Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Me and fish sauce

I've tried everything: masks, clothes pins, mentholatum. I just can't
get around the smell. Mine's a good brand, Three Crabs or something
like that; and granted the taste is mild, just a salty, rich taste
that makes a good dipping sauce. But that smell! I'm not a neutral
scent fanatic. I don't mind the smells of frying permeating the house,
or a long braise or even sauteeing onions and garlic. My wife must
have some hound dog in her genes; she can tell if I've looked at a
clove of garlic within the past three hours. She didn't mind the smell
of my simmering fish sauce; in fact, she kinda liked it. Me? I was
ready to abandon ship, sell the house or raze it and rebuild. Naw!
Just dump the fish sauce and note it as another "cannot do."

How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope? How do you explain
to guests that your sewer system is fine and that neither you nor your
pets are flatulent or dead and that so far as you know there's nothing
rotting beneath your house?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> I've tried everything: masks, clothes pins, mentholatum. I just can't
> get around the smell. Mine's a good brand, Three Crabs or something
> like that; and granted the taste is mild, just a salty, rich taste
> that makes a good dipping sauce. But that smell! I'm not a neutral
> scent fanatic. I don't mind the smells of frying permeating the house,
> or a long braise or even sauteeing onions and garlic. My wife must
> have some hound dog in her genes; she can tell if I've looked at a
> clove of garlic within the past three hours. She didn't mind the smell
> of my simmering fish sauce; in fact, she kinda liked it. Me? I was
> ready to abandon ship, sell the house or raze it and rebuild. Naw!
> Just dump the fish sauce and note it as another "cannot do."
>
> How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope? How do you explain
> to guests that your sewer system is fine and that neither you nor your
> pets are flatulent or dead and that so far as you know there's nothing
> rotting beneath your house?

You must have some particular sensitivity to its odor. I open the bottle
and pour out the small amount and proceed without even thinking about
it. Maybe open the bottle and dispense what you need under the range
hood the next time?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
stark > wrote:

> How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope?

I find that a little fish sauce enhances the flavor of dishes. A lot of
fish sauce makes it inedible to me. When I go to the local Vietnamese
place, I specify "no fish sauce". If it is a main ingredient, I
negotiate a substitute. I only remember one time I had a problem with
fish sauce in Thai food, and I still ate the whole bowl of soup.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:25*am, stark > wrote:
> I've tried everything: masks, clothes pins, mentholatum. I just can't
> get around the smell. Mine's a good brand, Three Crabs or something
> like that; and granted the taste is mild, just a salty, rich taste
> that makes a good dipping sauce. But that smell! *I'm not a neutral
> scent fanatic. I don't mind the smells of frying permeating the house,
> or a long braise or even sauteeing onions and garlic. *My wife must
> have some hound dog in her genes; she can tell if I've looked at a
> clove of garlic within the past three hours. She didn't mind the smell
> of my simmering fish sauce; in fact, she kinda liked it. Me? I was
> ready to abandon ship, sell the house or raze it and rebuild. Naw!
> Just dump the fish sauce and note it as another "cannot do."
>
> How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope? *How do you explain
> to guests that your sewer system is fine and that neither you nor your
> pets are flatulent or dead and that so far as you know there's nothing
> rotting beneath your house?

I totally agree with you- I won't buy it, especially after watching a
show that showed how it's made- yuk!! I just do without...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark > wrote:

> But that smell!

How do you use it, then? You should never put it into a hot pan by
itself. It should be mixed with some other liquid first, then it will
not smell so much, if at all.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 7:25*am, stark > wrote:

> How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope? *How do you explain
> to guests that your sewer system is fine and that neither you nor your
> pets are flatulent or dead and that so far as you know there's nothing
> rotting beneath your house?

The only solution is to just not use it. I'm used to the smell and
tthe rfesulting taste, so the smell portion of it doesn't get to me in
the least.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George said...

