Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default That Spicy Cabbage at Chinese Restaurants...

Anyone got a recipe?

Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
the raw cabbage.

Am I close?

--
The generation that used acid to escape reality
is now using antacid to deal with reality

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:09:23 -0400, DWACON wrote:
>
> > Anyone got a recipe?
> >
> > Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
> > the raw cabbage.
> >
> > Am I close?

> It's called kimchi (or kimchee). No vinegar. It produces it's
> own lactic acid as it ferments. Plenty of recipes on the net, but
> they're not for beginners.

There's a segment on the making of kimchee in Tony Bourdain's "No
Reservations" episode on Korea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON wrote:
> Anyone got a recipe?
>
> Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
> the raw cabbage.
>
> Am I close?

If the other posters are correct and it is Kimchee it has those plus
hot peppers, lots of garlic, the odd bit of squid and ??? what am I
forgetting?

Any decent Asian shop should have a jar or two.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> DWACON wrote:
> > Anyone got a recipe?
> >
> > Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to

pickle
> > the raw cabbage.
> >
> > Am I close?

> If the other posters are correct and it is Kimchee it has those plus
> hot peppers, lots of garlic, the odd bit of squid and ??? what am I
> forgetting?
>
> Any decent Asian shop should have a jar or two.

You can have crab kim-chee, squid kim-chee, fish kim-chee, shrimp kim-chee
AND veggie kim-chee. The main ingredient is cabbage and the spicy liquid.
I had a Korean friend on Maui who used to make it all the time. She'd stuff
a huge jar with the ingredients (secret family recipe, of course) and bury
it in the yard for about 3 months or so. Then she'd dig it out and serve
it. I won't touch anything spicy, but my ex-husband and my best friend back
there declared it the best they ever had. (Hers didn't have any kind of
meat in it at all.)

My husband loves kim-chee, so I called my friend, Yon Hui, up to get her
recipe so I might try to make it. She wouldn't budge. Darn it!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Humans struggle to get carbs . Humans use 99% carbs to fuel body .
People not saited , turn to hot peppers and vinegar and liquor and
anything ....... its a struggle ....to get blood sugar to their
"demand"

But those who are healthy and thus easily get carbs , develope
a mind that rememebers flavor , for the promise of the best carbs /
high blood sugar .
Sugar is carb . Sugar can make you fat , but if you cant take in
sugar ?
( Asians have problems with carbs , lactose , thus lean body mass )

Asians and poor people like spicy for they are struggling to get
carbs into their blood .

The best cooks know how to make carbs taste good .
That is , how to make your mind want that food , cause the
last time you ate it , it released the most seratonin ,endorphins .
A healthy person releases more if that food gives higher sugar .
Starch is turned to sugar in the mouth and many other places !
But if your genes can't make it sugar ?
Now you are confused , put halapenos/oregano/holy basil/salt on it .
The healthiest people need less spices to excite them about the
sugar . A very fat person thinks white bread tastes great .
Fat people like all foods ! Asians cant seem to find any food
that tastes good , for their minds can't find sugar /carbs .
Its a congenital defect in poor people . They can not make
as much blood sugar as rich people . Thus they have no
chance of fame from cooking .
French , American , Italian are cooks , poor people are not .

Now on to sugar cooking ....

Boil all sucrose to syrup , frig it . Never cook with raw sugar .
you can add salt , vanilla , butter ,cinamon
It converts maltose , a less sweet sugar that tastes far better .
If only brewers would sell maltose !! THEY DO ! Search for it ...

replace Vinegar with citric acid . They are "carbs" , along with Vit
C !

DWACON wrote:
> Anyone got a recipe?
>
> Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
> the raw cabbage.
>
> Am I close?
>

> --
> The generation that used acid to escape reality
> is now using antacid to deal with reality
> http://www.dwacon.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

DWACON wrote:
> Anyone got a recipe?
>
> Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
> the raw cabbage.
>
> Am I close?

I don't think the dish is so universally served that we necessarily
know what you are referring to, but here is a sweet and sour cabbage
dish that may be close, from the highly recommended "Breath of a Wok"
by Grace Young:

Sweet and Sour Cabbage

Mix together and set aside:
1 TB Shao Xing rice wine or dry sherry
1 TB soy sauce
3 tsp Chinkiang (Chinese black) vinegar, or balsamic
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cornstarch

Mince 2 TB fresh ginger.
Slice 1 lb. Napa (Chinese) cabbage cosswise, thinly.
Slice 1 cup carrots, thinly (optional).
Mince 2 TB scallions.

