Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's a good price for turkey?

What's considered a good price per pound for a Butterball turkey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What's considered a good price per pound for a Butterball turkey?

A buck or less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jdarius wrote:
> What's considered a good price per pound for a Butterball turkey?

For Thanksgiving, FREE... with a reasonable minimum purchase of say
$50. Most stupidmarket chains in the NYC give free turkeys for
Thanksgiving with a reasonable minimum purchse, but it's the store
brand or one of the lesser known brands like Norbest. Butterball I
don't think participates in such programs... I don't care for
Butterball anyway, their products are injected with saline. The store
brands and Norbest are pure turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the replies. I know that I overpaid last year, I just
wazsn't sure how much. I got overzealous when Kroger was putting
their turkeys out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What's considered a good price per pound for a Butterball turkey?

You might open the yellow pages, find a meat store, and see if any are
selling locally raised birds, especially those that are closer to the
free-range concept. Based on my experience, they seem more tender,
especially the breast meat, which, in "supermarket turkeys" tends to be dry
and boring unless you slather it in gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > What's considered a good price per pound for a Butterball turkey?

> You might open the yellow pages, find a meat store, and see if any are
> selling locally raised birds, especially those that are closer to the
> free-range concept. Based on my experience, they seem more tender,
> especially the breast meat, which, in "supermarket turkeys" tends to be dry
> and boring unless you slather it in gravy.

Go one step further, get a shotgun and a hunting license and get the
freshest, free-rangest, leanest, tastiest turkey around.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> > What's considered a good price per pound for a Butterball turkey?

>> You might open the yellow pages, find a meat store, and see if any are
>> selling locally raised birds, especially those that are closer to the
>> free-range concept. Based on my experience, they seem more tender,
>> especially the breast meat, which, in "supermarket turkeys" tends to be
>> dry
>> and boring unless you slather it in gravy.

> Go one step further, get a shotgun and a hunting license and get the
> freshest, free-rangest, leanest, tastiest turkey around.
>
> Pete C.

I would do that, except for something I can't figure out. It is said, by
people who are supposed to know these things, that turkey hunting is
difficult. And, like most other pastimes, you need to spend all sorts of
money on special clothing and gadgets. BUT.....:

1) While waiting for a tow truck on route 81 in upstate New York, a mob of
turkeys ambled out of the bushes, stood there, and stared at me for 20
minutes.

2) At least twice a month during spring and summer, I hike in some of the
state & national forest in the Finger Lakes. Turkeys will come within 50
feet of me, acting like I'm not there. If I had a plan for getting the bird
out to my car successfully, I could pull my handgun and cap one with no
trouble at all.

This leads me to believe that if turkey hunting, in season, is difficult,
it's due to littering. Someone's leaving copies of the NY hunting regs (with
season dates) out in the woods somewhere. The turkeys can read. When the
season begins, they say to each other "OK...let's start phuquing with their
heads again."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> 2) At least twice a month during spring and summer, I hike in some of the
> state & national forest in the Finger Lakes. Turkeys will come within 50
> feet of me, acting like I'm not there.

(laugh) Ron was on his way to work one fine day last spring
when he was confronted by a tom turkey in full dress. He had
to stop for it. Then it started charging his car. He backed up
backed up don't you dare peck my Acura! finally escaped past
the thing.

I said, yeah, I'd like to see what would happen if I came home with
the car scratched and some story about a turkey.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> You might open the yellow pages, find a meat store, and see if any are
> >> selling locally raised birds, especially those that are closer to the
> >> free-range concept. Based on my experience, they seem more tender,
> >> especially the breast meat, which, in "supermarket turkeys" tends to be
> >> dry
> >> and boring unless you slather it in gravy.

> > Go one step further, get a shotgun and a hunting license and get the
> > freshest, free-rangest, leanest, tastiest turkey around.
> >
> > Pete C.

