpaper private label variety. My ex
>>used
>>to get all bent out of shape when I'd come home with 30 boxes of Kleenex,
>>all on sale. But, that investment purchase saved us $20.00 over the next 6
>>months, especially when our son was the king of snot.
>>

> Another thing I found out, is that some supermarkets are much better
> for buying some staples, and non-food items. I tend to go to the
> stores only for those items. If you comparison shop, you will be
> able to find out which stores are the best for these items, such as
> what Joe mentioned.
>
> Another thing that occurred to me, as my brain gets enough caffeine in
> it. Don't just stick to the major supermarkets: sometimes you can get
> much better deals on things in ethnic markets. And more variety. I
> buy a lot of my veggies at an Asian market here in town, and if I want
> a cheap cut of meat for something, I often look there first.
>
> Christine

Not just ethnic markets, but the pharmacy chains, as well. Their buying
power is now equal to or better than many grocery chains.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:39:25 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>with your cell phone that annoy the shit out of innocent people"
>list.

My personal favorite was the woman at Kroger's wearing a "housedress"
and slippers screaming in her cell phone...."Momma....did you want
Classic Spam or Spam Lite".

What a winner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:39:25 -0600, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
>>with your cell phone that annoy the shit out of innocent people"
>>list.

> My personal favorite was the woman at Kroger's wearing a "housedress"
> and slippers screaming in her cell phone...."Momma....did you want
> Classic Spam or Spam Lite".
>
> What a winner.

No curlers? :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> Another thing that occurred to me, as my brain gets enough caffeine in
> it. Don't just stick to the major supermarkets: sometimes you can get
> much better deals on things in ethnic markets. And more variety. I
> buy a lot of my veggies at an Asian market here in town, and if I want
> a cheap cut of meat for something, I often look there first.
>
> Christine

Christine,

I wish I had bonifide Asian and other worldly cuisine markets. They must be
out there but I haven't found any.

I've got the upscale markets that come into favor for special hard to find
or unusual items.

One thing is for sure, I only get produce from the produce stands &
markets. They're always cheaper and fresher, imho. But even they differ. My
main product market sells a "bouquet" of basil (in a cellofane wrapper) for
$1.59, loose and only a dozen stems. Another produce stand sells huge
bunches for $1.00/ea.

The Italian market in South Philly is a treat for all the senses. And I get
to stop into Fantes (www.fantes.com) for odd-ball kitchen "stuff."

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> I've been meaning to ditch my ACME supermarket and have been saving my
> receipts to comparison shop around other markets.

> So far the Giant food market seems like my best choice but I could use a
> pair
> of those sneaker-skates 'cause it's so spread-out. 21 aisles. My feet hurt
> in
> regular shoes. That never happens at the 10-aisle ACME.

Those huge markets, oddly, tend to have a lot more on display ... a lot
more of the same item. And all in one company family, say, for pet food,
Purina. Shampoo, Clairol. I have better luck finding different brands in
the
smaller stores, but that is just my experience.

> All the prices I see r.f.c members quote seem cheap compared to ACME.
>
> Maybe I need to pay more attention to the supermarket flyers that fill up
> the
> mailbox every day?

There are two other stores that I could shop in aside from Acme.
I haven't found either of them to be cheaper than Acme, to be honest.
They have their strengths, though, and their weaknesses. Go through
the circulars, but you don't know if the every day prices, not the sale
prices, would make them the better place to shop regularly. You might
be surprised.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:49:33 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Christine Dabney said...

>I wish I had bonifide Asian and other worldly cuisine markets. They must be
>out there but I haven't found any.

Have you checked in your yellow pages under grocers? That is how I
found mine.

>One thing is for sure, I only get produce from the produce stands &
>markets. They're always cheaper and fresher, imho. But even they differ. My
>main product market sells a "bouquet" of basil (in a cellofane wrapper) for
>$1.59, loose and only a dozen stems. Another produce stand sells huge
>bunches for $1.00/ea.
>
>The Italian market in South Philly is a treat for all the senses. And I get
>to stop into Fantes (www.fantes.com) for odd-ball kitchen "stuff."