Heat a heavy pan or wok over high heat. Add 2 TB oil, then stirfry the
ginger a few seconds, then add the cabbage (and optional carrots, if
using). Stirfry until cabbage is just limp, about 2 minutes. Stir in
the liquid mixture, stir constantly for about 30 seconds. Sprinkle
with scallions and serve immediately.

Note: the Chinkiang vinegar is worth an excursion to an Asian market
to find. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> Somebody threw out the word "kimchee" in this thread. I don't think the
> original poster was referring to this product at all. Kimchee is from
> Korea and is fermented. The OP was referring to stuff from a Chinese
> restaurant. The one place I've had this, it was fresh and not fermented.

I agree. The

chinese rest. around here have a fresh chunked white cabbage in a
little water, a little sugar, rice vinegar, and hot chili flakes. Not
fermented at all. very fast to make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2006 13:48:58 -0700, aem wrote:

> I get worried when I see recipes like this:
>
> 1 TB of this ingredient
> 1 TB of that ingredient
> 3 tsp of some other ingredient
>
> What's wrong (or at least inconsistent) with that list?

I suppose you mean that you already know that 3 tsp = 1 TB, huh? BFD.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> DWACON wrote:
> > Anyone got a recipe?
> >
> > Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
> > the raw cabbage.
> >
> > Am I close?

> If the other posters are correct and it is Kimchee it has those plus
> hot peppers, lots of garlic, the odd bit of squid and ??? what am I
> forgetting?
>
> Any decent Asian shop should have a jar or two.

Indeed, most places that sell the stuff sell numerous varieties of it.

The Koreans supposedly believe kimchee keeps colds away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:09:23 -0400, DWACON wrote:
>
> > Anyone got a recipe?
> >
> > Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
> > the raw cabbage.
> >
> > Am I close?

> It's called kimchi (or kimchee). No vinegar. It produces it's
> own lactic acid as it ferments. Plenty of recipes on the net, but
> they're not for beginners.

And you won't find kimchee on a Chinese menu, kimchee is Korean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-29, aem > wrote:

> I suppose you mean that you already know that 3 tsp = 1 TB, huh? BFD.
> -aem

I think he was referring to mixing abbreviation conventions. One
style would be:

1 tsp
1 tbsp

.....another is:

1 T
1 t

Mixing the two is confusing. While I think most of us understand what
you meant, I have to say I've never seen TB, ever.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-09-29, aem > wrote:
>
> > I suppose you mean that you already know that 3 tsp = 1 TB, huh? BFD.
> > -aem

> I think he was referring to mixing abbreviation conventions. One
> style would be:
>
> 1 tsp
> 1 tbsp
>
> ....another is:
>
> 1 T
> 1 t
>
> Mixing the two is confusing. While I think most of us understand what
> you meant, I have to say I've never seen TB, ever.

You haven't been to Central America.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON > wrote:

> Anyone got a recipe?
>
> Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
> the raw cabbage.
>
> Am I close?

At <http://www.china.org.cn/english/food/68831.htm> there is a recipe
that appears close to what you are describing.

Victor

Spicy Chinese Cabbage

Ingredients:
500 grams (1.1 lb) outer leaves of tender Chinese cabbage
2 dried red chilies
10 gram (1/3 oz) ginger shredded
10 grams (1 2/3 tsp) salt
60 grams (4 2/3 tbsp) sugar
25 grams (1 2/3 tbsp) vinegar
20 grams (1 1/2 tbsp) oil
1,000 grams (2 cups) water

Directions:

1. Wash the cabbage clean and cut it along the grain into shreds 5 cm (2
inches) long and 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) wide. Put in a basin. Add 10 g (1 2/3
tsp) of salt and put on the cover to let cabbage marinate for 4 hours.
Take out, remove the liquid and put the cabbage back in the basin. Cut
the red chilies into thin shreds.