> I would do that, except for something I can't figure out. It is said, by
> people who are supposed to know these things, that turkey hunting is
> difficult. And, like most other pastimes, you need to spend all sorts of
> money on special clothing and gadgets. BUT.....:
>
> 1) While waiting for a tow truck on route 81 in upstate New York, a mob of
> turkeys ambled out of the bushes, stood there, and stared at me for 20
> minutes.
>
> 2) At least twice a month during spring and summer, I hike in some of the
> state & national forest in the Finger Lakes. Turkeys will come within 50
> feet of me, acting like I'm not there. If I had a plan for getting the bird
> out to my car successfully, I could pull my handgun and cap one with no
> trouble at all.
>
> This leads me to believe that if turkey hunting, in season, is difficult,
> it's due to littering. Someone's leaving copies of the NY hunting regs (with
> season dates) out in the woods somewhere. The turkeys can read. When the
> season begins, they say to each other "OK...let's start phuquing with their
> heads again."

Shotgun, camo suit, box call, good cushion to sit on and a lot of
patience.

I'm not sure if the turkeys can read, but they have good eyesight and a
pretty good memory. Also contrary to popular myth, turkeys can fly.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> > Go one step further, get a shotgun and a hunting license and get the
>> > freshest, free-rangest, leanest, tastiest turkey around.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> I would do that, except for something I can't figure out. It is said, by
>> people who are supposed to know these things, that turkey hunting is
>> difficult. And, like most other pastimes, you need to spend all sorts of
>> money on special clothing and gadgets. BUT.....:
>>
>> 1) While waiting for a tow truck on route 81 in upstate New York, a mob
>> of
>> turkeys ambled out of the bushes, stood there, and stared at me for 20
>> minutes.
>>
>> 2) At least twice a month during spring and summer, I hike in some of the
>> state & national forest in the Finger Lakes. Turkeys will come within 50
>> feet of me, acting like I'm not there. If I had a plan for getting the
>> bird
>> out to my car successfully, I could pull my handgun and cap one with no
>> trouble at all.
>>
>> This leads me to believe that if turkey hunting, in season, is difficult,
>> it's due to littering. Someone's leaving copies of the NY hunting regs
>> (with
>> season dates) out in the woods somewhere. The turkeys can read. When the
>> season begins, they say to each other "OK...let's start phuquing with
>> their
>> heads again."

> Shotgun, camo suit, box call, good cushion to sit on and a lot of
> patience.
>
> I'm not sure if the turkeys can read, but they have good eyesight and a
> pretty good memory. Also contrary to popular myth, turkeys can fly.
>
> Pete C.

I've considered it, but I read the hunting accident stuff in the newspaper.
I don't wanna be out there with some of these idiots. Last season, some guy
blew off his kneecap and most of the surrounding connective tissue. He did
it while loading a deer into the back of his truck. Duh. At least one safety
rule broken.

My former landlord's brother was hit in the leg with an arrow from another
hunter. The victim was in a tree stand. This was at the edge of a fallow
farm field that was as flat as a pancake. The perp's explanation was
basically "Duh what day am it?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> I would do that, except for something I can't figure out. It is said, by
> people who are supposed to know these things, that turkey hunting is
> difficult. And, like most other pastimes, you need to spend all sorts of
> money on special clothing and gadgets. BUT.....:

Yeah, $10,000 worth of high tech paraphenalia from Cabelas, laser
guidance systems, night vision enhancements, etc, etc.... whose IQ is
higher, a turkey's or the typical hunter.

> 1) While waiting for a tow truck on route 81 in upstate New York, a mob of
> turkeys ambled out of the bushes, stood there, and stared at me for 20
> minutes.

Hey, those turkeys along Rte 81 belong to me.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> I would do that, except for something I can't figure out. It is said, by
>> people who are supposed to know these things, that turkey hunting is
>> difficult. And, like most other pastimes, you need to spend all sorts of
>> money on special clothing and gadgets. BUT.....:

> Yeah, $10,000 worth of high tech paraphenalia from Cabelas, laser
> guidance systems, night vision enhancements, etc, etc.... whose IQ is
> higher, a turkey's or the typical hunter.
>
>> 1) While waiting for a tow truck on route 81 in upstate New York, a mob
>> of
>> turkeys ambled out of the bushes, stood there, and stared at me for 20
>> minutes.

