Posted to rec.gardens.edible,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.asian.american,rec.food.cooking

Default Does anyone have experience dehydrating Chinese vegetables?

J.Venning wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message ps.com...
> > I've read people hanging up pak choi to dry. I like to preserve bitter
> > melon, Chinese okra (cee gwa), winter melon. My winter melons rot
> > easily. Bitter melon ripens very fast and cee gwa gets tough very
> > quickly. Since I usually get a big bunch bearing at the same time,
> > much of it goes to waste.
> >

> Ever tried a Google search on the subject? "Dehydrating vegetables" has about 2,510 topics.
> J.

OTOH google turned up nothing on "Dehydrating chinese vegetables". I'm
actually more interested in what dishes the dehydrated stuff is used.
Obviously the dried veges won't be used in stir fry. I think dired pak
choi soup taste better than green pak choi soup. Don't think I've had
other dried veges.

Posted to rec.gardens.edible,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.asian.american,rec.food.cooking

> I've read people hanging up pak choi to dry. I like to preserve bitter
> melon, Chinese okra (cee gwa), winter melon. My winter melons rot
> easily. Bitter melon ripens very fast and cee gwa gets tough very
> much of it goes to waste.

I haven't yet dehydrated Chinese vegetables per se, but I *have*,
often, dehydrated mushrooms (some Chinese, some not).

Generally speaking, after much research, and trying 2 other models of
dehydrator, I cannot highly enough recommend the Excalibur dehydrator.
It is more expensive than many others, but it is *fantastic*, and you
get both a high degree of control (great thermostat, wonderful fan
placement) and a lot of drying space (9 racks).

Here's one of my "mushrooms in the dehydrator" recipes:

http://www.adventuresinrawfood.com/s...the-dehydrator

Anne
---
Personal: http://www.MangeMerde.com
The Raw: http://www.AdventuresInRawFood.com
The Law: http://www.DearEsq.com
The Net: http://www.TheInternetPatrol.com

Posted to rec.gardens.edible,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.asian.american,rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message ups.com...
>> "James" > wrote in message ps.com...
>> > I've read people hanging up pak choi to dry. I like to preserve bitter
>> > melon, Chinese okra (cee gwa), winter melon. My winter melons rot
>> > easily. Bitter melon ripens very fast and cee gwa gets tough very
>> > quickly. Since I usually get a big bunch bearing at the same time,
>> > much of it goes to waste.
>> >

>> Ever tried a Google search on the subject? "Dehydrating vegetables" has about 2,510 topics.

> OTOH google turned up nothing on "Dehydrating chinese vegetables". I'm
> actually more interested in what dishes the dehydrated stuff is used.
> Obviously the dried veges won't be used in stir fry. I think dired pak
> choi soup taste better than green pak choi soup. Don't think I've had
> other dried veges.

I know that, and I would have told you that it did, had I found it. I was hoping you would sieve through and find one that dealt with Chinese veg. Incidentally, have you ever tried fresh Chinese mustard cabbage? It's called "kai choi" in Cantonese, and "jie cai" in Mandarin, and I can tell you, there is *nothing* on this good Earth that can beat that when placed in a soup (not cooked with it).
J.
Posted to rec.gardens.edible,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.asian.american,rec.food.cooking

Are these wild mushrooms or do you grow you own? I've grown some
Shiitake in the back yard. I get some now and then depending on rain
and temperature.