Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Default Mango Chutney

In article >, Chutitdown > wrote:
>hey hey it is mango chutney time here in sunny australia

Not quite yet, what with NT mangoes on sale for about $3.00 each (note
that I didn't say "selling for..." . I think I'll wait until I have
to fight the flying fox to get a share of the fruit on my trees, and
that is probably still at least two months away.

>who has recipies to share?
>my new hubby wants some and me i aint granma!
>
>http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, Chutitdown > wrote:
(Phred) mailed:
>>In article >, Chutitdown

> > wrote:
>>>hey hey it is mango chutney time here in sunny australia

>>Not quite yet, what with NT mangoes on sale for about $3.00 each (note
>>that I didn't say "selling for..." . I think I'll wait until I have
>>to fight the flying fox to get a share of the fruit on my trees, and
>>that is probably still at least two months away.
>>
>>>who has recipies to share?
>>>my new hubby wants some and me i aint granma!
>>>
>>>http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

>ooops have i even started wrong?
>"use green mangoes" I was told.
>I was going to pick them tomorrow!

Okay, my previous post may have been a bit confusing...
If you've got fully grown BUT STILL UNRIPE mangoes, then go for it!
The very best chutney is made that way. If you get them with even a
touch of yellowing you won't be able to get rid of the colour and
it'll look like baby poo whatever you do. My mangoes are barely the
size of marbles as yet. And the bloody flying fox will be very
aggressive this year as cyclone Larry wiped out their other feeding
option in the rainforest south and east of here..

>http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chutitdown wrote:
> (Phred), mailed:
>
> >In article >, Chutitdown > wrote:
> (Phred) mailed:

http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

>From Martin Yan: This one's gotten raves by everyone I've served it to.

Pineapple-Mango Chutney

1/2 pineapple, chopped (leave out if you don't want it in)
2 mangos, choppped (double the mango is you don't use pineapple)
1-2 cinnamon sticks
4-5 tblspn brown sugar
1-2 cloves
1-2 dried peppers, chopped fine
salt & pepper

Chop up mangos and pineapple, put in boiling water, just enough water
to cover the fruit. Add the other ingredients.
Simmer for 45 min, let cool.

> >>ooops have i even started wrong?
> >>"use green mangoes" I was told.
> >>I was going to pick them tomorrow!

> >Okay, my previous post may have been a bit confusing...
> >If you've got fully grown BUT STILL UNRIPE mangoes, then go for it!
> >The very best chutney is made that way. If you get them with even a
> >touch of yellowing you won't be able to get rid of the colour and
> >it'll look like baby poo whatever you do. My mangoes are barely the
> >size of marbles as yet. And the bloody flying fox will be very
> >aggressive this year as cyclone Larry wiped out their other feeding
> >option in the rainforest south and east of here..
> >
> >>http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

> >Cheers, Phred.

> okay I got the mangoes this morning
> from the old man DH said to go to.
> They are maybe a bit bigger than
> apples, he called them "common
> mangoes". I know down home we
> had "special mangoes" which cost
> at least $3.00 each. The old man only
> asked for $10.00 for a full bucket, that
> was cheap but he could not tell me how
> to cook them, DH said he would know.
> So now I am lost between roasting them
> in the oven or just zapping them in the MW
> before juicing them to chutney.
> Which should I do, roast or zap?
> And you are pulling my leg when you say
> the foxes will get the mangoes? Foxes
> are very clever, sure, but they cannot fly! LOL.
>
> http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Chutitdown wrote:
> (Phred), mailed:
>
>> In article >, Chutitdown > wrote:

(Phred) mailed:

http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/
>>> ooops have i even started wrong?
>>> "use green mangoes" I was told.
>>> I was going to pick them tomorrow!

>> Okay, my previous post may have been a bit confusing...
>> If you've got fully grown BUT STILL UNRIPE mangoes, then go for it!
>> The very best chutney is made that way. If you get them with even a
>> touch of yellowing you won't be able to get rid of the colour and
>> it'll look like baby poo whatever you do. My mangoes are barely the
>> size of marbles as yet. And the bloody flying fox will be very
>> aggressive this year as cyclone Larry wiped out their other feeding
>> option in the rainforest south and east of here..
>>
>>> http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

>> Cheers, Phred.