> stark wrote:
>> I've tried everything: masks, clothes pins, mentholatum. I just can't
>> get around the smell. Mine's a good brand, Three Crabs or something
>> like that; and granted the taste is mild, just a salty, rich taste
>> that makes a good dipping sauce. But that smell! I'm not a neutral
>> scent fanatic. I don't mind the smells of frying permeating the house,
>> or a long braise or even sauteeing onions and garlic. My wife must
>> have some hound dog in her genes; she can tell if I've looked at a
>> clove of garlic within the past three hours. She didn't mind the smell
>> of my simmering fish sauce; in fact, she kinda liked it. Me? I was
>> ready to abandon ship, sell the house or raze it and rebuild. Naw!
>> Just dump the fish sauce and note it as another "cannot do."
>>
>> How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope? How do you explain
>> to guests that your sewer system is fine and that neither you nor your
>> pets are flatulent or dead and that so far as you know there's nothing
>> rotting beneath your house?

> You must have some particular sensitivity to its odor. I open the bottle
> and pour out the small amount and proceed without even thinking about
> it. Maybe open the bottle and dispense what you need under the range
> hood the next time?

I used required fish sauce to make Thai chicken satay. It smelled putrid
after 24 hours of marinating but bbq'd up delicious! Now it's a GOUT ATTACK
waiting to happen.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> I've tried everything: masks, clothes pins, mentholatum. I just can't
> get around the smell. Mine's a good brand, Three Crabs or something
> like that; and granted the taste is mild, just a salty, rich taste
> that makes a good dipping sauce. But that smell! I'm not a neutral
> scent fanatic. I don't mind the smells of frying permeating the house,
> or a long braise or even sauteeing onions and garlic. My wife must
> have some hound dog in her genes; she can tell if I've looked at a
> clove of garlic within the past three hours. She didn't mind the smell
> of my simmering fish sauce; in fact, she kinda liked it. Me? I was
> ready to abandon ship, sell the house or raze it and rebuild. Naw!
> Just dump the fish sauce and note it as another "cannot do."
>
> How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope? How do you explain
> to guests that your sewer system is fine and that neither you nor your
> pets are flatulent or dead and that so far as you know there's nothing
> rotting beneath your house?

You said it well.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> stark wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope? How do you explain
>> to guests that your sewer system is fine and that neither you nor your
>> pets are flatulent or dead and that so far as you know there's nothing
>> rotting beneath your house?

> Since I use it frequently, no it doesn't bother me. Had some on noodles
> at lunch today.
> Anyone who eats at our house and *doesn't* like fish sauce doesn't get
> any. Why would I explain anything to anyone any way

I was staying with a friend for a couple days a few months ago. We'd been
shopping, and I picked up a can of sardines for snacking. Later that day
or the next, I was sitting at his dining room table with my laptop,
reading newsgroups and he was in his office, doing whatever, when I
remembered the sardines. I got them, and within a minute of my opening
the tin, he was *jogging* all around the house, opening windows and
doors and turning on fans. Crissakes! You'd have thought I'd opened a
jar of skunk.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" > wrote in message
> I've tried everything: masks, clothes pins, mentholatum. I just can't
> get around the smell. Mine's a good brand, Three Crabs or something
> like that; and granted the taste is mild, just a salty, rich taste
> that makes a good dipping sauce.

Three crabs is the best I have ever tasted. I used to use Tipparos because
it was easy to find. But I got some 3 Crabs mail order and am hooked.
Crying Baby brand is supposed to be even better. I will get some when I and
out of the 3 Crabs.

>But that smell! I'm not a neutral
> scent fanatic. I don't mind the smells of frying permeating the house,
> or a long braise or even sauteeing onions and garlic. My wife must
> have some hound dog in her genes; she can tell if I've looked at a
> clove of garlic within the past three hours. She didn't mind the smell
> of my simmering fish sauce; in fact, she kinda liked it. Me? I was
> ready to abandon ship, sell the house or raze it and rebuild. Naw!
> Just dump the fish sauce and note it as another "cannot do."

Seems I know way too many people who cary cans of Glade around wherever they
go. They never are invoted to my home for dinner. I made the mistake of
this last Christmas and said person destroyed my dinner.

