Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mark Bittman Found a New No-Knead Artisan Bread Technique

Oh pshaw, on Sat 11 Nov 2006 12:09:04a, Serene meant to say...

> On 10 Nov 2006 22:34:13 -0800, "Leila" >
> wrote:
>
>>It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
>>could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
>>rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
>>preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.

> I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
> wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
> a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
> very *useful*, but yummy.

Useful? LOL! Wouldn't eating it be the bottom line?

--
Wayne Boatwright

(I may not agree with a word you say, but I shall
defend unto my death your right to say it. (Voltaire)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...agewanted=all#

Recipe he

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

I'm not going to reprint it for fear of the Times getting after me. But
it's a very wet dough (1 5/8 cup water to 3 cups flour), uses very
little yeast (1/4 tsp of instant yeast - probably a little more if
using active dry).

I have not tried it. The article makes it sound super easy.

I think I'm going to make the bread with my little boys. They like to
bake and they will be able to measure and stir. No big deal...

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leila wrote:
> It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
> could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
> rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
> preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...agewanted=all#
>
> Recipe he
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
>
> I'm not going to reprint it for fear of the Times getting after me. But
> it's a very wet dough (1 5/8 cup water to 3 cups flour), uses very
> little yeast (1/4 tsp of instant yeast - probably a little more if
> using active dry).
>
> I have not tried it. The article makes it sound super easy.
>
> I think I'm going to make the bread with my little boys. They like to
> bake and they will be able to measure and stir. No big deal...
>
> Leila

Reading the comments in the Times cooking forum - people there are
baking it and raving.

You ought to watch the video, too. (I love Mark Bittman. And the baker
who shows him the technique makes me miss New York and New Yorkers.)

So you take 3 cups of flour (AP or bread), mix in a bowl with 1/4 tsp.
INSTANT yeast and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Then you pour in either 1 1/2 or 1
5/8 cups water (discrepancy between video and printed recipe). Stir it
well until it's mixed thoroughly. It should be a wet, shaggy mess.
Cover with plastic and let sit for 14-20 hours at about 70 degrees, he
says, but people were reporting cooler temperatures did ok for longer
times.

Next day you turn the dough out, fold it a couple of times into a messy
ball, put it on a cloth sprinkled iwth flour, cornmeal or wheat bran,
cover w more flour and another towel, and let rise two hours.

Preheat the oven for a long time - half an hour - at 500 or 450 - again
with the video/home recipe discrepancy. Make sure you preheat the
cooking pot with it - a dutch oven, clay baker, or Pyrex with lid.

Dump the dough seam side up into the hot pan. THe chef burned himself
while doing thsi so pay attention. Bake covered at high temp for 30
minutes - the cover does for it what the $5,000 steam injector ovens
do. Take cover off and bake another 15 minutes. Turn it out to cool for
some time. Eat.

Watch the video to get the idea. May require signing up (free) with the
NY Times.

Let me repeat that you stir it about as much as you would a decent
pancake batter. Unbelievable. Harold McGee himself posited the reason
why this works - the long slow rise works on the gluten the way
kneading does.

L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
>could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
>rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
>preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.

I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
very *useful*, but yummy.
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leila wrote:

> It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
> could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
> rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
> preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...agewanted=all#
>
> Recipe he
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
>
> I'm not going to reprint it for fear of the Times getting after me. But
> it's a very wet dough (1 5/8 cup water to 3 cups flour), uses very
> little yeast (1/4 tsp of instant yeast - probably a little more if
> using active dry).
>
> I have not tried it. The article makes it sound super easy.
>
> I think I'm going to make the bread with my little boys. They like to
> bake and they will be able to measure and stir. No big deal...

I strongly recommend _No Need To Knead_, by Suzanne Dunaway. The book is
chock-full of good bread recipes similar to the one being described above.
Particularly noteworthy is the hazelnut-sage filoncino; it's some of the
best bread I've ever made.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 11 Nov 2006 01:52:49a, meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 11 Nov 2006 12:09:04a, Serene meant to say...
>>
>> > I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
>> > wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
>> > a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
>> > very *useful*, but yummy.

>> Useful? LOL! Wouldn't eating it be the bottom line?

> Sure, but we tend to like to use bread for things other than just
> eating it plain. James says he likes it, though. It's like ciabatta,
> but tastier, and he thinks it would make killer burger buns. If you
> split it horizontally, you'd get one huge bun. James says he's up for
> testing out the huge burger that would go inside.