> Hey, those turkeys along Rte 81 belong to me.
>
> Sheldon

Don't count those turkeys. One day, a couple are gonna vanish into my trunk,
Sopranos-style.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> I would do that, except for something I can't figure out. It is said, by
> >> people who are supposed to know these things, that turkey hunting is
> >> difficult. And, like most other pastimes, you need to spend all sorts of
> >> money on special clothing and gadgets. BUT.....:
> >>
> >> 1) While waiting for a tow truck on route 81 in upstate New York, a mob
> >> of
> >> turkeys ambled out of the bushes, stood there, and stared at me for 20
> >> minutes.
> >>
> >> 2) At least twice a month during spring and summer, I hike in some of the
> >> state & national forest in the Finger Lakes. Turkeys will come within 50
> >> feet of me, acting like I'm not there. If I had a plan for getting the
> >> bird
> >> out to my car successfully, I could pull my handgun and cap one with no
> >> trouble at all.
> >>
> >> This leads me to believe that if turkey hunting, in season, is difficult,
> >> it's due to littering. Someone's leaving copies of the NY hunting regs
> >> (with
> >> season dates) out in the woods somewhere. The turkeys can read. When the
> >> season begins, they say to each other "OK...let's start phuquing with
> >> their
> >> heads again."

> > Shotgun, camo suit, box call, good cushion to sit on and a lot of
> > patience.
> >
> > I'm not sure if the turkeys can read, but they have good eyesight and a
> > pretty good memory. Also contrary to popular myth, turkeys can fly.
> >
> > Pete C.

> I've considered it, but I read the hunting accident stuff in the newspaper.
> I don't wanna be out there with some of these idiots. Last season, some guy
> blew off his kneecap and most of the surrounding connective tissue. He did
> it while loading a deer into the back of his truck. Duh. At least one safety
> rule broken.
>
> My former landlord's brother was hit in the leg with an arrow from another
> hunter. The victim was in a tree stand. This was at the edge of a fallow
> farm field that was as flat as a pancake. The perp's explanation was
> basically "Duh what day am it?"

Accidents are very very rare relative to the number of hunters, they are
simply overhyped by the media and anti gun and anti hunting groups.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> > Shotgun, camo suit, box call, good cushion to sit on and a lot of
>> > patience.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure if the turkeys can read, but they have good eyesight and a
>> > pretty good memory. Also contrary to popular myth, turkeys can fly.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> I've considered it, but I read the hunting accident stuff in the
>> newspaper.
>> I don't wanna be out there with some of these idiots. Last season, some
>> guy
>> blew off his kneecap and most of the surrounding connective tissue. He
>> did
>> it while loading a deer into the back of his truck. Duh. At least one
>> safety
>> rule broken.
>>
>> My former landlord's brother was hit in the leg with an arrow from
>> another
>> hunter. The victim was in a tree stand. This was at the edge of a fallow
>> farm field that was as flat as a pancake. The perp's explanation was
>> basically "Duh what day am it?"

> Accidents are very very rare relative to the number of hunters, they are
> simply overhyped by the media and anti gun and anti hunting groups.
>
> Pete C.

Nonsense:

"A hunter was shot in the chest today by his hunting partner, while hunting
state land near East Drywell. State police have not yet released the name of
the victim".

That's usually how they read here. That's not overhyped. That's a line in a
newspaper, silly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> I've considered it, but I read the hunting accident stuff in the
> >> newspaper.
> >> I don't wanna be out there with some of these idiots. Last season, some
> >> guy
> >> blew off his kneecap and most of the surrounding connective tissue. He
> >> did
> >> it while loading a deer into the back of his truck. Duh. At least one
> >> safety
> >> rule broken.
> >>
> >> My former landlord's brother was hit in the leg with an arrow from
> >> another
> >> hunter. The victim was in a tree stand. This was at the edge of a fallow
> >> farm field that was as flat as a pancake. The perp's explanation was
> >> basically "Duh what day am it?"