> How about you? Do it bother you? How do you cope? How do you explain
> to guests that your sewer system is fine and that neither you nor your
> pets are flatulent or dead and that so far as you know there's nothing
> rotting beneath your house?

I don't. If they don't get it they don't get it. You simply cannot change
a thing about them. Don't even bother with them it is a lost cause.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 12:03 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> stark > wrote:
> > But that smell!

> How do you use it, then? You should never put it into a hot pan by
> itself. It should be mixed with some other liquid first, then it will
> not smell so much, if at all.
>
> Victor

Equal parts water, rice vinegar and sugar, heated to dissolve the
sugar, then added a smaller part of fish sauce, clove of garlic and
some dried crushed chilies. I didn't let it boil but within minutes
the aroma permeated the house. Yek!

I've asked before if fish sauce could go bad. Mine's a year or so old.
The answers then were along the lines of "how could it get any
worse?" And as I said, once prepared, we used it; little aroma, a
salty, sour, slightly sweet taste and we didn't get ill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:10:37 -0700 (PDT), stark
> wrote:

>On Jun 9, 12:03 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
>> stark > wrote:
>> > But that smell!

>> How do you use it, then? You should never put it into a hot pan by
>> itself. It should be mixed with some other liquid first, then it will
>> not smell so much, if at all.
>>
>> Victor

>Equal parts water, rice vinegar and sugar, heated to dissolve the
>sugar, then added a smaller part of fish sauce, clove of garlic and
>some dried crushed chilies. I didn't let it boil but within minutes
>the aroma permeated the house. Yek!
>
>I've asked before if fish sauce could go bad. Mine's a year or so old.
>The answers then were along the lines of "how could it get any
>worse?" And as I said, once prepared, we used it; little aroma, a
>salty, sour, slightly sweet taste and we didn't get ill.

one year should be no problem. i read somewhere (no cite, sorry) that
it can last up to five years if refrigerated, two if not. you're
right, there's not much there to 'spoil.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:41:36 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"stark" > wrote in message
>
>>But that smell! I'm not a neutral
>> scent fanatic. I don't mind the smells of frying permeating the house,
>> or a long braise or even sauteeing onions and garlic. My wife must
>> have some hound dog in her genes; she can tell if I've looked at a
>> clove of garlic within the past three hours. She didn't mind the smell
>> of my simmering fish sauce; in fact, she kinda liked it. Me? I was
>> ready to abandon ship, sell the house or raze it and rebuild. Naw!
>> Just dump the fish sauce and note it as another "cannot do."

>Seems I know way too many people who cary cans of Glade around wherever they
>go. They never are invoted to my home for dinner. I made the mistake of
>this last Christmas and said person destroyed my dinner.

dear god. besides being extremely rude to bring it yo *your* house,
glade itself stinks worse than anything it could be covering up.
something is wrong with those people. are they control freaks or
compulsive in other ways?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:10:37 -0700 (PDT), stark
> > wrote:

> >> How do you use it, then? You should never put it into a hot pan by
> >> itself. It should be mixed with some other liquid first, then it will
> >> not smell so much, if at all.
> >>
> >> Victor

> >Equal parts water, rice vinegar and sugar, heated to dissolve the
> >sugar, then added a smaller part of fish sauce, clove of garlic and
> >some dried crushed chilies. I didn't let it boil but within minutes
> >the aroma permeated the house. Yek!
> >
> >I've asked before if fish sauce could go bad. Mine's a year or so old.
> >The answers then were along the lines of "how could it get any
> >worse?" And as I said, once prepared, we used it; little aroma, a
> >salty, sour, slightly sweet taste and we didn't get ill.

> one year should be no problem. i read somewhere (no cite, sorry) that
> it can last up to five years if refrigerated, two if not. you're
> right, there's not much there to 'spoil.'
>
> your pal,
> blake

My last bottle of 'Tiparos' lasted for two years. At the end it had
large salt crystals in it. Not buying it any more cos now it has sugar
in it...yuk!