I see you point, but our goals in bread-baking are different. I don't bake
bread as often as I used to because I can't afford to eat that much of it.
When I do bake bread, I prefer eating slices or chunks of it with just
butter on it, either with a meal or by itself. If the bread is a day or so
older, I would probably toast it. I never use it for sandwiches. I simply
*must* bake this bread!

--
Wayne Boatwright

(I may not agree with a word you say, but I shall
defend unto my death your right to say it. (Voltaire)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 11 Nov 2006 12:09:04a, Serene meant to say...
>
> > On 10 Nov 2006 22:34:13 -0800, "Leila" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
> >>could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
> >>rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
> >>preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.

> > I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
> > wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
> > a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
> > very *useful*, but yummy.

> Useful? LOL! Wouldn't eating it be the bottom line?

Sure, but we tend to like to use bread for things other than just
eating it plain. James says he likes it, though. It's like ciabatta,
but tastier, and he thinks it would make killer burger buns. If you
split it horizontally, you'd get one huge bun. James says he's up for
testing out the huge burger that would go inside.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2006 22:34:13 -0800, "Leila" >
> wrote:
>
>> It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
>> could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
>> rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
>> preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.

> I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
> wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
> a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
> very *useful*, but yummy.

I found it too wet to make a ball. I added more flour. Try
that or cutting back a bit on the water.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Serene wrote:

> I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
> wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
> a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
> very *useful*, but yummy.
> --

The full story in the NY Times was quite interesting. My first try was
not a fully round ball either but higher than a "flattish disk".
Definitely worth trying again, as the interior texture and crust were
really good. Plus it gives me something to do with the long unused
cast iron dutch oven. I may not have let the second rise go long
enough. One drawback to the method is that you can't really control
when the finished product will be finished. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Serene wrote:
>
>> I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
>> wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
>> a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
>> very *useful*, but yummy.
>> --

> The full story in the NY Times was quite interesting. My first try was
> not a fully round ball either but higher than a "flattish disk".
> Definitely worth trying again, as the interior texture and crust were
> really good. Plus it gives me something to do with the long unused
> cast iron dutch oven. I may not have let the second rise go long
> enough. One drawback to the method is that you can't really control
> when the finished product will be finished. -aem

I've let the dough rise for the first time, variously, from
12 hours to 28 hours. Second rise from 45 minutes to 4
hours. Good any of the ways.

Longer first rise gives a more developed flavor and color.

Longer second rise gives bigger holes, more like ciabatta,
which I happen not to much like.

I did this morning's in a Visions 4.5 liter glass pot, not
on a baking sheet. I'm going back to using the sheetpan as
an underliner. The bottom crust was scorched. Microplane
fixed that.

Less water than they used in either the article or the
video. About 1 1/3 cups.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:22:35 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>> On 10 Nov 2006 22:34:13 -0800, "Leila" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
>>> could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
>>> rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
>>> preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.

>> I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
>> wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
>> a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
>> very *useful*, but yummy.

>I found it too wet to make a ball. I added more flour. Try
>that or cutting back a bit on the water.

Yep, this time I'm gonna use a cup and a half of water rather than a
cup and five eighths. We'll see how it goes. I really want a better
scale so I can weigh my bread ingredients instead of measuring by the
cup.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:22:35 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:
>
> >Serene wrote:

> >> I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
> >> wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
> >> a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
> >> very *useful*, but yummy.

> >I found it too wet to make a ball. I added more flour. Try
> >that or cutting back a bit on the water.

> Yep, this time I'm gonna use a cup and a half of water rather than a
> cup and five eighths. We'll see how it goes. I really want a better
> scale so I can weigh my bread ingredients instead of measuring by the
> cup.
>
> Serene

I've got this loaf in the final rise right now. I probably added 1.5
cups of water and got a really slack dough, similar to Leila's
experience. Next time I'd go with 1 1/3 cups of water.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 04:28:20 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>I've got this loaf in the final rise right now. I probably added 1.5
>cups of water and got a really slack dough, similar to Leila's
>experience. Next time I'd go with 1 1/3 cups of water.

Mine with 1.5 cups ended up slack, but workable, and the bread itself
came out much better than the previous effort, but still not the best
bread I've ever had or anything.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Yep, this time I'm gonna use a cup and a half of water rather than a
> cup and five eighths. We'll see how it goes. I really want a better
> scale so I can weigh my bread ingredients instead of measuring by the
> cup.