> > Accidents are very very rare relative to the number of hunters, they are
> > simply overhyped by the media and anti gun and anti hunting groups.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Nonsense:
>
> "A hunter was shot in the chest today by his hunting partner, while hunting
> state land near East Drywell. State police have not yet released the name of
> the victim".
>
> That's usually how they read here. That's not overhyped. That's a line in a
> newspaper, silly.

They are over hyped as I stated in an attempt to make it seem like if
you go hunting you'll have a 90% chance of being shot when the reality
is you have better chance of winning Powerball than being shot while
hunting.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> > Accidents are very very rare relative to the number of hunters, they
>> > are
>> > simply overhyped by the media and anti gun and anti hunting groups.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> Nonsense:
>>
>> "A hunter was shot in the chest today by his hunting partner, while
>> hunting
>> state land near East Drywell. State police have not yet released the name
>> of
>> the victim".
>>
>> That's usually how they read here. That's not overhyped. That's a line in
>> newspaper, silly.

> They are over hyped as I stated in an attempt to make it seem like if
> you go hunting you'll have a 90% chance of being shot when the reality
> is you have better chance of winning Powerball than being shot while
> hunting.
>
> Pete C.

Don't get me wrong. I know some highly skilled hunters, who are also the
safest gun handlers I've ever seen. But, I was also present when a moron
shot out the windshield of a police car, while joking around with his
friends in the parking lot of a diner. They were all "Brooklyn hunters", as
the locals called them. Amateurs who all went shopping at Herman's together,
like bridesmaids before a wedding, bought new clothing, new guns, ammo, and
were drunk during the safety class. The cop found that half their guns were
loaded with deer slugs, in a parking lot of a diner.

You may be highly unlikely to run into people like this, but take a slug
through the chest when you're out in 35 degree weather, alone, 5 miles from
the nearest anything, and you are phuqued. The odds of death negate the odds
of the thing happening in the first place, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> Nonsense:
> >>
> >> "A hunter was shot in the chest today by his hunting partner, while
> >> hunting
> >> state land near East Drywell. State police have not yet released the name
> >> of
> >> the victim".
> >>
> >> That's usually how they read here. That's not overhyped. That's a line in
> >> newspaper, silly.

> > They are over hyped as I stated in an attempt to make it seem like if
> > you go hunting you'll have a 90% chance of being shot when the reality
> > is you have better chance of winning Powerball than being shot while
> > hunting.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Don't get me wrong. I know some highly skilled hunters, who are also the
> safest gun handlers I've ever seen. But, I was also present when a moron
> shot out the windshield of a police car, while joking around with his
> friends in the parking lot of a diner. They were all "Brooklyn hunters", as
> the locals called them. Amateurs who all went shopping at Herman's together,
> like bridesmaids before a wedding, bought new clothing, new guns, ammo, and
> were drunk during the safety class. The cop found that half their guns were
> loaded with deer slugs, in a parking lot of a diner.
>
> You may be highly unlikely to run into people like this, but take a slug
> through the chest when you're out in 35 degree weather, alone, 5 miles from
> the nearest anything, and you are phuqued. The odds of death negate the odds
> of the thing happening in the first place, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I limit the odds of running into such buffoons by hunting on my own
property where should they show up I can have them arrested for
trespassing.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> > They are over hyped as I stated in an attempt to make it seem like if
>> > you go hunting you'll have a 90% chance of being shot when the reality
>> > is you have better chance of winning Powerball than being shot while
>> > hunting.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> Don't get me wrong. I know some highly skilled hunters, who are also the
>> safest gun handlers I've ever seen. But, I was also present when a moron
>> shot out the windshield of a police car, while joking around with his
>> friends in the parking lot of a diner. They were all "Brooklyn hunters",
>> as
>> the locals called them. Amateurs who all went shopping at Herman's
>> together,
>> like bridesmaids before a wedding, bought new clothing, new guns, ammo,
>> and
>> were drunk during the safety class. The cop found that half their guns
>> were
>> loaded with deer slugs, in a parking lot of a diner.
>>
>> You may be highly unlikely to run into people like this, but take a slug
>> through the chest when you're out in 35 degree weather, alone, 5 miles
>> from
>> the nearest anything, and you are phuqued. The odds of death negate the
>> odds
>> of the thing happening in the first place, at least as far as I'm
>> concerned.

