Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.pets,alt.pets

Default CDC took days to Warn of E.Coli Spinach Outbreak

CDC Took Days To Warn Of E.Coli Outbreak
http://www.wesh.com/news/10416448/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- This summer's massive spinach recall was a
health emergency that shook the nation. Bags of fresh spinach
were pulled from stores' shelves after people got sick and
some even died. Some of the youngest victims are just now
coming home from the hospital, WESH 2 News reported.

In September, a nationwide recall was ordered after
E. coli-tainted spinach killed three people and sickened hundreds.

Just after 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 8, a Wisconsin microbiologist
sent an urgent message to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
via a national computer database known as PulseNet.

The only problem was that everyone at the CDC had gone home for
the weekend. Since it was after 5 p.m. in Atlanta, the urgent
sat on their computer all weekend.

The heightened response is due in large part to the anthrax scare.
In fact, a dozen bacteria have been turned into weapons.

The CDC has not made any changes and said PulseNet worked just fine.

Scientists cross pigs with spinach (2002):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1780541.stm

Nat. Pork-Spinach Board says: Spinach incident raises nagging safety questions
http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...ety-questions/
"On the whole, we believe the most powerful benefits
for consumers and the public at-large come from
commercial grade agriculture," said Grow America President
Brose McVey.

Spice coatings may make produce safer
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...611300373/1040

Oregano-flavored tomatoes or cinnamon-flavored apples
brightly wrapped in edible colored films could soon
protect consumers from outbreaks of food-borne disease.
Scientists have created an all-natural, microbe-killing
coating for fruits and vegetables made out of apple
puree and natural proteins mixed with oils of oregano,
lemon grass or cinnamon.

Commonly consumed as spices or in other foods, these
"essential oils" are safe for people but readily kill microbes.
Three minutes of exposure to a coating containing oregano oil
killed half of the Escherichia coli bacteria in a sample of
the microbes.

In the wake of the recent outbreak of E. coli in spinach
that sickened 200 people and left three dead, the coatings
could offer consumers safer fresh produce.

"These antimicrobial edible films and coatings offer an
alternative way to further improve the safety of foods,"
said food engineer Tara H. McHugh of the U.S. Department of Agriculture,
the project's lead scientist.

McHugh and her colleagues published their findings in this
week's Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

The USDA researchers have collaborated with a company called
Origami Foods to test vegetable films. The first commercial
antimicrobial coatings could be available within the next year,
McHugh said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.pets,alt.pets

Grow America Project
http://www.growamericaproject.org/le...rose_mcvey.asp
In 2002, McVey was the Republican Nominee for Congress in
Indiana's 7th Congressional District. His challenge
to a long-time incumbent attracted national attention,
and visits by Vice President Cheney, numerous cabinet secretaries
and members of Congress.

Healthy, Flavorful Wraps Enhance Sushi-Style Delicacies
http://ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2005/050726.htm

Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientists at Albany, Calif.,
and research partner Origami Foods, LLC, based in Pleasanton, Calif.,
are experimenting with dozens of delicious, attractively colored wraps.
For example, they've tested a bright-orange carrot-based wrap to
encircle a cucumber, garlic and rice filling, and a deep-red tomato
and basil wrap to hold a spicy tuna and rice filling.

The wraps, which can be produced as soft, pliable sheets,
are made with infrared drying and other leading-edge technologies,
according to Tara H. McHugh, who heads the
ARS Processed Foods Research Unit at Albany.

McHugh, Albany colleague Carl W. Olsen--both food
technologists--and Origami Foods owner and president
Matthew de Bord have applied for a product patent.
The tasty, imaginative wraps rank as the newest in
the line of fruit- and vegetable-based edibles from
McHugh's laboratory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cross-posting snipped

Here we go again... what this has to do with rec.pets or alt.pets or really
even rec.food.cooking is beyond me. In fact, it has little to do with
anything other than fear-mongering. Gee, surprise, food might get
contaminated. Gee, surprise, sometimes things get infected. Ever get
sneezed on when you were a kid? Guess what? You were infected. And you
probably infected everyone else at school, too, even if you didn't show any
symptoms.

Granted it is not on the same level as e.Coli but hey, stuff happens. The
problem was reported by a medical outfit in Wisconsin, the source was found
and everything was cleaned up.

Why are you still blethering about it?

Jill

Brose McVey wrote:
> CDC Took Days To Warn Of E.Coli Outbreak
> http://www.wesh.com/news/10416448/detail.html
>
> ORLANDO, Fla. -- This summer's massive spinach recall was a
> health emergency that shook the nation. Bags of fresh spinach
> were pulled from stores' shelves after people got sick and
> some even died. Some of the youngest victims are just now
> coming home from the hospital, WESH 2 News reported.
>
> In September, a nationwide recall was ordered after
> E. coli-tainted spinach killed three people and sickened hundreds.
>
> Just after 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 8, a Wisconsin microbiologist
> sent an urgent message to the Centers for Disease Control and
> Prevention via a national computer database known as PulseNet.
>
> The only problem was that everyone at the CDC had gone home for
> the weekend. Since it was after 5 p.m. in Atlanta, the urgent
> sat on their computer all weekend.
>
> The heightened response is due in large part to the anthrax scare.
> In fact, a dozen bacteria have been turned into weapons.
>
> The CDC has not made any changes and said PulseNet worked just fine.
>
> Scientists cross pigs with spinach (2002):
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1780541.stm
>
> Nat. Pork-Spinach Board says: Spinach incident raises nagging safety
> questions

http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...ety-questions/
> "On the whole, we believe the most powerful benefits for consumers
> and the public at-large come from commercial grade agriculture," said
> Grow America President Brose McVey.
>
> Spice coatings may make produce safer