Do you go to the Reading Terminal Market?

Andy, one of the things I have used in the past is what is known as a
pricebook. It can be a real eye opener, if you use it.

Here is a page about it:
http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/buy...pricebooks.htm

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz said...

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:49:52 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Have you ever split up and gone to two different markets and comparison
>>shopped by cell phone?

> Add this in slot #3 of the "Completely obnoxious things you can do
> with your cell phone that annoy the shit out of innocent people"
> list.
>
> Leave it to Andy to come up with it.
>
> -sw

Keep at it Wartz.

You fill up the boring, obnoxious, opinionated, selfish, megalomaniacal and
hypocrite lists all by your lonesome.

How do you stand yourself? Heh heh heh. Ya BUM!!!

Have a nice day,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:49:33 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Christine Dabney said...

>>I wish I had bonifide Asian and other worldly cuisine markets. They must
>>be out there but I haven't found any.

> Have you checked in your yellow pages under grocers? That is how I
> found mine.

I found an Asian market reasonably local but it turned out to be dumb-
downed version of a real Asian market. 10 brands of a few Asian items.

>>One thing is for sure, I only get produce from the produce stands &
>>markets. They're always cheaper and fresher, imho. But even they differ.
>>My main product market sells a "bouquet" of basil (in a cellofane
>>wrapper) for $1.59, loose and only a dozen stems. Another produce stand
>>sells huge bunches for $1.00/ea.
>>
>>The Italian market in South Philly is a treat for all the senses. And I
>>get to stop into Fantes (www.fantes.com) for odd-ball kitchen "stuff."

> Do you go to the Reading Terminal Market?

Certainly!!! It's one of the greatest places to wander around! Not to
mention the boss and I go there for beers at lunchtime.

> Andy, one of the things I have used in the past is what is known as a
> pricebook. It can be a real eye opener, if you use it.
>
> Here is a page about it:
> http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/buy...pricebooks.htm

I really should log my receipts into a spreadsheet. It almost sounds too
simple. On any given visit, I pretty much buy the same things over and
over. I'll print one out and visit a few markets to get a "bigger picture"
analysis.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> It's a mu mu. Named after the sound the white ladies wearing them
> make when the herd toward kitchen.
>
> OK, so who here wears mu mu's?
>
> -sw <ducking again>

I have to wonder about the brain power of some people
around here. You do understand that ducking brings your
head right within my slap-reach?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:49:52 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I've been meaning to ditch my ACME supermarket and have been saving my
>receipts to comparison shop around other markets.
>
>I can't comparison shop at the wholesale club because of the jumbo packaging
>and it's more for annual supplies for me.
>
>Have you ever split up and gone to two different markets and comparison
>shopped by cell phone?
>
>So far the Giant food market seems like my best choice but I could use a pair
>of those sneaker-skates 'cause it's so spread-out. 21 aisles. My feet hurt in
>regular shoes. That never happens at the 10-aisle ACME.
>
>All the prices I see r.f.c members quote seem cheap compared to ACME.
>
>Maybe I need to pay more attention to the supermarket flyers that fill up the
>mailbox every day?

Around here, there are basically three choices, unless I want to drive
all the way into "town": Schnuck's, Kroger's and Walmart. I actually
did make a short list (25 items or so) of staples and went to all
three checking prices. (I know, I know, too much time on my hands
sometimes.) Anyway, the results were as follows: Walmart was indeed
the least expensive, by about $5 on a $50 order; Kroger's was the most
expensive by far if you didn't use the Kroger card, and about a dollar
more expensive than Schnuck's if you did; and Schnuck's came in the
middle somewhere. I was somewhat surprised at the results; I expected
the spread to be bigger, and I definitely expected Schnuck's to be the
most expensive!