> okay I got the mangoes this morning
> from the old man DH said to go to.
> They are maybe a bit bigger than
> apples, he called them "common
> mangoes". I know down home we
> had "special mangoes" which cost
> at least $3.00 each. The old man only
> asked for $10.00 for a full bucket, that
> was cheap but he could not tell me how
> to cook them, DH said he would know.
> So now I am lost between roasting them
> in the oven or just zapping them in the MW
> before juicing them to chutney.
> Which should I do, roast or zap?
> And you are pulling my leg when you say
> the foxes will get the mangoes? Foxes
> are very clever, sure, but they cannot fly! LOL.
>
> http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

I would suggest you consider simmering , google will answer it all for
oyu .
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Oh god! You DON'T roast or zap mangoes to make chutney, you simmer
the brew for *hours* to get it just right. Peel them, chop them,
chuck them in a pot with all the other stuff and slowly simmer until
you've got a nice uniformly brown mess. (No *yellow*.

Common mangoes are the best too. I have made chutney with the
stringless Bowens (that's all I've got in the yard) but they tend to
break down too much and you don't get any nice chunky bits. Still
good from the flavour POV though, just a texture problem.

Now to turn to fauna: "flying fox" here in the deep north of the deep
south is the common name for the tree-huggers' "fruit bat". But they
were "flying fox" back in the late 1800s, so those buggers can stick
their "bats". ;-)

And if it wasn't so bloody late I would show you visual evidence that
$10 for a bucket of common mangoes is NOT cheap! (Though it does
rather depend on the season. :-)

In article >, Chutitdown
> wrote:
(Phred), mailed:
>>In article >, Chutitdown

> > wrote:
(Phred) mailed:

>>>ooops have i even started wrong?
>>>"use green mangoes" I was told.
>>>I was going to pick them tomorrow!

>>Okay, my previous post may have been a bit confusing...
>>If you've got fully grown BUT STILL UNRIPE mangoes, then go for it!
>>The very best chutney is made that way. If you get them with even a
>>touch of yellowing you won't be able to get rid of the colour and
>>it'll look like baby poo whatever you do. My mangoes are barely the
>>size of marbles as yet. And the bloody flying fox will be very
>>aggressive this year as cyclone Larry wiped out their other feeding
>>option in the rainforest south and east of here..
>>

>okay I got the mangoes this morning
>from the old man DH said to go to.
>They are maybe a bit bigger than
>apples, he called them "common
>mangoes". I know down home we
>had "special mangoes" which cost
>at least $3.00 each. The old man only
>asked for $10.00 for a full bucket, that
>was cheap but he could not tell me how
>to cook them, DH said he would know.
>So now I am lost between roasting them
>in the oven or just zapping them in the MW
>before juicing them to chutney.
>Which should I do, roast or zap?
>And you are pulling my leg when you say
>the foxes will get the mangoes? Foxes
>are very clever, sure, but they cannot fly! LOL.
>
>http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
> Oh god! You DON'T roast or zap mangoes to make chutney, you simmer
> the brew for *hours* to get it just right. Peel them, chop them,
> chuck them in a pot with all the other stuff and slowly simmer until
> you've got a nice uniformly brown mess. (No *yellow*.
>
> Common mangoes are the best too. I have made chutney with the
> stringless Bowens (that's all I've got in the yard) but they tend to
> break down too much and you don't get any nice chunky bits. Still
> good from the flavour POV though, just a texture problem.
>
> Now to turn to fauna: "flying fox" here in the deep north of the deep
> south is the common name for the tree-huggers' "fruit bat". But they
> were "flying fox" back in the late 1800s, so those buggers can stick
> their "bats". ;-)
>
> And if it wasn't so bloody late I would show you visual evidence that
> $10 for a bucket of common mangoes is NOT cheap! (Though it does
> rather depend on the season. :-)

Just winging it here, but do you suppose that it's remotely possible
that the cost of mangos, and other fruits, might vary just a tad
depending on where you're buying them?

