Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Colander & Angel Hair Spaghetti

JoeSpareBedroom scribbled:
> "Dave Smith" wrote:
> > sandi wrote:

> >> Stainless steel wire mesh colander
> >> Search Cooking.com for picture/price if interested.

> > I don't like to use fine screens for draining starchy things. They
> > sometimes get gummed up with a starch and then are a pain in the
> > butt to clean.

To clean sieves (and colanders) use a small scrub brush... veggie
brushes work well.

> A regular colander works just fine.

True, I've never had fine pasta actually slip through the holes of a
colander, a couple of very tips may stick out the hole like maybe a
half inch but that's all.

> Yeah - the screens shred sponges when you try and clean them.

What kind of moron uses a screen to clean sponges?!?!?

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom scribbled:

>> > I don't like to use fine screens for draining starchy things. They
>> > sometimes get gummed up with a starch and then are a pain in the
>> > butt to clean.

> To clean sieves (and colanders) use a small scrub brush... veggie
> brushes work well.
>
>> A regular colander works just fine.

> True, I've never had fine pasta actually slip through the holes of a
> colander, a couple of very tips may stick out the hole like maybe a
> half inch but that's all.
>
>> Yeah - the screens shred sponges when you try and clean them.

> What kind of moron uses a screen to clean sponges?!?!?
>
> Sheldon

Read it again, colon breath.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [Q] Colander & Angel Hair Spaghetti

>>>Stainless steel wire mesh colander
>>>Search Cooking.com for picture/price if interested.

>>I don't like to use fine screens for draining starchy things. They
>>sometimes get gummed up with a starch and then are a pain in the
>>butt to clean. A regular colander works just fine.
>>

> Yeah - the screens shred sponges when you try and clean them.

If the screen gets rinsed right after you use it and it doesn't sit with
pasta drying in it, it's usually not a problem. If something does get
stuck in it, I use a kitchen brush to scrub it with. An old toothbrush
works too. I keep one on the sink.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> That's like....anal. Are you me? :-)

> > Oops, my true colors are showing?
> >
> > Did I mention I put my cereal in Tupperware containers & they have to
> > be on the shelf in order of size. :-)
> >

> That *is* extreme. Clothespins on the original inner bags isn't enough for
> you?

Nope. They would get stale & it looks messy. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"denise~*" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> > Oops, my true colors are showing?
>> >
>> > Did I mention I put my cereal in Tupperware containers & they have to
>> > be on the shelf in order of size. :-)
>> >

>> That *is* extreme. Clothespins on the original inner bags isn't enough
>> for
>> you?

> Nope. They would get stale & it looks messy. :-)

They don't get stale unless you're challenged by the concept of rolling the
top of the bag before clipping. If you can't manage that, you'd be living in
a group home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:

> I don't mind. I rinse and drain & pour food well then rinse, soak
> and scrub my various strainers with a tooth brush or round dish
> brush. No gummed up residue left in mine. :-)

Wayyyyyyyyyy too complicated for me, lol. I just toss my into the
dishwasher and let it handle it. Works like a charm for me.