2. Heat the oil to 180-220°C (356-390°F) and stir-fry the red chilies.
Add water, sugar and ginger. Stir well, and when it starts to boil, add
the vinegar and turn off the fire. Pour this sauce into the basin with
cabbage. Put on the cover and marinate another 4 hours before serving.

Features: Brightly colored, crispy and refreshing to the bite.

Taste: Sweet, sour and spicy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On 29 Sep 2006 13:48:58 -0700, aem wrote:

> > I get worried when I see recipes like this:
> >
> > 1 TB of this ingredient
> > 1 TB of that ingredient
> > 3 tsp of some other ingredient
> >
> > What's wrong (or at least inconsistent) with that list?

> I suppose you mean that you already know that 3 tsp = 1 TB, huh? BFD.

I think what he meant was "if it says 4 quarts of orange juice
and 1 Gal of grain alcohol," it might be that someone along
the line made a transcription error and the recipe might be
wrong by an unknown amount.

Which might just be a big FD, or not, depending on the recipe.
Seems like a valid observation, anyway.

Mike Beede
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Not Kimchee (was: That Spicy Cabbage at Chinese Restaurants...)

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:09:23 -0400, DWACON wrote:
>
>> Anyone got a recipe?
>>
>> Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
>> the raw cabbage.
>>
>> Am I close?

> It's called kimchi (or kimchee). No vinegar. It produces it's
> own lactic acid as it ferments. Plenty of recipes on the net, but
> they're not for beginners.
>
> -sw

I know what kimchee is -- this is different.

This is a sweet spicy cabbage in CHINESE (not Korean) restaurants...

--
I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
http://www.dwacon.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> DWACON > wrote:
>
>> Anyone got a recipe?
>>
>> Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
>> the raw cabbage.
>>
>> Am I close?

> At <http://www.china.org.cn/english/food/68831.htm> there is a recipe
> that appears close to what you are describing.
>
> Victor
>
> Spicy Chinese Cabbage
>

> Ingredients:
> 500 grams (1.1 lb) outer leaves of tender Chinese cabbage
> 2 dried red chilies
> 10 gram (1/3 oz) ginger shredded
> 10 grams (1 2/3 tsp) salt
> 60 grams (4 2/3 tbsp) sugar
> 25 grams (1 2/3 tbsp) vinegar
> 20 grams (1 1/2 tbsp) oil
> 1,000 grams (2 cups) water
>
> Directions:
>
> 1. Wash the cabbage clean and cut it along the grain into shreds 5 cm (2
> inches) long and 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) wide. Put in a basin. Add 10 g (1 2/3
> tsp) of salt and put on the cover to let cabbage marinate for 4 hours.
> Take out, remove the liquid and put the cabbage back in the basin. Cut
> the red chilies into thin shreds.
>
> 2. Heat the oil to 180-220°C (356-390°F) and stir-fry the red chilies.
> Add water, sugar and ginger. Stir well, and when it starts to boil, add
> the vinegar and turn off the fire. Pour this sauce into the basin with
> cabbage. Put on the cover and marinate another 4 hours before serving.
>
> Features: Brightly colored, crispy and refreshing to the bite.
>
> Taste: Sweet, sour and spicy.

THANK YOU !!!!

Or, as they say in China...

XIE XIE !!!!

--
I filled a lightbulb with helium and got enlightened
http://www.dwacon.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON > wrote in message
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> > On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:09:23 -0400, DWACON wrote:

> > > Anyone got a recipe?
> > >
> > > Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and
> > > ginger to pickle the raw cabbage.
> > >
> > > Am I close?

> > It's called kimchi (or kimchee). No vinegar. It produces
> > it's own lactic acid as it ferments. Plenty of recipes on
> > the net, but they're not for beginners.
> >

> I know what kimchee is -- this is different.
>
> This is a sweet spicy cabbage in CHINESE (not Korean)
> restaurants...

Two local (to me) Chinese restaurants offer this cabbage
appetizer -- it's listed at both as "Kimchee." It sure is good (and
addictive) stuff! One restaurant uses lots of paprika, too, in
addition to finely ground peppercorns.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, (Victor Sack) wrote:
>DWACON > wrote:
>
>> Anyone got a recipe?
>>
>> Just from taste, I gather it contains vinegar, sugar and ginger to pickle
>> the raw cabbage.
>>
>> Am I close?