> In article >, Chutitdown
> > wrote:
> (Phred), mailed:
> >>In article >, Chutitdown

> > > wrote:
> (Phred) mailed:

> >>Okay, my previous post may have been a bit confusing...
> >>If you've got fully grown BUT STILL UNRIPE mangoes, then go for it!
> >>The very best chutney is made that way. If you get them with even a
> >>touch of yellowing you won't be able to get rid of the colour and
> >>it'll look like baby poo whatever you do. My mangoes are barely the
> >>size of marbles as yet. And the bloody flying fox will be very
> >>aggressive this year as cyclone Larry wiped out their other feeding
> >>option in the rainforest south and east of here..
> >>

> >okay I got the mangoes this morning
> >from the old man DH said to go to.
> >They are maybe a bit bigger than
> >apples, he called them "common
> >mangoes". I know down home we
> >had "special mangoes" which cost
> >at least $3.00 each. The old man only
> >asked for $10.00 for a full bucket, that
> >was cheap but he could not tell me how
> >to cook them, DH said he would know.
> >So now I am lost between roasting them
> >in the oven or just zapping them in the MW
> >before juicing them to chutney.
> >Which should I do, roast or zap?
> >And you are pulling my leg when you say
> >the foxes will get the mangoes? Foxes
> >are very clever, sure, but they cannot fly! LOL.
> >
> >http://home.pacific.net.au/~helpt3k/

> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>, "salgud" > wrote:
>Phred wrote:
>> Oh god! You DON'T roast or zap mangoes to make chutney, you simmer
>> the brew for *hours* to get it just right. Peel them, chop them,
>> chuck them in a pot with all the other stuff and slowly simmer until
>> you've got a nice uniformly brown mess. (No *yellow*.
>>
>> Common mangoes are the best too. I have made chutney with the
>> stringless Bowens (that's all I've got in the yard) but they tend to
>> break down too much and you don't get any nice chunky bits. Still
>> good from the flavour POV though, just a texture problem.
>>
>> Now to turn to fauna: "flying fox" here in the deep north of the deep
>> south is the common name for the tree-huggers' "fruit bat". But they
>> were "flying fox" back in the late 1800s, so those buggers can stick
>> their "bats". ;-)
>>
>> And if it wasn't so bloody late I would show you visual evidence that
>> $10 for a bucket of common mangoes is NOT cheap! (Though it does
>> rather depend on the season. :-)

>Just winging it here, but do you suppose that it's remotely possible
>that the cost of mangos, and other fruits, might vary just a tad
>depending on where you're buying them?

Of course it does. It's not "remotely possible", it's axiomatic!
But how does that make a dear mango a cheap one? It just means some
people have all the luck and the rest missed out. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
> In article om>, "salgud" > wrote:
> >Phred wrote:
> >> Oh god! You DON'T roast or zap mangoes to make chutney, you simmer
> >> the brew for *hours* to get it just right. Peel them, chop them,
> >> chuck them in a pot with all the other stuff and slowly simmer until
> >> you've got a nice uniformly brown mess. (No *yellow*.
> >>
> >> Common mangoes are the best too. I have made chutney with the
> >> stringless Bowens (that's all I've got in the yard) but they tend to
> >> break down too much and you don't get any nice chunky bits. Still
> >> good from the flavour POV though, just a texture problem.
> >>
> >> Now to turn to fauna: "flying fox" here in the deep north of the deep
> >> south is the common name for the tree-huggers' "fruit bat". But they
> >> were "flying fox" back in the late 1800s, so those buggers can stick
> >> their "bats". ;-)
> >>
> >> And if it wasn't so bloody late I would show you visual evidence that
> >> $10 for a bucket of common mangoes is NOT cheap! (Though it does
> >> rather depend on the season. :-)

> >Just winging it here, but do you suppose that it's remotely possible
> >that the cost of mangos, and other fruits, might vary just a tad
> >depending on where you're buying them?

> Of course it does. It's not "remotely possible", it's axiomatic!
> But how does that make a dear mango a cheap one? It just means some
> people have all the luck and the rest missed out. ;-)

It means that in places like Denver, Co, USA, a bucket of mangos for
$10 is cheap, like the poster said. In your part of Awstralia, it may
not be cheap.

> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"salgud" > wrote:
>Phred wrote:
>> In article om>, "salgud"

> > wrote:

>> >Just winging it here, but do you suppose that it's remotely possible
>> >that the cost of mangos, and other fruits, might vary just a tad
>> >depending on where you're buying them?

>> Of course it does. It's not "remotely possible", it's axiomatic!
>> But how does that make a dear mango a cheap one? It just means some
>> people have all the luck and the rest missed out. ;-)

>It means that in places like Denver, Co, USA, a bucket of mangos for
>$10 is cheap, like the poster said. In your part of Awstralia, it may
>not be cheap.