I settled on Schnuck's for most of the marketing, even though they
aren't the absolute cheapest. Schnuck's is clean and bright, the
butcher, deli and produce sections are all good, and the employees are
friendly and polite. I don't like Walmart's meats, I'm not crazy
about their business practices either, and the lines move like
molasses in midwinter, so it's worth it to me to spend a little more
and not deal with them; Kroger's ****ed me off years ago when they
came out with those damn cards and doubled their prices overnight, the
store is dingy looking and the employees are frequently on the surly
side, so that's a no go for me as well.

Keeping an eye on the sale flyers can help a lot; I peruse them and
come up with tentative menus and a shopping list for the next week
based on what's on sale.

Regards,
Tracy R.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> I've been meaning to ditch my ACME supermarket and have been saving my
> receipts to comparison shop around other markets.
>
> I can't comparison shop at the wholesale club because of the jumbo packaging
> and it's more for annual supplies for me.
>
> Have you ever split up and gone to two different markets and comparison
> shopped by cell phone?
>
> So far the Giant food market seems like my best choice but I could use a pair
> of those sneaker-skates 'cause it's so spread-out. 21 aisles. My feet hurt in
> regular shoes. That never happens at the 10-aisle ACME.
>
> All the prices I see r.f.c members quote seem cheap compared to ACME.
>
> Maybe I need to pay more attention to the supermarket flyers that fill up the
> mailbox every day?
>
> Andy

Andy,

You mean you don't pay attention to sales flyers?????

It's how I do most of my shopping! :-)

Saves me a bundle.

Hell, that's how I got that gorgeous meat grinder for 1/2 price!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:49:52 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> >Have you ever split up and gone to two different markets and comparison
> >shopped by cell phone?

> Add this in slot #3 of the "Completely obnoxious things you can do
> with your cell phone that annoy the shit out of innocent people"
> list.
>
> Leave it to Andy to come up with it.
>
> -sw

At today's gas prices, I'm shopping by phone more frequently than I ever
have...

It works.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> You mean you don't pay attention to sales flyers?????
>
> It's how I do most of my shopping! :-)
>
> Saves me a bundle.

It just about arrives in stacks. I've become very resentful of them and
consider them the foulest of all junk mail, cause I have to check if any
important mail didn't squeeze in between their pages by chance.

And I'm not going to grab one off the stack as I enter the store. Then
what, stand around for 10 minutes reading it? I waste enough time at the
market as it is, well, some of that IS guality flirting time.

The one thing that is the most helpful in supermarket shopping is a store
map! The diagram on one side and the alphabetic list of items on the other
side of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I can connect the dots for my next
visit, instead of staring up at the aisle signs in dismal wonder. Giant,
the supermarket currently under consideration, doesn't have the map.
Everything else about the store is great.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:03:14 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Omelet said...
>
>> You mean you don't pay attention to sales flyers?????
>>
>> It's how I do most of my shopping! :-)
>>
>> Saves me a bundle.

>It just about arrives in stacks. I've become very resentful of them and
>consider them the foulest of all junk mail, cause I have to check if any
>important mail didn't squeeze in between their pages by chance.
>
>And I'm not going to grab one off the stack as I enter the store.

Okay, I have a suggestion for you. Go online, and do a search for
the particular stores in your area. Most of them nowadays, are
putting their ads online. You don't have to deal with a pile of junk
mail, and you can peruse them at your leisure.

That is if you really are interested in saving some money.....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Omelet said...
>
>> You mean you don't pay attention to sales flyers?????
>>
>> It's how I do most of my shopping! :-)
>>
>> Saves me a bundle.

