Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ARBY'S ROAST BEEF SANDWICH needs major "makeover"

If you are a Arby's customer and not satisfied with their food, suggest
you all write Arby's at their corporate HQ to ask them to improve the
quality of their sandwiches, namely the Roast beef sandwich. It is
pathetic that they sell such low quality food and are still in
business. I love Roast beef sandwiches and the other big fast food
franchises do not carry them.

I used to go to Lake George, NY. in the early sixties, where I came
upon
this excellent roast beef sandwich at a restaurant called Neba. The
restaurant was located on the way to the beach. They were also in New
York City and in the state of Mass to my knowledge.

It was the most delicious roast beef sandwich I ever tasted., a roast
beef sandwich which melted in your mouth and was so tasty, you could
not stop with one one sandwich. I think there was a little melted
butter on it. It was served on a sesame roll and the beef was freshly
made and cut on the spot. It needed no sauces to add to the flavor. The
restaurant was only around for a short time in the sixties. Does anyone
remember ???..www.nebaroastbeef.com

They probably could not compete in price and volume with the fast food
franchises that evolved soon afterward. Probably they also needed an
extended menu, as they could not survive with one item today.

I always preferred a roast beef sandwich made by Neba, to what is out
there today, as I am not into hamburgers.

Arby has a pale imitation of a roast beef sandwich which is tasteless
and needs sauces to make it edible..

A joke going around says that "Neba" meant "never buy at Arby's."

The Neba restaurants were not on the scale of today's fast food places.
They were small and I doubt they could have quick production for large
crowds and maintain the quality. There were a few imitators after, but
the flavor was not the same. They all eventually died out, except for
Arby's, which sends out coupons to encourage people to frequent their
restaurants as their food is so low in quality. They practically have
to give it away to encourage people to go to their restaurants. Their
french fried was always cold.

I have no "beef" with Arby's. I wonder if they still put beef in their
sandwiches,.
but in my opinion, their roast beef sandwich is inedible, unless you
add the sauces. My wife also ordered a BLT from Arby's and it was also
not as good as other restaurants. She would not order it again there.

I still go there the odd time when they send out those "free" coupons,
as it is close by my residence..

If Arby's want to lure people away from hamburgers, they should make a
effort improve the quality and flavor of their roast beef sandwich and
other items on their menu.

For anyone who cares, please refer Arbys Roast Beef under google group
rec.food.restaurants. there is a excellent article written by one Holly
Moore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

> If you are a Arby's customer and not satisfied with their food,

What an entrance!

Ya BUM!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy,

I assume you love their sandwiches. Right?

Kindly explain or expand your reply.

thanks..

Andy wrote:
> said...
>
> > If you are a Arby's customer and not satisfied with their food,

> What an entrance!
>
> Ya BUM!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:57:52 GMT, jay wrote:

> I ate there once. What I got was some mystery meat bits and pieces with
> accompanying slop that was extruded into a football shaped condom, oven
> baked, and sliced.. absolutely nasty.

Back in the early '90s the people in the office I worked in loved the 5 for
5 deal. $5.00 dollars got you five roast beef sandwiches. Someone was
always willing to do the "You fly, I'll buy" thing to feed a bunch of the
guys. For the price of one gut bomb (huge hamburger sold at a place near
our work) you could make five of your co-workers happy.

I don't remember them skimping on the meat back then but maybe they've
changed since I last had one 23 years ago.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> If you are a Arby's customer and not satisfied with their food, suggest
> you all write Arby's at their corporate HQ to ask them to improve the
> quality of their sandwiches, namely the Roast beef sandwich. It is
> pathetic that they sell such low quality food and are still in
> business. I love Roast beef sandwiches and the other big fast food
> franchises do not carry them.

The way you make your point is to not be their customer. Arbys hasn't
had a real roast beef sandwich in like 20 years. They use a uniform
"space beef" product and not roast beef. Even their horseradish sauce is
now called "horsey sauce" because it is a "space product".

Unfortunately mediocre industrial food has become way too common. People
ask for this when they choose to patronize the industrial places.

> I used to go to Lake George, NY. in the early sixties, where I came
> upon
> this excellent roast beef sandwich at a restaurant called Neba. The
> restaurant was located on the way to the beach. They were also in New
> York City and in the state of Mass to my knowledge.