Yeah. Like I said, it's dear. Look, it may be acceptable,
reasonable, expected, whatever, in other places; but it's not
*cheap*. Like smoked salmon here -- it's something like $75/kg, so if
I find it for $65/kg it's less expensive, but it's not *cheap*. Got
it now?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "salgud" > wrote:
> >Phred wrote:

> >> Of course it does. It's not "remotely possible", it's axiomatic!
> >> But how does that make a dear mango a cheap one? It just means some
> >> people have all the luck and the rest missed out. ;-)

> >It means that in places like Denver, Co, USA, a bucket of mangos for
> >$10 is cheap, like the poster said. In your part of Awstralia, it may
> >not be cheap.

> Yeah. Like I said, it's dear. Look, it may be acceptable,
> reasonable, expected, whatever, in other places; but it's not
> *cheap*. Like smoked salmon here -- it's something like $75/kg, so if
> I find it for $65/kg it's less expensive, but it's not *cheap*. Got
> it now?
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

Thanks for that clarification, Phred. But $10 for a bucket here is
cheap! Whether you think it is or not, from 12,000 miles away, is
irrelevant here. Got it now?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Chutitdown wrote:

> So Phred, thanks a ****ing lot for the advice but NO THANKS.
> If I ever see another ****ING MANGO I am running as far away as I
> can. Boob Destroyers is what they should be called, them nwasty
> pretend apples.

Oh My God, Chutitdown! Oh, you poor, poor thing - that is dreadful.
I'm glad though that you know now what you're allergic to and that you
can still have a sense of humour about it. I was horrified for you when
I read your story, ya poor bugger. I so hope you're completely mended
soon. Don't worry bout'chya boobs - worry bout yer wadge; it's way more
useful.

Get well.

- Linda H.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, Chutitdown
> wrote:
(Phred), mailed:

>>Oh god! You DON'T roast or zap mangoes to make chutney, you simmer
>>the brew for *hours* to get it just right. Peel them, chop them,
>>chuck them in a pot with all the other stuff and slowly simmer until
>>you've got a nice uniformly brown mess. (No *yellow*.
>>
>>Common mangoes are the best too. I have made chutney with the
>>stringless Bowens (that's all I've got in the yard) but they tend to
>>break down too much and you don't get any nice chunky bits. Still
>>good from the flavour POV though, just a texture problem.

[...]
>A week later Phred I do write I AM NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>When I put up my message my hands were feeling a bit itchy, today
>after the first night in my own bed, for a week, I am maybe
>starting to get over it all. I have spent my week in hospital and
>am covered in gauze bandage!!
>I have had "Mango Burn", all over!!!

[Snipped gory details from medical record.]

Sorry to hear that. Kids here years ago commonly suffered mango
burn around the mouth from sucking mangoes in season -- the ripe
fruit was "liquefied" by sqeezing it for a while, then the end was
bitten off and the juice sucked out. This is one way of eating
common mangoes without getting "strings" stuck in your teeth.

Never used that approach personally. Our local gang preferred to
load up with ripe mangoes then go and sit on a river bank to peel
and eat them, followed by a swim after to wash off. :-)

I often get a few spots of burn on the arms these days by having to
pick my backyard mangoes (stringless Bowen AKA Kensington Pride)
before they are really ripe in order to beat the bloody flying fox.

Picking immature mangoes is quite a health hazard as the sap sprays
out under some pressure and is hard to avoid entirely. When they
ripen naturally on the tree an abscission layer forms that seals
off the sap flow and the fruit detaches easily from the tree. As
kids we only bothered to harvest ripe ones because we had such a
surplus available to us that even hordes of flying fox hardly made
a dent in the crop.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 06:57:47 GMT, LID
(Phred Pnerk) wrote:

>In article >, Chutitdown
> wrote:
(Phred), mailed:

>Sorry to hear that. Kids here years ago commonly suffered mango
>burn around the mouth from sucking mangoes in season -- the ripe
>fruit was "liquefied" by sqeezing it for a while, then the end was
>bitten off and the juice sucked out. This is one way of eating
>common mangoes without getting "strings" stuck in your teeth.
>
>Never used that approach personally. Our local gang preferred to
>load up with ripe mangoes then go and sit on a river bank to peel
>and eat them, followed by a swim after to wash off. :-)
>
>I often get a few spots of burn on the arms these days by having to
>pick my backyard mangoes (stringless Bowen AKA Kensington Pride)
>before they are really ripe in order to beat the bloody flying fox.
>
>Picking immature mangoes is quite a health hazard as the sap sprays
>out under some pressure and is hard to avoid entirely. When they
>ripen naturally on the tree an abscission layer forms that seals
>off the sap flow and the fruit detaches easily from the tree. As
>kids we only bothered to harvest ripe ones because we had such a
>surplus available to us that even hordes of flying fox hardly made
>a dent in the crop.
>

>Cheers, Phred.