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...611300373/1040

> Oregano-flavored tomatoes or cinnamon-flavored apples
> brightly wrapped in edible colored films could soon
> protect consumers from outbreaks of food-borne disease.
> Scientists have created an all-natural, microbe-killing
> coating for fruits and vegetables made out of apple
> puree and natural proteins mixed with oils of oregano,
> lemon grass or cinnamon.
>
> Commonly consumed as spices or in other foods, these
> "essential oils" are safe for people but readily kill microbes.
> Three minutes of exposure to a coating containing oregano oil
> killed half of the Escherichia coli bacteria in a sample of
> the microbes.
>
> In the wake of the recent outbreak of E. coli in spinach
> that sickened 200 people and left three dead, the coatings
> could offer consumers safer fresh produce.
>
> "These antimicrobial edible films and coatings offer an
> alternative way to further improve the safety of foods,"
> said food engineer Tara H. McHugh of the U.S. Department of
> Agriculture, the project's lead scientist.
>
> McHugh and her colleagues published their findings in this
> week's Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
>
> The USDA researchers have collaborated with a company called
> Origami Foods to test vegetable films. The first commercial
> antimicrobial coatings could be available within the next year,
> McHugh said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Cross-posting snipped
>
> Here we go again... what this has to do with rec.pets or alt.pets or really
> even rec.food.cooking is beyond me. In fact, it has little to do with
> anything other than fear-mongering. Gee, surprise, food might get
> contaminated. Gee, surprise, sometimes things get infected. Ever get
> sneezed on when you were a kid? Guess what? You were infected. And you
> probably infected everyone else at school, too, even if you didn't show any
> symptoms.
>
> Granted it is not on the same level as e.Coli but hey, stuff happens. The
> problem was reported by a medical outfit in Wisconsin, the source was found
> and everything was cleaned up.
>
> Why are you still blethering about it?
>
> Jill

Um, because the federal government has yet again shown itself to be
monumentally incompetent?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Cross-posting snipped
>>
>> Here we go again... what this has to do with rec.pets or alt.pets or
>> really even rec.food.cooking is beyond me. In fact, it has little
>> to do with anything other than fear-mongering. Gee, surprise, food
>> might get contaminated. Gee, surprise, sometimes things get
>> infected. Ever get sneezed on when you were a kid? Guess what?
>> You were infected. And you probably infected everyone else at
>> school, too, even if you didn't show any symptoms.
>>
>> Granted it is not on the same level as e.Coli but hey, stuff
>> happens. The problem was reported by a medical outfit in Wisconsin,
>> the source was found and everything was cleaned up.
>>
>> Why are you still blethering about it?
>>
>> Jill

> Um, because the federal government has yet again shown itself to be
> monumentally incompetent?
>
> Isaac

Your opinion of the federal government aside, it has little to do with
outbreaks of e.Coli or any other food-born illness in spinach being
reported. Check your facts. If a particular state doesn't report an
outbreak of foodborn illness to the CDC it doesn't come to the attention of
anyone, much less the attention of the federal government. You cannot blame
the federal government for not acting when it doesn't know about something.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Your opinion of the federal government aside, it has little to do with
> outbreaks of e.Coli or any other food-born illness in spinach being
> reported. Check your facts. If a particular state doesn't report an
> outbreak of foodborn illness to the CDC it doesn't come to the attention of
> anyone, much less the attention of the federal government. You cannot blame
> the federal government for not acting when it doesn't know about something.
>
> Jill

And others will complain if they perceive the government as being overly
alarmist.... damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> isw wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>
>>> Cross-posting snipped
>>>
>>> Here we go again... what this has to do with rec.pets or alt.pets or
>>> really even rec.food.cooking is beyond me. In fact, it has little
>>> to do with anything other than fear-mongering. Gee, surprise, food
>>> might get contaminated. Gee, surprise, sometimes things get
>>> infected. Ever get sneezed on when you were a kid? Guess what?
>>> You were infected. And you probably infected everyone else at
>>> school, too, even if you didn't show any symptoms.
>>>
>>> Granted it is not on the same level as e.Coli but hey, stuff
>>> happens. The problem was reported by a medical outfit in Wisconsin,
>>> the source was found and everything was cleaned up.
>>>
>>> Why are you still blethering about it?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Um, because the federal government has yet again shown itself to be
>> monumentally incompetent?
>>
>> Isaac

> Your opinion of the federal government aside, it has little to do with
> outbreaks of e.Coli or any other food-born illness in spinach being
> reported. Check your facts. If a particular state doesn't report an
> outbreak of foodborn illness to the CDC it doesn't come to the attention
> of
> anyone, much less the attention of the federal government. You cannot
> blame
> the federal government for not acting when it doesn't know about
> something.
>
> Jill

Jill, the article said a message was sent to the CDC, but nothing was done
because of the weekend. That is ridiculous. Part of that agency's mandate is
to deal with emergencies. Are weekends an exception?