Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weekend survey on the RFC website: Cooking or baking...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now!

Thanks go to Little Malice for suggesting this survey
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> Thanks go to Little Malice for suggesting this survey

Some baking requires cooking of accompanying ingredients. Casseroles for
example.

Ah well, what's a mother to do? I chose both.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> Some baking requires cooking of accompanying ingredients. Casseroles for
> example.
>
> Ah well, what's a mother to do? I chose both.

I will say, though I vastly prefer cooking and I just don't have
the touch for baking, I am making that banana bread again.
It just got better and better over the next couple of days.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> Thanks go to Little Malice for suggesting this survey
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Cook... I've not baked in years.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

That was easy enough.

I equate baking to pure science. It needs to have precise
measurements with precise ingredients -- otherwise it'll flop.
Cooking is more freeform. You can mix and match more easily
disparate ingredients without too much worry that the final product
won't be edible.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger said...

> Chatty Cathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> That was easy enough.

> Cooking is more freeform. You can mix and match more easily
> disparate ingredients without too much worry that the final product
> won't be edible.
>
> The Ranger

ROFLMAO!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Chatty Cathy writes:
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now!
> >
> > Thanks go to Little Malice for suggesting this survey

> Tee hee hee... Gee, that was a hard choice for moi

Hey, what choice, you're born that way. hehe

Sheldon Oven

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> Chatty Cathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> That was easy enough.
>
> I equate baking to pure science. It needs to have precise
> measurements with precise ingredients -- otherwise it'll flop.
> Cooking is more freeform. You can mix and match more easily
> disparate ingredients without too much worry that the final product
> won't be edible.

Well, you have a point. I am *useless* at baking, even if I follow a
recipe exactly... Made chicken wings the other day... I couldn't tell
you what I put in the marinade if you paid me (except there was garlic
involved), but they turned out pretty good

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> ROFLMAO!!!

You'd laugh even louder if you had to try to eat any of my baking
"efforts". Gimme cooking any day

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> You'd laugh even louder if you had to try to eat any of my baking
> "efforts". Gimme cooking any day

CC, I'd certainly look forward to YOUR cooking, rather than my own!

<smootch>

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 06:38:19 -0800, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>I equate baking to pure science. It needs to have precise
>measurements with precise ingredients -- otherwise it'll flop.
>Cooking is more freeform. You can mix and match more easily
>disparate ingredients without too much worry that the final product
>won't be edible.

I dunno. Very few of my baked recipes are the way I first found them.
I alter nearly all of them. My only real flop (that comes to mind)
was when I left the baking soda out of banana bread. Turned out kinda
rubbery and dense. Even then, it tasted good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Chatty Cathy > wrote in message
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> That was easy enough.
>
> I equate baking to pure science. It needs to have precise
> measurements with precise ingredients -- otherwise it'll flop.
> Cooking is more freeform. You can mix and match more easily
> disparate ingredients without too much worry that the final product
> won't be edible.

That's why I like them both. Or you can look at it as the left
brain-right brain thing. There is science to both, mind you. (I used
to teach a food science lab when I was in grad school.)

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 06:38:19 -0800, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>
>>I equate baking to pure science. It needs to have precise
>>measurements with precise ingredients -- otherwise it'll flop.
>>Cooking is more freeform. You can mix and match more easily
>>disparate ingredients without too much worry that the final product
>>won't be edible.

> I dunno. Very few of my baked recipes are the way I first found them.
> I alter nearly all of them. My only real flop (that comes to mind)
> was when I left the baking soda out of banana bread. Turned out kinda
> rubbery and dense. Even then, it tasted good.

I got a recipe from my grandmother she had altered and I altered it a little
more. Turns out just fine. Of course that was before I knew baking was
such an exact science. LOL

It's such an exact science my great grandmother baked her entire life
without exact or precise measurements.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 10:21:41 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 06:38:19 -0800, "The Ranger"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I equate baking to pure science. It needs to have precise
>>>measurements with precise ingredients -- otherwise it'll flop.
>>>Cooking is more freeform. You can mix and match more easily
>>>disparate ingredients without too much worry that the final product
>>>won't be edible.

>> I dunno. Very few of my baked recipes are the way I first found them.
>> I alter nearly all of them. My only real flop (that comes to mind)
>> was when I left the baking soda out of banana bread. Turned out kinda
>> rubbery and dense. Even then, it tasted good.

>I got a recipe from my grandmother she had altered and I altered it a little
>more. Turns out just fine. Of course that was before I knew baking was
>such an exact science. LOL
>
>It's such an exact science my great grandmother baked her entire life
>without exact or precise measurements.

I used to be an absolutely brilliant baker and I don't recall being
all that precise about it; I baked almost every day and everything I
made turned out perfectly. Once I moved to a new house, it went to
hell and I've never been able to duplicate the results I had at the
old apartment. I've decided it had something to do with the oven I had
then, since nothing else changed. These days I cook more than bake,
but I really miss it. <sigh>

Regards,
Tracy R.