Not everyone is allergic to immature or mature mangoes. I have no
problem and neither do most of my cooking friends, although my grand
mother was allergic.

We ate immature mangoes with a shoyu and sugar "dip."

You are making them sound dangerous when a good mango is probably the
best taste one can ever have.

Just my $.02

aloha,
beans
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, wrote:
>On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 06:57:47 GMT,
LID
>(Phred Pnerk) wrote:
>
>>In article >, Chutitdown
> wrote:
(Phred), mailed:

>>Sorry to hear that. Kids here years ago commonly suffered mango
>>burn around the mouth from sucking mangoes in season -- the ripe
>>fruit was "liquefied" by sqeezing it for a while, then the end was
>>bitten off and the juice sucked out. This is one way of eating
>>common mangoes without getting "strings" stuck in your teeth.
>>
>>Never used that approach personally. Our local gang preferred to
>>load up with ripe mangoes then go and sit on a river bank to peel
>>and eat them, followed by a swim after to wash off. :-)
>>
>>I often get a few spots of burn on the arms these days by having to
>>pick my backyard mangoes (stringless Bowen AKA Kensington Pride)
>>before they are really ripe in order to beat the bloody flying fox.
>>
>>Picking immature mangoes is quite a health hazard as the sap sprays
>>out under some pressure and is hard to avoid entirely. When they
>>ripen naturally on the tree an abscission layer forms that seals
>>off the sap flow and the fruit detaches easily from the tree. As
>>kids we only bothered to harvest ripe ones because we had such a
>>surplus available to us that even hordes of flying fox hardly made
>>a dent in the crop.

>Not everyone is allergic to immature or mature mangoes. I have no
>problem and neither do most of my cooking friends, although my grand
>mother was allergic.
>
>We ate immature mangoes with a shoyu and sugar "dip."
>
>You are making them sound dangerous when a good mango is probably the
>best taste one can ever have.

Mango sap "burn" is not an allergic reaction -- just the response
of bare skin to a caustic sap. Some varieties are worse than
others for this -- especially the "turpentine" types.

And I can only agree -- mangoes are the best of all fruit!

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

feverish wrote:

> Where were you years ago when I first tried to make Jamaican food? It was
> curried something or other (I believe goat.. ) which I substituted with
> chicken. And it was to be served with Mango Chutney.
>
> Well, lemme tell you. I'm a clueless cook. I thought you could buy a jar or
> a can of mango chutney. So, off I went, to every grocery store in central
> Florida.. /sigh

Palm's have been making Pawpaw & Mango Chutney for at least 30
years...readily available here in Oz.. in Hot & Mild variety.
Am seldom withouth a jar of the hot variety on hand - goes wonderfully
well with leg ham, corned beef (silverside), all curries, and extra
matured cheese sandwiches!
Sharwoods and Baxter's both have mango chutney too.

Last night cooked eye fillet, made my usual onion chutney* & remembered
I had cut open a bowen the day before and it was nowhere near ripe
enough to eat. Did the criss-cross in very small strokes on both mango
cheeks then scooped out the flesh with a teaspoon & added it to the
onion chutney.... let me tell you...it was DIVINE!

Mangoes (Bowen) selling here in Bris for 2 for $5 at present.

Onion Chutney
2 large red (Spanish) onions, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp hot red chilli
1 Tblsp kecup manis
1 Tblsp tomato ketchup
1 Tblsp dark brown sugar

Fry the onion, garlic & chilli in a little evoo until onion is soft.
Add sugar and allow to caramelise.
Add kecap manis, tomato ketchup (and the diced green mango) and stir
well.
Add about 1/2 cup good red wine.
Simmer until liquid has reduced and chutney is thickened.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Mango Chutney Wendy and Sue Odberg Recipes 0 24-12-2009 09:37 PM
Mango Chutney Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 10-04-2007 02:26 AM
Mango Chutney MoM Recipes (moderated) 0 30-09-2005 12:41 PM
Mango Chutney Brock Bailey Preserving 0 14-04-2004 09:02 AM
Mango Chutney luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 06-11-2003 07:10 PM