> It just about arrives in stacks. I've become very resentful of them and
> consider them the foulest of all junk mail, cause I have to check if any
> important mail didn't squeeze in between their pages by chance.
>
> And I'm not going to grab one off the stack as I enter the store. Then
> what, stand around for 10 minutes reading it? I waste enough time at the
> market as it is, well, some of that IS guality flirting time.
>
> The one thing that is the most helpful in supermarket shopping is a store
> map! The diagram on one side and the alphabetic list of items on the other
> side of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I can connect the dots for my next
> visit, instead of staring up at the aisle signs in dismal wonder. Giant,
> the supermarket currently under consideration, doesn't have the map.
> Everything else about the store is great.
>
> Andy

If you shop at the same store with any regularity, it shouldn't take long to
know where things are. Usually.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > You mean you don't pay attention to sales flyers?????
> >
> > It's how I do most of my shopping! :-)
> >
> > Saves me a bundle.

> It just about arrives in stacks. I've become very resentful of them and
> consider them the foulest of all junk mail, cause I have to check if any
> important mail didn't squeeze in between their pages by chance.

Ok, I don't have that problem here.
They are only in the Newspapers and the fronts of the stores.

They don't crowd my mailbox.

So, pick the ones you usually shop at and peruse those only.

> And I'm not going to grab one off the stack as I enter the store. Then
> what, stand around for 10 minutes reading it? I waste enough time at the
> market as it is, well, some of that IS guality flirting time.

<tsk>

You are such a guy. <G>

Takes me maybe 3 minutes to peruse sales flyer!
It's a skill dude!

> The one thing that is the most helpful in supermarket shopping is a store
> map! The diagram on one side and the alphabetic list of items on the other
> side of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I can connect the dots for my next
> visit, instead of staring up at the aisle signs in dismal wonder. Giant,
> the supermarket currently under consideration, doesn't have the map.
> Everything else about the store is great.
>
> Andy

Oh.

My god.

Where do you shop?

Oh, and shopping lists are a great time saver. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:03:14 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> >Omelet said...
> >
> >> You mean you don't pay attention to sales flyers?????
> >>
> >> It's how I do most of my shopping! :-)
> >>
> >> Saves me a bundle.

> >It just about arrives in stacks. I've become very resentful of them and
> >consider them the foulest of all junk mail, cause I have to check if any
> >important mail didn't squeeze in between their pages by chance.
> >
> >And I'm not going to grab one off the stack as I enter the store.

> Okay, I have a suggestion for you. Go online, and do a search for
> the particular stores in your area. Most of them nowadays, are
> putting their ads online. You don't have to deal with a pile of junk
> mail, and you can peruse them at your leisure.
>
> That is if you really are interested in saving some money.....
>
> Christine

I'm not Andy but thanks Chris!

I'd not considered that either, and it'd save me a few phone calls
unless I'm shopping for a non-sale item. :-)

I saved $4.00 each on the Christmas ducks ( x 4 ducks) by phoning around
for prices.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:25:56 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote

>>> -sw <ducking again>

>> I have to wonder about the brain power of some people
>> around here. You do understand that ducking brings your
>> head right within my slap-reach?

> The term/meaning comes from my ducking *as* you start your slap,
> thereby dodging your slap.

I would not *start* the slapping motion towards a target
out of my reach. I am wiley enough to wait, like a spider.

> If you're not beginning a slapping motion, then I'm not going to
> duck, silly goose.

When all is said and done, you are better off just running.

nancy (doesn't wear muu muus)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:49:07 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote

>> If you're not beginning a slapping motion, then I'm not going to
>> duck, silly goose.

>When all is said and done, you are better off just running.

*nodnod* My mother always used to tell us kids "I can run faster mad
than you can scared."

Yep yep.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Comparison Shopping--ANDY

----south Philly. Oh, how I miss south Philly and the market and
Fantes, and, and, and-----. I am SO jealous!
Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> That is if you really are interested in saving some money.....
>
> Christine

Yes I am. I just about wanna kick myself as I walk into the ACME, unarmed.
I'm especially critical of ACME for offering sales on items that aren't sale
priced by any stretch of the imagination!

