Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is the *least* amount of oil necessary for pan frying?

I would like to pan fry some fish(cod) or perhaps some chicken breasts.
I was thinking of just a simple egg and bread crumb coating.
Trying to cut down on the overall cals though. What is the leats amount
of oil you think that could do the job of cooking the fish or chicken
breasts? 1 or 2 tablespoons maybe?
I guess I could just go ahead and do it but I am a little bored at work
and thought I'd think about cooking a little.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

TheGist wrote:
> I would like to pan fry some fish(cod) or perhaps some chicken breasts.
> I was thinking of just a simple egg and bread crumb coating.
> Trying to cut down on the overall cals though. What is the leats amount
> of oil you think that could do the job of cooking the fish or chicken
> breasts? 1 or 2 tablespoons maybe?
> I guess I could just go ahead and do it but I am a little bored at work
> and thought I'd think about cooking a little.

If you want to minimize oil for breaded fish or chicken fillets then
you're simply using the oil to keep the fillets from sticking to the
pan, not as a flavoring agent. In that case, preheat the pan, then add
just enough oil to film the bottom of the pan. One or two teaspoons
will do. Swirly it around, put in the breaded fillets/cutlets and let
them brown. Don't try to move them for the first couple of minutes.
After that, when they will move easily when you nudge them with a
spatula, turn and finish. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheGist > wrote:
>I would like to pan fry some fish(cod) or perhaps some chicken breasts.
>I was thinking of just a simple egg and bread crumb coating.

The breading makes it a little tough to go near-zero
fat because it soaks up some oil that becomes part of the
structural matrix of the crust.

>Trying to cut down on the overall cals though. What is the leats amount
>of oil you think that could do the job of cooking the fish or chicken
>breasts? 1 or 2 tablespoons maybe?

Stop breading things. Spice them and sear them in minimal
oil instead. Without the excess fat, you won't miss
the breading.

>I guess I could just go ahead and do it but I am a little bored at work
>and thought I'd think about cooking a little.

About half a teaspoon of oil, spread on a chicken breast
or piece of fish before putting it in the pan, is plenty
to cook it and flavor it and lubricate it (use a nonstick
pan anyway; why tempt the protein/metal-bonding demons?).

That's roughly 2 grams of fat. If you make a 50% error in
that you're still doing pretty good.

Put the spices on the meat after you oil it (or, put it
in the pan, spice the top, then when you flip it, spice
the bottom; the seared and unseared spices give you a two-
layer depth). Don't forget the salt.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TheGist > wrote in news:%NTRg.1722$5J3.869
@newsfe18.lga:

> Trying to cut down on the overall cals though. What is the leats amount
> of oil you think that could do the job of cooking the fish or chicken
> breasts?

Fry it right and the amt is irrelevant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> If you want to minimize oil for breaded fish or chicken fillets then
> you're simply using the oil to keep the fillets from sticking to the
> pan, not as a flavoring agent. In that case, preheat the pan, then add
> just enough oil to film the bottom of the pan. One or two teaspoons
> will do. Swirly it around, put in the breaded fillets/cutlets and let
> them brown. Don't try to move them for the first couple of minutes.
> After that, when they will move easily when you nudge them with a
> spatula, turn and finish. -aem

Great advice. I tried this last night and the results were quite good.
Thanks!

Amount of tea for this thermos? Joss Wright Tea 4 20-11-2006 12:33 AM
Starter Amount HUTCHNDI Sourdough 13 15-01-2005 10:46 AM
Starter Amount HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 10-01-2005 04:46 PM
Amount of cake mix to use Baking 8 13-08-2004 05:31 AM
Turkey - Amount per person? Barry Barbecue 20 25-11-2003 02:51 AM