>At <http://www.china.org.cn/english/food/68831.htm> there is a recipe
>that appears close to what you are describing.
>
> Spicy Chinese Cabbage
>
>Ingredients:
>500 grams (1.1 lb) outer leaves of tender Chinese cabbage
>2 dried red chilies
>10 gram (1/3 oz) ginger shredded
>10 grams (1 2/3 tsp) salt
>60 grams (4 2/3 tbsp) sugar
>25 grams (1 2/3 tbsp) vinegar
>20 grams (1 1/2 tbsp) oil
>1,000 grams (2 cups) water

Vic, are you sure of that last conversion? Here in Oz our metric
"cup" is 250 ml, which is only 250 g of H2O not 500 g.

>Directions:
>
>1. Wash the cabbage clean and cut it along the grain into shreds 5 cm (2
>inches) long and 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) wide. Put in a basin. Add 10 g (1 2/3
>tsp) of salt and put on the cover to let cabbage marinate for 4 hours.
>Take out, remove the liquid and put the cabbage back in the basin. Cut
>the red chilies into thin shreds.
>
>2. Heat the oil to 180-220°C (356-390°F) and stir-fry the red chilies.
>Add water, sugar and ginger. Stir well, and when it starts to boil, add
>the vinegar and turn off the fire. Pour this sauce into the basin with
>cabbage. Put on the cover and marinate another 4 hours before serving.
>
>Features: Brightly colored, crispy and refreshing to the bite.
>
>Taste: Sweet, sour and spicy.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Have you tried googling for chinese coleslaw?

Who knows. It might work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Mike Beede wrote:

> I think what he meant was "if it says 4 quarts of orange juice
> and 1 Gal of grain alcohol," it might be that someone along
> the line made a transcription error and the recipe might be
> wrong by an unknown amount.
>
> Which might just be a big FD, or not, depending on the recipe.
> Seems like a valid observation, anyway.

Well, I think you're right, though I hate to admit the smartass has a
point. Fact is, the original recipe called for 2 tsp Chinkiang vinegar
and I upped it to 3 because it's better that way. His lexicological
persnicketiness caught the inconsistency. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred > wrote:

> (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
> >At <http://www.china.org.cn/english/food/68831.htm> there is a recipe
> >that appears close to what you are describing.
> >
> > Spicy Chinese Cabbage
> >
> >Ingredients:
> >500 grams (1.1 lb) outer leaves of tender Chinese cabbage
> >2 dried red chilies
> >10 gram (1/3 oz) ginger shredded
> >10 grams (1 2/3 tsp) salt
> >60 grams (4 2/3 tbsp) sugar
> >25 grams (1 2/3 tbsp) vinegar
> >20 grams (1 1/2 tbsp) oil
> >1,000 grams (2 cups) water

> Vic, are you sure of that last conversion? Here in Oz our metric
> "cup" is 250 ml, which is only 250 g of H2O not 500 g.

Indeed, you are right. I just copied the recipe from the Web site, I
didn't check the conversions.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
> >At <http://www.china.org.cn/english/food/68831.htm> there is a recipe
> >that appears close to what you are describing.
> >
> > Spicy Chinese Cabbage
> >
> >Ingredients:
> >500 grams (1.1 lb) outer leaves of tender Chinese cabbage
> >2 dried red chilies
> >10 gram (1/3 oz) ginger shredded
> >10 grams (1 2/3 tsp) salt
> >60 grams (4 2/3 tbsp) sugar
> >25 grams (1 2/3 tbsp) vinegar
> >20 grams (1 1/2 tbsp) oil
> >1,000 grams (2 cups) water

> Vic, are you sure of that last conversion? Here in Oz our metric
> "cup" is 250 ml, which is only 250 g of H2O not 500 g.

Maybe it's heavy water. The Chinese are really into that lately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> My husband loves kim-chee, so I called my friend, Yon Hui, up to get her
> recipe so I might try to make it. She wouldn't budge. Darn it!
>
> kili

Why the big secret? Do her relatives own restaurants or manufacture
this product commercially?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> kilikini wrote:
> > My husband loves kim-chee, so I called my friend, Yon Hui, up to get her
> > recipe so I might try to make it. She wouldn't budge. Darn it!
> >
> > kili

> Why the big secret? Do her relatives own restaurants or manufacture
> this product commercially?

