HUTCHNDI

Default Starter Amount

This is very confusing. All of the literature I can find on making a basic
loaf of sourdough bread is so different on this, king arthur flour says to
use a 1/4 teaspoon of starter. Mr O'Shaughnessey says a tablespoon. Some of
the web recipes say as much as two cups!!!! My schedule is such that a 24
hour (per Shaughnessy again) sponge development fits nicely, and I found a
nice warm place in my basement (I have a steam boiler, and it keeps it nice
around 75 to 80 degrees down there all winter). I dont understand why
there is so much difference in recipes that apparently make the same amount
of bread. HELP!

Carl's Starter + Mike's San Franciso Starter Recipe, First Attempt Yah Evets Sourdough 4 05-05-2009 07:47 PM
Amount of tea for this thermos? Joss Wright Tea 4 20-11-2006 01:33 AM
What is the *least* amount of oil necessary for pan frying? TheGist General Cooking 4 27-09-2006 04:36 PM
Starter Amount HUTCHNDI Sourdough 13 15-01-2005 11:46 AM
Amount of cake mix to use Baking 8 13-08-2004 05:31 AM