Mark Bittman's article on the NYT website

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html

has a link to a video in which Jim Lahey gives a demo of the technique.
In the video, he uses 1.5 cups of water, slightly less than what Bittman
specifies in his "adapted" recipe. Lahey also recommends baking at 500
to 515 degrees F. Bittman uses 450.

Cindy baked one of these tonight, using the same Le Creuset pot shown in
the video. I just tried it and can confirm that it is yummy. Crisp
crust, slightly moist interior, good texture and flavor. Not optimal
for sandwiches, since the bubbles are so large. But this is one of
those breads that does not need butter, or anything else.

As mentioned by others, there is a thread about this technique on the
eGullet forums.

<http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=95345&mode=threaded>

There are a lot of messages in this thread, with reports of many
experiments and variations. Bittman posted a response, with a few more
observations from his own trials.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leila,
Thanks for your perfectly legal description of what is shown in
the video. The video has been archived and us chickens now must now pay
to see it.
Three questions:
* What prevents the dough from sticking to a piping hot pot?
* Can this recipe be adapted for pizza dough?
* If so, can you tell us how?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article >,
> > >
> > >I found it too wet to make a ball. I added more flour. Try
> > >that or cutting back a bit on the water.

> > Yep, this time I'm gonna use a cup and a half of water rather than a
> > cup and five eighths. We'll see how it goes. I really want a better
> > scale so I can weigh my bread ingredients instead of measuring by the
> > cup.
> >
> > Serene

> I've got this loaf in the final rise right now. I probably added 1.5
> cups of water and got a really slack dough, similar to Leila's
> experience. Next time I'd go with 1 1/3 cups of water.
>
> Cindy

Yeap, 1 5/8 cup water made a batter. Didn't rise so much as spread out.
I potted it anyway.
Mine had a nice rise not a full boule but higher than focaccia with
cracker-like crust, but the center was not fully cooked. AND IT STUCK
TO THE HOT DUTCH OVEN. Had to tear it up to get it
out. Don't know if the too liquid dough or the dry pot made it stick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> The full story in the NY Times was quite interesting. My first try was
> not a fully round ball either but higher than a "flattish disk".
> Definitely worth trying again, as the interior texture and crust were
> really good. Plus it gives me something to do with the long unused
> cast iron dutch oven. I may not have let the second rise go long
> enough. One drawback to the method is that you can't really control
> when the finished product will be finished. -aem

'Bout the same rise. My crust was cracker-crisp; crumb not quite done,
so
I don't think a higher tempt would work. But mine totally stuck to the
bottom
of my enamel cast iron pot. You think a spritz of oil would stop that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

stark wrote:
> aem wrote:
>
> > The full story in the NY Times was quite interesting. My first try was
> > not a fully round ball either but higher than a "flattish disk".
> > Definitely worth trying again, as the interior texture and crust were
> > really good. Plus it gives me something to do with the long unused
> > cast iron dutch oven. I may not have let the second rise go long
> > enough. One drawback to the method is that you can't really control
> > when the finished product will be finished. -aem

> 'Bout the same rise. My crust was cracker-crisp; crumb not quite done,
> so
> I don't think a higher tempt would work. But mine totally stuck to the
> bottom
> of my enamel cast iron pot. You think a spritz of oil would stop that?

I used the old cast iron pot, not the enameled one. The cast iron is
still well seasoned, even though it's used rarely. Why not just wipe
your pot with an oily paper towel just before putting it in the oven to
preheat? I don't know why your loaf stuck, mine didn't at all, so I
don't know if this would cure the problem, but it can't hurt to try.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> I don't think a higher tempt would work. But mine totally stuck to the
> bottom
> of my enamel cast iron pot. You think a spritz of oil would stop that?

Sheez. At that temp the spritz will probably go up in a ball of smoke
and leave a black residue. There must be a better solution.
My problem is that I can't view the video without paying, which is not
so easy as it sounds.
I will do the bread as soon as I can sort out the procedures involved.
Pizza will be next. Mix the dough. Leave it in peace. Bake.
Ah, simple homemade pleasures are sooo nice...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> I used the old cast iron pot, not the enameled one. The cast iron is
> still well seasoned, even though it's used rarely. Why not just wipe
> your pot with an oily paper towel just before putting it in the oven to
> preheat? I don't know why your loaf stuck, mine didn't at all, so I
> don't know if this would cure the problem, but it can't hurt to try.
> -aem

Well my loaf more than stuck. It was glued in places, maybe a
third of the bottom. Some think a good oil might incinerate at 450,so
I might try much-maligned Pam which reputedly has some sort of
silicon in it. Ouch!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Nov 2006 04:32:20 -0800, "stark" >

>> * What prevents the dough from sticking to a piping hot pot?