There are still lots of little shops that use real roast beef.

> It was the most delicious roast beef sandwich I ever tasted., a roast
> beef sandwich which melted in your mouth and was so tasty, you could
> not stop with one one sandwich. I think there was a little melted
> butter on it. It was served on a sesame roll and the beef was freshly
> made and cut on the spot. It needed no sauces to add to the flavor. The
> restaurant was only around for a short time in the sixties. Does anyone
> remember ???..
www.nebaroastbeef.com

> They probably could not compete in price and volume with the fast food
> franchises that evolved soon afterward. Probably they also needed an
> extended menu, as they could not survive with one item today.
>
> I always preferred a roast beef sandwich made by Neba, to what is out
> there today, as I am not into hamburgers.
>
> Arby has a pale imitation of a roast beef sandwich which is tasteless
> and needs sauces to make it edible..
>
> A joke going around says that "Neba" meant "never buy at Arby's."
>
> The Neba restaurants were not on the scale of today's fast food places.
> They were small and I doubt they could have quick production for large
> crowds and maintain the quality. There were a few imitators after, but
> the flavor was not the same. They all eventually died out, except for
> Arby's, which sends out coupons to encourage people to frequent their
> restaurants as their food is so low in quality. They practically have
> to give it away to encourage people to go to their restaurants. Their
> french fried was always cold.
>
> I have no "beef" with Arby's. I wonder if they still put beef in their
> sandwiches,.
> but in my opinion, their roast beef sandwich is inedible, unless you
> add the sauces. My wife also ordered a BLT from Arby's and it was also
> not as good as other restaurants. She would not order it again there.
>
> I still go there the odd time when they send out those "free" coupons,
> as it is close by my residence..
>
> If Arby's want to lure people away from hamburgers, they should make a
> effort improve the quality and flavor of their roast beef sandwich and
> other items on their menu.
>
> For anyone who cares, please refer Arbys Roast Beef under google group
> ..
> rec.food.restaurants. there is a excellent article written by one Holly
> Moore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> If you are a Arby's customer and not satisfied with their food, suggest
> you all write Arby's at their corporate HQ to ask them to improve the
> quality of their sandwiches, namely the Roast beef sandwich. It is
> pathetic that they sell such low quality food and are still in
> business. I love Roast beef sandwiches and the other big fast food
> franchises do not carry them.

OK...let me get this straight:

1) They can sell them really cheap, and you wonder why they taste cheap.

2) You think you can change a company whose survival depends on competing
with McDonald's.

3) You don't see that your best move is to stop eating there if you don't
like it.

Is this about right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Anyone reasonably knowledgeable about what they are eating can look at
> an Arby's roast beef sandwich "in person" or even a picture of it and
> know they are looking at chopped, compressed, re-formed beef of some
> kind. I've never even been tempted to try one. It's "buyer beware,"
> for sure, and you should have known better ;-).

It's worse than that. The roast "beef" is actually a bag of an aqueous,
gel-like slurry of beef paste that firms up into a sliceable mass when
"roasted".

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Anyone reasonably knowledgeable about what they are eating can look at
>> an Arby's roast beef sandwich "in person" or even a picture of it and
>> know they are looking at chopped, compressed, re-formed beef of some
>> kind. I've never even been tempted to try one. It's "buyer beware,"
>> for sure, and you should have known better ;-).

> It's worse than that. The roast "beef" is actually a bag of an aqueous,
> gel-like slurry of beef paste that firms up into a sliceable mass when
> "roasted".

Please....I'm about to eat dinner (real).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Guilty pleasure -- I love the sauce bar at Arby's. I load my tray
with wee little paper cups of horsey sauce, honey mustard, catsup,
Arby's sauce, and spicy sauce. I get chicken fingers and fries and I
dip and munch away. Horsey sauce is my favorite. I don't even like
Arby's sauce, but I have to have a bit of it to make the experience
complete. I'll get a jamocha shake for dessert if I am feeling
really decadent.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

it's called horsey sauce because it's not horseradish, nor space food.
It's a cream horseradish. It's made with horseradish, like any other
cream horseradish sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2006 07:22:30 -0700, Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Anyone reasonably knowledgeable about what they are eating can look at
>> an Arby's roast beef sandwich "in person" or even a picture of it and
>> know they are looking at chopped, compressed, re-formed beef of some
>> kind. I've never even been tempted to try one. It's "buyer beware,"
>> for sure, and you should have known better ;-).