I resolve to step away from the laptop and whip out the scissors a few
minutes before I make up the list!

The on-line shopping sites are OK but there's no telling if any given product
is available in the store. I was the idiot that called a market for an item
and after waiting on hold, I got a "yes, aisle 4". Then after arriving, it
wasn't in the store. Just a "come on down!" gimmick reply.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:49:07 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote

>>> If you're not beginning a slapping motion, then I'm not going to
>>> duck, silly goose.

>> When all is said and done, you are better off just running.

> *nodnod* My mother always used to tell us kids "I can run faster mad
> than you can scared."
>
> Yep yep.
>
> Serene

Mr. Raven's favorite saying (he's an archer) is "go ahead..run. You'll
just die tired."

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

>> The one thing that is the most helpful in supermarket shopping is a
>> store map! The diagram on one side and the alphabetic list of items on
>> the other side of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I can connect the dots
>> for my next visit, instead of staring up at the aisle signs in dismal
>> wonder. Giant, the supermarket currently under consideration, doesn't
>> have the map. Everything else about the store is great.
>>
>> Andy

> Oh.
>
> My god.
>
> Where do you shop?
>
> Oh, and shopping lists are a great time saver. :-)

Om,

Heh, heh, heh!

The first time I walked into the Wegmans and saw a vanishing point in the
distance, I walked right up to the customer service counter and asked for a
map, and they gave me one! Not that it saved me any time on that visit
since I was more or less interested in just taking it all in. Call it "an
experience."

The other trip-up we've all dealt with is the once-in-a-while "store re-
arrangement," which seems to happen as soon as you finally memorize where
everything you need is.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:53:20 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>The on-line shopping sites are OK but there's no telling if any given product
>is available in the store. I was the idiot that called a market for an item
>and after waiting on hold, I got a "yes, aisle 4". Then after arriving, it
>wasn't in the store. Just a "come on down!" gimmick reply.

You know how to use a phone, right? Call them and ask. Very
simple. And the ads you get in your paper won't tell you if the item
is there in your store either. You would still have to call and ask,
or go to the store.

When you look up the online ads, most of them have you put in a zip
code for the location. Especially the bigger chains, that have stores
in many states. That way, the items should be in the stores...
Local stores, you usually don't have to do that.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Omelet said...
>
>>> The one thing that is the most helpful in supermarket shopping is a
>>> store map! The diagram on one side and the alphabetic list of items on
>>> the other side of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I can connect the dots
>>> for my next visit, instead of staring up at the aisle signs in dismal
>>> wonder. Giant, the supermarket currently under consideration, doesn't
>>> have the map. Everything else about the store is great.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Oh.
>>
>> My god.
>>
>> Where do you shop?
>>
>> Oh, and shopping lists are a great time saver. :-)

> Om,
>
> Heh, heh, heh!
>
> The first time I walked into the Wegmans and saw a vanishing point in the
> distance, I walked right up to the customer service counter and asked for
> map, and they gave me one! Not that it saved me any time on that visit
> since I was more or less interested in just taking it all in. Call it "an
> experience."

On the Wegman's web site, you can make up a shopping list, select which
store you'll be shopping in, and then print a list with the items organized
by aisle number.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:53:20 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>The on-line shopping sites are OK but there's no telling if any given
>>product is available in the store. I was the idiot that called a market
>>for an item and after waiting on hold, I got a "yes, aisle 4". Then
>>after arriving, it wasn't in the store. Just a "come on down!" gimmick
>>reply.

> You know how to use a phone, right? Call them and ask.

