Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Replacement for fish sauce other than soy sauce

I am thinking to make Thai papaya salad when my friend visits me. He's
a vegetarian. So, what should I use insted of fish sauce to get the
same taste? Soy Suace is out of the question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 25 Dec 2006 12:10:22 -0800, Amanda wrote:
>
> > I am thinking to make Thai papaya salad when my friend visits me. He's
> > a vegetarian. So, what should I use insted of fish sauce to get the
> > same taste? Soy Suace is out of the question.

> Wear the same pair of socks for 3 weeks, making sure you go out
> in the rain a few times. After 3 weeks, remove and simmer the
> socks in a quart of water for 20 minutes with the lid on. Remove
> socks, wring them out in the pan, and bottle the resulting liquid
> for use as a table sauce. This is the first pressing.
>
> Then put the still-damp socks in a zip-lock bag and store in a
> warm place for another 2 weeks. Repeat the simmering process
> once more. This is known as the second pressing and the
> resulting liquid is used only for cooking rather than a finishing
> sauce.
>
> While it may not fit the strict definition of vegetarian as it is
> derived form extract of animal feet, no animals were harmed in
> the process.

I will ask him whether he avoids fish sauce because he does go to Thai
Resturant. If he does, I am not going to bother with papaya salad.
What's the poitn really. I have a question though. The my favorite
local Thai resturant is quite authentic (to me) wile not using fish
sauce overwhelmingly. The juice at the bootm of from the papaya salad
plate was not overwhelmignly salty or fishy. Do you think they have
diluted with something? Any tips?.

> Or you could try these:
>
> http://www.thaigrocer.com/VegAdapt.html
> http://www.recipecottage.com/vegetarian/fish-sauce.html
>
> But I insist there is no acceptable substitute for Asian fish
> sauce.

I agree

My family may be one of a few SE Asian who do not use fish paste and
fish paste products - becaus elocal products were made in houses, not
factory, I have come to appreciate this product called fish sauce if
used the right way in certain dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I am thinking to make Thai papaya salad when my friend visits me. He's
> a vegetarian. So, what should I use insted of fish sauce to get the
>same taste? Soy Suace is out of the question.

Vegetarian Fish Sauce Substitute
(from the Sundays at Moosewood cookbook)

make a strong vegetable stock that is heavy on onions
and black peppercorns. for each 2 tbsp of fish sauce
called for, substitute 2 tbsp. of the stock plus 1/2
to 1 tsp. of salt. (if substituting for shrimp paste,
use the full teaspoon of salt.)

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On 25 Dec 2006 12:10:22 -0800, "Amanda" >
> wrote:
>
> >I am thinking to make Thai papaya salad when my friend visits me. He's
> > a vegetarian. So, what should I use insted of fish sauce to get the
> >same taste? Soy Suace is out of the question.

> Vegetarian Fish Sauce Substitute
> (from the Sundays at Moosewood cookbook)
>
> make a strong vegetable stock that is heavy on onions
> and black peppercorns. for each 2 tbsp of fish sauce
> called for, substitute 2 tbsp. of the stock plus 1/2
> to 1 tsp. of salt. (if substituting for shrimp paste,
> use the full teaspoon of salt.)
>
> Serene

Wow, sounds reallu good. Thanks.