Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Please help me find a good smoker (for a good price) :)

Hi,

I am looking to smoke peppers for salsa. I've been looking around some
and i've seen a lot- and I mean a LOT of different smokers. I would
prefer something more traditional and not gas or electric powered. I
do not need a large smoker...something to smoke maybe several hundred
peppers at a time (at most). I've seen a water smoker that has some
good reviews but I am really ignorant to these products so am seeking
advice from the lot of you.

I'd say my max range if buying online would be $75-100 and in-store
maybe a little more.

If it helps these peppers will go into salsa so the flavor (and keeping
it) is critical.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:45:11 -0700, fotoobscura wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to smoke peppers for salsa.
>
> Thanks!

Can't beat this smoker for the $$$..

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...262-02219-5600
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:12:39 +0000, Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:38:58 GMT, jay wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:45:11 -0700, fotoobscura wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am looking to smoke peppers for salsa.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Can't beat this smoker for the $$$..
>>
>> http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...262-02219-5600

> Just make sure you make the modification mentioned he
> http://www.bbqinstitute.com/smokermods.htm
>
> It's a good smoker and has a loyal following (if you make the
> modification). See the Yahoo Bandera group for more info.
>
> -sw

I never added the baffle but have seen the suggestion and it looks like a
good one. I have intended to make the modification but ........ too many
dots to connect......maybe manana.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you very much to everyone for their suggestions!

Will be hitting some websites now

jay wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:12:39 +0000, Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> Can't beat this smoker for the $$$..
> >>
> >> http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...262-02219-5600

> > Just make sure you make the modification mentioned he
> > http://www.bbqinstitute.com/smokermods.htm
> >
> > It's a good smoker and has a loyal following (if you make the
> > modification). See the Yahoo Bandera group for more info.
> >
> > -sw

> I never added the baffle but have seen the suggestion and it looks like a
> good one. I have intended to make the modification but ........ too many
> dots to connect......maybe manana.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:42:07 -0700, fotoobscura wrote:

> Thank you very much to everyone for their suggestions!

What kind of peppers are you smoking? I have made salsa with smoked
poblano peppers.. very good. I have also made great salsa with just
roasted poblanos and you don't need anything but a flame/cooktop or iron
skillet for those. If you get a smoker try doing fresh smoked (not
dehydrated) tomato halves.

Jay's Roasted Hot Sauce

1 can whole tomato (32 ounces)
2 large poblano peppers
salt to taste
2 jalapeno peppers
8 serrano peppers
15 to 20 leaves fresh cilantro
1 key lime juiced
1 large pod fresh garlic pureed
¼ t onion powder
¼ t toasted cumin
¼ t pure chili powder (chipotle is my favorite)
1 pinch toasted oregano
6 oz tomato juice

Blacken all the fresh peppers over open flame or in iron skillet. Remove
stems. You can leave the seeds. Puree in blender. Serve warm with corn
tortilla chips. Nice on huevos