Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is It the 21st Century Yet??

wrote:

> I'm having the damnedest luck researching this, and I don't know why.
> Maybe it's just not made??
>
> I want to grill my own steaks. At home. On a table. That's all!

> Theres a pretty good reason why you aren't finding anything. Grilling

is messy and smoky and unless you have > an appropriate area with super
good appropriate venting it is best done outside.

Here's a blurb from
http://www.besthings.com/archive/fal...homeCooked.htm

Get Grilling - Indoors

Indoor gas grills are the hot item on every epicure's must have list.
This increasingly popular appliance has home cooks fired up over the
possibilities.

Imagine grilling a steak house quality T-bone from the comfort of your
kitchen in mid-January. Or grilling a tower of portobello mushrooms, red
peppers and zucchini in mere minutes while still keeping an eye on the
oven.

And nothing beats grilled pears with syrup for a simple, sweet treat.
Ever wonder why restaurant food often tastes and looks better than the
same dish prepared at home? It just may be the natural gas grill.

Professional chefs consider the indoor grill an essential kitchen tool.
The steady, intense heat of a natural gas grill is ideal for cooking
tender cuts of meat to perfection.

Chef Alastair Mackay relies on his natural gas grill when cooking for
customers at Sarnia's On the Front restaurant. And, cooking at home for
family and friends is no exception - it's natural gas for the grill and
indoor range.

" To me, food presentation is everything and the visual effect of
grilling is ideal. Steaks just don't look as great without the cross
marks, and I want my grill marks to be at 90 degree angles. Then there's
the flavour - you can be a little more creative with rubs and marinades.
We grill rib eye and flank steaks, salmon and swordfish. Grilled,
boneless chicken breast is a popular lunch item used in wraps, pastas,
salads and sandwiches.

Chef Mackay knows the type of heat the natural gas grill provides is
unbeatable. "The heat of the grill creates the caramelized flavour and
look that I like. It's the most intense heat that we use. I couldn't
throw a steak in the oven and get the same effect."

Fat conscious cooks appreciate that grilling food is an ultra lean
cooking method. Not only is there limited added fat in the cooking
process, but much of the existing fat drips away. Finally, home cooks
also love the ease of clean up. Prepare the whole dinner on the grill
and there won't be any pots or pans to scrub.
---------

I can recall seeing people grilling at table with gas in various Asian
restaurants, have you tried a google search of "asian indoor gas grill'?

Here's a page on indoor charcoal grilling

http://www.kamado.com/New_Kamado_Charcoal.htm

Apparently there are lots of small gas grills available, indoor
ventilation being the only issue one would need to deal with.

http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/jerupotacaga.html
---
JL

But electric doesn't seem to really do the job, on account of the low
temperatures. So gas seems the way to go. But, heck, where are these
things?? Doesn't anyone make a simple gas grill that sits on the table
or counter top and can be used indoors? Okay, so I need ventilation:
I'll leave the window open and have a fan blowing.

I tried looking and looking but no one seems to make such a thing! I
just need to directly cook over flames in an apartment, and I can't buy
some huge fancy restaurant-grade contraption.

Now, in the meantime, I came across something called infrared grilling!
Sounds interesting, but they are at least a grand and a half for the
low-end models, and I need them smaller, anyway.

So does anyone have any recommendations? Or am I forced to use a
portable tabletop CHARCOAL grill indoors?? (That means I'll have to
buy an industrial-strength fan, too, in all likelihood!)

I can't believe it's so hard to get a fire started in 2006 A.D. =)

Thanks in advance for any advice! I want to cook meat directly over
flames, but indoors, in an apartment, no less! I don't know why, but
all the grilling stuff I can google are either outdoors or electric or
over fireplaces!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

....snip

I think the key here is the type of equipment. Yes, professional commercial
kitchens have specially installed gas, or even charcoal, grills . But they
are installed under the appropriate hood which have fire suppression systems
installed. You can even install these expensive pieces of commercial gear in
a residential kitchen.... IF installed with all the necessary adaptations
and precautions. There are even residential versions of gas range/grill/oven
hybrids which are still expensive, but designed specifically for residential
environs.

Doing TRUE grilling on open flame portable grills -- meant for outdoor
use -- is dangerous. And in the case of the OP, it isn't just dangerous for
her but for others in her apartment complex.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

Wrong attribution. I did not write the following. But merely commented
that it is done commonly in asia and asian restaurants. And that there
are indoor gas grills commercially available.
---
JL

> ...snip
>
> I think the key here is the type of equipment. Yes, professional commercial
> kitchens have specially installed gas, or even charcoal, grills . But they
> are installed under the appropriate hood which have fire suppression systems
> installed. You can even install these expensive pieces of commercial gear in
> a residential kitchen.... IF installed with all the necessary adaptations
> and precautions. There are even residential versions of gas range/grill/oven
> hybrids which are still expensive, but designed specifically for residential
> environs.
>
> Doing TRUE grilling on open flame portable grills -- meant for outdoor
> use -- is dangerous. And in the case of the OP, it isn't just dangerous for
> her but for others in her apartment complex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Wrong attribution. I did not write the following. But merely
> commented that it is done commonly in asia and asian restaurants. And that
> there are indoor gas grills commercially available.

Sorry :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg said...

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
> ...snip
>
> I think the key here is the type of equipment. Yes, professional
> commercial kitchens have specially installed gas, or even charcoal,
> grills . But they are installed under the appropriate hood which have
> fire suppression systems installed. You can even install these
> expensive pieces of commercial gear in a residential kitchen.... IF
> installed with all the necessary adaptations and precautions. There
> are even residential versions of gas range/grill/oven hybrids which
> are still expensive, but designed specifically for residential
> environs.
>
> Doing TRUE grilling on open flame portable grills -- meant for outdoor
> use -- is dangerous. And in the case of the OP, it isn't just
> dangerous for her but for others in her apartment complex.

Outdoor grills inside are a death sentence, obviously.

I've got an indoor 6,000 watt electric grill in my home that the original
owners installed back in 1969. They sat it in 1-1/2 inch slate,
surrounded by 'used' fire brick with an aluminum overhead industrial dual
exhaust fan/dual light configuration.

I've caught the electric lava rocks on fire from too much grease
shooting flames four feet into the fans and totally smoking up the entire
house.

I shut off the power and threw the grill's aluminum cover over the grill
to strangle the fire.

Today's new stoves with the many burner, bbq and grill configs, with the
right ventilation and ample surrounding air/counterspace are more than
sufficient.

But as you said, charcoal indoors is out of the question. It would
certanily cancel any fire insurance policy and "burnin' down the house"
would be a get into jail free invite.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>>

> Wrong attribution. I did not write the following. But merely commented
> that it is done commonly in asia and asian restaurants. And that there
> are indoor gas grills commercially available.
> ---

Agree, we were just at a Korean BBQ last week. Its not so much that
indoor grilling is a problem it is having the proper equipment to do it.
In the case of the BBQ there was a hood over each grill and a fairly
large volume fan pulling the smoke and grease outside. And certainly a
residential kitchen can be fitted with a gas grill with appropriate
hood/exhaust system.

The OP wanted to grill a steak in his apartment without the hood or
exhaust system.