Christine,

Uhm... you must've raced over my reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I've been meaning to ditch my ACME supermarket and have been saving my
> receipts to comparison shop around other markets.
>
> I can't comparison shop at the wholesale club because of the jumbo packaging
> and it's more for annual supplies for me.
>
> Have you ever split up and gone to two different markets and comparison
> shopped by cell phone?
>
> So far the Giant food market seems like my best choice but I could use a pair
> of those sneaker-skates 'cause it's so spread-out. 21 aisles. My feet hurt in
> regular shoes. That never happens at the 10-aisle ACME.
>
> All the prices I see r.f.c members quote seem cheap compared to ACME.
>
> Maybe I need to pay more attention to the supermarket flyers that fill up the
> mailbox every day?

There is a fine art to shopping. I have mastered it to the point
where I can pretty well count on having most things I need on
hand. Getting the best price on things is another matter. Some
stores have generally lower prices than others. Some stores have
good prices on some things but try to make up for it on others.
I confess to being more or less an impulse shopper, so going to
multiple stores to get the best deals of the week is out of the
question. I know that I will end up picking up other things. I am
better off to hit one store.

I know where I can get the best deals on meat, so when I need to
stock up on meat I go there. If I need cleaning supplies and
staples, there is another store where I can get better deals on
that stuff, and if I need meat for just a few meals I might as
well get it there. The fewer stores I go to the better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:05:28 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:53:20 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>The on-line shopping sites are OK but there's no telling if any given product
>>is available in the store. I was the idiot that called a market for an item
>>and after waiting on hold, I got a "yes, aisle 4". Then after arriving, it
>>wasn't in the store. Just a "come on down!" gimmick reply.

>You know how to use a phone, right? Call them and ask.

Er, didn't he just say he did?

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> >> The one thing that is the most helpful in supermarket shopping is a
> >> store map! The diagram on one side and the alphabetic list of items on
> >> the other side of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I can connect the dots
> >> for my next visit, instead of staring up at the aisle signs in dismal
> >> wonder. Giant, the supermarket currently under consideration, doesn't
> >> have the map. Everything else about the store is great.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Oh.
> >
> > My god.
> >
> > Where do you shop?
> >
> > Oh, and shopping lists are a great time saver. :-)

> Om,
>
> Heh, heh, heh!
>
> The first time I walked into the Wegmans and saw a vanishing point in the
> distance, I walked right up to the customer service counter and asked for a
> map, and they gave me one! Not that it saved me any time on that visit
> since I was more or less interested in just taking it all in. Call it "an
> experience."
>
> The other trip-up we've all dealt with is the once-in-a-while "store re-
> arrangement," which seems to happen as soon as you finally memorize where
> everything you need is.
>
> Andy

Heh!

I've bitched at some stores for doing just that... ;-)

More than once.

It's why I shop at the local "little" HEB most of the time, and just go
to the big one when I need something that the little one does not
carry...

and have LOTS of time to spend asking for help!

Fortunately, the big one has the brains to have wandering help,
literally, to ask questions of. :-)

It works out...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

>> The other trip-up we've all dealt with is the once-in-a-while "store re-
>> arrangement," which seems to happen as soon as you finally memorize

where
>> everything you need is.
>>
>> Andy

> Heh!
>
> I've bitched at some stores for doing just that... ;-)
>
> More than once.

Om,

Funny thing is that after a re-arrangement, some products that I needed
suddenly became obsolete! The sad thing is I don't remember what those
products were.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Omelet said...
>
>>> The other trip-up we've all dealt with is the once-in-a-while "store re-
>>> arrangement," which seems to happen as soon as you finally memorize

> where
>>> everything you need is.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Heh!
>>
>> I've bitched at some stores for doing just that... ;-)
>>
>> More than once.

