Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pigeon peas - ping Dog3

We discussed pigeon peas some weeks ago, I believe. I saw them at the
Schnucks near me in the Mexican food section. In case you decide to
make whatever recipe that was again, try there.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default peas pigeon field Pigeon peas - ping Dog3

I'm no expert on beans When I was in Chicago, there were a few recipies
where I used gandules, which I think are pigeon peas.

Now, in white suburban Detroit, I struggle to find anything I would
choose to eat.

Made a rice/ coconut milk/ bean thing the other day where I wanted
gandules but used 'field peas' (because the picture on the can looked
similar), a new thing to me.

Didn't exactly work. Gandules can go sweet, but it seems, from this one
test, that field peas might better do a hearty thing.

What bean am I eating?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gazpachinator wrote:

> I'm no expert on beans When I was in Chicago, there were a few recipies
> where I used gandules, which I think are pigeon peas.
>
> Now, in white suburban Detroit, I struggle to find anything I would
> choose to eat.
>
> Made a rice/ coconut milk/ bean thing the other day where I wanted
> gandules but used 'field peas' (because the picture on the can looked
> similar), a new thing to me.
>
> Didn't exactly work. Gandules can go sweet, but it seems, from this one
> test, that field peas might better do a hearty thing.
>
> What bean am I eating?

Peas are what you're eating. Field, aka "lady" peas are a form of
crowder peas, aka another southern pea. You're right, they're not sweet
but are a hearty dish with a little ham added they're excellent. Not to
bad right out of the can with a little hot sauce once they've been
heated up.

George

Pigeon Peas? Default User General Cooking 3 21-11-2006 02:43 PM
Pigeon Peas? Pete C. General Cooking 0 19-11-2006 04:29 PM
Pigeon Peas? Chatty Cathy General Cooking 0 19-11-2006 03:05 PM
Pigeon Peas? JoeSpareBedroom General Cooking 0 19-11-2006 02:51 PM
Split Pigeon Peas (Toor Daal) Ronnie Rao General Cooking 7 12-12-2004 09:48 AM