> It's always been chopped, pressed, spindled, mutilated meat, but
> the quality has gone downhill in the last decade. The Arby's and
> Horsey sauces are what makes them edible.
>
> And now they don't sell their sauces in take-home bottles
> anymore.
>
> -sw

Its called "horsey sauce" because it doesn't even have horseradish in it
now. Maybe they don't sell it for home consumption because there is a
"industrial use only" limitation on whatever it contains...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:36:16 -0400, George wrote:
>
>> Even their horseradish sauce is
>> now called "horsey sauce" because it is a "space product".

> It was always been called Horsey sauce. "Space product"? It's
> much better than straight horseradish (mixed with vinegar and
> citric acid, usually).
>
> -sw

I remember during my college days it was in plastic squirt bottles and
simply called "horseradish sauce". The product they have today is
nothing at all like what they had then.

Some of the bottled horseradish is not so good. There is a regional
bottler in my area that makes a simple quality horseradish and it is
really hard to beat a smear of that on a hard roll with roast beef or
kielbasa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.arbys.com/

> and click on the CONTACT US button.
> Alan

That's silly. It's better to post your complaints in a place where the
company will never see them. This way, nothing will change.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> Its called "horsey sauce" because it doesn't even have horseradish in
> it now. Maybe they don't sell it for home consumption because there
> is a "industrial use only" limitation on whatever it contains...

Where did you come up with that bit of info? It has been called "horsey
sauce" since at least 1974, which was the first time I went into one. And it
still has horseradish as its main ingredient.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> George wrote:
>
>> Its called "horsey sauce" because it doesn't even have horseradish in
>> it now. Maybe they don't sell it for home consumption because there
>> is a "industrial use only" limitation on whatever it contains...

> Where did you come up with that bit of info? It has been called "horsey
> sauce" since at least 1974, which was the first time I went into one. And
> it still has horseradish as its main ingredient.
>
> --
> Dave

Tastes like barely flavored mayo to me. Horseradish should bring tears to
your eyes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

>> Where did you come up with that bit of info? It has been called
>> "horsey sauce" since at least 1974, which was the first time I went
>> into one. And it still has horseradish as its main ingredient.
>>
>> --
>> Dave

> Tastes like barely flavored mayo to me. Horseradish should bring
> tears to your eyes.

Your version of a horseradish sauce may do just that. But that doesn't
negate the fact that horseradish is part of arbys sauce.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

>>> Where did you come up with that bit of info? It has been called
>>> "horsey sauce" since at least 1974, which was the first time I went
>>> into one. And it still has horseradish as its main ingredient.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave

>> Tastes like barely flavored mayo to me. Horseradish should bring
>> tears to your eyes.

> Your version of a horseradish sauce may do just that. But that doesn't
> negate the fact that horseradish is part of arbys sauce.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

I'm not disputing that it's "part of" the sauce. But, it doesn't taste like
the main ingredient. The sauce has the consistency of mayo. Horseradish is a
ground-up root. They're using a finely pureed version. I'm sure it's the way
it is because they find it's acceptable to the largest number of customers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > George wrote:
> >
> >> Its called "horsey sauce" because it doesn't even have horseradish in
> >> it now. Maybe they don't sell it for home consumption because there
> >> is a "industrial use only" limitation on whatever it contains...

> > Where did you come up with that bit of info? It has been called "horsey
> > sauce" since at least 1974, which was the first time I went into one.

And
> > it still has horseradish as its main ingredient.
> >
> > --
> > Dave

> Tastes like barely flavored mayo to me. Horseradish should bring tears to
> your eyes.

That's because it's horseradish sauce, not prepared horseradish.

In general--but there are always exceptions--most horseradish sauces in jars
or packets don't have as much horseradish "heat" (i.e., the burning nose and
tears to the eyes effect) when compared to jars labelled as prepared
horseradish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

well whatever it is they sell for roast beef.

Last time I was in Europe they had "well whatever it is they sell for
roast beef." available everywhere. Just like Arby's. Sliced from a
vertical roast of mechanically separated beef. it was sold by middle
eastern vendors on the street corners. It had one advantage over Arbys.
It had so much hot spice in it that was all you tasted. Arbys is bland.

jay wrote