> Om,
>
> Funny thing is that after a re-arrangement, some products that I needed
> suddenly became obsolete! The sad thing is I don't remember what those
> products were.
>
> Andy

It's called merchandising. It's the process of increasing sales by hiding
the products. It's usually assigned to trainees who've never shopped for
anything other than perhaps a candy bar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> The first time I walked into the Wegmans and saw a vanishing point in
> the distance, I walked right up to the customer service counter and
> asked for a map, and they gave me one!
> Andy

At the Schuck's where I shop they have a "map" on the underside of the
plastic "seat" in the shopping cart. A list of common ingredients and what
aisle you can find it on. (Example, ketchup 8B or salt, 2A) It's very
helpful. Of course, if they reorganize the store... and doesn't that always
seem to be the case once you get to know where things are?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Andy wrote:
>> The first time I walked into the Wegmans and saw a vanishing point in
>> the distance, I walked right up to the customer service counter and
>> asked for a map, and they gave me one!
>> Andy

> At the Schuck's where I shop they have a "map" on the underside of the
> plastic "seat" in the shopping cart. A list of common ingredients and
> what aisle you can find it on. (Example, ketchup 8B or salt, 2A) It's
> very helpful. Of course, if they reorganize the store... and doesn't
> that always seem to be the case once you get to know where things are?
>
> Jill

Jill,

That reminds me. back in 1992, there was a supermarket nearby that had LED
touch screen computers attached to the shopping cart handle that you could
tap on a product from a list and it would show you where you were and where
the product was on a floor map! It was awesome technology. And if you
happened to cart by a sale item, it came up on the screen and beeped so you
didn't have to head-turn left and right as you shopped. You could override
the on-sale feature or mute it, I forget which. I only used it once or
twice.

It was KEWL!!! Haven't seen it once, since.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol Garbo said...

> ----south Philly. Oh, how I miss south Philly and the market and
> Fantes, and, and, and-----. I am SO jealous!
> Carol
>
> Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
> are here, we may as well dance!

Carol,

South Philly misses you more!

Sometimes I think about moving back to the family, but with so much within
reach, I just can't see moving.

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> The first time I walked into the Wegmans and saw a vanishing point
>>> in the distance, I walked right up to the customer service counter
>>> and asked for a map, and they gave me one!
>>> Andy

>> At the Schuck's where I shop they have a "map" on the underside of
>> the plastic "seat" in the shopping cart. A list of common
>> ingredients and what aisle you can find it on. (Example, ketchup 8B
>> or salt, 2A) It's very helpful. Of course, if they reorganize the
>> store... and doesn't that always seem to be the case once you get to
>> know where things are?
>>
>> Jill

> Jill,
>
> That reminds me. back in 1992, there was a supermarket nearby that
> had LED touch screen computers attached to the shopping cart handle
> that you could tap on a product from a list and it would show you
> where you were and where the product was on a floor map! It was
> awesome technology. And if you happened to cart by a sale item, it
> came up on the screen and beeped so you didn't have to head-turn left
> and right as you shopped. You could override the on-sale feature or
> mute it, I forget which. I only used it once or twice.
>
> It was KEWL!!! Haven't seen it once, since.
>
> Andy

Wow, Andy, with all the techno-geeks around (me being one of them) I'm
surprised that technology didn't catch on. Of course, those carts probably
cost a friggin fortune.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> >> The other trip-up we've all dealt with is the once-in-a-while "store re-
> >> arrangement," which seems to happen as soon as you finally memorize

> where
> >> everything you need is.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Heh!
> >
> > I've bitched at some stores for doing just that... ;-)
> >
> > More than once.

> Om,
>
> Funny thing is that after a re-arrangement, some products that I needed
> suddenly became obsolete! The sad thing is I don't remember what those
> products were.
>
> Andy

I feel your pain... truly!

Except for specific items!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Starter Comparison Stacey Sourdough 12 11-02-2008 01:27 PM
Comparison Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 0 25-07-2007 08:25 AM
Oil comparison chart. olczyk General Cooking 2 20-10-2005 07:12 PM
Interesting Comparison RV WRLee Wine 4 17-12-2004 06:33 PM
Kneading Comparison Ed Bechtel Sourdough 52 26-04-2004 05:23 PM