>Nothing. Mine stuck horrendously. Don't know if it was the too-wet
>dough or if the pot needed oiling.

Mine didn't stick at all. The cornmeal and/or flour is my guess as to
why.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My dough was pretty loose, so much so that I managed to have half of it
slip out my hands and onto the not-so-clean floor as I was transferring
it from the work surface to the cornmeal covered towel <grrr>. I was
ready to quit but went ahead with the remainder of the dough and got a
very nice ciabatta type loaf. My husband thought it was great.

I watched the video afterwards (d'oh!) and realized that it differs
somewhat from the recipe. He only used 1 1/2 cups water and said to
put the oven at 500-550 (not 450F, as in the recipe). He scooped the
flour directly into the measuring cup from the source where I had
spooned it in. I think the combination of the 1/8 cup less water and a
greater amount of flour (from packing it into the cup that way) will
probably yield me a more shapeable dough next time.

What really amazed me was that, despite my mishap and having dough that
was too wet, it still made a great loaf of bread.

Pat
Serene wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2006 22:34:13 -0800, "Leila" >
> wrote:
>
> >It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
> >could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
> >rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
> >preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.

> I tried it today (started it yesterday). Never got the dough ball he
> wanted, but the bread, while a flattish disk rather than a loaf (think
> a cross between ciabatta and focaccia), was really very tasty. Not
> very *useful*, but yummy.
> --
> "I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.
>
> http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Nov 2006 12:17:45 -0800, "Cryambers" > wrote:

>I watched the video afterwards (d'oh!) and realized that it differs
>somewhat from the recipe. He only used 1 1/2 cups water and said to
>put the oven at 500-550 (not 450F, as in the recipe). He scooped the
>flour directly into the measuring cup from the source where I had
>spooned it in. I think the combination of the 1/8 cup less water and a
>greater amount of flour (from packing it into the cup that way) will
>probably yield me a more shapeable dough next time.
>
>What really amazed me was that, despite my mishap and having dough that
>was too wet, it still made a great loaf of bread.

I'm trying the general principle with whole-wheat flour now that I've
got the loaf down pretty well. My dinner guest tonight doesn't eat
refined flour, but she'll eat whole-wheat.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On 15 Nov 2006 04:32:20 -0800, "stark" >

> >> * What prevents the dough from sticking to a piping hot pot?

> >Nothing. Mine stuck horrendously. Don't know if it was the too-wet
> >dough or if the pot needed oiling.

> Mine didn't stick at all. The cornmeal and/or flour is my guess as to
> why.
>
> Serene

Corn meal has been working for me for decades. I usually bake a panna
rustica which uses moist dough and it's just not a problem. I don't use
corn meal with pizza but it's a somewhat stiffer dough and I use a
perforated pizza pan which is very well seasoned. Maybe you folks
aren't using enough corn meal?

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"stark" > wrote:

> Cindy Fuller wrote:
> > In article >,

> > > Yep, this time I'm gonna use a cup and a half of water rather than a
> > > cup and five eighths. We'll see how it goes. I really want a better
> > > scale so I can weigh my bread ingredients instead of measuring by the
> > > cup.
> > >
> > > Serene

> > I've got this loaf in the final rise right now. I probably added 1.5
> > cups of water and got a really slack dough, similar to Leila's
> > experience. Next time I'd go with 1 1/3 cups of water.
> >
> > Cindy

> Yeap, 1 5/8 cup water made a batter. Didn't rise so much as spread out.
> I potted it anyway.
> Mine had a nice rise not a full boule but higher than focaccia with
> cracker-like crust, but the center was not fully cooked. AND IT STUCK
> TO THE HOT DUTCH OVEN. Had to tear it up to get it
> out. Don't know if the too liquid dough or the dry pot made it stick.

My loaf didn't stick at all, surprisingly. I was worried that the extra
flour on the loaf would char, but it didn't. I'd make it again,
especially since SO liked it.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

No need to knead? Neet...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> aem wrote:
>> I used the old cast iron pot, not the enameled one. The cast iron is
>> still well seasoned, even though it's used rarely. Why not just wipe
>> your pot with an oily paper towel just before putting it in the oven to
>> preheat? I don't know why your loaf stuck, mine didn't at all, so I
>> don't know if this would cure the problem, but it can't hurt to try.
>> -aem

> Well my loaf more than stuck. It was glued in places, maybe a
> third of the bottom. Some think a good oil might incinerate at 450,so
> I might try much-maligned Pam which reputedly has some sort of
> silicon in it. Ouch!

