Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Boiled Fish with Red Sauce

On vacation a while ago, I wandered into a tiny Chinese restaurant. I
asked the waitress to recommend something that was authentic Chinese,
and that was good for bad weather (it was windy & raining). She
proposed what sounded like, "Boiled Fish in Red Sauce." I was
surprised when what she brought me was -- to my mind, anyway -- an
enormous bowl of stew. But this turned out to be one of the most
remarkable things I had ever eaten. The broth was PACKED with some
sort of chili (none were visible), so that, even though I have a very
high tolerance for spicy foods, my nose was running in seconds. I
could also taste and smell Sichuan Peppercorns. There was a lot of
cabbage in the stew, as well as vegetables I couldn't identify. I
thought I may have also tasted tomato in the reddish broth. I felt
like I was eating a Chinese take -- maybe the original take -- on
cioppino. Also, while this may give the impression that I'm
romanticizing things, I have to mention that before I ate this dish, I
seriously felt like I was coming down with something; afterwards, I
felt completely reinvigorated.

Anyway, is this "Boiled Fish with Red Sauce" a standard Chinese dish
that I should be able to find in various places?

Thanks for any info.

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:13:41 -0000, RJ Kellog >
wrote:

>On vacation a while ago, I wandered into a tiny Chinese restaurant. I
>asked the waitress to recommend something that was authentic Chinese,
>and that was good for bad weather (it was windy & raining). She
>proposed what sounded like, "Boiled Fish in Red Sauce." I was
>surprised when what she brought me was -- to my mind, anyway -- an
>enormous bowl of stew. But this turned out to be one of the most
>remarkable things I had ever eaten. The broth was PACKED with some
>sort of chili (none were visible), so that, even though I have a very
>high tolerance for spicy foods, my nose was running in seconds. I
>could also taste and smell Sichuan Peppercorns. There was a lot of
>cabbage in the stew, as well as vegetables I couldn't identify. I
>thought I may have also tasted tomato in the reddish broth. I felt
>like I was eating a Chinese take -- maybe the original take -- on
>cioppino. Also, while this may give the impression that I'm
>romanticizing things, I have to mention that before I ate this dish, I
>seriously felt like I was coming down with something; afterwards, I
>felt completely reinvigorated.
>
>Anyway, is this "Boiled Fish with Red Sauce" a standard Chinese dish
>that I should be able to find in various places?
>
>Thanks for any info.

i have no information, but your account is charming.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:13:41 -0000, RJ Kellog >
> wrote:
>
> >On vacation a while ago, I wandered into a tiny Chinese restaurant. I
> >asked the waitress to recommend something that was authentic Chinese,
> >and that was good for bad weather (it was windy & raining). She
> >proposed what sounded like, "Boiled Fish in Red Sauce." I was
> >surprised when what she brought me was -- to my mind, anyway -- an
> >enormous bowl of stew. But this turned out to be one of the most
> >remarkable things I had ever eaten. The broth was PACKED with some
> >sort of chili (none were visible), so that, even though I have a very
> >high tolerance for spicy foods, my nose was running in seconds. I
> >could also taste and smell Sichuan Peppercorns. There was a lot of
> >cabbage in the stew, as well as vegetables I couldn't identify. I
> >thought I may have also tasted tomato in the reddish broth. I felt
> >like I was eating a Chinese take -- maybe the original take -- on
> >cioppino. Also, while this may give the impression that I'm
> >romanticizing things, I have to mention that before I ate this dish, I
> >seriously felt like I was coming down with something; afterwards, I
> >felt completely reinvigorated.
> >
> >Anyway, is this "Boiled Fish with Red Sauce" a standard Chinese dish
> >that I should be able to find in various places?
> >
> >Thanks for any info.

Never ran accross anything like that in a Chinese restaurant although I
suppose digging
into Sichuan dishes might uncover something.
From your description it sounds almost like some sort of Korean Jige.
Musashi

Posted to alt.food.asian

oh yeah very standard and common.
My mouth is watering again.... yummy. It's incredible.

Oyster Sauce & Fish Sauce xxtamxx General Cooking 11 09-09-2011 05:23 PM
Replacement for fish sauce other than soy sauce Amanda General Cooking 3 27-12-2006 12:27 PM
Fish Sauce Rinshinomori Asian Cooking 22 13-08-2006 08:28 PM
Boiled Crawfish with Tomato-Mayonnaise Sauce Michael Recipes (moderated) 0 17-02-2006 07:35 AM
Beer Boiled Shrimip with Cocktail Sauce Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-01-2004 12:56 PM