Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pigeon Peas?

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I was browsing some interesting articles on South African Cuisine and
> came across the recipe below. It looks pretty good. Okay, call me
> rock stupid but I don't know where to buy pigeon peas.

Check the supermarket. They carry a lot of different canned vegetables
that if you aren't specifically looking for you just don't notice.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "Default User" >
> :
>
>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>
>>> I was browsing some interesting articles on South African Cuisine and
>>> came across the recipe below. It looks pretty good. Okay, call me
>>> rock stupid but I don't know where to buy pigeon peas.

>> Check the supermarket. They carry a lot of different canned vegetables
>> that if you aren't specifically looking for you just don't notice.
>>

>> Brian

> I just checked Dierbergs and couldn't find them or the field peas that was
> suggested as a substitute. I'll check Straubs and the Global Market in
> Kirkwood this afternoon.
>
> Michael

You're in Chicago, right? Don't your stores carry Goya products?

If you can't find it by tomorrow, look up a wholesaler called Dearborn. They
carry quite a bit of Hispanic foods, and should be able to tell you where to
find these peas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
86.121...
>> "Default User" >
>> :
>>>
>>> Check the supermarket. They carry a lot of different canned vegetables
>>> that if you aren't specifically looking for you just don't notice.

>> I just checked Dierbergs and couldn't find them or the field peas that was
>> suggested as a substitute. I'll check Straubs and the Global Market in
>> Kirkwood this afternoon.

>You're in Chicago, right? Don't your stores carry Goya products?
>If you can't find it by tomorrow, look up a wholesaler called Dearborn. They
>carry quite a bit of Hispanic foods, and should be able to tell you where to
>find these peas.

I wasn't aware you could buy them canned. The dry peas are very
popular in India (dal or dhal), so you may have luck finding them in
an Indian deli. The fresh peas are quite nice to eat too, but they're
rather a pain to shell out, so I've more or less retired my plants.
I've never tried the sprouted version mentioned in the extract below.

For the record:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_pea>

<Quoting extract>
Pigeon pea
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cajanus cajan
(L.) Millsp.
The pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan, syn. Cajanus indicus) is a member
of the family Fabaceae. Other common names are arhar, red gram,
toovar, toor, togari, gandul, Congo pea, Gungo pea, and no-eye pea.

The cultivation of the pigeon pea goes back at least 3000 years.
The centre of origin is most likely Asia, from where it travelled
to East Africa and by means of the slave trade to the American
continent. Today pigeon peas are widely cultivated in all tropical
and semi-tropical regions of both the Old and the New World.

Pigeonpea is an important grain legume crop of rainfed agriculture
in the semi-arid tropics. The Indian subcontinent, Eastern Africa
and Central America, in that order, are the world's three main
pigeonpea-producing regions.

[snip]

Pigeon peas are both a food crop (dried peas, flour, or green
vegetable peas) and a forage/cover crop. The dried peas may be
sprouted briefly, then cooked, for a flavor different from the
green or dried peas.

In India, split pigeon peas (toor dal) are one of the most popular
pulses—along with chickpeas (chana), urad and mung. It is also
called as 'Tuvara Parippu' in Kerala.

Pigeon peas are nutritionally important, as they contain high
levels of protein and the important amino acids methionine,
lysine, and tryptophan. In combination with cereals, pigeon peas
make a well balanced human food.

In some places, such as the Dominican Republic and Hawaii, pigeon
peas are grown for canning.
</quoting>

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phred" > wrote in message
> In article >, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>>"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
. 186.121...
>>> "Default User" >
>>> :

>>> I just checked Dierbergs and couldn't find them or the field peas that
>>> was
>>> suggested as a substitute. I'll check Straubs and the Global Market in
>>> Kirkwood this afternoon.

>>You're in Chicago, right? Don't your stores carry Goya products?
>>If you can't find it by tomorrow, look up a wholesaler called Dearborn.
>>They
>>carry quite a bit of Hispanic foods, and should be able to tell you where
>>find these peas.

> I wasn't aware you could buy them canned. The dry peas are very
> popular in India (dal or dhal), so you may have luck finding them in
> an Indian deli. The fresh peas are quite nice to eat too, but they're
> rather a pain to shell out, so I've more or less retired my plants.
> I've never tried the sprouted version mentioned in the extract below.

Goya Gandules Verdes - Green Pigeon Peas
15 oz can
UPC code 41331-12001

Pigeon peas - ping Dog3 Default User General Cooking 2 16-12-2006 02:49 PM
Pigeon Peas? Pete C. General Cooking 0 19-11-2006 04:29 PM
Pigeon Peas? Chatty Cathy General Cooking 0 19-11-2006 03:05 PM
Pigeon Peas? JoeSpareBedroom General Cooking 0 19-11-2006 02:51 PM
Split Pigeon Peas (Toor Daal) Ronnie Rao General Cooking 7 12-12-2004 09:48 AM