No, it's just her family's secret recipe. She won't give it up.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favourite family recipes [Was: That Spicy Cabbage at Chinese Restaurants...]

In article .com>,
" > wrote:
>kilikini wrote:
>> My husband loves kim-chee, so I called my friend, Yon Hui, up to get her
>> recipe so I might try to make it. She wouldn't budge. Darn it!

>Why the big secret? Do her relatives own restaurants or manufacture
>this product commercially?

Geez, mate, how naive can you get? *All* family cooks with an
intergenerational reputation as "good cooks" (or perhaps more commonly
known for their skill in the preparation of particular dishes)
*invariably* omit the key ingredient or quantity or process when
induced to "reluctantly" part with that special recipe at the behest
of their closest friends and favourite relatives. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 01 Oct 2006 04:30:14a, kilikini meant to say...

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> kilikini wrote:
>> > My husband loves kim-chee, so I called my friend, Yon Hui, up to get

her
>> > recipe so I might try to make it. She wouldn't budge. Darn it!
>> >
>> > kili

>> Why the big secret? Do her relatives own restaurants or manufacture
>> this product commercially?
>>

> No, it's just her family's secret recipe. She won't give it up.
>
> kili

Secret recipe? Harumph! I really hate it when people do that. It's not
like your going to steal it and go into business.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats don't correct your stories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
. ..
> Phred > wrote:
>
>> (Victor Sack) wrote:
>>
>> >At <http://www.china.org.cn/english/food/68831.htm> there is a recipe

> Victor

Kimchi? Relatively easy to make. I like the fermented styles best but
fresh as well as the radish ones are also very good .

For a quick lunch in the winter to warm up I will make up a 10cent pack of
Ramon Noodles, add a couple of cups extra water than called for, raid the
fridge for left-over meats such as chicken, even shredded up lunch meat will
work, throw in a handful of frozen mixed veggies and a big chunk of
fermented Kimchi, half a jar is good for one person. This is my American
version of Kimchi kuk (Kimchi soup). Either bulgogi or bulgalbi served
with Fried Tofu Kimchi are another favorite. Pumpkin/squash soup with
Kimchi in it is another good recipe.

Explore around this guys website (look for the main button at the top and
then the country on the right hand side): He has a lot of recipes which are
pretty good but his recipes for Kimchi are in this area:
http://www.desertmodernism.com/blog/korea/.

My wife is telling me more veggies and less meat so if anyone has other good
Asian recipe sites or cookbooks, please post them. Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
> In article .com>,
> " > wrote:
> >kilikini wrote:
> >> My husband loves kim-chee, so I called my friend, Yon Hui, up to get her
> >> recipe so I might try to make it. She wouldn't budge. Darn it!

> >Why the big secret? Do her relatives own restaurants or manufacture
> >this product commercially?

> Geez, mate, how naive can you get? *All* family cooks with an
> intergenerational reputation as "good cooks" (or perhaps more commonly
> known for their skill in the preparation of particular dishes)
> *invariably* omit the key ingredient or quantity or process when
> induced to "reluctantly" part with that special recipe at the behest
> of their closest friends and favourite relatives. ;-)
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

i am naive that way, i always need help when people talk about families
since i don't have one. so thanks for clearing that up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Not Kimchee

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:20:28 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:29:24 -0400, DWACON wrote:
>
>> I know what kimchee is -- this is different.
>>
>> This is a sweet spicy cabbage in CHINESE (not Korean) restaurants...

>Make kimchi and add sugar.

Works well, thankyou.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Red Red is offline

On 29-Sep-2006, Dan Abel > wrote:

> Kimchee is from Korea and is fermented.

I used to think so too, until a trip to Korea last March with the Army.

According to the Korean Folk Museum's display, Kimchee is the Korean word
for “Pickled”, not "Fermented". Kimchee is any vegetable that is pickled.
The most common one is cabbage, but there are hundreds of others. Another
common belief is that making Kimchee involves burying it while it ferments.
This is only true of “winter kimchee”. It is aged in a pit below ground to
keep it from freezing while it ages.

The Mess Hall (a joint US/Korean facility) had a couple different types of
cabbage kimchee plus a radish-based one. The Radish variety was quite good.