Silicone. And it doesn't. None of the household oils will
spontaneously ignite at 450F. The pot needs to be:
1) very smoothly clean
2) dry
3) heated to at least 450F.

I've done it in glass, cast iron, porous ceramic, glazed
ceramic and enamelled cast iron. No stick.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leila" > wrote in
oups.com:

> It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
> could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
> rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
> preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...087%0A&em=&en=
> d00ed2d2a7471f8e&ex=1163394000&pagewanted=all#
>
> Recipe he
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
>
> I'm not going to reprint it for fear of the Times getting after me.
> But it's a very wet dough (1 5/8 cup water to 3 cups flour), uses very
> little yeast (1/4 tsp of instant yeast - probably a little more if
> using active dry).
>
> I have not tried it. The article makes it sound super easy.
>
> I think I'm going to make the bread with my little boys. They like to
> bake and they will be able to measure and stir. No big deal...

http://www.labellecuisine.com/archiv...meal_bread.htm

Similar thing, easy, tasty.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:51:45 GMT, Charles Quinn
> wrote:

>"Leila" > wrote in
roups.com:

>> It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
>> could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
>> rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
>> preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...087%0A&em=&en=
>> d00ed2d2a7471f8e&ex=1163394000&pagewanted=all#
>>
>> Recipe he
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
>>
>> I'm not going to reprint it for fear of the Times getting after me.
>> But it's a very wet dough (1 5/8 cup water to 3 cups flour), uses very
>> little yeast (1/4 tsp of instant yeast - probably a little more if
>> using active dry).
>>
>> I have not tried it. The article makes it sound super easy.
>>
>> I think I'm going to make the bread with my little boys. They like to
>> bake and they will be able to measure and stir. No big deal...

>http://www.labellecuisine.com/archiv...meal_bread.htm
>
>Similar thing, easy, tasty.

It is not similar.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 18 Nov 2006 08:51:45a, Charles Quinn meant to say...

> "Leila" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
>> could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
>> rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
>> preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...087%0A&em=&en=
>> d00ed2d2a7471f8e&ex=1163394000&pagewanted=all#
>>
>> Recipe he
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
>>
>> I'm not going to reprint it for fear of the Times getting after me.
>> But it's a very wet dough (1 5/8 cup water to 3 cups flour), uses very
>> little yeast (1/4 tsp of instant yeast - probably a little more if
>> using active dry).
>>
>> I have not tried it. The article makes it sound super easy.
>>
>> I think I'm going to make the bread with my little boys. They like to
>> bake and they will be able to measure and stir. No big deal...

> http://www.labellecuisine.com/archiv...meal_bread.htm
>
> Similar thing, easy, tasty.

Easy, tasty, perhaps, but similar only insofar that it's bread.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Iraq's national bird?, 'DUCK'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charles Quinn wrote:
> "Leila" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> It's cool, looks very simple. He says your intelligent eight-year-old
>> could do it. No kneading - you let time do all the work - a long slow
>> rise (14-20 hours). And to get a great crust, you bake the bread in a
>> preheated, lidded pot, like cast iron, Le Creuset, pottery or Pyrex.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...087%0A&em=&en=
>> d00ed2d2a7471f8e&ex=1163394000&pagewanted=all#
>>
>> Recipe he
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
>>
>> I'm not going to reprint it for fear of the Times getting after me.
>> But it's a very wet dough (1 5/8 cup water to 3 cups flour), uses very
>> little yeast (1/4 tsp of instant yeast - probably a little more if
>> using active dry).
>>
>> I have not tried it. The article makes it sound super easy.
>>
>> I think I'm going to make the bread with my little boys. They like to
>> bake and they will be able to measure and stir. No big deal...

> http://www.labellecuisine.com/archiv...meal_bread.htm
>
> Similar thing, easy, tasty.

Don't continue to demonstrate your profound ignorance of the
subject. Someone might come to the conclusion that you're
ignorant of the subject.

What with your continued demonstrations and all... of your
ignorance.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"stark" > wrote:

> Nothing. Mine stuck horrendously. Don't know if it was the too-wet
> dough or if the pot needed oiling. I guess a spritz couldn't hurt. I'll
> try next time.

I just made it, using a plain (seasoned) cast-iron dutch oven. Didn't
stick one bit.

--
to reply
replace "spamless.invalid" with "verizon.net"