> I limit the odds of running into such buffoons by hunting on my own
> property where should they show up I can have them arrested for
> trespassing.
>
> Pete C.

Yeah...well I have 1/4 acre, and all I get are deer (eating the garden, and
the house is next on the menu), skunks (so I have no slug problems), rabbits
(4 have made it to the grill holy shit delicious), and crows. Haven't tried
the crows yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> You may be highly unlikely to run into people like this, but take a slug
> >> through the chest when you're out in 35 degree weather, alone, 5 miles
> >> from
> >> the nearest anything, and you are phuqued. The odds of death negate the
> >> odds
> >> of the thing happening in the first place, at least as far as I'm
> >> concerned.

> > I limit the odds of running into such buffoons by hunting on my own
> > property where should they show up I can have them arrested for
> > trespassing.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Yeah...well I have 1/4 acre, and all I get are deer (eating the garden, and
> the house is next on the menu), skunks (so I have no slug problems), rabbits
> (4 have made it to the grill holy shit delicious), and crows. Haven't tried
> the crows yet.

Buy more land, always a good investment. I expect your limited to
bowhunting the deer given the lack of space, still not a bad option
since they are damned tasty.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

>> > I limit the odds of running into such buffoons by hunting on my own
>> > property where should they show up I can have them arrested for
>> > trespassing.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> Yeah...well I have 1/4 acre, and all I get are deer (eating the garden,
>> and
>> the house is next on the menu), skunks (so I have no slug problems),
>> rabbits
>> (4 have made it to the grill holy shit delicious), and crows. Haven't
>> tried
>> the crows yet.

> Buy more land, always a good investment. I expect your limited to
> bowhunting the deer given the lack of space, still not a bad option
> since they are damned tasty.
>
> Pete C.

The nuisance permit is in hand already. (Required in this town, if your land
is under 20 acres, which means the whole town). The town says "no hunting".
A cop says "nonsense...sorta....let your neighbors know what's going on".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
>> They are over hyped as I stated in an attempt to make it seem like if
>> you go hunting you'll have a 90% chance of being shot when the reality
>> is you have better chance of winning Powerball than being shot while
>> hunting.

Unless you are hunting with Dick Cheney....

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> > Go one step further, get a shotgun and a hunting license and get the
>> > freshest, free-rangest, leanest, tastiest turkey around.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> I would do that, except for something I can't figure out. It is said, by
>> people who are supposed to know these things, that turkey hunting is
>> difficult. And, like most other pastimes, you need to spend all sorts of
>> money on special clothing and gadgets. BUT.....:
>>
>> 1) While waiting for a tow truck on route 81 in upstate New York, a mob
>> of
>> turkeys ambled out of the bushes, stood there, and stared at me for 20
>> minutes.
>>
>> 2) At least twice a month during spring and summer, I hike in some of the
>> state & national forest in the Finger Lakes. Turkeys will come within 50
>> feet of me, acting like I'm not there. If I had a plan for getting the
>> bird
>> out to my car successfully, I could pull my handgun and cap one with no
>> trouble at all.
>>
>> This leads me to believe that if turkey hunting, in season, is difficult,
>> it's due to littering. Someone's leaving copies of the NY hunting regs
>> (with
>> season dates) out in the woods somewhere. The turkeys can read. When the
>> season begins, they say to each other "OK...let's start phuquing with
>> their
>> heads again."

> Shotgun, camo suit, box call, good cushion to sit on and a lot of
> patience.
>
> I'm not sure if the turkeys can read, but they have good eyesight and a
> pretty good memory. Also contrary to popular myth, turkeys can fly.

If that's the case then why did the turkey's that Arthur Carlson had thrown
out of airplanes crash and die?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

[snip]

>> I'm not sure if the turkeys can read, but they have good eyesight and a
>> pretty good memory. Also contrary to popular myth, turkeys can fly.
>>

> If that's the case then why did the turkey's that Arthur Carlson had thrown
> out of airplanes crash and die?

1) They were fat domestic turkeys that never got much practice flying
(and maybe had their wingtip feathers clipped.)

2) The downdraft from the helicopter rotor

Hope this helps, ;-)
Bob

--
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Pete C. wrote:
>>> They are over hyped as I stated in an attempt to make it seem like if
>>> you go hunting you'll have a 90% chance of being shot when the reality
>>> is you have better chance of winning Powerball than being shot while
>>> hunting.
>>>

> Unless you are hunting with Dick Cheney....
>
> gloria p

{drum crash!}

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> > Nonsense:
> >
> > "A hunter was shot in the chest today by his hunting partner, while hunting
> > state land near East Drywell. State police have not yet released the name of
> > the victim".
> >
> > That's usually how they read here. That's not overhyped. That's a line in a
> > newspaper, silly.

> They are over hyped as I stated in an attempt to make it seem like if
> you go hunting you'll have a 90% chance of being shot when the reality
> is you have better chance of winning Powerball than being shot while
> hunting.
>
> Pete C.

Mathematic illiteracy. If there are 10,000 hunters, and one gets shot
(be it by bullet or arrow) in the season, then the chances of being
shot are far higher than winning Powerball. If there are a million
hunters and one gets shot, the odds are still better than your odds of
winning any of the big payout lotteries.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> > > Nonsense:
> > >
> > > "A hunter was shot in the chest today by his hunting partner, while hunting
> > > state land near East Drywell. State police have not yet released the name of
> > > the victim".
> > >
> > > That's usually how they read here. That's not overhyped. That's a line in a
> > > newspaper, silly.

> > They are over hyped as I stated in an attempt to make it seem like if
> > you go hunting you'll have a 90% chance of being shot when the reality
> > is you have better chance of winning Powerball than being shot while
> > hunting.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Mathematic illiteracy. If there are 10,000 hunters, and one gets shot
> (be it by bullet or arrow) in the season, then the chances of being
> shot are far higher than winning Powerball. If there are a million
> hunters and one gets shot, the odds are still better than your odds of
> winning any of the big payout lotteries.
>
> maxine in ri

"Mathematic illiteracy" - Yes, yours. There are vastly more hunters than
either of your guesses.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Theoric The Squinter" > wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message

> > I'm not sure if the turkeys can read, but they have good eyesight and a
> > pretty good memory. Also contrary to popular myth, turkeys can fly.
> >

> If that's the case then why did the turkey's that Arthur Carlson had thrown
> out of airplanes crash and die?

Because they were domestic turkeys. Wild turkeys can fly well. Best WKRP
episode ever! The best line in WKRP ever was chiy chiy rodregueeze.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> "Theoric The Squinter" > wrote:
>
> > "Pete C." > wrote in message

> > > I'm not sure if the turkeys can read, but they have good eyesight and a
> > > pretty good memory. Also contrary to popular myth, turkeys can fly.
> > >

> > If that's the case then why did the turkey's that Arthur Carlson had thrown
> > out of airplanes crash and die?

> Because they were domestic turkeys. Wild turkeys can fly well. Best WKRP
> episode ever! The best line in WKRP ever was chiy chiy rodregueeze.
>
> leo
>
> --
> <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Wild turkeys can fly, but not particularly well. They fly a bit like a
C5 or something, requiring a big runway to take off and a pretty slow
climb out.

Pete C.